DJI phantom 4 dies mid-air android tablet
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansff259c2d
New

Argentina

Hi, I wanted to post this issue that happenned to me to see if anyone had the same problem. I had a dji phantom 4 adv from a friend wich he gave me so that I update it and set it up from new as he didnt had so much idea of the topic. He gave this android tablet AOC wich from the beginning had issues with connecting to the drone and after a couple of tries and powering on the tablet after the drone is on it connected. Before setting that tablet on I used the phantom 4 with my iphone and it had no issues at all. The problem started when I connected the drone to that tablet. Everything seemed fine until suddenly when I was like 50-60ft up manouvering to land the drone it died mid air. At that moment I thought that accidentally I setted the CSC command which then I found out it was really difficult as I never touched the RTH button. Eventhough as the drone falled in mud the only damage it got was a broken gimbal and landing gear. I replaced both of those parts for some brand new dji spares on repair shop well known here in Argentina and the drone was like new again. Me and the guy who repaired tried the drone (with his iphone) and it was working great. Then now the big problem starts. The first crash was like 2 months ago (it was slow here in Argentina to get the spare parts wich I ended up bringing from the USA). I met yesterday with my friend the owner of the drone and I wanted to explain him how it works and some basic stuff as he never flew a dji. When we were testing it we flew a bit went like 1 mile away to test the range and when we brought the drone back I wanted to show him the RTH feature and show him how the drone lands exactly where it took off. When the drone was landing everything was perfect, it came to the point of landing at an attitude of 300ft and started descending mormal but when it was at about 100ft again the motors shut off and it falled to the ground. This time it was a total loss, the drone fall on hard concrete the gimbal broke a motor also and part of the main body also broke. Now this second time it was clear to me that I didnt do a CSC command as I wasnt even touching the controls on the controllers. The battery was perfectly placed on the dorne, even when it fall from that heigh it didnt fell out of the drone and the lights on the drone kept being on. The only thing that I suspect to be the problem is if the old tablet could have made the drone die or something like that. Also on the flight record of the tablet it shows as if the drone disconnected when it motors shut off. I hope I can get some answers as now I feel very bad for my friends drone as the first time I paid the 550 usd on repairs (a new drone costs more than 1700usd here) but now it is clear that it wasnt my fault as my friend was next to me and he perfectly saw how the drone died midair.    Thanks for reading.
2018-6-8
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I suspect to be the problem is if the old tablet could have made the drone die or something like that.
The tablet can't make the drone die.  There's no way for that to happen.

Also on the flight record of the tablet it shows as if the drone disconnected when it motors shut off.

If the Phantom shuts down, it's not sending data to the controller, so of course it will display as disconnected.  That's quite normal.
2018-6-8
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>

Wow - that's some story. Sorry for your loss!
In recent time we are hearing more and more stories of P4s falling from the sky with no evidence what could have been the reason.
Very strange...
2018-6-8
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

I am sorry to hear about what happened to your aircraft. We recommend contacting our support team to start a ticket and send in the drone to DJI official repair center for evaluation and repair service. Also, please sync the flight record so that it will review and they will be able to provide you the feedback as to why the crashed happens. http://www.dji.com/support
2018-6-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules