DJi May have the least concern for the customer on anyone.
1266 17 2018-6-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SpiralElm
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4678 ft
United States

Ok, I have a spark for over a year now. It has been a fustation from day one, DJI and this forum has been no help . DJI iqnores you and the fanboys just like to criticize you for not loving DJI the way they do.

I have given up and not really tried to fly for the past several months only to try again today to see if anything is better, it's not.  I didn't buy the spark the devote my live to it, it is a toy a camera that flies. I cannot figure out why DJI and so many on this forum thing it is ok to require several hours a week to keep this toy flying.  So lets talk about today,  I launch for GO 4 app to see it wants to update, nope it seems happy. So after much effort I find the version number, they can't put an about on the app, you have to connect to the remote, then the spark, then pretend to fly.....anyway it is 4.1.18, no where near the newest. So I try to find an update in the go 4 app, nope doesn't exist.  Anyway I take the spark outside, as I remember doing before, I have to Disconnect to my WIFI, then go to airplane mode, then connect wifi to the RC.....Stupid but that is what DJI wants.  It connects, after waiting a while it sees the the GPS satalites and I see the home point is updated. I take off,  within one minute, signal lost, nope signal is back, nope signal lost.  You are risking your spark by just taking off. So I go get the cable some folks on You tube said a few months ago,  OTG cable.... I plug it in, and it flys, signal stays connected but when you look no idea how much battery is left and DJI says don't use it.... Then stay connected to the phone that is 1 inch from the remote then!!!! Yes my phone is on the approved android list, and I will not even start about how DJI treats Android customers with late and non-working updates compared to the holy IOS....

So to the forums, because DJI has no support I learned last time, hundreds of subjects but not offical answers, only guesses by well meaning folks that have had simalar problems.  They say to try everything from eathing raw potatoes to uninstalling everything and start over....

Why cannot this thing just work, why to DJI put there customers through so much headaches and problems, They are the ones that advvertise this as a starter drone that was easy to fly and connect..... It isn't, it is a nightmare..... Why not come up with a PC application where I can just plug all the parts in and they update everything,  and not the DJI assistant aint' that.........by the way DJI removed me from the forums, so I had to set up another account to even post....

This are my thoughts for anyone who cares, if you don't agree fine......
2018-6-10
Use props
Jovial
lvl.2
Flight distance : 87677 ft
United States

My spark has been perfectly fine no problems with updates no problems with video where are you flying? And with the dji assistant application you can update all firmware through it. plug it in with the micro usb port on the spark
2018-6-10
Use props
Mirek6
lvl.4
Flight distance : 609724 ft
Canada

Spiralelm,

If you read this forum, as you claim you do, you would have known that DJI GO 4.1.18 does not work with OTG.

You would also have known that there are issues with video lag when connecting via wifi.

Instead of wining, please update your DJI GO app to version 4.2.12. It works well with OTG on Android devices. Also, since you admitted you have not flown for a while, update firmware on RC, AC and your batteries.

Once you did that, go and calibrate your compass and IMU.

If, after this, you still have issues, ask this forum. I am sure many will try to help.
2018-6-10
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hello. We sincerely apologize for the trouble that may have caused you and for the inconvenience that you're having right now. We would like to improve our customer service so this will be escalated to one of our higher management. Can you provide me your personal details via PM?
2018-6-11
Use props
SpiralElm
lvl.1
United States

My post was about my experiences with my Spark... Anyone that says they have been using a android version of GO 4 and not had problems I just don't believe, just look at these forums.  I don't need you to tell me that I am wining because I expect the device to work..  Your remark that I should just update is uninformed, I have been trying to "update it",  It will not update..... There is no option to update in this software and no update requester appears when you launch the app,   Even trying to force an android system app settings to update doesn't work.   From your other comment, I know DJI blocks the OTG from working with 4.1.18, problem is WIFI doesn't work either.... Drops and losing connections....   Now for the DJI assistant you seem to beleive in... It says everything is up to date, it will not allow me to update anything.

I just don't know why it is wining to expect this expensive toy to work....  
2018-6-11
Use props
Mildman
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Mirek6 Posted at 2018-6-10 19:12
Spiralelm,

If you read this forum, as you claim you do, you would have known that DJI GO 4.1.18 does not work with OTG.

Although I understand thr point you are making, it is also part of the problem and why the poster has  his frustrations

Multiple software and firmware changes that deliver 'new' featues and functionality should be deemed as a positive....but in DJI's case, and on Android in particular, it has sometimes removed features, functionality and useability...very rarely are these removals communicated (The unsupported OTG/No OTG subject is a perfect example).

Considering this is a an off-the-shelf product, DJI's management of firmware and software, has made things more difficult than they need to for the folk who just want to connect and fly.
2018-6-11
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

SpiralElm, I understand your frustration and would like to help you as well. There are still some points need to clarify and confirm:
1. Regarding the signal lost issue, have you adjusted to the antennas direction during the flight? What's the estimated altitude and distance when this happened?
2. As for the OTG, we sincerely apologize for the waiting, our engineers keep working on it. It still takes some time to test and ensure the stability. We appreciate your understanding and patience.
3. Also, for the removed issue, may I have the username or the homepage you referred? I have a quick look at your homepage, the last post was about 3rd Feb. Not sure what happened to you, but we're willing to investigate and try our best to help you.
2018-6-11
Use props
SpiralElm
lvl.1
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-6-11 04:46
SpiralElm, I understand your frustration and would like to help you as well. There are still some points need to clarify and confirm:
1. Regarding the signal lost issue, have you adjusted to the antennas direction during the flight? What's the estimated altitude and distance when this happened?
2. As for the OTG, we sincerely apologize for the waiting, our engineers keep working on it. It still takes some time to test and ensure the stability. We appreciate your understanding and patience.

Hi,

Signal loss seems to be between the phone and the remote not the remote and spark. That is why we need the OTG so badly.  I maintain control of the spark but the video feed breaks up, shutters to the point of uselessness. So the spark must remain very close to me, normally with a few dozen feet.

Also if there is a new version for the android that "is suppose" to address some of the wifi issues  why cannot I download it.  And to connect to the spark why must I go through the process of turning off wifi, go into airplane mode, then reconnect wifi to the remote only to have the app tell me to update the flight restriction database that will not update because I am not on wifi.   This shouldn't be this HARD......
2018-6-11
Use props
Mirek6
lvl.4
Canada

Sure - all good points. Yes - frustration is justified (although hardly ever helpful :-).

I had my share of issues with DJI GO on Android. So I experimented. Even though DJI says that OTG is not supported, on my device (LG G5) and with version 4.2.12 it works very well. As a matter of fact, after months of struggling with DJI GO crashes, video lags etc, I finally found version which does work. I fly with this version since it was released few months ago and it never crashed and does show accurate telemetry data. I really recommend that you update DJI Go to this particular version if you have Android device. Of course I cannot confirm if it will work just as well on the mobile device you are using but I have seen enough comments on this forum to confirm that it is very good version. You can get this version from https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/dji-technology-co-ltd/

As for the firmware. If you do not get prompts to update the firmware, chances are you are on latest one which was released about half a year ago. Check the firmware version you have to confirm.

Also, open ticket with DJI support. They are, in my experience, quite fast with their help and responses. But through the ticket with DJI Support, not this forum :-).
2018-6-11
Use props
SpiralElm
lvl.1
United States

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback and I am glad you finally got it working.  I would love to try  version 4.2.12 but I can't....Goodness knows why.... I don't want to side load this apk, if it is legit why doesn't DJI push it out through normal updates......

DJI to have such "high tech" company cannot seem to update their products in a timely or effective manner....  I just wish I never had bought this thing....
2018-6-11
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

SpiralElm Posted at 2018-6-11 05:51
Hi,

Signal loss seems to be between the phone and the remote not the remote and spark. That is why we need the OTG so badly.  I maintain control of the spark but the video feed breaks up, shutters to the point of uselessness. So the spark must remain very close to me, normally with a few dozen feet.

As the mobile and RC connected with WiFi, we suggest to put the mobile device in airplane mode and disable the Bluetooth to avoid the interference. Also, may I know which mobile device do you use? I know there are still many things need to improve in the Android version, it would be better to name the mobile type and version for further optimization.
2018-6-11
Use props
SpiralElm
lvl.1
United States

I have tried several android devices, all the same results, but to answer your question, my top 2 phones are the Nexus 5 and Nexus 6.... both pure android phones....The point I am making is that DJI should never had sold the spark when it was not, and 18 months later, still is not complete.   No company should release a product as a off the shelf product that requires a user to change so much on your phone to even get the thing to work badly,   DJI doesn't care, have not seen ANY fixes or improvements only promises.   Adding Panoramic mode does no good when you keep losing control of the spark.

Sorry but I am so frustrated that I was such a fool to trust DJI when they told us fixes will be coming soon,   I bought this thing that just doesn't work and will never work......
2018-6-12
Use props
Mirek6
lvl.4
Canada

SpiralElm Posted at 2018-6-11 09:48
Hi,

Thanks for the feedback and I am glad you finally got it working.  I would love to try  version 4.2.12 but I can't....Goodness knows why.... I don't want to side load this apk, if it is legit why doesn't DJI push it out through normal updates......

You say: "Goodness knows why.... I don't want to side load this apk, if it is legit why doesn't DJI push it out through normal updates......"

I understand your concerns. APK Mirror has nothing to do with DJI  so DJI does not endorse it. APK stands for Android Package Kit. It is managed by the same people who manage Android Police.

DJI will always tell you to install the newest version of DJI GO (4.2.20 now) since, they claim, it contains the most recent updates. The problem is that DJI GO is an application which works for multiple DJI drones and the updates in new versions are not necessarily helping Spark functionality. What is worse, in many cases, the updates make Spark functionality worse. This is why some good people on this forum take on themselves to test new DJI GO versions and report any issues. Other pilots can decide then if to upgrade to new version or keep the older one.

Unfortunately, once DJI pushes out new version, old one disappears from the Play Store. The only way to get the older version is through another set of good people who load them for eternity on APK Mirror. I encourage you to google APK Mirror and read about it - what it is and how it is managed. I bet that millions are using it for various reasons. I, for one, certainly downloaded multiple versions of DJI GO app from this site. Also, if you scan through this forum, you will find tens of references suggesting to download DJI GO from APK Mirror.

Having said all that - I do emphatize with you and your concerns.  You made me smile when you said "Sorry but I am so frustrated that I was such a fool to trust DJI when they told us fixes will be coming soon". DJI says since last October that their engineers are working on OTG support for Android.
There is no way it would take so long if they really tried. So I just ignore DJI promises - they carry little weight. On the other hand, I had nothing but positive and quick support when I contacted them with issues with my Spark's hardware. Your experience is, unfortunately different.

Good luck!

2018-6-12
Use props
SpiralElm
lvl.1
United States

Mirek6 Posted at 2018-6-12 05:01
You say: "Goodness knows why.... I don't want to side load this apk, if it is legit why doesn't DJI push it out through normal updates......"

I understand your concerns. APK Mirror has nothing to do with DJI  so DJI does not endorse it. APK stands for Android Package Kit. It is managed by the same people who manage Android Police.

Thanks for the information,  

It was nice to have someone try to assist instead of flaming.....Maybe I will try to side load the latest version of GO 4 and see if that helps,  I just cannot figure why the latest version doesn't update from the play store...   From your experiences, and I will not hold you to this,  when side loading the latest version of the GO 4 app did the process go smoothly..  I understand that my experiences may be different.
2018-6-12
Use props
Mirek6
lvl.4
Canada

SpiralElm Posted at 2018-6-12 06:54
Thanks for the information,  

It was nice to have someone try to assist instead of flaming.....Maybe I will try to side load the latest version of GO 4 and see if that helps,  I just cannot figure why the latest version doesn't update from the play store...   From your experiences, and I will not hold you to this,  when side loading the latest version of the GO 4 app did the process go smoothly..  I understand that my experiences may be different.

Yes - I never had issues with downloading DJI GO App from the Play Store. But you have different mobile device so your experience may be different.

The problem with Android devices is that there is hundreds of them around and, while theoretically having the same operating system they should behave in the same way, they differ in some key minutia.
That's why it is order of magnitude harder to test them as compared to iPhones where h/w and s/w is strictly controlled by one company.

Now - before jumping to latest 4.2.20, read some articles about it on this forum. I would guess that, for one, OTG would still not work. Without OTG your video experience may be sub-par (delay, jugginess etc.). It is beyond me why DJI cannot get WiFi to work perfectly between mobile and RC (they are 10 cm from each other so making transmission bullet proof and with very low latency should be no brainer - this problem has been solved decade ago). But I accept these little silly annoyances - it is what it is - caveat emptor. I simply try to find what works in my case, try to get as knowledgeable as possible and ignore things I have no control over.

Maybe it is my positive side which speaks, but despite many annoying experiences with Spark (as a matter of fact my Spark is now at DJI's repair facility because camera gimbal decided to act in weird ways) I do consider it a miniature marvel of technology. My profession is s/w engineering, so I do grudgingly accept that there will be bugs in s/w, firmware and h/w and with the complexity of these toys there is little we can do but persevere.

Again - good luck!
2018-6-12
Use props
SpiralElm
lvl.1
United States

Thanks for taking the time to provide your feedback.......

I will have to think about it before I try anything....

2018-6-12
Use props
Mirek6
lvl.4
Canada

SpiralElm Posted at 2018-6-12 08:58
Thanks for taking the time to provide your feedback.......

I will have to think about it before I try anything....

Read this before upgrading to 4.2.20:
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=151676&extra=page%3D1%26filter%3Dtypeid%26typeid%3D438%26typeid%3D438
Overall: not recommended.
2018-6-12
Use props
SpiralElm
lvl.1
United States

Thanks, Looks like they made it even worse.....Glad you warned me........
2018-6-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules