X3X5 VERY disapointing for Video & stills
378 8 2018-6-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
PeterHammond
lvl.2
Flight distance : 10190 ft
United Kingdom

Hi, I bought the Inspire 1 v2 with the x3 and X5 camera specifically to photograph steam trains from the air, what a massive disappointment that decision turned out to be (for now anyway), I've been out practising on diesel trains traveling at 30mph over a viaduct and the results were frankly rubbish and completely unusable, the train appears to be very slightly jerky in its movement as it moves along the track (I1 in hover), fps 24, shutter speed 1/60.  Am I doing something wrong? I thought the Inspire was a capable video machine.  I have the X5 but I would imagine this would be the identical in its performance...... Help please

Also why are DJI's cameras so poor for still images (and maybe video for moving subjects), even the X5 still image quality is not that great, if Olympus can make a MFT pen f with a standard lens for around a grand or an EM1 (for slightly more) which both take wonderful still images why is it that DJI are unable to do the same thing? to me it appears DJI are WAY BEHIND in this respect, perhaps they should form a partnership with a camera company that knows how to make cameras that are capable of taking decent photographs ........... WAKE UP DJI  before your competition does, let's have a camera in the air that competes with MFT camera quality, I'd like to know the technical reasons why you can't manage it. Your drones are great, no they are wonderful, your cameras sadly are not so great and not so wonderful.  Maybe I'm being unfair here but I've been a photographer for the last twenty years using Nikon and Olympus equipment taking great photographs but can't get any where near to a producing a decent still image with your Inspire system, is there any reason I'm missing as to why you cant compete with Olympus and Panasonics MFT cameras quality?  You really already using a MFT sensor and their lenses so why isn't the image quality so substandard?

Is the X5s any better at still images compared to the X5, I'd like an answer to that from someone that knows please, it would be very helpful. Im aware it has more mega pixels, so what, 16 mega pixels is more than enough for a high quality12x16 print, im also aware the dynamic range is better which is great but that doesn't make the image better either if the lighting is relatively even, so is there a significant improvement in still image quality setting aside these two points.  I'm trying to avoid an I2 upgrade (my I1 is more than capable of flying, it's a wonderful machine, I don't need all the new bells and whistles of the I2) but would upgrade if he still image quality was a BIG step up.

Any comments would be very helpful as at the moment I'm a bit disappointed with the Inspire

Sent from my iPad

2018-6-8
Use props
flighttime1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 906352 ft
United States

It would help if you posted a few pictures and/or videos so we could see if the problem is your perception of what the Inspire 1 can do or something else. A decent 12x16 print is not out of the range of the Inspire.
2018-6-8
Use props
PeterHammond
lvl.2
United Kingdom

/Users/peterhammond/Desktop/smallladfy.mp4
2018-6-8
Use props
PeterHammond
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Tried to upload video, can you explain how I do that, I've tried using the upload button and nothing happens
2018-6-8
Use props
Aerial-Image
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1452408 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You should be getting superb pictures from both!
2018-6-8
Use props
Farnk666
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

Your post reads a pretty ranty - what are you basing your perception of quality against?
Both the X3 and X5 are pretty old now so comparison to newer tech may not be entirely appropriate.

What is your post-capture workflow?

What settings have you tried?

Moving objects at 30mph captured at a low frame rate will look jerky - have you tried higher frame rates?
2018-6-8
Use props
flighttime1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 906352 ft
United States

PeterHammond Posted at 2018-6-8 02:46
/Users/peterhammond/Desktop/smallladfy.mp4

Ummm... That's a link to a video on your computer. You need to post it on Vimeo or YouTube and then post that link if you want anyone to see it without being in front of your computer.
2018-6-8
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

PeterHammond Posted at 2018-6-8 02:52
Tried to upload video, can you explain how I do that, I've tried using the upload button and nothing happens

You can also post the original content on a free Drop Box account and then share your link for us in the forum to comment on the videos or photos.

Rich
2018-6-8
Use props
Mark Guille
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Jersey

Are you viewing the video from your mobile device or have you taken the Mov. files from your SD card and viewed them from your hard drive?

Mark G.
2018-6-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules