Ronin-S & Sony Camera Control
826114 826114 2018-6-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Zordon
lvl.2
United Kingdom

So we can't use the focus wheel (and it's unclear if we'll ever be able to), can't use all the features of the app, can't control the camera through the gimbal and have to use the crappy IR cable instead of usb? Hmmm... my unit should arrive any day now but I'm already considering returning it.
2018-7-5
Use props
djiuser_u1fioz8UrNqU
lvl.3
United States

fansc22e5336 Posted at 2018-7-4 14:06
I am also wondering if the apps will work with my a7rIII. i guess most of the buyers have sony cameras, so this is not good for the ronin-s. my camera was on the compability list so it better work

I'm using the a7RIII, and all the apps are working.  This is with the 1.2.0.10 firmware update, and the IR control cable.  This is still a pretty touchy setup but seems okay.  Yesterday I was shooting outdoor panoramas, which requires 12 automatic shutter actuations.
2018-7-5
Use props
Drewbacca
lvl.1
Flight distance : 374331 ft
  • >>>
United States

fansc22e5336 Posted at 2018-7-5 10:34
Will the motion lapse work ?

No.  Unless you have one of the two supported Sony cameras, you cannot trigger the shutter remotely, which is needed for the motionlapse.
2018-7-6
Use props
djiuser_u1fioz8UrNqU
lvl.3
United States

Drewbacca Posted at 2018-7-6 03:12
No.  Unless you have one of the two supported Sony cameras, you cannot trigger the shutter remotely, which is needed for the motionlapse.

Motion lapse (and all the apps) work with my Sony A7RIII after firmware upgrade 1.2.0.10.  This is with the IR cable.  This also works with my Sony A6300, which is a supported Sony camera, but I would say not terribly reliable until that firmware upgrade.  Specifically the Ronin-S will either actuate the shutter or turn on/off video recording, depending on the app and the mode of the app.

Of course I would much prefer control through the USB cable, but the IR cable is a workable temporary solution.
2018-7-6
Use props
fans368aee23
lvl.2

In this video you can see, how the problem with the compatibility with Sony is handeld.

Use the Sony Remote RMT-DSLR2. Stop working with a cable and placing before the camera.
This is so clumzy.

And please, make a tool, wherein you place the remote. And you easy can remove.
Fasten him, as showed in the video, on the site of the Ronin S.

What the person in the video did, works, but is clumzy again.
DJI can that better.

Hope i give you a good suggestion.
Everyone i think, will be happy.
2018-7-9
Use props
fansc22e5336
lvl.2

Norway

When can we expect a firmware wich fix the a7r III connection ?
2018-7-9
Use props
AceReturns
lvl.1

United States

Another thing I've noticed is that the USB cables do not pass power through to the camera. I've tried both the Micro-USB and USB-C versions, and neither turns on the little charging light on my A7III the way it did with my Zhiyun Crane 2. This feature is actually more important to me than start/stop recording as it allows the gimbal to function as an external power pack. Theoretically, I could charge my whole rig with one cable and even charge while shooting via a battery bank. Please enable pass-though power, DJI!
2018-7-12
Use props
caseyk
New
United States

This is false advertising:

DJI should release information regarding the compatibility of the IR cable and the A7RIII -- I still have not seen it work once. For now I'm using my Sony remote
2018-7-14
Use props
caseyk
New
United States

djiuser_u1fioz8UrNqU Posted at 2018-7-5 14:21
I'm using the a7RIII, and all the apps are working.  This is with the 1.2.0.10 firmware update, and the IR control cable.  This is still a pretty touchy setup but seems okay.  Yesterday I was shooting outdoor panoramas, which requires 12 automatic shutter actuations.

Can you post a pic of your setup / A7RIII configuration? This is still not working for me
2018-7-14
Use props
djiuser_u1fioz8UrNqU
lvl.3

caseyk Posted at 2018-7-14 15:20
Can you post a pic of your setup / A7RIII configuration? This is still not working for me

Possibly the only thing different i've done is to secure the IR cable so it can't move around easily.  This is with a M4 screw and a washer, at the screw hole that normally has the Lens Support.  This makes it easier to align the IR lamp, and keeps it from moving around.

That said, this is a very touchy setup.  I'll be very happy when the USB cable firmware is released.

2018-7-15
Use props
escore
Second Officer
Flight distance : 775568 ft
  • >>>
Finland

I'm also using Sony A7ii with Ronin S.
I'm very happy how the gimbal works and having no problems with IR-controlling. I hope that it will get full USB support someday, as now I'm paying for features that I cant use at all.  
And DJI could have told the default password in the Anroid app..
2018-7-17
Use props
Pelomixa
lvl.2
Flight distance : 166014 ft
United States

Will the focus ring work with IR cable on the Sony A7r iii?
2018-7-18
Use props
Zordon
lvl.2
United States

Pelomixa Posted at 2018-7-18 05:56
Will the focus ring work with IR cable on the Sony A7r iii?

No, sorry. It's only basic start/stop recording. So far the focus wheel is useless for us Sony users.
2018-7-18
Use props
djiuser_u1fioz8UrNqU
lvl.3

Sony with Firmware update 1.3.0.20

I had a chance to try firmware update 1.3.0.20 with my Sony a7riii today.  It looks like both good news and bad news for this update.  The good news is that starting and stopping video seems to be very reliable; I shot indoors and then outdoors, in both shade and bright sunlight, and had 100% success starting and stopping video recording.

The bad news is that it won't control the shutter for still photography, such as for shooting panoramas.  It looks as if DJI is working in this part of the firmware; for panoramas a message pops up to use the dedicated cable to the RSS port.  An nice thought, but the dedicated USB cable doesn't work - the camera won't communicate with the Ronin, no matter the USB configuration.  My conclusion, if you want to shoot panoramas or other functions where you need to control the camera shutter, revert back to the prior firmware, which worked okay with the IR cable for this purpose.
2018-7-22
Use props
djiuser_u1fioz8UrNqU
lvl.3

djiuser_u1fioz8UrNqU Posted at 2018-7-22 10:21
Sony with Firmware update 1.3.0.20

I had a chance to try firmware update 1.3.0.20 with my Sony a7riii today.  It looks like both good news and bad news for this update.  The good news is that starting and stopping video seems to be very reliable; I shot indoors and then outdoors, in both shade and bright sunlight, and had 100% success starting and stopping video recording.

Woops, I realize there is a smartphone app update as well, that lets you tell the app what brand camera you have.  I've updated that, and guess it will resolve the issue of not triggering the Sony shutter for still pictures.  I'm running another camera on the Ronin, but will switch back to the a7riii later in the day to verify this.

---------- Later in the day -----------

Yes, all the functions with the RSS-IR cable work when you tell the app it is a Sony camera.  This is with the iPhone app version 1.1.2.

2018-7-22
Use props
fans4d3ece90
lvl.2
  • >>>
Germany

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-6-19 01:27
Thanks for bringing this to our attention, we care much about your feedback on our product, I’ve transferred your concern to the R&D engineers, will keep improving to make your experience with our product better.

Hi Mindy

Please also look at the bulb mode (shooting Pictures) for Sony Cameras, on my a7riii starting the bulb mode capture (long press on ronin s) is okay, but stopping it only works sometimes

Regards
2018-7-30
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

fans4d3ece90 Posted at 2018-7-30 18:42
Hi Mindy

Please also look at the bulb mode (shooting Pictures) for Sony Cameras, on my a7riii starting the bulb mode capture (long press on ronin s) is okay, but stopping it only works sometimes

Hi there, thanks for your feedback, did you use RSS-IR cable? May I have your firmware version of Ronin-S? Is the firmware of your camera up to date?
2018-7-31
Use props
fans4d3ece90
lvl.2
  • >>>
Singapore

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-7-31 04:47
Hi there, thanks for your feedback, did you use RSS-IR cable? May I have your firmware version of Ronin-S? Is the firmware of your camera up to date?

Hi Mindy

Updated it to 1.3.0.20 last night to try again, previously it was the 1st firmware.
Yes I have used to RSS-IR cable and set the camera to "Sony"

Bulb Mode is still inconsistent, I think the main cause of the issue may be the assignment to press and hold to take a photo.

are we able to program another button for stills?
2018-7-31
Use props
Manos
lvl.2
Flight distance : 102779 ft
  • >>>
Cyprus

We Want proper USB connection with Sony a7III  …. the infrared solution is patch work   Sony "a series "  is becoming definitely the most popular choice for videographers  … DJI please act ..
2018-7-31
Use props
mayi1990
lvl.2
Hong Kong

fansc22e5336 Posted at 2018-7-5 10:34
Will the motion lapse work ?

it works, but you will need to use the IR cable to trigger the shutter. For those app features to work you just need to be able to trigger the shutter.
2018-8-1
Use props
DJI-Paul
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41159547 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Don't run your IR cable like this.

Use this velcro strap you got to secure the IR cable.

You can route it like this for a cleaner look.
2018-8-1
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

fans4d3ece90 Posted at 2018-7-31 17:03
Hi Mindy

Updated it to 1.3.0.20 last night to try again, previously it was the 1st firmware.

The post in 61# is from our engineers, please refer to his input to see if it is useful for your problem and keep us updated, thank you.
2018-8-1
Use props
Manos
lvl.2
Flight distance : 102779 ft
  • >>>
Cyprus

We all use SONY and the IR method is not reliable at all ... I am a bit disappointed ,,,,  DJIIIIIIIIII  ,,,  SONY A7III  is flooding the pro market   and u made a gimbal fully compatible with Lumix ? Helpppp
2018-8-1
Use props
BrummieP4
lvl.2
Flight distance : 383999 ft

Hope Sony and DJI engineers can talk to each other and sort the focus issue.  Follow focus on the Ronins for Sony would be amazing.  Any ETA DJI?
2018-8-6
Use props
timwhite
lvl.1

Yeah essentially this is completely falsely advertised as having Sony Compatibility when in fact is some third party hack way of emulating a remote control, and it can't even do that reliably.

Until there is direct support DJI should remove all mention of Sony compatibility completely from their marketing materials and do something to remedy this ASAP.

The A7III is before the most popular camera out now and most people grabbing new gear will opt for a Sony A7III + Ronin-S as it's the perfect combo.... but not if they can't talk to each other.

This really needs to be dealt with. I made my purchase decision mainly on the fact it would work with all of my Sony cameras and my lenses.
2018-8-6
Use props
AVsupport
lvl.4
Flight distance : 618734 ft
  • >>>
Australia

just confirming,
IR remote Works with A6300.
this includes Panorama function.
2018-8-7
Use props
Gegaspar
New

Just got my Ronin S and have to return it because it useless with my S7 III. And its pretty heavy. Disappointed!
2018-8-17
Use props
MaxBull
lvl.1

For those of you Idiots who cannot get it to work with Sony A7III:

- after you get the IR cable connected and pointed close enough to your Sony IR receiver you would need to use the APP on your phone then click on Create > Cameras then chose Sony.

if you could not get to work after doing this then you don't deserve to hold the Ronin S
2018-8-24
Use props
AVsupport
lvl.4
Flight distance : 618734 ft
  • >>>

I think DJI is working on this issue (camera control cable), and hopefully there'll be an accessory cable release soon (fb group info).
I think with everything this could be just as much Sony being difficult (in not releasing control codes) . DJI is a very capable company, so I am confident they will come up with a solution sooner rather than later. I had more issues with other (gimbal) manufacturers not updating code than what there is with DJI (hence I'm selling my Crane). They are very aware and responsive (as you can judge from number of firmware updates). As with everything new, there's some birthing issues..
In the meantime, IR remote, and enjoy the gimbal.
2018-8-24
Use props
well-about_that
lvl.2
Flight distance : 307779 ft
Croatia

It's all speculation until someone from DJI steps up and confirms this is in the works - hopefully giving ETA as well. I'm considering getting Ronin S for Sony a7 lll but will not do so until I know all the features will work as advertised - including the focus wheel.

It should be obvious people here are desperate for some kind of official response so please provide one.

Thank you,
Dan
2018-8-29
Use props
well-about_that
lvl.2
Croatia

Any update on this?
2018-9-7
Use props
djiuser_Ei3hbVMREMFK
New

Singapore

Another frustrated Sony user here (a7ii and a7iii).  WHEN can we expect more compatibility???
2018-9-9
Use props
well-about_that
lvl.2
Croatia

So, I contacted Sony support since this is obliviously a problem on their side as well. This was their response (translated): 'Thank you for contacting Sony support. At the moment we still don't have available information on compatibility with new DJI Ronin stabilizer. Every info regarding your request will be available on Sony's official pages once they will be available for public.'

So, generic answer one can read in any way one want's. I'd say something is in the works or they are at least aware of it by the way how the answer is spelled out, but I cannot fathom why any of these companies would not just step out and say something - anything. I'm buying my equipment soon and could really use that info and being ignored is getting old.
2018-9-10
Use props
merrythieves
lvl.1
United States

IR remote works fine for me with A7sii and triggering via IR. I can start and stop recording reliably. Regarding the guy in the video posted above: If that is the best he could do in setting up the cable then he needs to re-evaluate his career and life choices. For the rest of us it works just fine and I don't really see how USB would be any better. External focus control is coming soon and already works if you have a DJI Focus motor with latest firmware. Yea internal focus would be nice but the reason it's not supported is probably because of Sony, not DJI.   
2018-9-11
Use props
Roland Schulz
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2166962 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

@DJI-Paul: as mentioned before, what about trying a "sniffer", perhaps "Wireshark" (also works with USB) and the Sony Imaging Edge App to come closer to the Sony USB protocol "secrets"?!
It IS (!) also possible to use focus by (USB-)wire, at least on the a7M3 and a7RM3, even in video mode!
Sony supports this as to be seen here: https://support.d-imaging.sony.c ... /en/devices/#emount
You can even simply try it out yourself with the Imaging Edge Remote App.

Do I oversee somewhat why it should not work??

2018-9-11
Use props
Lawless116
lvl.4
Flight distance : 968209 ft
  • >>>
United States

Almost everyone uses Sony anymore...and they basically ignore it? This makes no sense.
2018-9-18
Use props
well-about_that
lvl.2
Croatia

Welp, no answers here and zhiyun crane 3 lab and weevil lab are supposedly supporting all of the a7III functions out of the box (including a focus wheel). They are also gonna have wireless monitoring option which could be very useful (especially for Sony cameras due to limited display motion range).

One thing that needs attention is their app but they say it's getting a revamp as well.

Good times.
2018-9-22
Use props
sikdujfghds
lvl.1
United States

merrythieves Posted at 2018-9-11 11:39
IR remote works fine for me with A7sii and triggering via IR. I can start and stop recording reliably. Regarding the guy in the video posted above: If that is the best he could do in setting up the cable then he needs to re-evaluate his career and life choices. For the rest of us it works just fine and I don't really see how USB would be any better. External focus control is coming soon and already works if you have a DJI Focus motor with latest firmware. Yea internal focus would be nice but the reason it's not supported is probably because of Sony, not DJI.

Welp... I'm here to eat my words. I filmed a wedding this weekend and missed two of the most important shots because of the unreliability of the IR cable. I now agree it sucks and there should be a better solution released. The sooner the better.   

Fortunately my second shooter got both shots but I'm heartbroken to have lost mine.
2018-9-24
Use props
merrythieves
lvl.1
United States

merrythieves Posted at 2018-9-11 11:39

The above comment was supposed to be from me. Apparently I have two accounts on here somehow. Anyway. Yea... the IR cable sucks. Do not use it on any professional shoot or you will end up crying yourself to sleep.
2018-9-24
Use props
fans2bcb20c5
lvl.2
Flight distance : 41463 ft
Hong Kong

Is there any other USB remote in the market than can connect to the A7 or A9 to pull focus? If no probably the A7/A9 do not support pulling focus at all?
If yes, will the person who know tell DJI what it is then DJI can go get one and reverse engineer it
2018-9-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules