16342 7 2018-6-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Reas
lvl.2
Flight distance : 114895 ft
Denmark

Hi peeps.
I bought a couple of ND filters for my mavic air, and the difference is huge when filming in bright weather!
But, I am kind of a perfectionist sometimes, and I was wondering if i used a light measuring device (luxmeter)- what ND X filter would be recommenden for different light intensities?

Yes, I can just try different ones when in the sun, but it would be nice not to land my bird and change filter. So if I could prep a little better and get more out of my battery, it would be awesome!

Thank you already

-Reas
2018-6-12
Use props
Bokepacha
lvl.4
Flight distance : 149265 ft
Netherlands

I downloaded initially the Polar Pro app, but in android is garbage. I'm sure there's a more professional way to measure and choose the correct filter, but my quick method is: I take the filter, put it in front of my eye, check if it's the correct brightness I require, then rotate it to find the correct polarization (mines are the polarized version), and just put the filter in the desired position in the drone.
2018-6-12
Use props
martin joãoo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 945105 ft
Luxembourg

How about setting ISO to 100, measure with the drone and then divide the exposure time by the f stops the filter gives?
2018-6-12
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

You can use your Mavic for that while it is on the ground.
It is not rocket science, but will do.
2018-6-13
Use props
chiplifter
lvl.4
Flight distance : 745180 ft
Netherlands

there is a Free app from Polar Pro to calculate the best filter. Turn your mavic on, set it to automatic and fill the shutterspeed in automatic mode, FPS  and the currently installed filter (or none installed). Press calculate and the app shows the filter to be used.
2018-6-13
Use props
Reas
lvl.2
Flight distance : 114895 ft
Denmark

Thanks for the reply guys! I already have PhotoPills, I did not see the mavic air was already in it!! Perfect
2018-6-13
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>

Reas Posted at 2018-6-13 01:29
Thanks for the reply guys! I already have PhotoPills, I did not see the mavic air was already in it!! Perfect

With my Mavic Pro & P4, I generally use ND4 for overcast/cloudy, lighter ND8, Sunny ND16.

Using iso 100, 30 fps, 1/60th shutter I then check the EV (exposure value) on the screen to see that it is close to zero (+/- 1). Any slight adjustment in exposure can be corrected in editing.
2018-6-13
Use props
Moo_H
lvl.1
Flight distance : 5965 ft
United States

Use the built in histogram. It's there explicitly to tell you about exposure. Turn on the drone, look at the histogram, hold the filters in front until you get the right exposure. (eventually you'll just know)

I don't need or want to use an app. It's just another thing to do. For me it's about getting to a place, unpacking and being in the air as quickly(safely) as possible.

I carry my drone everywhere. In fact on the way home from work yesterday there was a storm that blew through and the clouds were moving fast. I didn't have a chance to get everything just right and deal with another app or piece of equipment.
Learn to use the histogram. It's what it's there for. You'll appreciate the effect so much more when you do.

I'm going to keep pitching this high speed low drag thing until someone follows me down the path!
2018-6-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules