1545 9 2018-6-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
skinsman
lvl.1
Flight distance : 6352 ft
Australia

Hi everyone,

I just thought I'd pass on the following information to Spark users - if you're really short on time, maybe just read the underlined paragraph :-)

Yesterday i purchased a Spark (including the remote) and can't wait to try it out!!! I was reading and watching tutorials about how to set it up when I came across dicussions on the DJI Forums about using an OTG cable to connect your phone to the Spark Remote. As someone who uses mostly wired connections for devices at home, using one of these cables natually made sense to me.

I noticed on the forums that DJI staff were recommending not to use the Spark remote with an OTG cable because it's not been fully tested. I therefore contacted DJI via live chat to confirm this was still their perspective and it was.

Furthermore (and the main reason for my post here) is that I also asked: if I were to use an OTG cable to connect my phone to the remote and a non-pilot error occured resulting in damage to the aircraft, would DJI still cover the repairs? The answer was "For that case, if something happen to your unit while using the OTG cable, there is a possibility that your warranty will be voided."

This might not be a big issue for more experienced pilots or those with aircraft out of warranty, but last year I had a non-pilot issue with my Phantom 3 and DJI were brilliant in rapidly repairing everything at no cost to me (the Phantom incurred $400 of damage).

Hope this helps people.

2018-6-12
Use props
Terp1234
lvl.4
Flight distance : 50906 ft

I'm wondering how it needs for their technicians to have it tested. They are always asking for patience. First it took months to have it back supported again in de DJI GO app and now it's there, it might void warranty if you use it, because we need to be patient to have it tested by them. I use the cable all the time with my iPad mini and works very stable. What could possibly go wrong when I keep using it, what wouldn't have happened if I used wifi? Is it stored in the logs what type of connection is used in case of crash or fly away?A month ago I asked DJI Elektra what the status is towards warranty, but got no answer on that specific part of my question:  https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=redirect&goto=findpost&ptid=145588&pid=1349751&fromuid=1353890
2018-6-12
Use props
skinsman
lvl.1
Australia

Terp1234 Posted at 2018-6-12 21:13
I'm wondering how it needs for their technicians to have it tested. They are always asking for patience. First it took months to have it back supported again in de DJI GO app and now it's there, it might void warranty if you use it, because we need to be patient to have it tested by them. I use the cable all the time with my iPad mini and works very stable. What could possibly go wrong when I keep using it, what wouldn't have happened if I used wifi? Is it stored in the logs what type of connection is used in case of crash or fly away?A month ago I asked DJI Elektra what the status is towards warranty, but got no answer on that specific part of my question:  https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=redirect&goto=findpost&ptid=145588&pid=1349751&fromuid=1353890

I agree that it all seems a bit strange on the part of DJI - I would always assume that a cable connection would be more stable and therefore lead to less issues, so why not do the development/testing to ensure everything works ok for the cable connection?

Very interesting that DJI Elektra didn't respond to your warranty question. I did note that when I asked the question about warranty the support guy said 'may void the warranty', which isn't a 100% certain response! :-(
2018-6-12
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Thanks, that line: "may void the warranty" is out for quiet some time.
I think, the "may" is the important part here!
As long there is no proof, that the OTG connection was the faulty part, .....!
2018-6-12
Use props
skinsman
lvl.1
Australia

S-e-ven Posted at 2018-6-12 21:50
Thanks, that line: "may void the warranty" is out for quiet some time.
I think, the "may" is the important part here!
As long there is no proof, that the OTG connection was the faulty part, .....!

Sorry if this is old news - I didn't see this referenced when looking through the forums.

Yes, "may" can be interpreted both ways, which isn't helpful!!!
2018-6-12
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

skinsman Posted at 2018-6-12 21:56
Sorry if this is old news - I didn't see this referenced when looking through the forums.

Yes, "may" can be interpreted both ways, which isn't helpful!!!

You dont have to be sorry!
It is not so easy, for DJI, methinks.
The Mods in here did mention both ways, but only for a short time with the words "voids your warranty". Back in October or such.
For me there is the question, how can a cable connection, used for other birds which came delivered with otg cables,  and using the same Go4 version, void the warranty of only ONE model? Since the Air is out even more. I heard rumors, that the air remote in the end is usable for the Spark.
If DJI dont want Spark Users to use OTG, then either it need to be managed by hardware in the RC, or the spark needs a different app.
To late, anyway. And in CE countries not really usable with Wifi only!
Just my2c
2018-6-12
Use props
skinsman
lvl.1
Australia

S-e-ven Posted at 2018-6-12 22:04
You dont have to be sorry!
It is not so easy, for DJI, methinks.
The Mods in here did mention both ways, but only for a short time with the words "voids your warranty". Back in October or such.

Completely agree with you, good points.
2018-6-12
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Thank you for bringing your query here, I understand your concern about the OTG cable, as of the moment, we're currently supporting that OTG cable for you to connect the DJI Goggles with remote controller, however, it's not advisable yet when in terms of connecting the phone to the remote controller. Regarding with the possible warranty avoid due to using an OTG, it would depend on our repair team they will damage asses the unit and check if there was a pilot error envolve or due to using unrecommended usage or else it was a malfunction defect and that's the time they could be able to determine if we will be covered by warranty or not as well.
2018-6-13
Use props
Terp1234
lvl.4
Flight distance : 50906 ft
Netherlands

DJI Tony Posted at 2018-6-13 12:30
Thank you for bringing your query here, I understand your concern about the OTG cable, as of the moment, we're currently supporting that OTG cable for you to connect the DJI Goggles with remote controller, however, it's not advisable yet when in terms of connecting the phone to the remote controller. Regarding with the possible warranty avoid due to using an OTG, it would depend on our repair team they will damage asses the unit and check if there was a pilot error envolve or due to using unrecommended usage or else it was a malfunction defect and that's the time they could be able to determine if we will be covered by warranty or not as well.

Thanks for the clarification, Tony. So it is more the combination of issues whether OTG might void warranty or not. This makes me a bit more confident using the cable as it works very stable for me. So I don't have to keep in mind that I don't void my warranty per definition if anything happens to my Spark.
But maybe you can also tell DJI technicians it takes ridiculously long to have it tested and say it is save to use.
2018-6-13
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Terp1234 Posted at 2018-6-13 20:48
Thanks for the clarification, Tony. So it is more the combination of issues whether OTG might void warranty or not. This makes me a bit more confident using the cable as it works very stable for me. So I don't have to keep in mind that I don't void my warranty per definition if anything happens to my Spark.
But maybe you can also tell DJI technicians it takes ridiculously long to have it tested and say it is save to use.

We will forward your request to our engineers for consideration.
2018-6-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules