Mavic Air & Birds
813 5 2018-6-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
j0nGray
lvl.3
Flight distance : 60138 ft
United Kingdom

With the weather being relatively OK here in the U.K my Father-in-law wanted to get me out on the water to take some shots of his boat. I knew this day was coming and frankly I was more apprehensive than excited about it.

Weeks of extensive reading and watching videos on best how to launch, land and fly over water from a boat I went in with a lot of knowledge before my maiden flight over water from a boat. However, what I didn't account for were birds!!!!

So 2 weeks ago we get out onto the boat in the middle of The Solent, no boats around, calm water....perfect! I launched the Mavic Air by hand no problem. Then literally with a few seconds of being about 20 meters a near miss occurs with a Seagull, the bird flew directly above the Mavic Air and must have been within inches. Close call!!! Heart pounding! The rest of the flight went OK.

Images and video from that flight can be seen here on my Instagram.

With only the near miss, I brushed that off and felt confident in being able to fly it again from the boat. We headed out again yesterday to capture some more, this time with the idea of recording while the boat was moving!

We got out onto the stretch of water just outside the marina so I launched it by hand whilst moving, again everything great quite happily following the boat. I'd probably say no more than 5 / 10 meters high Then yup! Bird attack!

Two black / white looking birds out of nowhere fly straight into the Mavic Air clipping the top, Feathers go all over the place. I could hear the impact from the boat, the drone obviously dropped from it's position and wobbled  but thankfully recovered and regained height pretty much instantly. The situation happened so quickly that I couldn't have increased my height that quickly.

Immediately I wanted to get the drone back on board ASAP. I got it back on board , which was pretty hard trying to control it and catch it! Naturally, I checked for any damage and luckily no damage what so ever to the drone. The experience probably damaged my health in some way along with my confidence flying from the boat has now been knocked massively and I'm extremely worried about flying it around water where are likely to be birds, which is pretty much everywhere.

I guess there isn't really much that can be done when it comes to bird attacks? apart from assess the area before taking off. As mentioned in both situations I did this and no birds were to be seen from my perspective, I guess it's just down to what straw you pull on the day.

2018-6-11
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 39244380 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

Birds are curious and they fly near unknown objects for a year of flying I have only one suspected crash with a bird https://forum.dji.com/thread-152000-1-1.html and hundreds of circling around - so at best You can pray   and hope for the best
Good luck
2018-6-11
Use props
Free2be
lvl.3
Flight distance : 229570 ft
Belgium

Birds and ariplanes, a pain in the ass..allways everywhere.
2018-6-11
Use props
j0nGray
lvl.3
Flight distance : 60138 ft
United Kingdom

alex_markov Posted at 2018-6-11 01:25
Birds are curious and they fly near unknown objects for a year of flying I have only one suspected crash with a bird https://forum.dji.com/thread-152000-1-1.html and hundreds of circling around - so at best You can pray   and hope for the best
Good luck

Watching your video on your thread I'd definitely say it was a bird strike on yours, the way the gimbal moves is exactly the same as what happened with mine. I'll try and put the clip up of mine later on.
2018-6-11
Use props
CemAygun
lvl.4
Flight distance : 810 ft
Turkey

I currently reside in an area with a lot of crows, seagulls and feral geese (which I am afraid of personally, they can be vicious) , yet so far they all seem to be very indifferent to my MA. I had swallows circling the drone couple of times (probably out of curiosity) and I bolted immediately, as I didn't want to cause any injury to the little guys.

With that being said, MA scares the living daylights out of people here, as this is a serious beekeeping region. Everybody thinks it is a swarm until they spot the drone

PS:Before anyone flames me, I don't fly over people, I fly over marshlands or forests. But I take off from and land back to areas where people might be near by...

2018-6-11
Use props
Sickocell
lvl.3
Flight distance : 347766 ft

This happened yesterday during my first flight, birds pops in the video around 40 seconds. Not sure if it was just curious or angry!

2018-6-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules