DJI Mavic Hyperlapse (Stabilized)
2494 22 2018-6-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bertusjwz
lvl.2
Netherlands

Hi Guys,

Just tried to make an hyperlapse for the first time with my Mavic. I used RAW so I had  to press the shutter button manually instead of using an interval (because thats locked at 10 seconds for some reason on the mavic). The quality is good but for some reason the footage is kind of shaky. I already did stabilize in premiere with Warp Stabilizer. But it doesn't get any better than this. I used 2 waypoints so I don't know why its shaky like this. There wasn't any wind blowing. I'm wondering if I am doing something wrong or anyone has soms suggestions or tips for me. This is the video:

Thanks in advance!

2018-6-7
Use props
spookster
Second Officer
Flight distance : 419649 ft
Germany

hard to say anything if you already altered the footage
2018-6-7
Use props
bertusjwz
lvl.2
Netherlands

spookster Posted at 2018-6-7 06:25
hard to say anything if you already altered the footage

what do you mean? why is that hard to say? the raw footage is the same but then a little bit shakier..
2018-6-7
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

bertusjwz Posted at 2018-6-7 06:36
what do you mean? why is that hard to say? the raw footage is the same but then a little bit shakier..

This is a tough nut to crack as the any of DJI's drones are always moving as far as the camera is concerned due to accelerometers maintaining level flight. Always use tripod mode, here is an example using TMode, notice the slight stutter in the footage as the video progresses. This is stabilized and rendered at 1080p/120FPS to help eliminate the stutter (which is the limit of PowerDirector 16 Ultimate). To really smooth out the video you would need software that can render a minimum of 240FPS or higher (very expensive), which in turn would require many more frames to accomplish a 10-20 second hyperlapse. This example was shot in JPEG (which will allow 2S intervals, JPEG and Raw will allow 5S intervals, and RAW will only allow 10S intervals.

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 1&extra=#pid1376022 Scroll to the top of the page for example
2018-6-7
Use props
JBSonic
Second Officer
Flight distance : 779019 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I use video recording rather than image sequences to achieve ultra smooth post stabilised Hyperlapse shots with the Mavic Pro
2018-6-7
Use props
bertusjwz
lvl.2
Netherlands

JBSonic Posted at 2018-6-7 07:50
I use video recording rather than image sequences to achieve ultra smooth post stabilised Hyperlapse shots with the Mavic Pro
Mavic Pro Hyperlapse

Yeah, I know video is a lot smoother then image sequence. But in RAW you have a lot more possibilities and the quality is also much better then video.
2018-6-7
Use props
Jyunte
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2103150 ft

bertusjwz Posted at 2018-6-7 08:12
Yeah, I know video is a lot smoother then image sequence. But in RAW you have a lot more possibilities and the quality is also much better then video.

And speeding up video is not timelapse, but fast forwarding. A different concept, since fast forwarding still contains contiguous images that in themselves make smooth motion. Timelapse is made from still images separated by relatively long periods (several seconds or more).
2018-6-7
Use props
bertusjwz
lvl.2
Netherlands

Jyunte Posted at 2018-6-7 21:15
And speeding up video is not timelapse, but fast forwarding. A different concept, since fast forwarding still contains contiguous images that in themselves make smooth motion. Timelapse is made from still images separated by relatively long periods (several seconds or more).

I know, that is why I'm using still images
2018-6-8
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

bertusjwz Posted at 2018-6-7 08:12

The manual shutter actuation is not steady enough to get good results.
My suggestion would be to try jpeg only and flat profile. That way you still have room for processing and you get more interval options (at least, that is what I have read)
2018-6-8
Use props
bertusjwz
lvl.2
Netherlands

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-6-8 00:34
The manual shutter actuation is not steady enough to get good results.
My suggestion would be to try jpeg only and flat profile. That way you still have room for processing and you get more interval options (at least, that is what I have read)

But, what is the difference between manually press the shutter every 2 seconds or set it to jpeg and let the interval press the shutter every 2 seconds?
2018-6-8
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

bertusjwz Posted at 2018-6-8 00:40
But, what is the difference between manually press the shutter every 2 seconds or set it to jpeg and let the interval press the shutter every 2 seconds?

Your hand is never that accurate, so the motion is not steady (you get jumps in the interval between the shots).
You can't fix that in post, since the variations are so small.

I have tried over and over again with my DSLR (before I had an interval timer)  and it was never really good the whole sequence.
But maybe I am too critical
2018-6-8
Use props
bertusjwz
lvl.2
Netherlands

------------------------------
2018-6-8
Use props
bertusjwz
lvl.2
Netherlands

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-6-8 00:47
Your hand is never that accurate, so the motion is not steady (you get jumps in the interval between the shots).
You can't fix that in post, since the variations are so small.

Yeah, that might be the problem I heard people about apps that press on an selected area of your phone screen automatically and you can set them to 2 seconds for example. Maybe I have to look into that. That should work the same as an interval.
2018-6-8
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

bertusjwz Posted at 2018-6-8 00:51
Yeah, that might be the problem I heard people about apps that press on an selected area of your phone screen automatically and you can set them to 2 seconds for example. Maybe I have to look into that. That should work the same as an interval.

That might work indeed.
But if you try jpeg only, you should have more interval options. (at least, so I have heard)
2018-6-8
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

bertusjwz Posted at 2018-6-8 00:50
------------------------------

What was that?
2018-6-8
Use props
bertusjwz
lvl.2
Netherlands

The reaction on your post but forgot to press reply
2018-6-8
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

bertusjwz Posted at 2018-6-8 01:24
The reaction on your post but forgot to press reply

Ah ok.         
2018-6-8
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

bertusjwz Posted at 2018-6-8 01:24
The reaction on your post but forgot to press reply

You can delete answers in the advanced screen.
IN the bottom part there is a button 'del this post' or something. (click 'additional options' to see that)
2018-6-8
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JBSonic Posted at 2018-6-7 07:50
Mavic Pro Hyperlapse

Good vid      
2018-6-8
Use props
Jyunte
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2103150 ft

bertusjwz Posted at 2018-6-8 00:14
I know, that is why I'm using still images

Yes, my reply was adding to your reasons for using RAW images instead of speeding up a video. :-)
2018-6-8
Use props
bertusjwz
lvl.2
Netherlands

Jyunte Posted at 2018-6-8 09:52
Yes, my reply was adding to your reasons for using RAW images instead of speeding up a video. :-)

Yeah exactly
2018-6-8
Use props
AuroraHunter
lvl.4
Flight distance : 938012 ft
United States

Would there be any benefit to shooting video and  then using Premier to extract frames every 2 seconds then stitch them back together? Would give a hyperlpase effect?

2018-6-8
Use props
bertusjwz
lvl.2
Netherlands

AuroraHunter Posted at 2018-6-8 14:37
Would there be any benefit to shooting video and  then using Premier to extract frames every 2 seconds then stitch them back together? Would give a hyperlpase effect?

Thanks for your input but the whole reason that I'm using pictures is because the quality is a lot better, you have more dynamic range and can change lots of stuff without losing any details. Video is not that good on the mavic unfortunately. So I don't want to do the effect with video thats not what this post is about. Thanks anyway tho
2018-6-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules