Ronin-S & Sony compatibility
12Next >
31164 55 2018-6-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_mPQ0H6ZNdHLX
lvl.1

I'm finding it hard to believe that Sony isn't 100% compatible with the new Ronin-S seeing as Sony is kind of leading the game in videography.

Is there a future where the pull focus will work with Sony cameras? Because if not, I don't know if I want to spend the $700 just for the gimbal to half work with my camera
2018-6-11
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Here is the compatible list of Ronin-S and Sony, we will keep testing more cameras and lens to update our compatible list. Pull focus is not available for Sony series camera at the moment, please note our website about the future release. GTScreenshot_20180612_125519.png
2018-6-11
Use props
labregatv
lvl.2
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-6-11 21:00
Here is the compatible list of Ronin-S and Sony, we will keep testing more cameras and lens to update our compatible list. Pull focus is not available for Sony series camera at the moment, please note our website about the future release.[view_image]

Hi, Mindy. I'm on the same boat here with regards to the Sony A7 III. I would appreciate if DJI could have a more substantial answer than "we will keep testing". Are you actively working on focus (and iris?) control for Sony cameras? What's the hold up right now? Is it Sony? Is it manpower? Basically, we need confirmation from DJI as to whether support will come in the near future. I know we can't expect a specific date but confirmation will help us plan our gear investments with DJI a lot more efficiently. I already purchased my Ronin-S and I'm ready to commit to the complete eco-system as accessories become available. An understanding of DJI's direction will help solidify this commitment. Thank you
2018-6-12
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

labregatv Posted at 2018-6-12 07:08
Hi, Mindy. I'm on the same boat here with regards to the Sony A7 III. I would appreciate if DJI could have a more substantial answer than "we will keep testing". Are you actively working on focus (and iris?) control for Sony cameras? What's the hold up right now? Is it Sony? Is it manpower? Basically, we need confirmation from DJI as to whether support will come in the near future. I know we can't expect a specific date but confirmation will help us plan our gear investments with DJI a lot more efficiently. I already purchased my Ronin-S and I'm ready to commit to the complete eco-system as accessories become available. An understanding of DJI's direction will help solidify this commitment. Thank you

I fully understand your concern, the truth is our engineers are still developing it, I don't have any news if this function will be available in the future, but I will keep you updated once I get a positive answer from them, sorry for the inconvenience.
2018-6-13
Use props
zhovisuals
lvl.1

I heard that Sony didn't sign with DJI on this product, does anyone know if that is that true? Because if that's the case then I highly doubt Sony will be fully compatible, period.
2018-6-13
Use props
hjavaher
lvl.1
Flight distance : 324783 ft

zhovisuals Posted at 2018-6-13 09:31
I heard that Sony didn't sign with DJI on this product, does anyone know if that is that true? Because if that's the case then I highly doubt Sony will be fully compatible, period.

That might be the case as DJI is a big company that doesn't want to get sued. As for the engineering part of it, I can't be that difficult as there are a bunch of 3rd party Chinese remotes and a open source qDSLRdashboard which uses an app to control all aspects of my Sony A7Riii
2018-6-20
Use props
Spook
lvl.1
Czechia

Wow. And they spam the compatibility advertisement everywhere.
So sonyA7 series won't support even the app features?
Have to cancel the preorder now
2018-7-10
Use props
fansc22e5336
lvl.2

Norway

When i ordered the ronin the a7r iii was supported. the ronin s have arrieved and the suddently i get the message that it is only ir connection. the ir connection is to unstable on the a7rIII. only works sometimes. will this be fixed ?
2018-7-10
Use props
djiuser_u1fioz8UrNqU
lvl.3
United States

fansc22e5336 Posted at 2018-7-10 15:06
When i ordered the ronin the a7r iii was supported. the ronin s have arrieved and the suddently i get the message that it is only ir connection. the ir connection is to unstable on the a7rIII. only works sometimes. will this be fixed ?

Did you upgrade the firmware to 1.2.0.10?  When I did this the Ronin-S is pretty stable with my a7rIII, using the IR cable. Mount it stably about an inch away pointing at the camera IR sensor.
2018-7-10
Use props
AceReturns
lvl.1

United States

The Zhiyun Gimbals have been able to start/stop recording over USB with Sony DSLMs for a while now, but they haven't cracked the focus control problem. YouTuber Jason Vong contacted them to ask if they were going to enable it with a future firmware upgrade, to which they responded, "no". Apparently, Sony does not make their motorized focusing protocols open to developers. Shortly after, Zhiyun came out with an external follow-focus to solve this problem instead. With this in mind, I highly doubt DJI will be able to succeed where Zhiyun failed and solve the unsolvable problem of Sony's focus protocols. However, I see NO REASON why DJI can't do what Zhiyun has already done and enable start/stop recording AND CHARGING over USB. That last one is crucial. Right now, the USB cables on the Ronin-S do not charge my A7III. I tried both the Micro-USB and the USB-C versions. The little charging light on the camera does not turn on. Instead, the camera goes into USB mode and the gimbal shuts down. In an ideal world, I would be able to charge my Ronin-S at night while the Ronin-S charges the camera--or even keep a battery bank in my pocket with a wire going to the Ronin-S and film continuously without worrying about either device's battery ever running out. Yes, enabling the focus wheel would be nice, but - bearing in mind that any usb-based follow focus is going to be jerky and imprecise - I think it would behoove DJI to focus on a much more important feature that no one seems to be talking about: give us the ability to charge our cameras over USB! The ideal world could be just a firmware update away.
2018-7-11
Use props
petrenko
lvl.1
Switzerland

Let's call it "DJI Ronin S disappointment thread (official)"

Really it is borderline ethical (in some least ethical places of this world) to tell about compatibility with camera and then put a lot of stars after.

Yes, sure A7 series compatible *

* only shutter works
* only through IR cable
* which is extremely unreliable

Compatible with huge list of lenses*

* don't expect focus pull
* don't expect anything, basically
* we just guarantee that lens will not explode

I'm not sure why you spend time "Improving IR reliability", while it is a feature which will never be used as soon as there is USB solution?
2018-7-12
Use props
djiuser_Sc8Bq0n1fXw7
New
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-6-13 04:02
I fully understand your concern, the truth is our engineers are still developing it, I don't have any news if this function will be available in the future, but I will keep you updated once I get a positive answer from them, sorry for the inconvenience.

This is false advertising:

Not an engineering problem.
2018-7-14
Use props
jasonbird
New

Malaysia

petrenko Posted at 2018-7-12 02:48

Really it is borderline ethical (in some least ethical places of this world) to tell about compatibility with camera and then put a lot of stars after.

TOTALLY AGREED!

may I know when DJI will update on this focus pull issue......sigh...
it's been months since last update.
2018-8-27
Use props
Francisco9
lvl.1
Spain

I join the request for a decent update for the sony`s
2018-8-27
Use props
RichfromHowellNJ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 508255 ft
  • >>>
United States

petrenko Posted at 2018-7-12 02:48

I really dislike using the IR Cable with my Sony A7r III.  Kind if disappointed with this solution DJI took.
2018-8-27
Use props
cloudywolf2288
lvl.1

United States

So I am debating on buying a Ronin S for my A7rIII... But I am not hearing any good news for these combinations... is Ronin S really garbage if you have a SONY a7rIII? Should I buy something else?
2018-8-29
Use props
cloudywolf2288
lvl.1

United States

I am on the same boat as you... I dont want to spend 700 on something that barely works... this is a very disappointing thing.
2018-8-29
Use props
Surface2Air
lvl.4
Flight distance : 167441 ft

I’m sure  the multi-cable will be available soon allowing USB shutter control & focus wheel functionality on various Sony Cameras.
2018-8-29
Use props
Repulse
lvl.2
Flight distance : 68501 ft
United States

I just used the Ronin-S this past weekend with my A7III. Even though I can not use the USB cable and did not want to use the IR cable, I did not find it much of a hassle by just pushing the shutter button or the record button on the camera itself. Sure the USB cable will be more convenient but I still got the footage I wanted. For now, I am still going to use it without the USB or IR cable.
2018-8-29
Use props
Haris Audio
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Any idea when will ronin s be fully compatible with Sony A7 Mindy?
2018-9-8
Use props
Ben Seide
New

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-6-13 04:02

This is seriously the dumbest answer ever you promote cameras to work and they don’t .. you should refine me and pay for the pain and suffering you screwed my gig
http://Boo
2018-9-14
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Ben Seide Posted at 2018-9-14 15:05
This is seriously the dumbest answer ever you promote cameras to work and they don’t .. you should refine me and pay for the pain and suffering you screwed my gig
Boo

Hi Ben, Sony cameras are compatible with Ronin-S via RSS-IR cable, it is just some features are not available at the moment, our engineers are working very hard to developing USB shutter control and more features, and a month ago, we have invited a total of 50 users to test the beta firmware and Multi cable, appreciate your patience for the future update, sorry for the inconvenience caused currently.
2018-9-17
Use props
Lawless116
lvl.4
Flight distance : 968209 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-9-17 03:06
Hi Ben, Sony cameras are compatible with Ronin-S via RSS-IR cable, it is just some features are not available at the moment, our engineers are working very hard to developing USB shutter control and more features, and a month ago, we have invited a total of 50 users to test the beta firmware and Multi cable, appreciate your patience for the future update, sorry for the inconvenience caused currently.

So it is for sure coming in the near future? I bought mine and just assumed since sony cameras were clearly used in the promos showing USB cable working that it would be fully supported. If not, i don't really want a fancy $700 tripod.
2018-9-18
Use props
fans5278fc59
New
Flight distance : 332257 ft
Colombia

so I bought my ronin, but it was sad since the focus does not work with the a7sII and I hope that you said some update for that. but in general I liked the product
2018-9-18
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Lawless116 Posted at 2018-9-18 12:18
So it is for sure coming in the near future? I bought mine and just assumed since sony cameras were clearly used in the promos showing USB cable working that it would be fully supported. If not, i don't really want a fancy $700 tripod.

Yes, our engineers are developing the USB shutter control, please note our website about the future update. Thanks for your support to DJI. GTScreenshot_20180919_122459.png
2018-9-18
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

fans5278fc59 Posted at 2018-9-18 17:34
so I bought my ronin, but it was sad since the focus does not work with the a7sII and I hope that you said some update for that. but in general I liked the product

Appreciate your support to DJI, our engineers are working on developing more features, we will also release Focus Motor Lite in the future, thanks for your patience.
2018-9-18
Use props
Sapphire Creative
New
Flight distance : 6562 ft
Canada

any news on sony cameras working with ronin s  ? specifically focus pull dial? have been using ronin s since we got the preorder.. love everything about it except the fact that sony doesn't work with it ... besides the fact i can hit record with the IR ... anywho love my dji product but realllyyyyyyyyyyyy hope they can get the sony working ..
2018-9-19
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Sapphire Creative Posted at 2018-9-19 06:28
any news on sony cameras working with ronin s  ? specifically focus pull dial? have been using ronin s since we got the preorder.. love everything about it except the fact that sony doesn't work with it ... besides the fact i can hit record with the IR ... anywho love my dji product but realllyyyyyyyyyyyy hope they can get the sony working ..

Hi there, Ronin-S connects to Sony cameras via the RSS-IR, currently, only Start/stop recording and Capture photo are available via Ronin-S, we are developing USB shutter control and more features, please note our website about the future update, thanks for your attention.
2018-9-19
Use props
fans265f88af
lvl.2

United Kingdom

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-9-19 22:40
Hi there, Ronin-S connects to Sony cameras via the RSS-IR, currently, only Start/stop recording and Capture photo are available via Ronin-S, we are developing USB shutter control and more features, please note our website about the future update, thanks for your attention.

Looks like a new firmware was just released and also an updated compatibility list was uploaded today. It shows Sony support, yet after updating my A7S2 does not work with the cable it shipped with. If i'm reading it right Sony users now need a new MCC cable, as it's listed as optional, not in the the box. Where would we get these from, anyone know? DJI do not have them listed as an accessory.
2018-9-20
Use props
Lawless116
lvl.4
Flight distance : 968209 ft
  • >>>
United States

so $35 for a cable after shipping to get functionality we were promised and advertised???
2018-9-20
Use props
jayge
lvl.1

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-9-19 22:40
Hi there, Ronin-S connects to Sony cameras via the RSS-IR, currently, only Start/stop recording and Capture photo are available via Ronin-S, we are developing USB shutter control and more features, please note our website about the future update, thanks for your attention.

Hello Mindy,

While the new Sony MCC-Multi Updates (09.20.18) are appreciated, I am still left wondering when (if ever) the Ronin-S will allow electronic pull focus (via the focus wheel) to Sony users, as it does to Canon, Panasonic, and Nikon?

2018-9-20
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

jayge Posted at 2018-9-20 12:29
Hello Mindy,

While the new Sony MCC-Multi Updates (09.20.18) are appreciated, I am still left wondering when (if ever) the Ronin-S will allow electronic pull focus (via the focus wheel) to Sony users, as it does to Canon, Panasonic, and Nikon?

Hi Jayge, sorry that we do not have an estimated release date currently regarding this, please note the future update, thank you.
2018-9-21
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

fans265f88af Posted at 2018-9-20 05:18
[view_image]

Looks like a new firmware was just released and also an updated compatibility list was uploaded today. It shows Sony support, yet after updating my A7S2 does not work with the cable it shipped with. If i'm reading it right Sony users now need a new MCC cable, as it's listed as optional, not in the the box. Where would we get these from, anyone know? DJI do not have them listed as an accessory.

Hi there, yes, the new-released firmware supports Sony via the USB shutter control, but you will need to purchase the corresponding cable, please check more details here: https://store.dji.com/category/r ... ?from=menu_products
2018-9-21
Use props
Info
lvl.2
Flight distance : 930079 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-9-21 05:32
Hi there, yes, the new-released firmware supports Sony via the USB shutter control, but you will need to purchase the corresponding cable, please check more details here: https://store.dji.com/category/ronin-s-and-accessories?from=menu_products

Hi @DJI Mindy,

My Ronin S arrived today direct from DJI and it has three cables with it.
MCC-C
MCC-B
RSS-IR

Both the MCC-B and MCC-C will physically connect from the Ronin S to the A7III but non will allow the control as stated in the update from yesterday.

As per your message above, does that mean I now need to purchase another cable to get control of the camera?
Why would it not ship with the cable considering I only just bought it?
How is this new cable any different to the two I already have, they make use of both the available connections to the camera?

Thanks,

Sam
2018-9-21
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Info@dgtlconcepts.co.uk Posted at 2018-9-21 06:16
Hi @DJI Mindy,

My Ronin S arrived today direct from DJI and it has three cables with it.

Hi Sam, sorry for the inconvenience caused, the latest firmware was just released on 20th, Sept, the Sony cameras didn't support cable control before. We just released the MCC-Multi and it will need to purchase separately, please refer to the link I posted in 33#, thank you. But the RSS-IR is available all the time, you can use it to start/stop recording video and capture photo. Please check more details here: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... ility_List_0920.pdf
2018-9-25
Use props
fans29f5b38c
lvl.1
Netherlands

any clue if you can zoom with the 18-105 lens ?
2018-9-26
Use props
Czhoume
New

jayge Posted at 2018-9-20 12:29
Hello Mindy,

Hi Jayge, I am very disappointed with ronin-s Sony compatibility. I want to find an alternative. Do you know if any other gimbal on the market supports Sony pull focus electronically?
2018-9-26
Use props
SceneAmatiX
lvl.1
Flight distance : 51654 ft
United States

Repulse Posted at 2018-8-29 13:42
I just used the Ronin-S this past weekend with my A7III. Even though I can not use the USB cable and did not want to use the IR cable, I did not find it much of a hassle by just pushing the shutter button or the record button on the camera itself. Sure the USB cable will be more convenient but I still got the footage I wanted. For now, I am still going to use it without the USB or IR cable.

I agree with Repulse...

It's not that much of a hassle to press the record button on the camera lol. I don't know why everyone is so upset. All of my lenses are manual cinema glass so I also don't care about the focus ability.
2018-9-27
Use props
fans205e9d3e
lvl.2
Netherlands

SceneAmatiX Posted at 2018-9-27 07:49
I agree with Repulse...

It's not that much of a hassle to press the record button on the camera lol. I don't know why everyone is so upset. All of my lenses are manual cinema glass so I also don't care about the focus ability.

Actually the most important part what i like to use that frigg'n MCC cable for is to charge my camera. Most Sony A6 users know is how quick the batt drains. So thats the most important aspect for me.
2018-9-27
Use props
Roland Schulz
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2166962 ft
  • >>>
Germany

DJI Mindy - from the compatibility chart I learn that Sony a7M3 and a7RM3 still can‘t be focused with the focus wheel?! Why not, it is implemented in the Sony protocol and possible with the Sony Imaging Edge Remote software.
When will this be released?
2018-9-29
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules