Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
I feel sick
1016 29 2018-6-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
embayweather
Captain
Flight distance : 556667 ft
United Kingdom

I have just taken a friend to a local stock car event. WHen iw as dropping him off I noticed someone flying a Spark above the crowd, the cars, buildings, everything. Completely against the Drone Code here in the U.K. What made it worse was the fact that he was flying it from inside without any line of sight, just the very small phone screen he had. None of the flyers on here will have any doubt that something was very wrong here, but he was so confident that he said he was going to get his commerical 'licence'. OMG is this the calibre of applicants and pilots we have now? Absolutely frightening.
2018-6-10
Use props
Aurelian (Spark)
Captain
Flight distance : 563799 ft
  • >>>
Spain

Unbelievable!!! There are people who have no sense of responsibility or respect for others. If I see something like this in Spain, I'm going to report it for sure. We should not tolerate people and behaviors like this.
2018-6-10
Use props
pmshop
Captain
Flight distance : 4099518 ft
  • >>>

I had 2 hots that I did where there were crowds.
A small town Christmas celebration...where I flew over the buildings only, crowd was in the streets...and
The recent graduation of my local high school...where the closest I came over the graduates was right down the middle of the aisle between the seating areas on the football field.
For the spectators, not even close...about a 8 lane running track width between the drone and the crowd.
Great shots can be had...even done safely.
2018-6-10
Use props
Blellow
First Officer
Flight distance : 921657 ft
  • >>>
United States

Get perspective!  Humans have been doing bad things since the beginning of time. Are u knew to the planet?

People bomb families with children in the name of their country killing tundra,wildlife, n humans without care.  

Where do u think drone flying falls on the list of evil?
2018-6-10
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 1934931 ft
Netherlands

You can't fix stupid....
2018-6-10
Use props
Gunship9
Captain
United States

Fly a brick that you have stickers on labeling it a quadcopter around him.  Hold it over his head and drop it like the motors just cut out.  Oops.  Technical malfunction we can blame on the brick manufacturer.  This way you have as much disregard for others as he has
2018-6-10
Use props
embayweather
Captain
United Kingdom

Sad,y I have seen too much in my hospital career of people not caring, and not trying to help others. My wife sees it most nights in Emergency still. So much is preventable with just a little thought of what the consequences could be. The human factor aside, how much damage would such an incident  do to our hobby/work? It is only a matter of time before a serious incident takes place and then all drone ownership will be under the microscope.
2018-6-10
Use props
embayweather
Captain
United Kingdom

PS forgot to mention he was ejected from the gathering a short while later.
2018-6-10
Use props
JimFandango
Second Officer
Flight distance : 130768 ft
United Kingdom

embayweather Posted at 2018-6-10 13:16
PS forgot to mention he was ejected from the gathering a short while later.

Sounds like the correct response. You can't stop people buying Sparks, so there will be a percentage of owners who are idiots. That's why I'm in favour of more regulations. It's only take one guy like the one you've described flying into a baby's face and blinding it before there will be a knee jerk total ban with full public support. Drone flyers are a minority. If the general public feel sufficiently threatened by drones, they will be banned.
2018-6-11
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

What an absolute idiot. I'm glad I wasn't there. If he flew over my families head like that I would have found him...
2018-6-11
Use props
MKPSG12
First Officer
Flight distance : 341073 ft
United Kingdom

JimFandango Posted at 2018-6-11 00:00
Sounds like the correct response. You can't stop people buying Sparks, so there will be a percentage of owners who are idiots. That's why I'm in favour of more regulations. It's only take one guy like the one you've described flying into a baby's face and blinding it before there will be a knee jerk total ban with full public support. Drone flyers are a minority. If the general public feel sufficiently threatened by drones, they will be banned.

Don't worry, the ban is on the way, they've just got to get the registration stage in place first to criminalise anyone who isn't registered. Then they'll start pricing people out of the hobby (cost of 'licence', enforced flying lessons, only certain types of drones acceptable and no home builds etc), then they'll start making it awkward (got to be a member of a flying club, can only fly in flying club designated areas). Then they wait for a high profile incident to happen and bosch, in comes the ban.
And the whole thing is started by idiots as mentioned in the OP's post that give the government/police the opportunity to do it, he's probably not even into drones that much and will move onto the next thing to ruin once he can't get a drone.

Not that i'm a cynic or anything....
2018-6-11
Use props
Mildman
Second Officer

United Kingdom

People drive cars... they are licensed,insured, registered, safety checks on cars (MOT), theory tests, driving tests, speed cameras... but a foolish, selfish minority still drive and behave like fools and drive uninsured.

Regulation in RC modelling will make zero difference, it'll just drive the industry/hobby underground, which in turn makes it less safe.

I have one drone and 15 planes...the planes have the capability of flying faster, farther with no GPS or stabilisation.... if regulation is important from a safety perspective, are we going to register/regulate the planes too?

Catch and punish the people who fly like idiots (public disorder etc...)...YES!
Regulate the cr@p out of the hobby so that 'expert' drone fliers can feel important, superior and an expert pilot...NO!
2018-6-11
Use props
DJI Stephen
Super Moderator

Hi. Thank you for raising your concern to us. We should all follow the rules and regulations in flying a drone. We should always put first the safety of people around us. Let us be the proper examples for the future drone owners. Let us be responsible drone owners.
2018-6-11
Use props
DPJ
First Officer
Flight distance : 21686 ft
United Kingdom

And the Over-reaction Of The Year award goes to...................
2018-6-11
Use props
JimFandango
Second Officer
Flight distance : 130768 ft

DPJ Posted at 2018-6-11 12:07
And the Over-reaction Of The Year award goes to...................

From the ironic name choice, as well!
2018-6-11
Use props
Mildman
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Ok, I retract my statement.
I want new laws to ban people from owning or flying drones,unless it's licensed and they pass a test which makes accidents impossible.

No issues will occur ever again.  
2018-6-11
Use props
davidmartingraf
Captain
Flight distance : 38060446 ft
  • >>>

I'm sorry you make a valid point about the way this person was incorrectly flying the Spark. But you make a lot of assertions about the person you state was flying indoors so confident. You dropped your friend off or did you go indoors to talk with him?
2018-6-11
Use props
embayweather
Captain
United Kingdom

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-6-11 21:39
I'm sorry you make a valid point about the way this person was incorrectly flying the Spark. But you make a lot of assertions about the person you state was flying indoors so confident. You dropped your friend off or did you go indoors to talk with him?

I had to hang around a while whilst various traffic passed on the way to the race ring and other places. That is how I watched him, as I had to turn off my engine and wait until the steward said it was safe to move.
2018-6-12
Use props
embayweather
Captain
United Kingdom

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-6-11 21:39

I had to hang around a while whilst various traffic passed on the way to the race ring and other places. That is how I watched him, as I had to turn off my engine and wait until the steward said it was safe to move.
2018-6-12
Use props
davidmartingraf
Captain
  • >>>

embayweather Posted at 2018-6-12 04:04
I had to hang around a while whilst various traffic passed on the way to the race ring and other places. That is how I watched him, as I had to turn off my engine and wait until the steward said it was safe to move.

I'm sorry you had to be in that position, it could be quite daunting having to be inconvenienced because of someone not following the rules.
2018-6-12
Use props
davidmartingraf
Captain
  • >>>

embayweather Posted at 2018-6-12 04:04
I had to hang around a while whilst various traffic passed on the way to the race ring and other places. That is how I watched him, as I had to turn off my engine and wait until the steward said it was safe to move.

I'm sorry you had to be in that position, it could be quite daunting having to be inconvenienced because of someone not following the rules.
2018-6-12
Use props
embayweather
Captain
United Kingdom

It wasn't any inconvenience it was the concern that he was actually flying a drone, without consent I would guess, in that sort of environment, in addition he was also expecting to become a PfCO holder too.
2018-6-13
Use props
Phantomski
Captain
Flight distance : 10666982 ft
United States

I find that sometimes u can talk with such pple, sometimes u cannot.. i usually would not try to tell them "u r doing it wrong".. but start just chatting about flying, and then  mention how I sometimes do things not following regs, and mention that flying over is one of those and why.. especially with my phantom 3 or 4... sometimes it gets them thinking.. and sometimes it does not.... I have enough experience with cops, where too often they go full force with their "i am the law"...  so I always try to go the other way, and educate as much as I can..., But some pple r not even receptive to that... Oh well.. There's only so much we can do...
2018-8-11
Use props
embayweather
Captain
United Kingdom

Phantomski Posted at 2018-8-11 13:49
I find that sometimes u can talk with such pple, sometimes u cannot.. i usually would not try to tell them "u r doing it wrong".. but start just chatting about flying, and then  mention how I sometimes do things not following regs, and mention that flying over is one of those and why.. especially with my phantom 3 or 4... sometimes it gets them thinking.. and sometimes it does not....  I have enough experience with cops, where too often they go full force with their "i am the law"...  so I always try to go the other way, and educate as much as I can..., But some pple r not even receptive to that... Oh well.. There's only so much we can do...

I could not agree more with you. I have come across many 'pilots' like this one over time and I find it easier to not get officious. In his case he was barred from the course. One recently seemed to think that because he was not doing it for profit then it was fine for him to fly where and how he wished. His published videos speak volumes as to what is wrong.
Being disabled I can enough angst from folk on an everyday basis anyway, so i think it would be unlikely anyone would listen to me, even though I have my PfCO, and try to keep up with all the changes going on. Sadly such 'pilots'  will only make it harder for those of us who follow the rules, whilst for them they just become more rules to break.
2018-8-12
Use props
Greg F
Captain
Flight distance : 656955 ft
Australia

The world is full of idiots that have no regard for anything else but themselves..
2018-8-12
Use props
Phantomski
Captain
Flight distance : 10666982 ft
United States

and quite often it is a momentary idiocy... it's very easy to start doing dumb things when u get excited, especially if some is watching and u begin to show of.. Even real aircraft pilots suffer from "airshow syndrome".... Perhaps we really need to stop judging, and not assume things - but most certainly educate - or try.... I certainly do not do everything by the book - although i do try my best to use my brain and eliminate as much danger as i can see potentially....
2018-8-13
Use props
Northwood
Captain
Flight distance : 632753 ft
Canada

Greg F Posted at 2018-8-12 03:54
The world is full of idiots that have no regard for anything else but themselves..

Hence the rise of populism and extreme bad manners.  Sad but true.  <end of mini-rant>

Personally, I am getting in as many hours flying as I can, the end will come, I am certain of it.  Might take a while, but it will be an outlaw's game eventually.

Fly safe everyone.
2018-8-13
Use props
Greg F
Captain
Flight distance : 656955 ft
Australia

Northwood Posted at 2018-8-13 08:12
Hence the rise of populism and extreme bad manners.  Sad but true.  

Personally, I am getting in as many hours flying as I can, the end will come, I am certain of it.  Might take a while, but it will be an outlaw's game eventually.

I fly locally and have never had any issues with other people.   As long as you adhere to the basic rules then you have nothing to worry about.   But these idiots will ruin it for everyone..
2018-8-13
Use props
Lucas775
Captain
Flight distance : 12642854 ft
  • >>>
United States

Oh by, someone opened a can of worms.
2018-8-13
Use props
DPJ
First Officer
Flight distance : 21686 ft
United Kingdom

Jesus Christ, climb down off your high horses people. You sound like some sort of evangelical church group condemning the guy for blasphemy. Yes what he did was silly, but not a single person on here can tell me they've never done anything stupid in their life.
2018-8-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules