Go from spark to Mavic air worth it?
3674 21 2018-6-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jamaboy007
lvl.3
Flight distance : 15659 ft
Sweden

hi im think about to upgred to Mavic air i have had the sprak aruond two months now. i really like the spark but i really would like to be abel to film in 4K seens i have got the Sony alpha A7 III. I would lika drone that have better video quality. do you guys think is worth it?
thumbnail_Screenshot_20180520-143041.jpg
2018-6-13
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

Well Worth the upgrade
2018-6-13
Use props
Robothamster
lvl.3
Flight distance : 51135 ft
United Kingdom

I went from Spark to Mavic Air and I'm glad I did.

The Spark is a great drone, but the Air is better in every way.
2018-6-13
Use props
GDL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Hong Kong

I upgraded from Spark to Air. It works well for me.

However, if you are not urgent for upgrade just play with Spark longer. There some new drones coming out next month. You better wait and see the actual comparison before making decisions. If lucky enough you may see MP2 coming.
2018-6-13
Use props
Jamaboy007
lvl.3
Sweden

do think DJI will show new drones in the coming months? maybe i should wait for that? I hop is in the size that mavic is or smaller i really like the small ones. not the pros or phantom i think dose are to big and ugly.
2018-6-13
Use props
Optimus Prime-Mavic Air
Second Officer
Flight distance : 568704 ft
Vietnam

Jamaboy007 Posted at 2018-6-13 01:08
do think DJI will show new drones in the coming months? maybe i should wait for that? I hop is in the size that mavic is or smaller i really like the small ones. not the pros or phantom i think dose are to big and ugly.

Depend on you. I have just bought new Mavic Air after sold old one. I know even after hour, DJI launches a new drones, it does not bother me. No one can tell how long DJI will release new one but even they do, Mavic air still toughs years to come when you flight carefully and safe.
2018-6-13
Use props
Ridg
Second Officer
Flight distance : 232306 ft
United Kingdom

The difference between video quality is night and day between the two, I found the spark video quality very disapointing; the MA is exceptional.  Whilst it's probably double the price at the moment it's a much much better drone.
2018-6-13
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The things that make the Spark unique is the ability to charge by USB through the drone, face aware tech in which the Spark is designed to take off and land in your hand, the hub charges three batteries simultaneously and it is both lighter and a lot cheaper. The Mavic Air is literally better in EVERY other way beyond that compared to the Spark and surpasses the Mavic Pro in key areas, including the camera and gimbal - the most important part of any camera drone.
2018-6-13
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Jamaboy007 Posted at 2018-6-13 01:08
do think DJI will show new drones in the coming months? maybe i should wait for that? I hop is in the size that mavic is or smaller i really like the small ones. not the pros or phantom i think dose are to big and ugly.

Don’t wait just go for it , if you liked spark you will love MavAir, next Aircraft for dji will be a bigger drone so your spark and MavAir will still be very relevant.
2018-6-13
Use props
dji0506
lvl.1
Flight distance : 23425 ft
United Kingdom

The Mavic Air also has a smaller folded up footprint than the spark so this is an advantage if you want portability, the footage is also way stabler with the 3 axis gimbal. The Mavic Air also has more intelligent flight modes and features than the spark.
2018-6-13
Use props
Kwalam
lvl.2
Flight distance : 810 ft
Canada

All good points above.  I haven't regretted upgrading from the Spark.  Only reason was the great deal (private sale) I got on an Air, otherwise I would have kept the Spark. The 3-axis gimbal is a huge benefit for me.   The one drawback was the multi-charger doesn't quite work like the Spark. It doesn't charge multiple batteries at once.  Not a huge deal breaker but just to add some constructive criticism.  Its only slightly bigger than the spark but its more compact when its folded in.  The removable joysticks are nice to help transport the complete drone.  I would have liked to see the option to connect the remote without using OTG to a phone, but apparently thats not possible.  I never had disconnect issues with the Spark and its just one less thing to do while setting up. Thats part of the allure of the Spark. Super quick to set up and fly.  
2018-6-13
Use props
GoldenSun
First Officer
Flight distance : 681903 ft
Poland

I'd say go for it, you won't regret it.
2018-6-14
Use props
kovat53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 324521 ft
Hungary

Hi,
I changed from Spark to Air. I think it was a good decision. Better video quality, foldable, easier transport, better gimball, higher video resolution and for me was the most important the OTG connection by default. It was the main reason to exchange it. I would suggest to choose the Air
2018-6-14
Use props
Nancy SEO
lvl.3
Flight distance : 434849 ft
United States

Like everyone else here, I am glad I went from the Spark to the Air. Huge difference in video quality, ability to fly further and over water. I listed my Spark for sale and sold it in 3 hours.  Go ahead and do it. If the Spark bores you, it's time to let go. You can grow into the MA. It'll keep you challenged for awhile.
2018-6-14
Use props
LawLaw242
lvl.2
Flight distance : 86316 ft
Bahamas

It was well worth the upgrade for me! You wont regret it.
2018-6-14
Use props
Jamaboy007
lvl.3
Sweden

Hi and thank you all for the feedback i did buy one yesterday and it om it way to me now
2018-6-14
Use props
GeorgeGreek
First Officer
Flight distance : 636050 ft
  • >>>

Mavic Air is foldable, Spark is not
Spark weighs 300 grams
Mavic Air weighs 430 grams
Spark measures 143 x 143 x 55 mm
Mavic Air measures 168 x 184 x 64 mm unfolded (168 x 83 x 49 mm folded)
Mavic Air 21 min flight time
Spark 16 min flight time
2km range vs. 4km range
Enhanced obstacle avoidance on Mavic Air
ActiveTrack on both
Two new QuickShot modes on Mavic Air
Spark has 1080p video capture
Mavic Air shoots 4K at 30fps
Spark has 12MP stills and f/2.6 aperture
Mavic Air also with 12MP f/2.6, but with HDR
2-axis gimbal vs. 3-axis
2018-6-14
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>

Definitely upgrade
2018-6-14
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 635764 ft
  • >>>
United States

Jamaboy007 Posted at 2018-6-14 04:29
Hi and thank you all for the feedback  i did buy one yesterday and it om it way to me now

Great decision.  You will not regret it at all!
2018-6-14
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

Congratulations, you will love it!
2018-6-14
Use props
Alexba
lvl.1
Singapore

It depends on your priorities. Air will cost you about twice. I think the primary advantage of air is the 4K and gimbal. If flight time is very important, then go with the pro. If your priority is portability and getting into the air as quickly as possible while not being very disturbing in the air and you're happy with youtube quality, then save your money with staying with spark. I am not a pro. FHD quality is good enough for me. Probably my upgrade from Spark will be the Zoom, while keeping my 300 gram spark in my bag while traveling around

I believe that the pilot's flying and video editing skills makes a lot more difference than the resolution etc.

https://youtu.be/5zUBNETYmu4

2018-11-6
Use props
Alexba
lvl.1
Singapore

There is an Interesting video to show how little difference there is between 4K upscaled Spark vs Mavic Pro video quality. Probably there is no difference to someone that is watching the content (not the pixels under microscope)

Go straight to minute 6 for the shootage.
https://youtu.be/iQoKuuQYeEY
2018-11-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules