Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
HELP! Setting up a new DJI Mavic Pro drone...
1826 18 2018-6-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
FlyerMelanie
lvl.1
Flight distance : 11240 ft
United States

Hi DJI Mavic Pilots!

I sent my DJI Mavic Pro drone in for repair, and DJI sent me a brand new one, which I wasn't expecting but am SO SO grateful for.  But now I'm trying to remember everything I need to do with a new drone.

Question 1: FAA Registration. Do I need to cancel my old drone registration and register this new one with the FAA? My old drone says it's still active. There's a new Serial Number for the new drone, so I'm guessing I need to cancel the old registration and create a new one. Is that correct? Then I'll write the new registration number on the drone. Is there anything else I need to do for registration, etc.?

Question 2: Apps. What do I need to do with the DJI Go 4 or DJI Assistant 2 Apps? Do I need to do something to let it know that this is a new drone? I haven't tried connecting it yet to the app, but should the drone connect automatically to the App and remote controller?

Anything else I need to do besides calibrating?

Thank you!
2018-6-8
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

1. You only need to register once every three years - whether you own one or a thousand drones. Just put the existing reg number in the new drone. Don't pay twice for the same thing!

2. Create an account with DJI using your own personal email address details. Turn on and connect the phone to the RC then the RC to the AC. Follow the onscreen prompts to register the drone to your DJI profile which also activates the DJI warranty.

You'll also need to ensure that the firmware is up to date on the AC, RC and all additional batteries - best to use Assistant 2 to do that.
I'd also strongly suggest reading the manual and watching the DJI tutorials to better prepare yourself for your maiden flight.
2018-6-8
Use props
Hurley1718
Second Officer
Flight distance : 549295 ft
  • >>>
United States

Glad you got a replacement basically A CW nailed all your questions.
2018-6-8
Use props
FlyerMelanie
lvl.1
Flight distance : 11240 ft
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-6-8 14:31
1. You only need to register once every three years - whether you own one or a thousand drones. Just put the existing reg number in the new drone. Don't pay twice for the same thing!

2. Create an account with DJI using your own personal email address details. Turn on and connect the phone to the RC then the RC to the AC. Follow the onscreen prompts to register the drone to your DJI profile which also activates the DJI warranty.

It says here (https://faadronezone.faa.gov) that you need to set up every drone for $5. The registration number is only linked to my old drone, and it looks like the only way for me to properly register my new drone is to pay $5.

2018-6-8
Use props
B1houdini
Second Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-6-8 14:31
1. You only need to register once every three years - whether you own one or a thousand drones. Just put the existing reg number in the new drone. Don't pay twice for the same thing!

2. Create an account with DJI using your own personal email address details. Turn on and connect the phone to the RC then the RC to the AC. Follow the onscreen prompts to register the drone to your DJI profile which also activates the DJI warranty.

A CW.
Looks like the rules might have changed since we register our drone. I remember as you said ,one registration and it didn't matter how many drones.
I checked and now it says "Registration costs $5 per aircraft and is valid for 3 years.
2018-6-8
Use props
SparksBird
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

B1houdini Posted at 2018-6-8 17:24
A CW.
Looks like the rules might have changed since we register our drone. I remember as you said ,one registration and it didn't matter how many drones.
I checked and now it says "Registration costs $5 per aircraft and is valid for 3 years.

Just them trying to make more $$.  Next they will change it per year
2018-6-8
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Melanie, glad to know everything turns out to be great, appreciate your positive feedback.
For the first question, please check on FAA website or refer to other users' suggestion.
For the second one, the new drone needs to be activated firstly, here is the tutorial video for your reference.
It is recommended to make everything up to date. If the RC didn't link to the drone, please link them according to the tutorial video.

2018-6-8
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

FlyerMelanie Posted at 2018-6-8 14:52
It says here (https://faadronezone.faa.gov) that you need to set up every drone for $5. The registration number is only linked to my old drone, and it looks like the only way for me to properly register my new drone is to pay $5.

What a con - it use to cover all drones.
2018-6-8
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

SparksBird Posted at 2018-6-8 17:26
Just them trying to make more $$.  Next they will change it per year

No doubt the UK will do the same - pleased I only have one drone these days
2018-6-8
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

B1houdini Posted at 2018-6-8 17:24
A CW.

That's not good   
2018-6-8
Use props
Picanoc Jack
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10318117 ft
Canada

I don't think I've ever paid any kind of fee to any government agency to register my drone, I guess if they see that other countries are doing it that they might be one in the near future, let's be quiet on this subject and not give them any ideas.
2018-6-8
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Picanoc Jack Posted at 2018-6-8 23:49
I don't think I've ever paid any kind of fee to any government agency to register my drone, I guess if they see that other countries are doing it that they might be one in the near future, let's be quiet on this subject and not give them any ideas.

The UK government have already made the decision here - it's being legally implemented on 30 November 2019.
2018-6-8
Use props
Picanoc Jack
Second Officer
Canada

A CW Posted at 2018-6-8 23:56
The UK government have already made the decision here - it's being legally implemented on 30 November 2019.

Well I don't think it will be too long after that the Canadian Government will follow suite.
2018-6-9
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Picanoc Jack Posted at 2018-6-9 16:17
Well I don't think it will be too long after that the Canadian Government will follow suite.

Probably given that they have already made drone regs even tighter than the new UK and US laws too.
2018-6-9
Use props
Picanoc Jack
Second Officer
Canada

A CW Posted at 2018-6-9 22:28
Probably given that they have already made drone regs even tighter than the new UK and US laws too.

drone flyers in Montreal Quebec apparently have to get out of the city if they want to fly,  I'm just fortunate that I reside in a remote area.
2018-6-10
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Picanoc Jack Posted at 2018-6-10 02:27
drone flyers in Montreal Quebec apparently have to get out of the city if they want to fly,  I'm just fortunate that I reside in a remote area.

The whole of London is a NFZ - there will be prison sentences next year for flying near airports too... I don't have a problem with that but it shows how heavy the law is getting on drones now.
2018-6-10
Use props
Bob Brown
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4209662 ft
  • >>>
United States

I just tested this and at no time did the site ask for a Serial Number. Not sure how the FAA would know any different.
I logged in and looked for a way to update my current registration with a model or SN... doesnt exist.

Capture.JPG
2018-6-10
Use props
Picanoc Jack
Second Officer
Canada

A CW Posted at 2018-6-10 06:02
The whole of London is a NFZ - there will be prison sentences next year for flying near airports too... I don't have a problem with that but it shows how heavy the law is getting on drones now.

Oh my! Yeah they are getting tough.
2018-6-10
Use props
m4jp
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1228780 ft
United States

Hi.

Correct me if I'm wrong. I just checked the FAA  site (https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/registration/).  To my understanding, you only need to register each drone you have if you will be flying under Part107 which is for commercial use. For hobby or recreational use (section 336), only need to register yourself and use that one ID number for all your drones.

2018-6-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules