1949 28 2018-6-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TheLazyC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1357356 ft
  • >>>
United States

For those that use Litchi, I have a question (asking for a friend)

If you map out a waypoint mission, say form your computer and save it, then open it on your moblie device and deploy the mission and the mission goes beyond the limits of the RC, how does the P4PV2.0 and other drones know the route? Does it store the entire mission in memory when it leaves it home base?

When looking at the Mission Hub, it is clear that some people are flyign beyond the limites of the RC and CLOS. Not the drone police and not wanting to get into that debate but was wondering maining for maintaining connectivity between drone and RC.

This weekend I flew with in CLOS at 400' AGL on my own property and got a weak signal alert and was only 150 yards away.

If I were to fly my property line, using Litchi, can I rest assured that the drone will return home even if loss of signal from RC?
2018-6-12
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Yes, it stores the mission on board the AC.

Using Litchi, if your home point is marked correctly, if using Litchi in normal RC flying, AC will RTH normally with signal loss.  If using waypoints, AC will continue mission beyond RC range since the control signal is not needed.  However, my understanding is if it reaches the smart-RTH point regarding distance and the battery, it will RTH.  Let somebody confirm that.  
2018-6-12
Use props
TheLazyC
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2018-6-12 11:34
Yes, it stores the mission on board the AC.

Using Litchi, if your home point is marked correctly, if using Litchi in normal RC flying, AC will RTH normally with signal loss.  If using waypoints, AC will continue mission beyond RC range since the control signal is not needed.  However, my understanding is if it reaches the smart-RTH point regarding distance and the battery, it will RTH.  Let somebody confirm that.

Sounds like a really neat app. I got it yesterday and will try some small missions to see how it goes. I really would like to fly my property line which is only 34 acres but was a little nervous.

I have been browsing all of the Mission Hub and some neat stuff out there.
2018-6-12
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Yes ... the mission is loaded to the Phantom's internal memory so the Phantom can run the mission whether or not there is signal.
34 acres should be no trouble at all.

But you asked about the P4 pro V2.0.
There's a delay with the SDK for that model.
Until it is released, the V2.0 will not run Litchi or other 3rd party apps.
2018-6-12
Use props
ChrisLX200
lvl.2
Flight distance : 10184 ft
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 2018-6-12 14:25
Yes ... the mission is loaded to the Phantom's internal memory so the Phantom can run the mission whether or not there is signal.

How do you calculate whether Litchi can complete your mission on one battery?

If it goes out of range of the RC does it return to home @ 30% battery automatically (running the Litchi mission).
2018-6-12
Use props
Hurley1718
Second Officer
Flight distance : 549295 ft
  • >>>
United States

ChrisLX200 Posted at 2018-6-12 14:58
How do you calculate whether Litchi can complete your mission on one battery?

If it goes out of range of the RC does it return to home @ 30% battery automatically (running the Litchi mission).

When setting up the Litchi mission on your PC it will calculate the distance and estimated flight time. So as you start laying down your waypoints it starts to add up the flight time. So you know already that your drone can go lets say 28min on a full charge, so when building your mission stay around 20min or so, then you know that you will be able to capture everything you want and return home safely. Otherwise the drone might do a RTH before you captured what you wanted because you over estimated the flight time.

Yes Litchi has the same battery calculation as the DJI Go 4 app. So when you start flying and reach the threshold of battery life you setup then it will do a return to home.
2018-6-12
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

ChrisLX200 Posted at 2018-6-12 14:58
How do you calculate whether Litchi can complete your mission on one battery?

I'm about to go out and fly a video run around a 40 acre site I fly regularly for a client to monitor construction.
The site is 40 acres It's perimeter that I'll fly around is 1.7 km.
I know that my Phantom can easily manage to fly 8+ kilometres on a battery so 1.7 km will be no problem.
2018-6-12
Use props
TheLazyC
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 2018-6-12 14:25

So, I am sitting on a brick right now, when it comes to Litchi?
2018-6-12
Use props
TheLazyC
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

So once I get the update, I should have no issues flying this below?

2018-6-12
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

26 minutes?  Well, if things don't look good at waypoint 12, you can cancel and bring it home!  

Good luck
2018-6-12
Use props
TheLazyC
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2018-6-12 16:36
26 minutes?  Well, if things don't look good at waypoint 12, you can cancel and bring it home!  

Good luck

I guess I need to speed it up, I think I have it down to 4.5 mph, what is a good cruising speed?
2018-6-12
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

TheLazyC Posted at 2018-6-12 17:02
I guess I need to speed it up, I think I have it down to 4.5 mph, what is a good cruising speed?

Getting the ideal speed depends on a few things ... how much detail you want to see, how high you fly etc.
I've just finished flying my site for a client.
At 100 ft up, I flew at 14 mph and it's good for their purposes.
At lower heights you need to slow down and higher you can fly faster.

Do a test run and see what works for you.
But I'd guess 4.5 mph is too slow - That's almost walking speed
2018-6-12
Use props
Hurley1718
Second Officer
Flight distance : 549295 ft
  • >>>
United States

TheLazyC Posted at 2018-6-12 17:02

10 mph is a good cruising speed. If you film at 60 fps you can slow it down during the editing process for a nice slow motion effect. Or leave the speed where its at to view your property.
2018-6-12
Use props
BrianKushner
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41420253 ft
  • >>>
United States

TheLazyC Posted at 2018-6-12 16:19
So, I am sitting on a brick right now, when it comes to Litchi?

Yes as am I. Bought the drone very early. My bad.
2018-6-12
Use props
BrianKushner
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

TheLazyC Posted at 2018-6-12 16:19
So, I am sitting on a brick right now, when it comes to Litchi?

For what it's worth I received this email the other day.

2018-6-12
Use props
sky wombat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1454078 ft
  • >>>

OK I'll bite, why are all measurements in feet except between points 16 & 17 which looks like metres? Just wondering (for a friend of course) .

If you're worried about the time of the flight perhaps breaking it down into smaller bits?
2018-6-13
Use props
TheLazyC
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

sky wombat Posted at 2018-6-13 02:23
OK I'll bite, why are all measurements in feet except between points 16 & 17 which looks like metres? Just wondering (for a friend of course) .

If you're worried about the time of the flight perhaps breaking it down into smaller bits?

Good observation. Not sure what is happening there, maybe that is where my drone crashes!!! I had not noticed the difference in measurements. At 0.2m that is only 7.8 inches

Ok, I deleted that waypoint and put it back in approximately the same spot, got the same measurement. Then I dragged it out and it grew to 0.3m, but then when I shortened it, it when to 986' so I guess the m stood for MILES, once it reached over 1000' it converts to miles.
2018-6-13
Use props
sky wombat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1454078 ft
  • >>>

OK so no panic. Good work through by the way. Now onwards and upwards...
Remember to keep us posted.
2018-6-13
Use props
patiam
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1118740 ft
  • >>>
United States

We need an SDK for the P4 Pro V2.0!
Send a request to support!
2018-6-14
Use props
QuadKid
Second Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

" I guess the m stood for MILES, once it reached over 1000' it converts to miles. " Absolutely correct.
2018-6-14
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>

patiam Posted at 2018-6-14 09:05
We need an SDK for the P4 Pro V2.0!
Send a request to support!

You don't need SDK (Software Development Kit) because you probably don't know what to do with it (although I may be wrong). All 3rd party developers need that instead to make new radio transmission protocol compatible with their apps, which may take even more time to realize and test successfully.

2018-6-14
Use props
rexster314
lvl.3

United States

No way I'd try a 26 minute mission. You don't know what kind of wind problems might develop. It'll return to home, but I would split this mission up into 2 or speed up the bird. 10-12 mph would get you that mission in one try
2018-6-15
Use props
BrianKushner
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

TommyGa Posted at 2018-6-14 13:47
Not happening anytime soon. I just got this email: [view_image]

Well that's much worse then my 2 weeks. 2nd half of July is a month away.
2018-6-15
Use props
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

Tell your friend he needs to speed that drone up as others have said.  You never know what kind of environmental issues your going to encounter along the way.  Double and triple check all your altitudes as well.
2018-6-16
Use props
Campen
lvl.2
Flight distance : 49639 ft

rexster314 Posted at 2018-6-15 16:32
No way I'd try a 26 minute mission. You don't know what kind of wind problems might develop. It'll return to home, but I would split this mission up into 2 or speed up the bird. 10-12 mph would get you that mission in one try

Its best to break up your missions with plenty of room for error. We usually set the flight plans for never more than about 2/3 of the expected flight time duration of the copter and batteries. So for a P4P that has a 30min flight time "on a new battery", we would never make the missions longer than 20mins, and usually 18 is my max comfort zone.  On a windy day even that might be way to long.  I had one time on a windy day tried to fly a 15min mission with my P3P and it hit 5 min in and was already at 34% battery left remaining. Keep in mind also the wind at ground level can be very different by the time you get up to 100 meters, so always keep an eye on your battery levels. Also once your batteries get beyond 30-50 flights, the duration changes significantly. We never use batteries for long missions after they have logged 30 full flights and then only limit the mission to 50% of the expected flight durations there after.
2018-6-16
Use props
patiam
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1118740 ft
  • >>>
United States

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 2018-6-14 15:28
You don't need SDK (Software Development Kit) because you probably don't know what to do with it (although I may be wrong). All 3rd party developers need that instead to make new radio transmission protocol compatible with their apps, which may take even more time to realize and test successfully.

Obtuse much?

You misinterpreted my statement. WE need DJI to release the SDK for the P4 Pro V2 so that 3rd party devs can make their apps work with it.
2018-6-19
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

patiam Posted at 2018-6-19 09:33
Obtuse much?

You misinterpreted my statement. WE need DJI to release the SDK for the P4 Pro V2 so that 3rd party devs can make their apps work with it.

yeah, I know, just pulling your leg ...
2018-6-19
Use props
Latanzi
lvl.2
Flight distance : 839885 ft
Australia

Just wondering if the P4P V2.0 will run Litchi on the Android Platform like the previous version (Which I have)?
Scratch that! just read another forum post that says no
2018-7-3
Use props
Uschi’s Phantom
lvl.2
United States

Latanzi Posted at 2018-7-3 19:31
Just wondering if the P4P V2.0 will run Litchi on the Android Platform like the previous version (Which I have)?
Scratch that! just read another forum post that says no

Wait, what?  I do have iOS and a P4P V2.0 but I don't see any reason Litchi wouldn't run on Android.  The DJI SDK 4.6 was released for Android and I didn't see anything on the DJI Developer site that said the P4P V2.0 was only support in the iOS SDK.  I believe that Litchi on Android will support the P4P V2.0.
2018-7-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules