Flying over Stonehenge and staying within the rules...
23536 74 2018-6-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

B1houdini Posted at 2018-6-9 11:47
"Common sense" is the answer.

In the main! Sadly, it is a gift not opened by everyone who flies these things
2018-6-9
Use props
B1houdini
Second Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-6-9 11:50
In the main! Sadly, it is a gift not opened by everyone who flies these things

Thanks A CW
Never has  a Truer word were been spoken.
2018-6-9
Use props
Wellsi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A CW Posted at 2018-6-9 11:41
It's so hard to regulate let alone legalise drone laws. Common sense plays a big part.

And a nice update, confirmation from the CAA themselves that landowners cannot prohibit overhead flights.

>>

UAVEnquiries <UAVEnquiries@caa.co.uk>
11:53 (4 hours ago)

Dear Sir

Thank you for your email

They do not own the airspace and if you abide by the ANO and other airspace restrictions in that area e.g. NOTAMs then you may operate.

Thank you,

Thomas Guest
UAV Services
Civil Aviation Authority
Tel: 0330 022 1908
Follow us on Twitter: @UK_CAA

Sent: 13 June 2018 16:48
To: InfoServices <infoservices@caa.co.uk>
Subject: Question on the prohibition of consumer drones over private land
Hello

I am after advice concerning private hobbyist flying of a consumer drone (Mavic Pro) which is around 750 grams and does have a camera.

As I understand the Air Navigation Order 2016, specifically ‘Article 95 – Small unmanned surveillance aircraft’, the main rules can be simply summarised as:

1. Stay at least 150 metres horizontally away from any congested built up area, or crowded area with more than 1,000 persons (implying I cannot fly over such an area).

2. Stay at least a 50 metre bubble away from any structure or person not under my control (implying I can fly over such land at an altitude of 50 metres or more).

3. Stay under 400 feet in altitude from take-off point.

4. Stay in Visual Line of Sight

5. Observe any permanent or temporary restrictions from NATS, which I do via their Drone Assist app.

It is the second point I wanted clarified.

My question is:
Can a landowner prohibit aerial flights over their property?
I understand they can prohibit ground-based activity, (ie take-off / landing / flight control) from their land, but can they prohibit me from simply flying over?

The CAA has implemented a 50 metre bubble rule to avoid privacy and harassment issues, so my understanding is that the CAA controls airspace, not the landowner, as long as I maintain an altitude of at least 50 metres.

Can you confirm?
Many thanks

Ian
2018-6-15
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Wellsi Posted at 2018-6-15 02:21
And a nice update, confirmation from the CAA themselves that landowners cannot prohibit overhead flights.

>>

PERFECT!!!! Confirms what I thought mate. Thank you so much for taking the time to make those enquiries. Keep that email - any 'drone police' hassle then just post that in your response
2018-6-15
Use props
Wellsi
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A CW Posted at 2018-6-15 02:24
PERFECT!!!! Confirms what I thought mate. Thank you so much for taking the time to make those enquiries. Keep that email - any 'drone police' hassle then just post that in your response

It was refreshingly clear and precise!  Altho that still didn't satisfy the "I've done my PFCO so I know what I'm talking about" donkey on my YT channel, firing endless new rubbish each time I proved his 'facts' wrong with CAA links...  But no matter; anti-troll protection measures have now kicked in

Either way, this little email is tiucked away nice and safe.

And whilst we're on the subject, I found this little item from the Gov website regarding copyright of public buildings:
https://assets.publishing.servic ... c-notice-201401.pdf
Specifically Page 5 states:
I want to take photos of sculptures and buildings located in public spaces
You do not need permission to photograph buildings, sculptures and similar works on public display in public spaces. The photographs you take are afforded full copyright protection. This means you, as the photographer, are able to commercially use your work.

Ian
2018-6-15
Use props
Malakai_UK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 536115 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I cant recall ever reading anything from the CAA about restrictions on airspace other than the standard distances from built up areas etc. Some parks and other areas can be designated as no fly zones for model aircraft etc but there has to be signage up. If you are taking off from the ground in an area that is par for the course with the rules and they don't have signage up saying no model aircraft then i bet the worse they can do is ask you not to fly there.
edit*
Great bit of info there from the CAA too but as for the getting paid for your work, unless you have your PfCO then its a no no.. if you get caught ;)
2018-6-15
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Wellsi Posted at 2018-6-15 05:38
It was refreshingly clear and precise!  Altho that still didn't satisfy the "I've done my PFCO so I know what I'm talking about" donkey on my YT channel, firing endless new rubbish each time I proved his 'facts' wrong with CAA links...  But no matter; anti-troll protection measures have now kicked in

Either way, this little email is tiucked away nice and safe.

I can't stand little people like that - always best to ignore them mate.
2018-6-15
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

B1houdini Posted at 2018-6-9 11:47
"Common sense" is the answer.

Its also terrifying how many people with drones lack it!
2018-6-15
Use props
Gadgetman!
lvl.1
Norway

I would have preferred if that letter to the CAA included a question specifically about the Heritage Trust.
(They may be considered a special case. so it never hurts to ask.)

As for photographing buildings, statues and all that. The clue here is that a lot of the HT sites may not necessarily count as 'Public Spaces', at least if you there's any restriction to entering the areas.

Yeah, playing Devils Advocate here.
2018-6-24
Use props
skpManiac
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1092589 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Today my Mother called me to tell me someone has been prosecuted (fined £1000) for flying over StoneHenge, that's how I came to find this thread.
I cannot see anything on the web, maybe it will pop up later - has anyone seen or heard if it's true, and did the person fly during opening hours, or from their land?
2018-8-24
Use props
rolling56
Second Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

Don't know how i missed this one but thank you for the share Ian. Nothing from me on the laws there. I have enough trouble deciphering the laws here in the USA. Fly Safe!
2018-8-24
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

skpManiac Posted at 2018-8-24 00:27
Today my Mother called me to tell me someone has been prosecuted (fined £1000) for flying over StoneHenge, that's how I came to find this thread.
I cannot see anything on the web, maybe it will pop up later - has anyone seen or heard if it's true, and did the person fly during opening hours, or from their land?

Nothing on any news about it.
Quite simply, flying over stonehenge breaks no laws at all provided you're complying with everything else in the ANO.

If someone flew over the place close to people, miles out of line of sight, at night or whatever then yes its illegal - but its illegal everywhere not just there.

2018-8-24
Use props
Wellsi
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

gnirtS Posted at 2018-8-24 04:57
Nothing on any news about it.
Quite simply, flying over stonehenge breaks no laws at all provided you're complying with everything else in the ANO.

Yep, a mate brought this video up at his PFCO CAA training and they agreed, nothing wrong with this flight at all...  No rules broken at all.  

CHeers guys

Ian
2018-8-24
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>

skpManiac Posted at 2018-8-24 00:27
I cannot see anything on the web, maybe it will pop up later - has anyone seen or heard if it's true, and did the person fly during opening hours, or from their land?

The pilot may have been fined if flying above 400 feet AGL, that is now law and applies to all U.K airspace.
2018-8-24
Use props
skpManiac
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1092589 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

gnirtS Posted at 2018-8-24 04:57
Nothing on any news about it.

That's what I  thought, but it was in the Daily Mirror, so just more trash news reporting :/
2018-8-26
Use props
TX99517
lvl.4
Flight distance : 274649 ft
  • >>>
United States

Just seeing this.  Nice video, makes me want to visit there even more.  
2018-8-26
Use props
GBrunelli
New

Argentina

Hi there! I would like to know if you flew near the Tor and if a permit is necessary. I am going next month and I don't want to have problems! thank you
2019-8-13
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

skpManiac Posted at 2018-8-26 04:25
That's what I  thought, but it was in the Daily Mirror, so just more trash news reporting :/

Forget it mate - did they also say Elvis was seen on the moon again in the next page?!
2019-8-13
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>

I totally agree with your view on this,  and this is exactly what I would do if flying here.  I just read today that they are trying to charge drone operators to fly near the Glenfinnan viaduct where Harry Potter was filmed.  More proof of the cash cow theory.
2019-8-14
Use props
Ben Mason
lvl.4
Flight distance : 610614 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nice footage, it's good to see Stonehenge from the Skies, Thanks for Posting !
2019-8-14
Use props
Kelvecion
New
United Kingdom

Brilliant.
2019-8-14
Use props
djiuser_Kf4iPA3DtL3S
lvl.4
Flight distance : 510968 ft
Israel

B1houdini Posted at 2018-6-9 10:52
Thanks A CW.

As Wellsi stated in post #35.

I guess in the US, at least in some states, the owner has a right to get a shotgun and shoot your drone down...
2019-8-14
Use props
Happy roofer
lvl.1
United Kingdom

I flew my drone over Stonehenge three years ago early morning before the crowds arrived. I got some fantastic pictures. The drone police arrived just after I had put it away in my Motorhome. The man with a yellow jacket and clipboard demanded I handed my drone over and identify myself. I told him if he had such authority take my registration and prosecute me through the right channels. I shut the door and drove away and heard nothing more.

2019-8-14
Use props
Dronie2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1336365 ft
Spain

Superb photo. Excellent.
2019-8-14
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>

Happy roofer Posted at 8-14 04:35
I flew my drone over Stonehenge three years ago early morning before the crowds arrived. I got some fantastic pictures. The drone police arrived just after I had put it away in my Motorhome. The man with a yellow jacket and clipboard demanded I handed my drone over and identify myself. I told him if he had such authority take my registration and prosecute me through the right channels. I shut the door and drove away and heard nothing more.

[view_image]

Out of interest where did you take off from?

BTW Fantastic photo of Stonehenge.
2019-8-14
Use props
HH1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 73114 ft
United States

Wells, Nice video, I liked the video of the town, very nice.  The opening of the Stone Hinge section with the clouds and sun behind the stones is really nice, perhaps the folks that say no flying would like a copy of it to use on their web site  Glad you did it, and did it well.
2019-8-14
Use props
ro_flyer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7557283 ft
Brazil

Nice, thanks for sharing.
2019-8-14
Use props
Happy roofer
lvl.1
United Kingdom

I was parked next to the fence and I took off from the public road. I was using a Phantom 3 which compared to my stealth like Mavic 2 Pro was easy to spot in the air.
They had a van that kept driving around monitoring the area. The chap looked official with a clipboard and drone rules printed and laminated. He was trying to confiscate anything he could get his hands on. Probably reselling them on ebay.
2019-8-14
Use props
winkiel82
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3949022 ft
Poland

Great footage. thanks for sharing.
2019-8-15
Use props
David Martin Graff
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nicely done - thanks again for sharing!
2019-8-15
Use props
Wellsi
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Happy roofer Posted at 8-14 22:43
I was parked next to the fence and I took off from the public road. I was using a Phantom 3 which compared to my stealth like Mavic 2 Pro was easy to spot in the air.
They had a van that kept driving around monitoring the area. The chap looked official with a clipboard and drone rules printed and laminated. He was trying to confiscate anything he could get his hands on. Probably reselling them on ebay.

The sunrise photo above was used in a Times article recently.  If there genuinely have a guy trying to confiscate drones, then this is actually legally wrong and could constitute fraud as he has no legal right to demand anything, even if you're on their land.  All they can do is ask you to stop or possibly call the police if you're on their land.  But if you're on public land, then they have no right to stop you flying at all.  That said, you don't want the distraction of arguing whilst flying.  

Ian
2019-8-17
Use props
fans491d2943
New

United Kingdom

I drive past Stonehenge twice a week to work. I’ve often thought of bringing my Mav Air2 but worried about restrictions. I think it’s fair that if you are following the rules and fly over you’re not actually on their land.
2020-11-10
Use props
djiuser_G7x6sZ7cwoN8
New
Flight distance : 28524 ft
United Kingdom

Great video, many thanks for sharing.
2021-2-13
Use props
djiuser_hbutuxe0O1eH
lvl.1

United Kingdom

CAP 722C 4.3/4.3.1/4.3.2. Landowner can stop you taking off and landing on their land but not over flying unless there is a UAS geographical zone in place, then the landowner is responsible for managing the airspace but does not own it, airspace remains a state asset
2021-5-11
Use props
djiuser_n93R9jidMxPa
New

Ireland

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-6-8 13:05
They say the hardest places to get to are usually the most beautiful. It's always nice if you do go to these places to have a drone around.

2023-1-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules