Ronin-S & Sony Camera Control
102410 208 2018-6-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Got1Fishing
lvl.1
Flight distance : 112979 ft
United States

To be clear... this new cable that's been released will only allow you zoom in and out with zoom lenses... So if you shoot with primes the focus wheel on the gimble will still not do anything... Correct? You will however benefit from being able to half press the REC button to focus the shot and it will record like the regular IR cable.

2018-10-23
Use props
hazz
lvl.2

Australia

Got1Fishing Posted at 2018-10-23 17:46
To be clear... this new cable that's been released will only allow you zoom in and out with zoom lenses... So if you shoot with primes the focus wheel on the gimble will still not do anything... Correct? You will however benefit from being able to half press the REC button to focus the shot and it will record like the regular IR cable.

they say it will zoom in and out but mine doesn't work with the 18-105 f4 OSS which is on their list of supported lenses. With my prime lens on the other hand, it uses the clear image zoom in the camera and kinda works. (a6500)

As you can see here.

2018-10-23
Use props
BlackBaron
lvl.2
United States

I had a $15 credit in my DJI account for some reason (after my Mavic 2 purchase) so my total charge for the multi USB cable including shipping was $18.22. I totally understand the ire being expressed here over the cable purchase requirement, but this bullet wasn't such a bad one for me to bite.

There's two things I'd like to point out for those who have just purchased or plan on getting the multi USB cable.

1. It takes a light amount of pressure to push the connecting end of the USB cable into the A7iii. At first I thought there was a defect in the cable I received. The part that plugs into the camera seemed unusually long. I plugged it in until i felt resistance. I didn't push too hard for fear of damaging the port.  This left the cable loose in the socket where any slight movement would cause it to fall out. My second attempt at connecting it, I pushed past the first resistance point and the cable snapped snuggly into place. Rookie shenanigans.

2. A quick glance at the manual that came with the cable states: "After connecting the cable, be sure to power on the Ronin-S before the camera. Otherwise the Ronin-S does not recognize the camera."

Digital zoom (which I will probably never use) works on my SIGMA 24mm Art. Half shutter and record are working.

Sorting out pull focus on this rig will probably make a lot of people happy.

2018-10-24
Use props
AVsupport
lvl.4
Flight distance : 618734 ft
  • >>>

Confirming MMC functionality for A6300 users [FW 1.05.00.45 ]:
working:
STOP / START recording
half-press record: FOCUS
PANORAMA (even though current +/-45 degree tilt restriction and some start/finish row image doubling up)
ZOOM for PZ 18-105: currently max lens zoom speed only (Sony Multi remotes typically only offer 2 speeds as opposed to their LANC controllers that offer 8 for that lens..this might be a SONY issue..; I remember the Sony Playmemories App never having a good working zoom function either...good luck DJI engineers!)
DIGI ZOOM for primes: OK. I tested with quite a few..
Wheel is a little 'sensitive' / no dead zone which can lead to accidental zooming in/out..especially when you're trying to hit your desired zoom sweet spot
It's currently probably only good enough for re-framing, but you wouldn't / couldn't use that for an on-camera record..  
not working:
No focus.
No power yet, sadly, especially since there is a Sony Power to USB which does power the camera when there's a battery in it, but that has been mentioned already..hopefully this is just a code issue and can be fixed avoiding the 'dummy' scenario
I'm led to believe the TRACK UI is old and in the process of getting overhauled to match MOTIONLAPSE etc which hopefully adds some meaninful / useful control to this very exciting feature!
2018-10-24
Use props
WeGo Productions
lvl.2
France

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-10-23 01:08
Hi WeGo, we sincerely apologize for the unpleasant experience with our product and the update, the pulling focus is still under developing, we do have the release date yet, for the zoom speed issue, we have been aware of this and will keep optimizing the future firmware, sorry again for the inconvenience caused.

Hello Mindy, ok we cross our fingers so that it comes quickly. The most urgent and the simplest being to give us the opportunity to focus with the focus wheel, really sincerely zoom all videographers and filmmakers do not care with this tool, one and too loing? we change focus simply or zooming by hand, it is to make the imitation stable Ronin S with followed by point, we need the focus as for other brands of camera.
Thank you for passing the message to your engineers and sales management and strategy wacky. cordially
2018-10-26
Use props
iambryan
New
Malaysia

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-10-8 01:20
Hi PhilippHa, sorry for the difficulties on connection, when using MCC-Multi, please note the following tips:
1. After connecting the cable, be sure to power on the Ronin-S before the camera. Otherwise, the Ronin-S does not recognize the camera.
If the camera is not recognized, restart the camera or remove and reconnect the cable to the camera.

Dear Mindy . Im having connectivity issues with the ronin s to a7s ii . ive tried all of the steps above but im still getting a 'check the device connected' issue and sometimes its just stuck on connecting screen on my sony when i changed the usb port to auto. Could you help me with this ? Thanks in advance.
2018-10-26
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

iambryan Posted at 2018-10-26 14:52
Dear Mindy . Im having connectivity issues with the ronin s to a7s ii . ive tried all of the steps above but im still getting a 'check the device connected' issue and sometimes its just stuck on connecting screen on my sony when i changed the usb port to auto. Could you help me with this ? Thanks in advance.

Hi iambryan, sorry for the troubles, may I know which cable you are using?
2018-10-28
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

WeGo Productions Posted at 2018-10-26 08:34
Hello Mindy, ok we cross our fingers so that it comes quickly. The most urgent and the simplest being to give us the opportunity to focus with the focus wheel, really sincerely zoom all videographers and filmmakers do not care with this tool, one and too loing? we change focus simply or zooming by hand, it is to make the imitation stable Ronin S with followed by point, we need the focus as for other brands of camera.
Thank you for passing the message to your engineers and sales management and strategy wacky. cordially

I understand your concern, please don't worry, we will transfer your need to our engineers for attention.
2018-10-28
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

AVsupport Posted at 2018-10-24 21:14
Confirming MMC functionality for A6300 users [FW 1.05.00.45 ]:
working:
STOP / START recording

Hi AVsupport, Pulling Focus is still not available for Sony cameras, please note the future update.
The gimbal can power the camera, but Ronin-S DC Power Cable will need to be purchased, please check more details here: https://store.dji.com/product/ronin-s-dc-power-cable
2018-10-29
Use props
AVsupport
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

Hi Mindy,
Yes I am hoping DJI engineers can get Sony focus lens code, sometime, wishful thinking ;-) good luck!
I have posted on Sony forum to please release lens focus codes to DJI.
https://us.community.sony.com/s/question/0D50B0000511u0ASAQ/pz-18105-how-to-externally-access-all-zoom-speeds-on-a-a6xxx-or-a7x
https://us.community.sony.com/s/question/0D50B0000512JPZSA2/
Re charging cable, I know this exists now (than you), via a Dummy Battery, but I was hoping for USB charging via MCC cable. A6300 can charge via USB. This should be possible.
Dummy battery system is not always useful when changing shooting styles / rig.
2018-10-29
Use props
Rayvur
lvl.2
Netherlands

hazz Posted at 2018-10-23 19:52
they say it will zoom in and out but mine doesn't work with the 18-105 f4 OSS which is on their list of supported lenses. With my prime lens on the other hand, it uses the clear image zoom in the camera and kinda works. (a6500)

As you can see here.

Got the exact same issue with my 6300 and 18-105 f4 OSS.  No smooth zooming when pulling that wheel! Bought a frigging cable 43 Euro's for what, just a shutter button?!
2018-10-31
Use props
Mikex
lvl.3
Ukraine

Guys, I want to know, is follow focus working with new cable on Sony A7 III I?
2018-10-31
Use props
djiuser_oTJrGfDXGiIU
lvl.2
Belgium

Mikex Posted at 10-31 23:51
Guys, I want to know, is follow focus working with new cable on Sony A7 III I?

Nope.

I wouldn't count on it to happen for a while either. DJI remains very vague about the whole thing.
2018-11-1
Use props
fansdb638b66
lvl.1
Flight distance : 283317 ft
United Kingdom

Hello,

So I have a Ronin S and Sony A7riii with the latest firmware on both. I just received my MCC-Multi cable from DJI. I followed DJI instructions but connecting the cable to both devices, switched on the Ronin first and then the Sony camera. Unfortunately Ronin S is not recognising the camera. I have tried several times by switching off, removing the cable and restarting but no luck.

Can you please advice what I need to do to make this work? Is there a special setting on the Sony A7riii menu?

thanks,
Alex
2018-11-2
Use props
AVsupport
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

once you made sure you're using the proper (straight) Sony MCC,
also check if 'Camera: SONY' is selected in the Ronin App.
2018-11-2
Use props
fansdb638b66
lvl.1
Flight distance : 283317 ft
United Kingdom

AVsupport Posted at 11-2 15:28

Hi I can't find anywhere on the Ronin App that I can change the Camera to Sony, where exactly is it in the app?
2018-11-4
Use props
djiuser_WpJOHizPC7rG
New

United States

This is not the IR wire but the LED for night light book reading.
2018-11-9
Use props
djiuser_WpJOHizPC7rG
New

United States

So, I've got this massive dildo without controls to Sony a. Great job DJI, great job!
Returning Ronins-S back to B&H for the refund. I don't need a prototype.
Hey DJI, hire one decent videographer and take notes from him if you can't add 1+1 to get a 2. AND replace your product development department with real engineers.
2018-11-9
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

AVsupport Posted at 11-2 15:28

Hi AVsupport, only with the ISS-IR cable, we will need to select the correct camera model in the APP, with the USB control cable, no need to select it, thanks for your support anyway.
2018-11-9
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

djiuser_WpJOHizPC7rG Posted at 11-9 22:34
So, I've got this massive dildo without controls to Sony a. Great job DJI, great job!
Returning Ronins-S back to B&H for the refund. I don't need a prototype.
Hey DJI, hire one decent videographer and take notes from him if you can't add 1+1 to get a 2. AND replace your product development department with real engineers.

Hi there, we sincerely apologize for the unpleasant experience with our product, we understand there are still many things we need to improve and our engineers are also working very hard on it, may I have more details of the troubles with Ronin-S, what cable you are using?
2018-11-9
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

fansdb638b66 Posted at 11-2 07:45
Hello,

So I have a Ronin S and Sony A7riii with the latest firmware on both. I just received my MCC-Multi cable from DJI. I followed DJI instructions but connecting the cable to both devices, switched on the Ronin first and then the Sony camera. Unfortunately Ronin S is not recognising the camera. I have tried several times by switching off, removing the cable and restarting but no luck.

Alex, we have replied your own thread, if you need further assistance, please keep us updated in your thread, we will keep following up, thank you.
2018-11-9
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Mikex, pulling focus is still not available for Sony model cameras, if there is any update, we will release in our website, sorry for the inconvenience caused.
2018-11-9
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Rayvur Posted at 10-31 10:19
Got the exact same issue with my 6300 and 18-105 f4 OSS.  No smooth zooming when pulling that wheel! Bought a frigging cable 43 Euro's for what, just a shutter button?!

Hi Rayvur, with the PZ lens, the zoom speed may be delayed, we have been aware of this and will keep optimizing the zoom performance in the future firmware, sorry for the inconvenience caused.
2018-11-9
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

AVsupport Posted at 10-29 19:17
Hi Mindy,
Yes I am hoping DJI engineers can get Sony focus lens code, sometime, wishful thinking ;-) good luck!
I have posted on Sony forum to please release lens focus codes to DJI.

Thank you so much for your suggestion, we will transfer your need to our engineers for attention in the future development.
2018-11-10
Use props
fans24068597
lvl.1

United States

There is a new cable "MultiCamera Control Cable (Multi-USB) take care of most the issues posted here.  I just got it today have not figured out the zoom yet but everything seems t obe ok.  I Got mine from Ebay (Hong Kong) took 3 weeks to get here.  The Seller advertizes ~5 days, they lied.
2018-11-10
Use props
JF
lvl.1
France

No. Digital Zoom is working when camera is not recording. During recording, zoom digital is not working.
2018-11-10
Use props
Fat.man
New
Australia

Is there a way to power a Sony Alpha RII via the DC power cable straight into the USB Micro?
2018-11-13
Use props
djiuser_3GK1Lu89DT2f
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I can control my Sony a6300 using the mcc-b cable go into settings and set PC remote and it works fine just can’t use the focus wheel tho
2018-11-14
Use props
fans24068597
lvl.1

United States

There is a new that addresses most of these issues, I got it last week and works great
Read about it here:
2018-11-17
Use props
CaptBellio
lvl.1
Canada

DJI Mindy Posted at 11-9 23:08
Hi there, we sincerely apologize for the unpleasant experience with our product, we understand there are still many things we need to improve and our engineers are also working very hard on it, may I have more details of the troubles with Ronin-S, what cable you are using?

It seems really odd that you would put out a product that you are AWARE has "Many things" that need to be improved, which is a nice way of saying they don't work the way they were sold to your customers. I get that tech companies have been doing this for years and getting away with it so I guess we shouldn't be all that surprised.
2018-11-18
Use props
WeGo Productions
lvl.2
France

Hello Mindy, when can we expect the update to be able to use the pulling focus on the Sony Alpha 7 when is it? It's been a long time since we waited for it, very long now ... Thank you for your return
2018-11-22
Use props
justamacguy
lvl.1
Flight distance : 22657 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ok... after beating myself up all night I have finally figured out how the make the Sony A7iii zoom with the focus wheel. On iOS app tap Create, then tap Camera, it should say Sony under Camera. Then tap Zoom Speed and set it to FAST.

The SLOW speed just plain doesn't work. The FAST speed need some work done on it to make it more precise, but at least I have a zoom now.
2018-11-23
Use props
fansd93122b6
lvl.1
Flight distance : 26608 ft
Germany

mc8claud Posted at 10-2 17:40
So, I've bought the cable, and it doesn't work with my Sony A7III ((

Same here. Even the plug doesn't fit.
2018-12-6
Use props
donskoidenys
lvl.1
Ukraine

Hi guys.
I purchase new MCC cable for my Ronin S / Sony A6500 / Sony 18-105.
Start/Stop button work correctly, but unfortunately zoom didnt work, look video https://photos.app.goo.gl/SZYR9wPJ7aJs47WG8
Zoom response, but veeery veeery slooow.
Are there ways to fix this?
2018-12-19
Use props
OlivierMELY
lvl.1
France

Hello,
I've just receive last week my brand new Ronin S and it's a really great tool !

I'm trying to interfec it with my Sony A7RIII with the usb cable provided but no way to do it. The Sony always display "Check your connected device".

I've setup the usb connection to "PC Remote", usb power on "Off" and the "Remote control" to "ON".

I've also the last new software version of the Sony, the 2.10.
And I've also the last firmware for the Ronin.

Could you explain me why I can't make these 2 guys discuss together ?
Why can't I interface them together ?

Thanks in advance for your rpompt answer,
Olivier (from France !).
2018-12-19
Use props
donskoidenys
lvl.1
Ukraine

OlivierMELY Posted at 12-19 23:57
Hello,
I've just receive last week my brand new Ronin S and it's a really great tool !

you need another cable like MCC, its not included
2018-12-20
Use props
OlivierMELY
lvl.1
France

Hello,
but I have a cable provided with my Ronin S box that allow connection between the Multi port of my Sony A7RIII and the Ronin S.

Isn't it the right cable ?

Olivier.
2018-12-20
Use props
donskoidenys
lvl.1
Ukraine

OlivierMELY Posted at 12-20 07:54
Hello,
but I have a cable provided with my Ronin S box that allow connection between the Multi port of my Sony A7RIII and the Ronin S.

please check, on you cable have "MCC MULTI" like this https://store.dji.com/product/ronin-s-camera-control-cable-multi ?
maybe no, so you need another cable, you cable is old
2018-12-20
Use props
OlivierMELY
lvl.1
France

Hello,
I've checked and the 2 usb cales I have in my Ronin S box are both angled when the one for the Sony seems to be straight... so I've just ordered one for my Sony.

But it's a pity this Sony cable isn't included in the Ronin S box, maybe th eone I bought was packed long ago so not updated with cables.

I hope future byers will have th echance to get their Sony cable in the box (for the same rate..;).

Will get back to you when I'll have my cable, to check if it works !
Thanks for your help anyway,
Olivier.
2018-12-20
Use props
donskoidenys
lvl.1
Ukraine

OlivierMELY Posted at 12-20 09:32
Hello,
I've checked and the 2 usb cales I have in my Ronin S box are both angled when the one for the Sony seems to be straight... so I've just ordered one for my Sony.

On this forum, it was already discussed that from the side of dji it is very bad not to give the right cable but to ask for it additional money. But do not hope, at the moment only the record button is working correctly for Sony.
2018-12-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules