2 Phantoms Different Video Encodings
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MontanaNative
lvl.1
Flight distance : 401572 ft
United States

Hello Everybody,

We have 2 DJI Phantom 4 Advance Drones that have both been working well for us, however, their video encodings are acting differently. With one we can shoot video take the card out and start editing the video in premier immediatelly. The other however we have to use adobes media encoder cc to convert the videos to a usable format before we edit them. We aren't sure if there is just a setting somewhere that we are missing or if there is some other underlying issue.

If anybody has run into this before or has any insight please let me know!

Thanks.

2018-6-8
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Sorry for the trouble. May I know what are those video encoding that you are referring to? If you can show us a sample video or sample video encoding that would be a great help. Thank you.
2018-6-8
Use props
MontanaNative
lvl.1
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2018-6-8 09:36
Sorry for the trouble. May I know what are those video encoding that you are referring to? If you can show us a sample video or sample video encoding that would be a great help. Thank you.

It's hard to provide a sample, I can explain further however. So both phantoms export video with a .mov extension however when importing the videos into premier one phantoms videos are encoding in a way that premier can immediately play them, the other phantom however is encoding the videos to where premier says that the video file is not supported therefor we have to take those video files and import them into media encoder cc to convert them to an acceptable format for premier. The problem is we can't see any differences between the two, both have .mov extensions, hopefully that explains what I am dealing with.
2018-6-8
Use props
Landbo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 502792 ft
Denmark

One camera encodes H.264 and the other in H.265 ?
All video editors should be able to process a file in H.264.
Switch from H.265 to H.264 in video setup on the camera you can not read the file from.

Good luck, regards Leif.
2018-6-8
Use props
MontanaNative
lvl.1
United States

Landbo Posted at 2018-6-8 10:32
Switch from H.265 to H.264 in video setup on the camera you can not read the file from.

Thank you,

That worked!
2018-6-8
Use props
Ritchie.
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3404964 ft

i have the problem with h265 aswel in some cases the first 5 seconds of a h265 file curupts in my case in mp4 when playing in vlc i can see digital blacks for about 5 seconds and then the video plays fine i have a screenshot here https://imgur.com/a/OOsVk55 if you look in the water you might see it its hard to see in a screenshot
2018-6-8
Use props
Landbo
Second Officer
Denmark

You're welcome, is happy it worked.   

Regards Leif.
2018-6-8
Use props
Landbo
Second Officer
Denmark

Ritchie. Posted at 2018-6-8 13:10
i have the problem with h265 aswel in some cases the first 5 seconds of a h265 file curupts in my case in mp4 when playing in vlc i can see digital blacks for about 5 seconds and then the video plays fine i have a screenshot here https://imgur.com/a/OOsVk55 if you look in the water you might see it its hard to see in a screenshot

Try switching player. Highly recommend:  https://mpc-hc.org/  Unfortunately, it is only available for Windows.

Yes, your picture looks like I do not know what. It can be a lot better in a decent player.

Regards Leif.
2018-6-8
Use props
Ritchie.
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3404964 ft

Landbo Posted at 2018-6-8 16:59
Try switching player. Highly recommend:  https://mpc-hc.org/  Unfortunately, it is only available for Windows.

Yes, your picture looks like I do not know what. It can be a lot better in a decent player.

it has noting to do with the player since adobe premier says the file is corupt vlc just shows that this is thru i think dji needs to have a look at the h265
2018-6-8
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Switch from H.265 to H.264 in video setup on the camera you can not read the file from.

Nice information, thanks for sharing it with us.
2018-6-8
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Thanks for your update, glad to know that you have solved the issue, happy flying.
2018-6-8
Use props
KEJ
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Hi

So after further tests myself, FCP (Final Cut pro Apple on iMac) works with both MP4 & MOV, the issue I had was I had set my 4k to H265, my version of FCP 10.3 does not support that, 10.3 only supports H264.

The newer version of FCP (10.4) does support H265.

I then upgraded to FCP 10.4, everything now works perfectly and no issues as it handles H264 and H265 at 4k etc.
2018-6-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules