DJI's firmware server so slow Assistant-2 quits downloading
2405 8 2018-6-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
Netherlands

Wondering if anyone else is experiencing very slow Firmware updates when using Assistant-2?

Slow enough that Assistant-2 will sometimes stall, then quit downloading firmware.  

Requiring Assistant-2 to be exited, restarted, and firmware update process restarted.

Download speeds from DJI's firmware server(s) were only running around 4.5 Mbps, and later 2.5 Mbps.  

While internet connection when tested showed capability of 9.5 Mbps, and later 17.9 Mbps.

2018-6-10
Use props
DINGO DOWN UNDA
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3058816 ft
Australia

Yes I have found that. Its like the connection to DJI's servers goes to sleep.....and then my own connection goes to sleep.To counteract this I have the weather radar going in the background that refreshes every 30 secs or so to keep everything "awake" if you know what I mean. When I do this everything works !!!
2018-6-10
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

I am sorry that you are having issues with downloading the DJI Assistant 2 on your PC. Let me help you with this issue. I will be posting a link where we can download the latest DJI Assistant 2 firmware.

https://www.dji.com/mavic/info#downloads

Please try to download the DJI Assistant 2 in these link and let us try to see if there is a difference. Thank you.
2018-6-11
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

How many firmware updates did you do today if I may ask?
2018-6-11
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-6-11 07:43
How many firmware updates did you do today if I may ask?

#1 - Re-Revert for Mavic Pro - failed
#2 - Re-Revert for Mavic Pro - worked
#3 - Revert for R.C. - failed
#4 - Revert for R.C. - worked

Two de-updates of firmware or Four attempted de-updates of firmware depending on how you look at it.  
Okay, technically - yesterday.

2018-6-11
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-6-11 07:54
#1 - Re-Revert for Mavic Pro - failed
#2 - Re-Revert for Mavic Pro - worked
#3 - Revert for R.C. - failed

Ok, since no new firmware was released today as far as I know, we can probably exclude server overload due to high demand. I usually install new firmware as soon as possible after release (thus at times of high demand) and until now they always went through fast and flawlessly. That's all I can contribute to the topic. Maybe you just happened to do it at a time when some maintenance was running, who knows... Recently there was a case like that and after short time all was back to normal.
2018-6-11
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-6-11 08:14
Ok, since no new firmware was released today as far as I know, we can probably exclude server overload due to high demand. I usually install new firmware as soon as possible after release (thus at times of high demand) and until now they always went through fast and flawlessly. That's all I can contribute to the topic. Maybe you just happened to do it at a time when some maintenance was running, who knows... Recently there was a case like that and after short time all was back to normal.

Could be.  But a Billion dollar company should:
1) have multiple servers to keep that from being an issue
2) farmed distribution of firmware / software out to sites designed to handle such loads

Always wonder how a person new to drones or with little technical knowledge would handle such situations.  
2018-6-11
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-6-11 08:24
Could be.  But a Billion dollar company should:
1) have multiple servers to keep that from being an issue
2) farmed distribution of firmware / software out to sites designed to handle such loads

"Always wonder how a person new to drones or with little technical knowledge would handle such situations."

With some patience ;-)
2018-6-11
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-6-11 08:32
"Always wonder how a person new to drones or with little technical knowledge would handle such situations."

With some patience ;-)

Betting, "Some patience" goes bye-bye when you are still seeing 46% - 15 minutes later.
2018-6-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules