Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Jitteri/Stutteri Playback from P4 Adv. in 4k
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BennyK
lvl.1

Hi,

i've read about this problem in many cases spread across multiple years and haven't found an anwser to the problem.

I bought the P4 Adv. a couple of weeks ago and made some tries with diffrent settings.
The basic Problem is that whenever i shoot in 4k regardless of the framerate the video stutters in playback and i mean the file that i pull down from the microSD.

It stutters in every app premiere, VLC, Mediaplayer, quicktime... all of them and on all devices. (Win10 PC, MacBook Pro, Ipad, Iphone)

Here is the untouched File directly from the drone:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qpr6wtzd86mok8v/DJI_0051.MOV?dl=0
(stutter is better visible when downloaded)

PC specs:
i9 7900x clocked to 4.7 Ghz
GTX 1080ti
32gb ram

Playback happened from an M.2 NvMe drive.

The video was shot in manual mode with 24fps, a shutterspeed of 1/50s and 100 ISO. No automatic compensations

Maybe someone knows a solution.

2018-6-9
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Hard to see with those quick, hurried moves  
2018-6-9
Use props
BennyK
lvl.1

ALABAMA Posted at 2018-6-9 08:31
Hard to see with those quick, hurried moves

really? i've choosen this clip because, at least on my computer, the jittering is clearly visible in the horizontal lines of the solar panels and exceptionaly at the edge of the building when the drone leaves the roof area as well when it pans up.
to me it's looking almost like the roof line is skipping or even jumping a couple of centimeters.

i have the feeling that the stutters are stronger if things move faster.

if it's not really visible to you it could be a problem with my playback.
2018-6-9
Use props
Landbo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 502792 ft
Denmark

It's not what I know as jitter/stutter but moir'e pattern you're  watching on the video.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moir%C3%A9_pattern

Regards Leif.
2018-6-9
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

BennyK Posted at 2018-6-9 12:26
really? i've choosen this clip because, at least on my computer, the jittering is clearly visible in the horizontal lines of the solar panels and exceptionaly at the edge of the building when the drone leaves the roof area as well when it pans up.
to me it's looking almost like the roof line is skipping or even jumping a couple of centimeters.

'i have the feeling that the stutters are stronger if things move faster.'

Correct. The problem is your movement is too fast for the frame rate. This would happen on any video camera. Even if you shot it at a much faster frame rate, you would still see that effect. Slow everything down.
2018-6-9
Use props
BennyK
lvl.1

Landbo Posted at 2018-6-9 12:47
It's not what I know as jitter/stutter but moir'e pattern you're  watching on the video.

Hi Leif,

thanks for the answer but it's that's not what i mean. I know what the moire effect is and it doesn't happen just with one single line.
It almost seems like there are frames missing as the lines (or anything else) seem jump from one spot to another.  
2018-6-9
Use props
BennyK
lvl.1

Geebax Posted at 2018-6-9 16:24
'i have the feeling that the stutters are stronger if things move faster.'

Correct. The problem is your movement is too fast for the frame rate. This would happen on any video camera. Even if you shot it at a much faster frame rate, you would still see that effect. Slow everything down.

Hi Geebax,

it thought about that too and made some slower footage up to a veeeerrryyy slow shot and it still happens.

I did use a mavic pro with the very same settings and that footage didn't show any of this "stutteri" effect. it still doesn't when i view the footage and I was flying at full speed past a runner so speed shouldn't be the issue.
I didn't happen when i was filming with my DSLR with 4k 24p 1/50s out of a car that was going 140km/h either.
That and that only some of the people experience the same with their phantom made me think that there might be something wrong with my unit.

Landbo Posted at 2018-6-9 12:47
    It's not what I know as jitter/stutter but moir'e pattern you're  watching on the video.

Hi Leif,

thanks for the answer but it's that's not what i mean. I know what the moire effect is and it doesn't happen just with one single line.
It almost seems like there are frames missing as the lines (or anything else) seem jump from one spot to another.  
2018-6-10
Use props
DEUCEDOG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2501575 ft

Looks ok to me .. but as Geebax  suggests slow it down , also try an ND filter that can also help
2018-6-10
Use props
KedDK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

It is looking alright from here?
What i am wondering is the OP statement "i9 7900x clocked to 4.7 Ghz". if you have overclocked try without and see how things might running smoother. Also the speed of you RAM modules would have to match up with the bus clock or it could be a bottleneck making everything jerky.
2018-6-10
Use props
Landbo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 502792 ft
Denmark

BennyK Posted at 2018-6-9 23:46
Hi Leif,

Yes ok with moir'e. I can not see any stutter in your video clip, no matter if I play it on my old HD laptop or my newer FHD base computer with an SSD drive that I use for my video editing. Should I be very critical I see little interframe in few places where the picture is quiet with many details. But that's not quite much.

When you play the file from your SSD drive you should not have stutter at all. However, I have previously heard of some computers that have a software error in their bios so playback of 4k can stutter. Can not remember brand or type, but it might be worth to investigate if your computer has such an error.

Regards Leif.
2018-6-10
Use props
BennyK
lvl.1

Hey guys thanks for all the help!
It turned out that it seems to be a playback issue.
Some of the drivers don't like each other and create a conflict with the drone footage.

Again thanks for all the advices!

2018-6-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules