CrystalSky can't take the Heat
4663 30 2018-6-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Despite DJI's advertising of CrystalSky:
Created for outdoor aerial imaging, the CrystalSky monitor features an ultra-bright screen that is clearly visible in sunlight. It is designed from the ground up to work seamlessly with the DJI GO app, giving camera operators total control.

And CrystalSky's Spec showing:
Operation Temperature -20℃ to 40℃ (-4℉ to 104℉)

(my) CrystalSky can not take outdoor temperatures at (or above) 91℉, and work seamlessly.

CS_Hang.jpg
104℉ - 91℉ = 13℉

CrystalSky had been outside about 40 minutes when it locked up without warning.  (After CrystalSky cooled down, it did come back to life. But for how long...)  

Prior to being taken outside, CrystalSky had been inside at 72℉; giving CS some starting advantage against outside temperature.
13℉ is well below CrystalSky's Maximum operatating temperature.  Putting it at 87.5% of its Max Op Temp and placing it at 84.3% of its overall range.

Normally, Engineers design in some amount of safety factor (like 10% or 15%) above marketed operating Min. & Max.  Meaning CrystalSky should be able to handle a little bit more than stated Operating Min. & Max. temperatures before having problems.  Instead of opposite.

DJI needs to come out with a redeisgned CrsytalSky that can take the Heat.  
Along with offering all current CrystalSky owners a heavily discounted Swap.
2018-6-11
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hedge, we're sorry for the troubles first. May I know what's the current firmware of you CrystalSky? The temperature will be keeping optimized in the firmware update, I'd advise updating to the latest one and try later. More details, please visit this link:
http://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/C ... e_Notes_EN_0525.pdf
2018-6-11
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-6-11 20:26
Hedge, we're sorry for the troubles first. May I know what's the current firmware of you CrystalSky? The temperature will be keeping optimized in the firmware update, I'd advise updating to the latest one and try later. More details, please visit this link:
http://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/CrystalSky/20180525/CrystalSky_Release_Notes_EN_0525.pdf

GO-4 shows App revision 4.2.16.
CrystalSky shows System version of 02.06.06.00 and Kernel version 3.10.0

From Release notes both CrystalSky and GO-4 app were already running latest release.  

2018-6-11
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-6-11 20:55
GO-4 shows App revision 4.2.16.
CrystalSky shows System version of 02.06.06.00 and Kernel version 3.10.0

Noted with thanks! Two more questions, which CS do you use? Do you hear the noise of the inner fan before the CS lock up? I'd like to collect these details and forward to our engineers for further review.

2018-6-11
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-6-11 23:10
Noted with thanks! Two more questions, which CS do you use? Do you hear the noise of the inner fan before the CS lock up? I'd like to collect these details and forward to our engineers for further review.

CrystalSky Ultra-brite

Felt like a fan inside CrystalSky was running, some hot air was coming out of top vent.
2018-6-12
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-6-12 07:20
CrystalSky Ultra-brite

Felt like a fan inside CrystalSky was running, some hot air was coming out of top vent.

Hi, thank you for providing the information, this has been forwarded to our engineers for a check, if there is an update, we'll let you know at the first time. Appreciate your patience.
2018-6-12
Use props
QuadKid
Second Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

Not sure if you were standing/sitting with direct sunlight on the CS? Standing with the CS in direct sunlight will heat up the CS far above the 104°F operating limit, direct sunlight will heat up the unit 130-140°F. I always have to shield it with my body while flying to limit the overheat warning.
2018-6-14
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

QuadKid Posted at 2018-6-14 01:54
Not sure if you were standing/sitting with direct sunlight on the CS? Standing with the CS in direct sunlight will heat up the CS far above the 104°F operating limit, direct sunlight will heat up the unit 130-140°F. I always have to shield it with my body while flying to limit the overheat warning.

Two times my Cs-Ub has overheated, neither time did it show (or put up) an Overheat warning or Error.
Both times, Cs-Ub stopped working.  Both times, taking Cs-Ub into Air Conditioned area and letting it set for a while, got Cs-Ub working again.

From what I can tell the Cs-Ub's internal fan(s) are severely undersized.  Not even moving half air needed to keep Cs-Ub cool enough to work.
2018-6-17
Use props
QuadKid
Second Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-6-17 06:57
Two times my Cs-Ub has overheated, neither time did it show (or put up) an Overheat warning or Error.
Both times, Cs-Ub stopped working.  Both times, taking Cs-Ub into Air Conditioned area and letting it set for a while, got Cs-Ub working again.

I have heard of this with the Ultra Brights, I use the 5.5" HD and since the last update which seems to corrected the overheat problems for the HD models. Had mine out today 93°F not warning and the unit didn't seem overly hot. Obviously they neglected the UB's

2018-6-17
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Update: Just got an update from our engineers that it is the high-temperature protection as the temperature might be more than 40℃ due to the direct sunlight.
For your situation, it is recommended to unblock the side holes and protect the screen from direct sunlight for a long time to see whether the issue remains. If there is any further question, feel free to contact us.
2018-6-20
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-6-20 00:44
Update: Just got an update from our engineers that it is the high-temperature protection as the temperature might be more than 40℃ due to the direct sunlight.
For your situation, it is recommended to unblock the side holes and protect the screen from direct sunlight for a long time to see whether the issue remains. If there is any further question, feel free to contact us.

it is recommended to unblock the side holes

I am using DJI's CrystalSky Mavic Pro/Spark Remote Controller Mounting Bracket.  With Mavic Pro Remote Control.  

When properly mounted RC is at Top and CrystalSky is upside at bottom of RC.  Nothing on sides to block vents.  

Additionally there are no side holes for venting.  The right side is all buttons.  Unless engineers are talking about HDMI, USB-A, USB-C, Headphone ports & jack, and microSD card slots, on Left as side holes.

Did engineers say why, I am not getting any kind of high-temperature warning or error prior to protection shutting down CrystalSky?

2018-6-20
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

temperature might be more than 40℃ due to the direct sunlight.
protect it from direct sunlight for a long time

CrystalSky Acesssory?

2018-6-21
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-6-20 07:55
it is recommended to unblock the side holes

There is no warning for high-temperature protection. You can use the sunshade or monitor hood to verify whether it is this case.
2018-6-24
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-6-24 00:30
There is no warning for high-temperature protection. You can use the sunshade or monitor hood to verify whether it is this case.

DJI Susan: There is no warning for high-temperature protection.

From post in this thread: CS Ultra - Too Hot Warning

Has DJI dropped the ''CrystakSky is too hot.'' warning message?

2018-6-24
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-6-24 18:03
DJI Susan: There is no warning for high-temperature protection.

From post in this thread: CS Ultra - Too Hot Warninghttps://forum44.djicdn.com/data/attachment/forum/201801/05/014311zuxi5xqr1iqccgjr.jpg[/img]

Just to verify, did you check the warning is General Settings? Please check the below picture:
General Settings.jpeg
2018-6-29
Use props
pezza
lvl.3
Flight distance : 71302 ft
Australia

I just sent the DJI mount back for refund. because with the mavic pro controller the bottom cooling vents are blocked by my body and the top are blocked by my left hand on the controls
For $139 AUD I expected a hell of a lot more, not to mention NO bloody charger for mavic owners. I could have purchased 2 x75" full HD TV's from Aldi @ $695 AUD'S each, for the price of one 7.85" CS ub.
I'm worried I have done a bad thing  with this UB, probably should have waited for when this overheating problem is really solved
2018-6-30
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

pezza Posted at 2018-6-30 00:48
I just sent the DJI mount back for refund. because with the mavic pro controller the bottom cooling vents are blocked by my body and the top are blocked by my left hand on the controls
For $139 AUD I expected a hell of a lot more, not to mention NO bloody charger for mavic owners. I could have purchased 2 x75" full HD TV's from Aldi @ $695 AUD'S each, for the price of one 7.85" CS ub.
I'm worried I have done a bad thing  with this UB, probably should have waited for when this overheating problem is really solved

I fully understand.  I am still trying to figure out how to make an edge clip-on vent shield.  To keep vent from being blocked by body or loose clothing.  Been keeping away from me, but you get to concentrating on flying, it is easy enough to get Cs-Ub up against you.  Do to Cs-Ub weight, coupled to R.C. the DJI adapter needed to come with a metal bar to allow a neck strap.

IMO: CrystalSky's are not Professional or Prosumer level.  Internal fan(s) do not move enough air.  Should have had a flat battery.  Battery hub should also work with Mavic Pro charger, rather than having to buy and carry separate charger.  Double internal memory, and overall faster CPU and memory.

Having to turn off some GO-4  features such as Under/Over exposure warnings to keep CrystalSky cool enough and fast enough is unacceptable.  Being DJI is in control of firmware, OS, and App running on CrystalSky, optimization should not be an issue.  Not being able to have live-view videos written to microSD card, and instead written to internal memory is ridiculous.
2018-6-30
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-6-29 04:00
Just to verify, did you check the warning is General Settings? Please check the below picture:

I looked again.  No warnings about CrystalSky getting to warm or about to shutdown.
2018-6-30
Use props
pezza
lvl.3
Flight distance : 71302 ft
Australia

I purchased a Polar Pro mount for $59 AUD from Camzilla.com.ua, far superior to the outrageously priced DJI product. Balance is much better and the vents aren't blocked.
The DJI product also makes your left hand block the top vent.
I believe Polar Pro is an American company
2018-7-5
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-6-20 00:44

Bought DJI Hood for CrystalSky.  It can be mounted on CrystalSky rotated 180-degrees to work with DJI Quick mount for Mavic R.C., which puts CrystalSky below R.C.

However, you can't take Hood on / off without first removing DJI Quick mount bracket bolted on to CrystalSky side.  Other issue is Hood as designed, when rotated 180-degrees blocks Light Sensor on CrystalSky.

As for use, with DJI Hood attached:
Hood makes using CrystalSky touchscreen difficult.  Especially near right side if you are right handed and near top middle going right.  Left side if you are Left handed.
Hood also makes it hard to hold CrystalSky with R.C. and use Joysticks and top control buttons.

As for prupose of DJI Hood to keep screen out of direct sunglight and provide some shading to body of CrystalSky.  Not sure how well that is going to work.  For brief time outside today, the CrystalSky got pretty warm to touch.  Had it been hotter outside or tried a full-flight or second flight, think CrystalSky would have overheated.

Summary: DJI Hood is a cumbersome bandaid for CrystalSky's inability to do what it was designed for - provide bright display outside in direct sunlight.

2018-7-14
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Temp-Out.jpg    Pixelation-Smearing-Blurring.jpg

After rolling back to V02.06.03.00 from V02.06.06.00, took Crystal Sky Ultra out today for testing.  Reason for testing was to see if rollback to .03.00 would fix the Live view video stream pixelation-smearing-blurring problem.
This time, Crystal Sky Ultra did not shutdown, why I do not know.  Temperature outside was six degrees hotter than before.  CrystalSky Ultra got so hot it was uncomfortable to hold.  There was no over heating screen warnings.  Fan(s) were running.  However, it did appear that pixelation-smearing-blurring problem got worse as CrystalSky got hotter.

Prior to testing, had Crystal Sky Ultra inside (72-deg F).  With CrystalSky Ultra running GO-4 connected to Remote Control, and Mavic Pro P powered up (props not turning); the CrystalSky Ultra fan(s) would come on shortly after panning Mavic Pro P camera up and down or moving drone around.  Fan(s) would stop running after stopping panning or moving of drone around.
Twice before taking drone out for testing, I saw brief pixelation-smearing-blurring of Live View video stream.  I choose to continue with testing outside, thinking there could be something inside interferring with transmission, all though never saw pixelation-smearing-blurring problem running Mavic Pro P with .0200 FW or .0100 FW.

2018-7-25
Use props
BagoDJIoperator84
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1077608 ft
South Korea

How do you like your CrystalSky, I am thinking of getting one when I purchase my inspire 2 setup, I kind of torn between it or using my ipad.
2018-8-6
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

BagoDJIoperator84 Posted at 2018-8-6 00:59
How do you like your CrystalSky, I am thinking of getting one when I purchase my inspire 2 setup, I kind of torn between it or using my ipad.

There is only one reason to buy CrystalSky Ultra bright, and that is to have a screen bright enough to see in bright sunlight.  Even then, DJI recommend keeping CrystalSky out of direct sunlight.

There are several reasons not to buy CrystalSky.
1) Not even close to being as reliable as an iPad.
2) Prone to overheating at temperatures below designed Maximum Operating Temperature
3) Easily overloaded by GO-4 App - as I found out today when turned on two of GO-4 App options.
4) Bulky on its own, bulkier with battery attached
5) Specific power-supplies required for use with battery charger
6) CrystalSky used to have a "too hot" warning, now it may shutdown without warning.
2018-8-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Forget the only one around here with problems out of the box, vast majority using Crystalsky realize the great benefits it has over other devices which are used not only for drone but 20 other different things. A dedicated device one which frees up your other devices is definitely the way to go. You will notice that on this thread one person complaining and this thread has been here a long time, so that explains that....
2018-8-7
Use props
Taz Flyer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 161588 ft
United States

You might want to try you iPad in 'real' world conditions, 3 or 4 battery swaps, outside in the sun. I ran like this before I bought a couple of CrystalSkys (7.85 HB models), iPad gets very hot running video, and locked up many times. I purchased an X-Naut cooling mount for the iPad, it helped a little, but where I fly it get very warm in the summers (Its 103 F right now), I still had some lockup issues.

My iPad is a model A1673 (2016), so its almost 2 years old. I am quite happy with the CrystalSkys, yes there are some issues, but like Hallmark007 said, having a dedicated device is easy (don't have to remember to do the iPad setup for flying, this link will take you to the one I use, in case you don't have it. https://phantompilots.com/thread ... -performance.48388/). I use the new 'Shade' from DJI for the CrystalSkys, and they work very well.

As with anything from DJI that has to do with software or firmware upgrades (just like our other devices in life), don't rush to upgrade until you check the forums, I have avoided many issues on my M600 Pros, by checking before upgrade.

Good luck and remember to always have fun.

TazFlyer
2018-8-7
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Forget the only one around here with problems out of the box

That reminds me...

7) I am On my second CrystalSky Ultra bright.  First one came with hardware problem directly from DJI.  Intermittently would lock-up or ceased to function.  Even when simply using built-in Android OS Web Browser, let alone tyring to use it with DJI's factory loaded GO-4 App.

8) Second CrystalSky Ultra bright came with Touch Screen problems at Top and somewhat at bottom.  Wasted lots of time, repeatedly trying to get CrystalSky through initial setup - because at least two of required Setup Confirmations were at very Top (right hand corner), and would not take Touch input.  Problem was so bad, it too almost went back.
Touch problem has persisted, but tolerated because to use CrystalSky with Mavic Pro Remote Control, CrystalSky is mounted upside down using DJI's Quick attach bracket / USB connector, and Flip Screen option.

??) Depending on outcome of current problem with CrystalSky and GO-4 disconnection and GO-4 quitting - possibly may soon be on my third CrystalSky Ultra bright.
2018-8-7
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

vast majority using Crystalsky realize the great benefits it has over  other devices which are used not only for drone but 20 other different  things.  A dedicated device one which frees up your other devices is definitely the way to go.  

One of most illogical arguments ever for CrystalSky.  If you are going to dump major dollars out for a dedicated CrystalSky, you can dump major dollars out for a dedicated iPad or Tablet.
2018-8-7
Use props
BagoDJIoperator84
lvl.4
South Korea

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-8-6 19:59
There is only one reason to buy CrystalSky Ultra bright, and that is to have a screen bright enough to see in bright sunlight.  Even then, DJI recommend keeping CrystalSky out of direct sunlight.

There are several reasons not to buy CrystalSky.

I understand DJI have few issues with QA/QC with their products. I appreciate your response i will take these into consideration in my decision.
2018-8-7
Use props
BagoDJIoperator84
lvl.4
South Korea

Taz Flyer Posted at 2018-8-7 12:35
You might want to try you iPad in 'real' world conditions, 3 or 4 battery swaps, outside in the sun. I ran like this before I bought a couple of CrystalSkys (7.85 HB models), iPad gets very hot running video, and locked up many times. I purchased an X-Naut cooling mount for the iPad, it helped a little, but where I fly it get very warm in the summers (Its 103 F right now), I still had some lockup issues.

My iPad is a model A1673 (2016), so its almost 2 years old. I am quite happy with the CrystalSkys, yes there are some issues, but like Hallmark007 said, having a dedicated device is easy (don't have to remember to do the iPad setup for flying, this link will take you to the one I use, in case you don't have it. https://phantompilots.com/threads/how-to-optimize-apple-device-for-the-best-dji-go-app-performance.48388/). I use the new 'Shade' from DJI for the CrystalSkys, and they work very well.

Thanks very much, i dont own the Inspire 2 as yet soon, once i get all the feedback on the pros of cons before i make my decision.... just seeing the experiences ppl had with their products.
2018-8-7
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

BagoDJIoperator84 Posted at 2018-8-7 16:51
I understand DJI have few issues with QA/QC with their products. I appreciate your response i will take these into consideration in my decision.

Your welcome.  Main thing is you go into decision with eyes open.
Best of luck, what ever your decision is!
2018-8-7
Use props
BagoDJIoperator84
lvl.4
South Korea

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-8-7 18:43
Your welcome.  Main thing is you go into decision with eyes open.
Best of luck, what ever your decision is!

Thanks man I appreciate.
2018-8-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules