Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Inspire 2 Crash - Not good
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Tim Daniels
New
Flight distance : 43737 ft

Hey guys,

Been a DJI owner for a long time now. From the Ronin-M to P3 and P4P.

I rented a Inspire 2 with X7 and 16mm + 24mm from LensRentals.com. We've rented a ton of production gear from the in the past so I had no worries.

I conducted 15 flights over the last 3 days. None that were abusive or in extreme conditions. Mostly HRD photos for a big pano.

After the 14th flight, I noticed a gap inbetween the prop clip base and motor. So I took the prop off and tightened the screws back down, didnt think much of it.... Until 12min into the next flight, the prop flew off and the drone was obliterated upon impact. Thankfully, the SSD and Micro SD were ok and my client will be happy without knowing what happend.

I've attached pictures below.

What are the chances DJI with help Lens Rentals replace the drone for free? (I know this is slim but looking for some possible encouragement in lue of intitially owing LensRentals about $7,000)

Anyone else 1) Have the problem and 2) success with DJI replacing a drone under a condition like this?
Other Front Rotor Before.jpg
Other Front Rotor After.jpg
Front Rotor After.jpg
Front Rotor Before.jpg
2018-6-7
Use props
mixchief
lvl.4
Flight distance : 182057 ft
  • >>>
United States

WOW certainly a bad break dude. However isn't the rental covered by insurance from the renter, or did you not purchase "just in case" insurance? Was it not made available? Considering the cost of the aircraft and the fact that ii's DJI, known for many things except maybe reliability, it would have been the prudent thing to do. If you are lucky, maybe the unit was still under warranty coverage, but just the fact that you admit to having tightened the screws might give them recourse to bail from replacing the craft.
2018-6-7
Use props
rent
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1773458 ft
  • >>>
Russia

In hindsight these screws need to be tightened with (blue) locktite. I hope you had purchased insurance from LensRental and the financial damage would be limited.
2018-6-7
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hello. We do apologize for what happened to your drone. We cannot guarantee to provide any replacement drone for free as it will be undergoing damage assessment first. We highly recommend to send it to our repair center to have it fixed. Please create a repair case online: repair.dji.com. Thank you for your understanding.
2018-6-7
Use props
Tim Daniels
New
United States

mixchief Posted at 2018-6-7 08:17
WOW certainly a bad break dude. However isn't the rental covered by insurance from the renter, or did you not purchase "just in case" insurance? Was it not made available? Considering the cost of the aircraft and the fact that ii's DJI, known for many things except maybe reliability, it would have been the prudent thing to do. If you are lucky, maybe the unit was still under warranty coverage, but just the fact that you admit to having tightened the screws might give them recourse to bail from replacing the craft.

Yea, we rent from them so much, it was almost like habit to not select the extra coverage since we have a fat COI on file with them... (and I learned it doesn't cover drones.)

It seemed pretty new so I'm hoping it's under warranty as they started renting in August of 2017. (NVM, just checked that propellers and plates are not covered by any warranty.)

Yea, I totally thought about that but I'm just an honest dude and wanted to approach it from an honest angle I guess. In the end, most Im looking at is $7k... But hopefully the honesty comes back around one way or another.
2018-6-7
Use props
Tim Daniels
New
United States

rent Posted at 2018-6-7 08:24
In hindsight these screws need to be tightened with (blue) locktite. I hope you had purchased insurance from LensRental and the financial damage would be limited.

Yea, hindsight is always 2020.

We rent so much from them that its basically habit to not get the extra coverage as we have a big insurance policy for rented equipment. :/

Thanks for the input.
2018-6-7
Use props
Tim Daniels
New
United States

DJI Wanda Posted at 2018-6-7 08:25
Hello. We do apologize for what happened to your drone. We cannot guarantee to provide any replacement drone for free as it will be undergoing damage assessment first. We highly recommend to send it to our repair center to have it fixed. Please create a repair case online: repair.dji.com. Thank you for your understanding.

Guessing you're a bot?

It's in 40 different pieces.
2018-6-7
Use props
mixchief
lvl.4
Flight distance : 182057 ft
  • >>>
United States

Tim Daniels Posted at 2018-6-7 08:25
Yea, we rent from them so much, it was almost like habit to not select the extra coverage since we have a fat COI on file with them... (and I learned it doesn't cover drones.)

It seemed pretty new so I'm hoping it's under warranty as they started renting in August of 2017. (NVM, just checked that propellers and plates are not covered by any warranty.)

Out of curiosity, how much do they charge for insurance that is specifically for damages to the drone? Do they even offer it?
2018-6-7
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Tim Daniels Posted at 2018-6-7 08:28
Guessing you're a bot?

It's in 40 different pieces.

I'm sorry but I'm not a bot. I'm an actual person that can help you with your concern. In regards to your concern, even if it's no longer in one piece, we still need to send it in to have it checked by our engineers so that we can provide some possible solutions for you. You can keep or pack them in a box that you can assure that they are secured.
2018-6-7
Use props
figure1a
lvl.3
Flight distance : 622103 ft
United States

Tim Daniels Posted at 2018-6-7 08:25
Yea, we rent from them so much, it was almost like habit to not select the extra coverage since we have a fat COI on file with them... (and I learned it doesn't cover drones.)

It's worth sending to DJI in Los Angeles for repair. DJI parts are VERY reasonably priced. I think one whole arm assembly which includes everything but the motors and the transmitters in the legs is like $140. I just destroyed an X7 camera and they fixed it for $379 (parts and labor) and got it back in 2 days. Even if parts and labor on your repair comes out to $1,500 it will be much better than $7,000. BTW, I think a whole new Inspire 2 aircraft without remote, batteries, etc. is only $2,500 retail.
2018-6-22
Use props
MRTN.photo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1395259 ft
  • >>>

figure1a Posted at 2018-6-22 13:16
It's worth sending to DJI in Los Angeles for repair. DJI parts are VERY reasonably priced. I think one whole arm assembly which includes everything but the motors and the transmitters in the legs is like $140. I just destroyed an X7 camera and they fixed it for $379 (parts and labor) and got it back in 2 days. Even if parts and labor on your repair comes out to $1,500 it will be much better than $7,000. BTW, I think a whole new Inspire 2 aircraft without remote, batteries, etc. is only $2,500 retail.

Note that the X7 + lens is about 4K...
2018-6-26
Use props
TC KABREW
lvl.3

Austria

Wow, unlucky, have you got insurance on it
2018-12-31
Use props
Highasakite
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1423930 ft
United States

Fly it like you rented it !!! SAFETY FIRST! Ken. Happy New Year! By the way Tim Please do not refer to our DJI ADMINISTRATORS  as "bots" thanks! And kindly make SURE you upload ALL of your flight records so we can get to the root of this problem as a community.
2018-12-31
Use props
djiuser_wogjl3ILbXEr
lvl.1
United States

Highasakite Posted at 2018-12-31 18:54
Fly it like you rented it  !!! SAFETY FIRST! Ken. Happy New Year!  By the way Tim  Please do not refer to our DJI ADMINISTRATORS  as "bots" thanks! And kindly make SURE you upload ALL of your flight records so we can get to the root of this problem as a community.

Hello New here to the Dji Family.   Right now I am regreting my purchase and if there was anyway to back out I would.   really scary , that I have seen so many picture and videos of mishaps with the Inspire2  .    Is dji Standing behind this owners?   U may just talk the loss and sell it on Ebay or craigslist , rather than take a total loss of craft and cammera.   scary
2019-2-3
Use props
djiuser_wogjl3ILbXEr
lvl.1
United States

Highasakite Posted at 2018-12-31 18:54
Fly it like you rented it  !!! SAFETY FIRST! Ken. Happy New Year!  By the way Tim  Please do not refer to our DJI ADMINISTRATORS  as "bots" thanks! And kindly make SURE you upload ALL of your flight records so we can get to the root of this problem as a community.

Hello New here to the Dji Family.   Right now I am regreting my purchase and if there was anyway to back out I would.   really scary , that I have seen so many picture and videos of mishaps with the Inspire2  .    Is dji Standing behind this owners?   U may just talk the loss and sell it on Ebay or craigslist , rather than take a total loss of craft and cammera.   scary
2019-2-3
Use props
transit 350
lvl.4
Flight distance : 169137 ft
  • >>>
United States

are there any updates to this saga
2019-4-20
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sorry to read that
2019-4-22
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>

c
2019-9-3
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>

AntDX316 Posted at 9-3 20:52
It is 100% obvious the screw was backed out so far it couldn't hold on the last threads which is why the last threads are obviously stripped.

It's funny how something so simple can be the reason for maximum total loss devistation because people did not know what to check.

Ant, did you actually read the OP? If so, please read it again, slowly ... Or ask somebody better qualified to do it for you ... Tim clearly stated that he tightened the screws back to their assumed position and torque. Was it performed properly, was the entire issue carried out properly? That's another question ...

But please, please stop publishing opinions and advices related to issues you have not the slightest idea about, not even owing Inspire 2 ... Please. You're all over this Forum like a malignant cancer, spreading naively articulated posts, asking child-ish questions, publishing false and plain wrong advices, expressing absurd opinions with confidence of an expert ... Why are you doing this? How many times you must be told by us, The Veterans: listen and learn, but be quiet! ... Ughhh ...
2019-9-4
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 9-4 11:37
Ant, did you actually read the OP? If so, please read it again, slowly ... Or ask somebody better qualified to do it for you ... Tim clearly stated that he tightened the screws back to their assumed position and torque. Was it performed properly, was the entire issue carried out properly? That's another question ...

But please, please stop publishing opinions and advices related to issues you have not the slightest idea about, not even owing Inspire 2 ... Please. You're all over this Forum like a malignant cancer, spreading naively articulated posts, asking child-ish questions, publishing false and plain wrong advices, expressing absurd opinions with confidence of an expert ... Why are you doing this? How many times you must be told by us, The Veterans: listen and learn, but be quiet! ... Ughhh ...

It was tightened back or it was flown with them out?

I understand how screws work.  I had a Nitro RC truck that kept backing the engine screws out.  Even locktiting wouldn't hold them in!  The design was bad.  Perhaps the wrong screws were used when it was returned as the people who had them before maybe lost the screw and use thinner and/or shorter screws.

What has happened, has happened but if you don't locktite screws on racer quads, they vibrate out.  Even on RC 3D helis that do this.  The kind of stuff I was into before I got into DJI.  The things you think I know nothing about but have done extreme forms of and dismiss everything I say because you think know me but you don't.
2019-9-4
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
  • >>>

AntDX316 Posted at 9-4 13:35
It was tightened back or it was flown with them out?

I understand how screws work.  I had a Nitro RC truck that kept backing the engine screws out.  Even locktiting wouldn't hold them in!  The design was bad.  Perhaps the wrong screws were used when it was returned as the people who had them before maybe lost the screw and use thinner and/or shorter screws.

Ant, you didn't answer my polite question "Why are you doing this?" Why did you post absurd reply without paying attention and trying to understand the OP content?
2019-9-4
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 9-4 15:00
Ant, you didn't answer my polite question "Why are you doing this?" Why did you post absurd reply without paying attention and trying to understand the OP content?

To get the facts straight.

I go through lots of things in life and don't really have a few things to think deeply about so if I miss a few things I apologize.
2019-9-4
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
  • >>>

AntDX316 Posted at 9-4 16:01
To get the facts straight.

I go through lots of things in life and don't really have a few things to think deeply about so if I miss a few things I apologize.

OK, no need for apology ... Just try to focus your attention on your life rather than on a Forum ... Some people are deeply confused or disturbed reading your posts ... Some reacts with anger ... No need for this either ... Do yourself a favour and try to control the urge to expose your weakness ...

EDIT: Oh, I see you've deleted the content of your reply ... Smart move, but very child-ish, don't you agree? It's still quoted in my reply ...

2019-9-4
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 9-4 16:37
OK, no need for apology ... Just try to focus your attention on your life rather than on a Forum ... Some people are deeply confused or disturbed reading your posts ... Some reacts with anger ... No need for this either ... Do yourself a favour and try to control the urge to expose your weakness ...

What weakness?  I'm trying to fix people's vulnerabilities of them not knowing.  Try to be more considerate and mindful that not everyone knows what to do.

There are tons of other people on this site but it's the same people who usually respond to me.  They post in other areas.  People lurk and say nothing but it doesn't matter.   I don't even know what I post at times.  I can sleep over easy of anything I've said.
2019-9-4
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
  • >>>

AntDX316 Posted at 9-4 16:42
What weakness?  I'm trying to fix people's vulnerabilities of them not knowing.  Try to be more considerate and mindful that not everyone knows what to do.

There are tons of other people on this site but it's the same people who usually respond to me.  They post in other areas.  People lurk and say nothing but it doesn't matter.   I don't even know what I post at times.  I can sleep over easy of anything I've said.

"I don't even know what I post at times"

Indeed. I feel sorry for you ...
2019-9-4
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 9-4 16:46
"I don't even know what I post at times"

Indeed. I feel sorry for you ...

I don't even know how no one here cares to take into consideration that I've crashed none of my DJI drones and made money using them.  I have so many drones but yet, people still think I know nothing and talk absurdities.

I must be lucky w/ no sense of skill or maintenance knowledge.
2019-9-4
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
  • >>>

AntDX316 Posted at 9-4 16:50
I don't even know how no one here cares to take into consideration that I've crashed none of my DJI drones and made money using them.  I have so many drones but yet, people still think I know nothing and talk absurdities.

I must be lucky w/ no sense of skill or maintenance knowledge.

Exactly. How is it possible? ... Think about this paradox, think ...
2019-9-4
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 9-4 17:06
Exactly. How is it possible? ... Think about this paradox, think ...

Maybe something is wrong somewhere.  Perhaps from the observer's point of view.
2019-9-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules