Awesome but Scary
631 9 2018-6-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_sm0V2ye7HdLp
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Just bought my first quality drone DJI spark.

I cannot get over how awesome it is for such a low price.

My question is do you ever get over the fear of losing it. I have stuck to beginner mode for now.

But when i see it 30m in the air i have this sense of impending doom that it is going to throw a wobbler and drop out of the sky or fly off into the sunset.

I guess when you start you read alot and yoy focus on the horror stories a bit.

Do you ever stop worrying that your investment is going to be lost.
2018-6-8
Use props
MeatWagon
lvl.2
Flight distance : 415630 ft
United States

I haven't had mine for all that long but I've gotten to trust it quite a bit. I've flown out of radio range on many occasions and it always comes back home with no issues. As long as you set your home point, your RTH altitude and fly in a reasonably open area you will be ok. I totally understand the way you feel but these machines are pretty incredible. Coming from flying RC helicopters it took me a little while to be able to let the thing fly up so high (especially because it's so small). I have complete confidence in the little guy now. Just use common sense and the spark will serve you well.  
2018-6-8
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

I understand that you're afraid losing your aircraft, however, the best recommendation that I can provide to you is doing a pre-flight checklist, ensure that everything is up to date especially the firmware and the application, as well as the phone, I would recommend using a compatible device which you can check to our website and avoid flying your aircraft in hazardous environment then ensure as well that  the IMU and compass are well calibrated before flying it and check if you're getting enough GPS signal (18 GPS will be the recommended signal as well) and once you did those pre-flight checklists, you could be able now to maximize the usage of your spark.
2018-6-8
Use props
Prairie Chicken
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106526 ft
Canada

If DJI got a nickel from every new Spark owner who was afraid to fly it, I'd be a nickel poorer. Even after three months of absolutely no trouble with it, the fear of a flyaway or something is still in the back of my mind. But it's slowly getting better. I was also afraid to fly over water but finally just did it anyway. I decided that if I'm not going to fly it the way I want, there's no point in having it. It's a matter of trust, really, and that takes time and experience.

BTW, "throw a wobbler" is my favourite phrase of the week.
2018-6-8
Use props
djiuser_sm0V2ye7HdLp
lvl.1
United Kingdom

"Throw a wobbler" is a very british saying. I am glad you like it
2018-6-8
Use props
Bender1031
lvl.4
Flight distance : 209938 ft

I’m the same way!! I’ve had mine for less than a week and I’m scared just as you!  Im slowly gaining trust in the spark by slowly expanding my flights. 200 feet in the air is so high! I can’t imagine 400!!  I have only gone about 200 feet from my start point... slow is the way for me

Also reading all of those fly always and such - it helps to fully understand why that happens in the first place. There are some posts and YouTube videos that explain all of the different features... I haven’t even tried any of them yet!  Not even RTH lol

Good luck out there
2018-6-8
Use props
Rayan911
lvl.3
Flight distance : 58330 ft
New Zealand

I have been flying since nearly 6months and still haven't got any issue with the drone. make sure to check the GPS levels before take off and keep an eye on the battery life of the drone while flying. so it won't do any crazy things.  always fly away from people and in the vicinity untill you get confident. have a second pair of eyes would be nice as well. happy flying.
2018-6-8
Use props
pmshop
First Officer
Flight distance : 8073271 ft
  • >>>

I suggest you go out 50m and get used to it.
Then, go out 50m more and keep repeating.
Eventually you can do this:

But make sure you can fly a different craft manually like the SYMA X5C.
That way if something does go wrong, you know how to fly back manually.
2018-6-8
Use props
FlyMaine
lvl.3
Flight distance : 389482 ft
United States

I've been flying mine for about 6 weeks now and felt the same way, but so far I've been amazed with how reliable Spark has been.  You'll get lots of good tips on this forum--one I got a few weeks ago was to begin every flight by letting Spark hover a few feet in front of you and then move Spark forward a couple of feet, back a couple of feet, right and left a few feet, and up and down a few feet, making sure that Spark hovers solidly in place after each move.  It just takes a few seconds and I've found that doing this at the beginning of every flight gives me confidence that everything is working properly before I take off.  You also need to devote 100% of your attention to flying, so don't fly when you're in a hurry or otherwise distracted. And finally, if your gut tells you conditions aren't good to fly, heed the warning--you'll never regret a flight you didn't take, but you surely will regret one you shouldn't have taken, especially if your intuition tried to warn you beforehand.  Good luck with your new Spark!
2018-6-9
Use props
S.J
Second Officer
Flight distance : 322454 ft
Kuwait

parrot Anafi is a good drone with better flight characteristics than DJI SPARK...
2018-6-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules