5910 33 2018-6-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_CcVVHYyQeCKd
lvl.2
Flight distance : 261243 ft
Poland

Hello,
I have DJI Mavic Pro, and a lot of problems with it.
I made video to show what's wrong:

1. Gimbal yaw When I am flying, changing directions and after that I want to hover still to take photo or do still capture, gimbal is yawing, and sometimes it takes one minute to gimbal stop moving.
2. Gimbal roll when flying sideways When I am flying sideways, view is inclined, and when I stop and hover, gimbal is straightening view.
3. Gimbal stop when moving it. When I am moving gimbal it sometimes stop for very little time and go on.

I told about that Support, but they state that everything is good and they don't see any problems.
But for me this how my drone works was unacceptable, so I sent it for repair.
In repair service they said: "Warranty, no crash, no liquid damage. Gimbal goes crazy issue, Gimbal control board need to be replaced."
I received not my repaired drone but "new" one.
Unfortunately with some more problems:
1. Still - yaw drift problem
2. Tilt when flying forward - I'm only moving right joystick up - It should fly forward without any tilting on sides!
3. Yaw drift + flying forward - Catastrophe - I can't fly where I want or record what I want because drone is turning left or right.

I made video of this situations:

Tell me, is anybody here who don't have yaw drift problem in Mavic Pro, and other problems I have?
I'm really surprised that after 1,5 year from Mavic Pro premiere support still can't help users with yaw drift, and horizon tilt problems.
When I put in YouTube these phrases, there is a lot of people with this problems...

What are your experiences?
I'm very dissapointed because drone was my dream but now I have headache because of it and fighting with support which don't see a problem...
2018-6-11
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

Have you tried an IMU calibrate, an RC calibrate.
2018-6-11
Use props
SparksBird
First Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

Since you received a new one here is what you should do.  Refresh/upgrade the firmware on the RC and AC using DJI Assistant plugged into PC/MAC.
2. Calibrate your RC/IMU/Gimbal/VPS/ then Compass out in open field.  See if this does anything for you.
2018-6-11
Use props
djiuser_CcVVHYyQeCKd
lvl.2
Poland

Thanks for your advices, but I tried these all calibrations (IMU, compass, gimball, RC) and everything is up-to-date,
calibrations tried few times but without changes after that...
2018-6-11
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

As for the gimbal yaw "drift" issue, after confirming with the engineers, since it is related to aircraft's compass, gimbal, IMU and RC's sticks input, any drift might lead to this. It is suggested to calibrate the compass and IMU and restart the drone.
For the tilt issue during flight, I would also like to confirm with the engineers. Will come back to you if I hear from them.
2018-6-15
Use props
MrArcher
lvl.4
Flight distance : 401706 ft
United States

I also see the gimble yaw drift on my MPP.  I've done umpteen recalibrations, uninstalls and reinstalls, and nothing helped. Irritating for sure, but not being a photographer, especially a commercial pilot, it's not affecting the pocketbook, but disappointing nonetheless.
2018-6-15
Use props
djiuser_CcVVHYyQeCKd
lvl.2
Poland

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-6-15 01:52
As for the gimbal yaw "drift" issue, after confirming with the engineers, since it is related to aircraft's compass, gimbal, IMU and RC's sticks input, any drift might lead to this. It is suggested to calibrate the compass and IMU and restart the drone.
For the tilt issue during flight, I would also like to confirm with the engineers. Will come back to you if I hear from them.

As I said, in both Mavics I did all calibrations many times, but nothing helps.
When I was looking on internet for solution to my problems I realised that
there is a lot of people with gimbal yaw drift, and horizon tilt issues,
sadly to say, nobody found a solution
You can calibrate IMU, compass, gimbal, RC milion times, but problem is still the same...
I think it is a design flaw of gimbal in Mavic Pro.
If DJI is replacing my aircraft because of gimbal yaw drift,
with aircraft with the same or worse malfunctions, and I'm not first one,
that something's going on...
It's sad that it is a lottery if I will get third replaced drone with properly working gimbal or not
It's too common problem to marginalize, it should be investigated deeply by DJI, but new Mavic Pro is coming so I think nobody will waste time for old drones users...
2018-6-15
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Yaw drift seems to be extremely common, i get it, all other owners i know in person get it.  Looking at youtube videos you can see it as well.
Drones and controls are calibrated in all cases, winds are light.  I think its a common "error" or tolerance issue in which case, its not going away.
2018-6-15
Use props
djiuser_CcVVHYyQeCKd
lvl.2
Poland

gnirtS Posted at 2018-6-15 06:38
Yaw drift seems to be extremely common, i get it, all other owners i know in person get it.  Looking at youtube videos you can see it as well.
Drones and controls are calibrated in all cases, winds are light.  I think its a common "error" or tolerance issue in which case, its not going away.

Situation that yaw drift is extremely common is all the more shouldn't be accepted by a customers.
Seriosly, how to catch a good capture when without touching controller sticks camera/drone is rotating, how to do a nice video when you want fly forward, but your drone have yaw drift, it looks like you are not flying straight but turning left or right...
2018-6-15
Use props
LeafPeeper
lvl.4
Flight distance : 450075 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've now had 3 different Mavics and they've all done it.  Some days it's worse than others, worse in wind, depends on heading, etc.   Sometimes if I intentionally rotate one way, it will then drift the other, but if I go in the direction of the drift then stop, the drift stops.   I've just decided it's the nature of the Mavic.  I'm still willing to bet you that if you give me ANY Mavic, even one of the ones owned by people claiming theirs doesn't do it, and I would see it happen.

And the build dates on the 3 that I've had were April 2017, August 2017 and April 2018 - so I'm confident that build date doesn't matter.  I'm also very picky about my calibrations - everything, all done on perfectly level surfaces.

LP
2018-6-15
Use props
SpinItUp
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3812493 ft

MP
Mine is rock solid
2018-6-15
Use props
seanie2322
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2356873 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Ive noticed this as well, especially when shooting video. I had to straighten some of my shots in post production. If i notice it very bad on screen i manually adjust the roll on the gimbal but we should not have to do this every time we fly. All calibrations done and running latest firmware on MP
2018-6-15
Use props
djiuser_weCIdLqvN87q
lvl.1
Flight distance : 310367 ft
United Kingdom

Hi My Mavic as started to drift to the right and seems to be getting worse I was hoping to find out on here what the problem was.
2018-6-17
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I had this on some flights - I found the MP/P to be quite sensitive to gusts of wind and the prop tips on the 8331's are quite fragile. Change the props and lower the altitude/fly on calmer days and the drift stops.
2018-6-17
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

A lot of the drift is nothing to do with wind.  It happens in wind of all speed and relative directions and is always in the same direction regardless of the orientation of the drone relative to it.
It also does it on brand new props.
2018-6-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I was one of the original Mavic Pro owners, Mavic Pro has been dogged with this problem from the outset. And calibration has at times fixed the problem only to return, I believe it’s a Gimbal design problem, and I don’t believe we will ever see a fix for it.
2018-6-17
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

gnirtS Posted at 2018-6-17 13:37
A lot of the drift is nothing to do with wind.  It happens in wind of all speed and relative directions and is always in the same direction regardless of the orientation of the drone relative to it.
It also does it on brand new props.

Mine never did that - sounds like you have a defective drone then.
2018-6-17
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

I am going to check this next time out. I haven't noticed it but then again haven't actually tested it as my stills and video have been fine, other than a jello issue when I first got it (ND filters fixed that / added weight to the gimbal). I have done some timelapses with the MP 350-400 stills with virtually no movement of the drone or gimbal.
2018-6-17
Use props
M
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1082362 ft
Poland

Hi Guys ,
I'm new owner of mavic pro. And I have exatly the same issue with Yaw drifft. I changed my P3A to mavic one week ago and after few test flights I realised that my  drone is driffiting to left or right depends on which direction it's oriented. Also when you are moving forward mavic is driffting and you have to correct manually path flight -it's totally not acceptable in drone for so much $$$

For sure this is not wind reason . I recalibrated everything few times nothing hellped.

On My P3A all is fine no drifting at all.

DJI we are waiting for you offcial answer what you plan to do with this ? Sending drone to service and get new mavic with the same problems or even more problems? this is your solution to the problem ?

Best Regards,
Marcin
2018-6-18
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

djiuser_CcVVHYyQeCKd Posted at 2018-6-15 06:12
As I said, in both Mavics I did all calibrations many times, but nothing helps.
When I was looking on internet for solution to my problems I realised that
there is a lot of people with gimbal yaw drift, and horizon tilt issues,

Sorry for the late update. As for the Yaw drift, according to the video, it happens when the drone was panning then suddenly stopped, it might because of the inertia of the movement.
Besides, please also note that if the wind might also affect the performance, check if the wind speed is high, try to test in a relative peaceful weather. Please also ensure that the gimbal plate is sat in the right place, you can refer to the tutorial below.
If it is possible, please kindly sync your flight records and provide me with your DJI account, tell us the date and time of this flight, we would like to check the exact flight, too.
2018-6-20
Use props
djiuser_CcVVHYyQeCKd
lvl.2
Poland

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-6-20 21:32
Sorry for the late update. As for the Yaw drift, according to the video, it happens when the drone was panning then suddenly stopped, it might because of the inertia of the movement.
Besides, please also note that if the wind might also affect the performance, check if the wind speed is high, try to test in a relative peaceful weather. Please also ensure that the gimbal plate is sat in the right place, you can refer to the tutorial below.
If it is possible, please kindly sync your flight records and provide me with your DJI account, tell us the date and time of this flight, we would like to check the exact flight, too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnXekYjEJA8&list=PL8-vxWY64sBNLusG0MvxD4Dm-tX4cnvzX&index=23&t=1s

Hello Thor, thank you for your engagement in looking for solution,  I appreciate your help.
1.  It could be inertia of the movement if gimbal would move in the same direction as panning direction, but in all cases we are talking about here, the gimbal yaw drift is in opposite direction to panning before - to make it clear: Aircraft pan to the right, gimbal yaw drift to the left.

2. Wind - okay, if gimbal drift yaw would occur sometimes, I could believe that wind is the problem, but all people talking in this topic, have problem with gimbal drift yaw in Mavic Pro regardless to weather conditions. Gimbal drift yaw is also easy to see when aircraft is indoor and you put it turned on for example on the floor, take it up, rotate, and put on the floor.

3. Of course I can provide you DJI account, how to do that, by PM?

Update of my situation:
I sent back second replaced Mavic Pro to DJI service center in Netherlands.
They checked it and told me that: "warranty. gimbal & camera module defect."
Today I received "new" aircraft... Third one, and...

Every time when aircraft is turning on and gimbal is calibrating I get Gimbal overload error.
God damn, third brand new broken Mavic Pro? I wait for better weather to check it when flying, but errors in new aircraft before first fly are not good sign...

2018-6-21
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

djiuser_CcVVHYyQeCKd Posted at 2018-6-21 08:57
Hello Thor, thank you for your engagement in looking for solution,  I appreciate your help.
1.  It could be inertia of the movement if gimbal would move in the same direction as panning direction, but in all cases we are talking about here, the gimbal yaw drift is in opposite direction to panning before - to make it clear: Aircraft pan to the right, gimbal yaw drift to the left.

I am sorry for this situation, please also check for the gimbal anti-drop hooks and see if it came out of the plate.
Besides, could you please provide me with your case numbers? It the gimbal issue is not resolved, I will help to escalate your case to the supervisor department.
As for the flight record, you can PM me your account, thanks.
2018-6-23
Use props
Mavdude
lvl.4
Australia

Nothing new, if your mavic doesn't drift, you have a defective drone!
https://forum.dji.com/thread-124081-1-1.html
2018-6-23
Use props
djiuser_CcVVHYyQeCKd
lvl.2
Poland

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-6-23 01:51
I am sorry for this situation, please also check for the gimbal anti-drop hooks and see if it came out of the plate.
Besides, could you please provide me with your case numbers? It the gimbal issue is not resolved, I will help to escalate your case to the supervisor department.
As for the flight record, you can PM me your account, thanks.

Hey @DJI Thor, check PMs please
2018-6-26
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

djiuser_CcVVHYyQeCKd Posted at 2018-6-26 22:38

Sorry for the delay, I had replied the PM, please check. Thank you.
2018-6-27
Use props
MrC
lvl.2
Flight distance : 499833 ft
Denmark

djiuser_CcVVHYyQeCKd Posted at 2018-6-26 22:38

So, any update on the gimball overload etc ? And what with the drift...

- Almost 2 years later.......
2020-4-20
Use props
MrC
lvl.2
Flight distance : 499833 ft
Denmark

2020-4-30
Use props
Ace Shrestha
lvl.2
Flight distance : 180 ft
Nepal

hello,
i am new here.

I was searching about this topic since i also have the same problem.

sometimes it slowly yaws right and sometimes left without any input in rc.

I calibrated the rc, imu, gimbal, compass but nothing seems to work.

if i try to fly straight forward or backward, my MP also slightly moves left or right without any right or left input.

and i have another issue, when i yaw my MP right or left, the gimbal extremely tilts right or left.

the horizon is extremely tilted to left or right when i yaw left or right and when i stop the yaw, it slowly comes back to balance.

is it hardware problem or is this problem with the software??

hope someone can help me out.

Regards,
Ace
2020-9-29
Use props
Ace Shrestha
lvl.2
Nepal

i heard this somewhere.

"Dji on purpose is trying to create problems via Dji Go 4 app in their old models so that customers purchase new models of Dji drones, similar to what Apple did"

anyone think this is true?
2020-9-29
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Ace Shrestha Posted at 9-29 07:50
i heard this somewhere.

"Dji on purpose is trying to create problems via Dji Go 4 app in their old models so that customers purchase new models of Dji drones, similar to what Apple did"

That's not true, each update is in order to optimize the issues and add new features.
Sorry to read the trouble with the drone, does the issue happen in every place? Please do not calibrate your compass where there is a chance of strong magnetic interference, such as magnetite, parking structures, and steel reinforcements underground; do not carry ferromagnetic materials with you during calibration, such as keys or cellular phones.

For the gimbal issue, did you enable FPV mode? If yes, please try Follow mode.
2020-9-30
Use props
Ace Shrestha
lvl.2
Nepal

DJI Mindy Posted at 9-30 04:55
That's not true, each update is in order to optimize the issues and add new features.
Sorry to read the trouble with the drone, does the issue happen in every place? Please do not calibrate your compass where there is a chance of strong magnetic interference, such as magnetite, parking structures, and steel reinforcements underground; do not carry ferromagnetic materials with you during calibration, such as keys or cellular phones.

ok, may be what i heard is just a fake rumor.
Thank you for your response and clearing my doubt.

Yes i tried calibrating without keeping anything on me such as keys, smart watch and stuffs and i guess its fixed now.

Its like, the problem shows up sometimes and then its gone within the same flight.

I take off, the problem shows, after a while in the same flight without landing- the problem does not show, sometimes later it shows again, so just confused.
2020-9-30
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Ace Shrestha Posted at 9-30 20:08
ok, may be what i heard is just a fake rumor.
Thank you for your response and clearing my doubt.

Sorry for the late response, if the issue happens frequently and you are concerned about it, you may send back the drone for a flight test and evaluation.
2020-10-6
Use props
Ace Shrestha
lvl.2
Nepal

DJI Mindy Posted at 10-6 01:27
Sorry for the late response, if the issue happens frequently and you are concerned about it, you may send back the drone for a flight test and evaluation.

no worries.

I am not from US and i purchased my drone here at Nepal.
2020-10-6
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Ace Shrestha Posted at 10-6 20:23
no worries.

I am not from US and i purchased my drone here at Nepal.

Then please contact your reseller or DJI support support@dji.com for further assistance if necessary.
2020-10-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules