Phantom 3 Std's shell much stronger than P4?
12Next >
2040 44 2018-6-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dan P4
lvl.3
Flight distance : 89603 ft
United States

I've been meaning to ask this question on the forum for quite a while--
I've crashed my P3 Std at least 15 times, maybe more.  It was my first drone and many of the crashes were really VIOLENT.  Example--I  was flying around some really tall pines.    So I'm flying around and being so new to this sport I let it get caught in one of the branches-- so I kinda panic and start flipping one of the front toggles to make it RTH.  About that time it was falling 30 to 40 ft  and crashes into a sand road---well about the same time I pick it up, look at it and set it down again the RTH  kicks in and there she goes again--straight up to the same tree and hits the same branches and down she comes--BAM!  i"m flipping out (I had just bought it!). I go over and pick it up, hold it in my hand---the RTH kicks in--I'm so surprised I  lose my grip and up she goes--that's all I'm sayin"    ...

That's 3 big time crashes in a row.  The last time I flew it, I was in a field and lost control of it and BAM --it glanced off a roof and bounced up and broadsided the house next door.  Took about 30 mins to find the camera!  

Now it won't connect to the RC so I've kind of retired her.  With the P4 I let it get caught in a very small short tree--I had to send it in for repair--shell bent.  I think they gave me a brand new one.   So last night  I was working on settings while I let it hover about 130 ft.  I  start to bring it down and caught a tree branch --it fell about ten feet--shells bent, the gimbles cracked and the ribbon cable is ripped in half...

Anyway, has anyone noticed the difference in durability between the two?  The only reason I ask is --shouldn't the newer model be  at least as tough as the older model if not tougher?

Dan

2018-6-10
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Sounds like you may need one made out of steel lol.
2018-6-11
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

I am sorry to hear about what happened to your aircraft. I highly recommend to send in the unit to our facility for diagnosis and repair. In that way, they will be able to provide a feedback for the reason why it was crashed. You may start the request by clicking on this link: http://www.dji.com/support
2018-6-11
Use props
Hellsgate
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

With that track record I would wrap it in bubble wrap before you fly
2018-6-11
Use props
Dan P4
lvl.3
United States

Hellsgate Posted at 2018-6-11 12:50
With that track record I would wrap it in bubble wrap before you fly

Dear Cap'

I wanted an answer to my question regarding the durability of the P3 and P4 not your smart a** remarks.

Is that how you made the rank of captain?
2018-6-19
Use props
Dan P4
lvl.3
United States

ALABAMA Posted at 2018-6-11 03:03
Sounds like you may need one made out of steel lol.

Again another captain with no constructive advice or opinion on the matter I inquired about.  Maybe there should be a forum catagory for "Wasting peoples time with bad humor".
2018-6-19
Use props
Dan P4
lvl.3
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2018-6-11 11:43
I am sorry to hear about what happened to your aircraft. I highly recommend to send in the unit to our facility for diagnosis and repair. In that way, they will be able to provide a feedback for the reason why it was crashed. You may start the request by clicking on this link: http://www.dji.com/support

Natalia,  I know why it crashed, it was me not paying attention.  This is the 2nd time I've crashed, the first time being the forward object avoidance not working which was confirmed by DJI.

Anyway, I just wanted opinions about the durability of the P3 compared to the P4.

But thank you for your reply.  
2018-6-19
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Dan P4 Posted at 2018-6-19 13:55
Natalia,  I know why it crashed, it was me not paying attention.  This is the 2nd time I've crashed, the first time being the forward object avoidance not working which was confirmed by DJI.

Anyway, I just wanted opinions about the durability of the P3 compared to the P4.

You are most welcome.
2018-6-19
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

To answer your question, they are the same strength.
The outcome of any crash is variable and the amount of damage depends on many factors.

Have you identified the common factor was in all your crashes and worked out what you need to do differently to avoid crashing in future?
Maybe you should try flying where there's nothing to crash into.
2018-6-19
Use props
Dan P4
lvl.3
United States

Labroides Posted at 2018-6-19 14:20
To answer your question, they are the same strength.
The outcome of any crash is variable and the amount of damage depends on many factors.

Again Cap,

There is an air of the smart a** coming out of you again.  Just how do you know the shells are equal in strength?  Do you think you can answer that without the arrogant attitude?
2018-6-19
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
United States

Dan P4 Posted at 2018-6-19 13:50
Again another captain with no constructive advice or opinion on the matter I inquired about.  Maybe there should be a forum catagory for "Wasting peoples time with bad humor".

Maybe you should learn to fly correctly.  No one can teach you not to be reckless.  Anyone who has had that many crashes is not listening to answers anyway.
2018-6-19
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Dan P4 Posted at 2018-6-19 14:37
Again Cap,

There is an air of the smart a** coming out of you again.  Just how do you know the shells are equal in strength?  Do you think you can answer that without the arrogant attitude?

The arrogance is coming from you smart ass.
How do I know?
I've worked with the shells of both models and because I have an IQ higher than room temperature and I've examined the results of many crashes.
If you're going to present your flying record as a series of crashes, expect people to comment on it.

Here's a tip for you.
If you fly where there's nothing to hit, it's hard to get into trouble.
2018-6-19
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
United States

Labroides Posted at 2018-6-19 14:52
How do I know?
I've worked with the shells of both models and because I have an IQ higher than room temperature and I've examined the results of many crashes.

Labroides, this has to be a kid with no manners  Time to push the IGNORE button.  Kid, go crash your drone some more.
2018-6-19
Use props
Dan P4
lvl.3
United States

ALABAMA Posted at 2018-6-19 14:59
Labroides, this has to be a kid with no manners  Time to push the IGNORE button.  Kid, go crash your drone some more.

When I read you BS I picture a punk nerd that has been bullied all his wimpy life and now has an avenue to get  (in your own mind) revenge somehow.

When I ask a question on a grown up forum, I expect to be helped, not have some nerdy puke try to be a man.  So hit your ignore button wimp, and just leave me alone.  
2018-6-19
Use props
Dan P4
lvl.3
United States

Labroides Posted at 2018-6-19 14:52
How do I know?

Of course your wimpy ass still hasn't answered my original question which tells me you ain't got the foggiest notion of what the shells are made of.  

Yo sure are a dimwit if I've ever seen one.
2018-6-19
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
United States

Dan P4 Posted at 2018-6-19 15:30
When I read you BS I picture a punk nerd that has been bullied all his wimpy life and now has an avenue to get  (in your own mind) revenge somehow.

When I ask a question on a grown up forum, I expect to be helped, not have some nerdy puke try to be a man.  So hit your ignore button wimp, and just leave me alone.

Haha, If you only knew.
2018-6-19
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Dan P4 Posted at 2018-6-19 15:32
Of course your wimpy ass still hasn't answered my original question which tells me you ain't got the foggiest notion of what the shells are made of.  

Yo sure are a dimwit if I've ever seen one.

Seems I was too subtle for you Mr Moron so I'll try again.
Anyway, has anyone noticed the difference in durability between the two?  The only reason I ask is --shouldn't the newer model be  at least as tough as the older model if not tougher?
I've noticed that the shells are of identical material, of similar thickness and moulding and the new model is just as strong as the older one.
Now go back and learn to fly safely and you won't need to be concerned anout imaginary differences..
2018-6-19
Use props
Dan P4
lvl.3
United States

Labroides Posted at 2018-6-19 16:13
Anyway, has anyone noticed the difference in durability between the two?  The only reason I ask is --shouldn't the newer model be  at least as tough as the older model if not tougher?
I've noticed that the shells are of identical material, of similar thickness and moulding and the new model is just as strong as the older one.

you don't know what you are talking about son, period.  So  you go back and play DJI Captain all you want and quit wasting my time.
2018-6-19
Use props
Dan P4
lvl.3
United States

Labroides Posted at 2018-6-19 16:13
Anyway, has anyone noticed the difference in durability between the two?  The only reason I ask is --shouldn't the newer model be  at least as tough as the older model if not tougher?
I've noticed that the shells are of identical material, of similar thickness and moulding and the new model is just as strong as the older one.

Sorry, I got the two of you nerds mixed up.  But as I said to 'bama boy, go play captain all you want with all your nerdy buddies , stop wasting my time and leave me alone.
2018-6-19
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Dan P4 Posted at 2018-6-19 17:15
Sorry, I got the two of you nerds mixed up.  But as I said to 'bama boy, go play captain all you want with all your nerdy buddies , stop wasting my time and leave me alone.

You got you answer back in post number 9. And he was right, there is little difference in the strength of the shells. If anything some batches of the P3 had weak shells.
2018-6-19
Use props
ATJ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 17736 ft

Geebax Posted at 2018-6-19 22:55
You got you answer back in post number 9. And he was right, there is little difference in the strength of the shells. If anything some batches of the P3 had weak shells.

You know, I have read all these reply's to you posts and these people are right. Anybody who has to ask "is one shell stronger than the other" and has had as many crashes as you have shouldn't be flying anything, especially a quadcopter. You are a danger to people, what if someone was outside and in the line of fire of the house you hit. I would seriously rethink my choice in hobbies if I were you.
2018-6-20
Use props
Dan P4
lvl.3
United States

ATJ Posted at 2018-6-20 01:57
You know, I have read all these reply's to you posts and these people are right. Anybody who has to ask "is one shell stronger than the other" and has had as many crashes as you have shouldn't be flying anything, especially a quadcopter. You are a danger to people, what if someone was outside and in the line of fire of the house you hit. I would seriously rethink my choice in hobbies if I were you.

You're statement is given without you knowing anything about me or where I fly my quad--I l live on a 150 acre farm.  However there are many trees. I fly just for the pleasure of it.  Yes my first quad the P3 was crashed many times and I had a hell of a good time flying it.  I've had the P4 for over 2 yrs and I've had 2 crashes--1 was when the forward object avoidance failed ( which DJI determined and repaired my P4 with no charge) the other was just a week or so ago and it was my fault.  However you, without knowing any facts characterized me as irresponsible and dangerous.

It is you sir that is irresponsible for assuming the BS you  posted about my flying ability and the safety that I consider for others.   

You need to be demoted to buck private and not be allowed to post until YOU are responsible enough to post intelligently.
2018-6-20
Use props
Dan P4
lvl.3
United States

Geebax Posted at 2018-6-19 22:55

I still have the P3 and I can actually bend the arms and push it in some.  The P4 is made of a much harder plastic and has no give when it crashes making it somewhat brittle.

But thanks for you opinion and the reply.

Dan
2018-6-20
Use props
ATJ
lvl.4

Dan P4 Posted at 2018-6-20 09:05
I still have the P3 and I can actually bend the arms and push it in some.  The P4 is made of a much harder plastic and has no give when it crashes making it somewhat brittle.

But thanks for you opinion and the reply.

Anyway to answer you question Dan P4 - Phantom 3 Std's shell much stronger than P4?

The shells on the the P3 and the P4 are essentually the same.
The difference between the two body's is the P4 has a magnesium core and the P3 has a plastic core.

Sometimes honestsy ain't the best policy
2018-6-20
Use props
Dan P4
lvl.3
United States

ATJ Posted at 2018-6-20 11:17
Anyway to answer you question Dan P4 - Phantom 3 Std's shell much stronger than P4?

The shells on the the P3 and the P4 are essentually the same.

Well I was expecting an apology from you for posting all that incorrect info you posted about me, I guess you don't care about setting things straight.  But never mind I can see you don't even know that the P3 and P4 are made from 2 different grades of material.  Again you speak without knowing the facts.

the material used on the P3 is softer than the material used on the P4 making the P4 shell more brittle because there is no give to it as the P3 has.
2018-6-20
Use props
ATJ
lvl.4

Dan P4 Posted at 2018-6-20 11:25
Well I was expecting an apology from you for posting all that incorrect info you posted about me, I guess you don't care about setting things straight.  But never mind I can see you don't even know that the P3 and P4 are made from 2 different grades of material.  Again you speak without knowing the facts.

the material used on the P3 is softer than the material used on the P4 making the P4 shell more brittle because there is no give to it as the P3 has.

The rigidity (I guess you call it brittle) is in the skeleton of the quadcopter, hence the P3 has a plastic skeleton and the P4 has a metal skeleton.

I'm Sorry are the two most self-serving words in the English Language
2018-6-20
Use props
Dan P4
lvl.3
United States

djiuser_L9vxf2T4IUoh Posted at 2018-6-20 14:10
yes, Phantom 3 Std's shell much stronger than P4 because its specification is more advanced and it has some extra features visit Microsoft Office Support if you want to know more about the Phantom 3 Std's

THANKS for the reply!

Dan
2018-6-22
Use props
Dan P4
lvl.3
United States

djiuser_L9vxf2T4IUoh Posted at 2018-6-20 14:10
yes, Phantom 3 Std's shell much stronger than P4 because its specification is more advanced and it has some extra features visit Microsoft Office Support if you want to know more about the Phantom 3 Std's

Is Microsoft involved with these drones?
2018-6-22
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Dan P4 Posted at 2018-6-22 11:32

I can see you don't even know that the P3 and P4 are made from 2 different grades of material.  Again you speak without knowing the facts.

It would seem that you already have all the facts so why do you ask?

Of course they are, DJI is run by Microsoft.
Go to Microsoft and ask them, (and don't come back).

2018-6-22
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
United States

Microsoft for P4......Microhard for P3 evidently.
2018-6-22
Use props
ATJ
lvl.4

ALABAMA Posted at 2018-6-22 14:19
Microsoft for P4......Microhard for P3 evidently.

DJI And Microsoft Partner To Bring Advanced Drone Technology To The Enterprise

https://www.dji.com/newsroom/new ... y-to-the-enterprise
2018-6-22
Use props
KedDK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

Dan P4 Posted at 2018-6-22 11:32

That was a spam post just in case you have not figured that out yet ... Ignore all it said and don't click any links!
2018-6-23
Use props
Dan P4
lvl.3
United States

Labroides Posted at 2018-6-22 13:48
I can see you don't even know that the P3 and P4 are made from 2 different grades of material.  Again you speak without knowing the facts.

the material used on the P3 is softer than the material used on the P4 making the P4 shell more brittle because there is no give to it as the P3 has.

I was asking for opinions dim wit.  Pay attention.
2018-6-23
Use props
ATJ
lvl.4

Dan P4 Posted at 2018-6-23 09:03

I think there is only one dim wit around here.
2018-6-23
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>

Dan P4 Posted at 2018-6-22 11:28
THANKS for the reply!

Dan

That was a spam message trying to link you to whatever they were trying to sell.

I believe the answer to your query was given in post number 9. Although some might disagree as there were a multitude of reports where P3 shells suffered random fractures to their shells.
2018-6-23
Use props
Dan P4
lvl.3
United States

ATJ Posted at 2018-6-23 10:05
I think there is only one dim wit around here.

OK, give up---just let go ok...
2018-6-23
Use props
Dan P4
lvl.3
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2018-6-23 10:54
That was a spam message trying to link you to whatever they were trying to sell.

I believe the answer to your query was given in post number 9. Although some might disagree as there were a multitude of reports where P3 shells suffered random fractures to their shells.

Thanks for your opinion Aardvark!
2018-6-23
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Dan P4 Posted at 2018-6-23 09:03

Correction ... you were trolling.
You haven't been at all concerned about anyone's opinions or answers to your question except for the opportunity to sneer at them.
All you've done is to show how you're a complete tosser.
2018-6-23
Use props
Eric13
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>

Labroides Posted at 2018-6-23 13:08
Correction ... you were trolling.
You haven't been at all concerned about anyone's opinions or answers to your question except for the opportunity to sneer at them.
All you've done is to show how you're a complete tosser.

The OP is definitly an unhappy and frustrated person. His aggressive responses can't be interpreted otherwise.

P3S v P4P:
The P3S is a workhorse that takes a lot. It was my learning drone and I did with friends lots of indoor target flying fun resulting in a lot of crashes.
This drone never got tired of it. Wouldn't do it with my P4P.

I think (and that would somehow confirm the OPs theory): The P3S has a softer shell/body = less vulnerable.
The more sophisticated P4s are stiffer/harder in order to not warp during flight? = more accuracy/stability.
Kind of what was said in post # 24 regarding the core of the drone.

But again : Just theories....

2018-6-23
Use props
Hellsgate
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

Dan P4 abusing people like this in here is not going to get you anywhere except banned from the forum i suggest you calm down and talk to people with respect not insults.
My first comment in this thread was said in jest yet you reply with abuse.
If you want to keep up this abusive attitude towards people who have many years of experience certainly alot more than you or me i think that you are going to find yourself at the wrong end of the argument.
Treat others as you wish to be treated.
Im done with you and i think many others are as well so good luck with your next crash
2018-6-23
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules