Galaxy S9 compass / controller interference
2097 21 2018-6-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
wildlifr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 637815 ft
United States

After trying to understand the features and benefits of using the radar display on the dji go4 app, I realised that the controller itself is causing severe interference with my S9 compass, which is where the app gets info. about pilot/controller orientation relative to the drone. So I thought I'd post this in case anyone's going crazy trying to figure out how to interpret the radar display and it doesn't seem to make sense. All of the other functions of the radar display are still useful, but determining your orientation relative to the drone won't work, which is the primary reason I wanted to use this display. Anyone can test this with their phone either by looking at the radar display, or by using a compass app and inserting the phone into the bracket on the controller. BTW, the controller doesn't need to be powered on to observe the interference.  Apparently some phones are better shielded than others.

2018-6-11
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

I am sorry that you are having issues in connecting your mobile device to your Mavic Air. I tried to check why you are having this issues and the result is we are having a mobile device compatibility issue. I check the Samsung Galaxy S9 if it is listed on the recommended mobile devices for Mavic Air. I am sorry to say that the Samsung Galaxy S9 is not yet a part of the recommended mobile device list. When using a non recommended mobile device the DJI Go 4 app will not work properly and can affect the functionality of the application and the drone. I will be posting the recommended mobile device list.

Rest assured I will be sending this issue to our DJI Engineers for further update on the list of recommended mobile device. Thank you.
2018-6-11
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

DJI Stephen Posted at 2018-6-11 09:28
I am sorry that you are having issues in connecting your mobile device to your Mavic Air. I tried to check why you are having this issues and the result is we are having a mobile device compatibility issue. I check the Samsung Galaxy S9 if it is listed on the recommended mobile devices for Mavic Air. I am sorry to say that the Samsung Galaxy S9 is not yet a part of the recommended mobile device list. When using a non recommended mobile device the DJI Go 4 app will not work properly and can affect the functionality of the application and the drone. I will be posting the recommended mobile device list.

[view_image]

Is it me or is that list getting smaller and smaller
2018-6-11
Use props
AlphaFlightNW
Second Officer
Flight distance : 784265 ft
  • >>>
United States

As an owner of a MA and S9, I have somewhat noticed it? Heres what I mean. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesnt. With the MA, my phones compass is rotated to a 270 heading relative to my drone, IE if the drone is north, the phone says its east. The radar function is something I rarely use since the map works just fine and tends to be more accurate on Pilot/phone orrientation than the radar. If it also helps, I have noticed it slightly on the Spark OTG but not as much. (As a side point, Spark OTG is a thing again on a phone not even on the list! ) I will try some more testing and get back to you by the end of the week.
2018-6-11
Use props
AlphaFlightNW
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Suren Posted at 2018-6-11 09:52
Is it me or is that list getting smaller and smaller

Yeah... it does seem that way.

(skeptics in spanish)
2018-6-11
Use props
wildlifr
lvl.4
United States

AlphaFlightNW Posted at 2018-6-11 11:16
As an owner of a MA and S9, I have somewhat noticed it? Heres what I mean. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesnt. With the MA, my phones compass is rotated to a 270 heading relative to my drone, IE if the drone is north, the phone says its east. The radar function is something I rarely use since the map works just fine and tends to be more accurate on Pilot/phone orrientation than the radar. If it also helps, I have noticed it slightly on the Spark OTG but not as much. (As a side point, Spark OTG is a thing again on a phone not even on the list! ) I will try some more testing and get back to you by the end of the week.

But if I'm not mistaken, the map won't tell you if you are pointed at the drone. It will tell you that the drone is some direction from you, but without a compass reading, you don't know which direction that is relative to yourself. You can get an idea from looking at the route on the map, but compare that to how easy it is to be perfectly aligned with the drone using radar view and a working compass. As long as the red arrow head (drone) is between you and the white triangle, then you know you're pointing directly at the drone, and therefore providing it with the strongest signal.
2018-6-11
Use props
DINGO DOWN UNDA
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3058816 ft
Australia

I had this problem with my Ipad mini 4. I turned the tablet around the other way and conpass worked fine.
2018-6-11
Use props
wildlifr
lvl.4
United States

DINGO DOWN UNDA Posted at 2018-6-11 12:09
I had this problem with my Ipad mini 4. I turned the tablet around the other way and conpass worked fine.

I tried that. The interference was reduced, but it was still quite a bit off.
2018-6-11
Use props
cspain
Second Officer
Flight distance : 662644 ft
United States

I get this on my S8 - I just recalibrate my phone compass while the phone is connected to the RC. On the S8 I just swipe out the edge menu, go to the compass widget and there is a calibrate option in there.
2018-6-11
Use props
wildlifr
lvl.4
United States

cspain Posted at 2018-6-11 13:14
I get this on my S8 - I just recalibrate my phone compass while the phone is connected to the RC. On the S8 I just swipe out the edge menu, go to the compass widget and there is a calibrate option in there.

That's an idea. I'll have to check into it, but I thought I read that the verizon version of the S9 had no option for compass calibration. Hopefully, I misread.
2018-6-11
Use props
AlansDronePics
First Officer
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Guernsey

Consider this.
https://forum.dji.com/thread-152265-1-1.html
2018-6-11
Use props
Phuong Do
lvl.4
Flight distance : 29800 ft
Vietnam

I am using Motorola Nexus 6,confirm I have similar issue.Just noticed this yesterday,and I will try turning phone over as well as recalibrate phone compass to see if there is any improvement.
However,I wonder with that interference,will it affect the return-to-home function?
2018-6-12
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I use crystal Sky had similar problems, but tried calibration of the Crystalsky with RC attached and it now works fine.
My crystal sky is dedicated to my Mavic controller . Not sure if you can do this with your phone as it might throw off compass in your phone when using normally, also not sure you can calibrate compass in S9.
2018-6-12
Use props
wildlifr
lvl.4
United States

AlansDronePics Posted at 2018-6-11 22:45
Consider this.
https://forum.dji.com/thread-152265-1-1.html

Unfortunately, this is the procedure that appears not to work on the verizon S9. I get no menu when I type in those numbers and symbols on the keypad.
2018-6-12
Use props
wildlifr
lvl.4
United States

Phuong Do Posted at 2018-6-12 03:27
I am using Motorola Nexus 6,confirm I have similar issue.Just noticed this yesterday,and I will try turning phone over as well as recalibrate phone compass to see if there is any improvement.
However,I wonder with that interference,will it affect the return-to-home function?

No, RTH is based on gps location of the home point, and a working compass function on the drone itself. This problem shouldn't affect anything other than controller orientation on the radar map.
2018-6-12
Use props
AlansDronePics
First Officer
Guernsey

wildlifr Posted at 2018-6-12 05:25
No, RTH is based on gps location of the home point, and a working compass function on the drone itself. This problem shouldn't affect anything other than controller orientation on the radar map.

I agree phone compass accuracy is a red herring, but the hidden keystrokes may be of general interest and is a way for many people to calibrate their Samsung phone. J7 has no compass, my error, I should have said my S4 does.
2018-6-12
Use props
cspain
Second Officer
United States

wildlifr Posted at 2018-6-12 05:25
No, RTH is based on gps location of the home point, and a working compass function on the drone itself. This problem shouldn't affect anything other than controller orientation on the radar map.

Right, it does not affect RTH, but the radar function does use your phone compass  to determine where you are facing relative to the AC. The radar view is very useful especially if you want to orient yourself for better signal and you can use it to fly back if you lose line of sight and don't want to use RTH. So, calibrating your phone compass while connected to the controller is useful to know and do.
2018-6-13
Use props
cspain
Second Officer
United States

AlansDronePics Posted at 2018-6-12 13:52
I agree phone compass accuracy is a red herring, but the hidden keystrokes may be of general interest and is a way for many people to calibrate their Samsung phone. J7 has no compass, my error, I should have said my S4 does.

Not a red herring if you want your radar view to be correct which I do.
2018-6-13
Use props
AlansDronePics
First Officer
Guernsey

cspain Posted at 2018-6-13 15:35
Not a red herring if you want your radar view to be correct which I do.

I stand corrected, sorry.
2018-6-14
Use props
AlphaFlightNW
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Btw if anyone still has problems with compass error on their phone, use Google maps calibration. Click the blue dot where your located and follow the directions on screen. It worked for me better than the*#0*# menu
2018-6-15
Use props
AlansDronePics
First Officer
Guernsey

AlphaFlightNW Posted at 2018-6-15 17:30
Btw if anyone still has problems with compass error on their phone, use Google maps calibration. Click the blue dot where your located and follow the directions on screen. It worked for me better than the*#0*# menu

Well, the blue dot only shows location and accuracy (width of beam or border) and does not act like a calibration button on the S4 J7 or TAB S2.  Did you say what devices you tested your theory on?
The figure of 8 OR the flipping methods are ultimately, the only way to actually calibrate the compass. The *#0*# seems to cover the Samsung range and opens up many interesting phone functions.
2018-6-15
Use props
AlphaFlightNW
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

AlansDronePics Posted at 2018-6-15 23:10
Well, the blue dot only shows location and accuracy (width of beam or border) and does not act like a calibration button on the S4 J7 or TAB S2.  Did you say what devices you tested your theory on?
The figure of 8 OR the flipping methods are ultimately, the only way to actually calibrate the compass. The *#0*# seems to cover the Samsung range and opens up many interesting phone functions.

That was the google maps calibration I was talking about, the figure 8
2018-6-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules