Questions not answered in the user manual...
657 5 2018-6-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
niswanger
lvl.1

United States

Hi,

First post here.  I'm "testing" out the DJI Osmo with my Galaxy S8 phone and I've just finished a few days at our "Scouts BSA" summer camp and I have a few questions about it that I can't find the answers to here in the user manual:  http://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/o ... _Manual_en_1125.pdf

Preface:  When I fired up the camera for the first time with an sd card and installed the DJI Go app from the android play store about 4 days ago it prompted me to update the firmware, in which case I did and it's flashed the fw just fine.  So I'm assumning it's latest fw version unless a new one was released in the past 4 days.  Sorry I don't have the dji Osmo with me now.  Also, I'm a semi-pro DLSR shooter and avid still post editor with LR/CS6.  I've also shot a lot of 1080/60P footage with a GoPro Hero 4 Black and my Canon EOS 5D MkII (30fps on it) and I've used Sony Vegas for years.  Now onto my quesitons:

1.  Gimbal tracking...I've tried slow/med/fast and fiddled some with custom settings, then reset back to defaults.  The gimbal seems to mostly track but what I'm not finding it does well is point the direction of "down" when I want it to.  For example, I want to to point at an imaginary line coming straight out of the camera lens that is perpendicular to the handle.  so when the handle is perfectly vertical the lens should point at the horizon...and in this case it does.  But when say I put the handle at 45 degrees down, it's very slow and often doesn't fully reach that direction.  Basically, it doesn't seem to perform well when pointing up/down.  I've done calibrations several times.

2.  When I set the shooting settings in the app, record some footage, then power down the camera and app and then come back later or the next day and only power on the camera (no app used), is it in fact shooting with the exact same settings as I left w/in the app (EV/Manual/shutter 1/120th/ISO/etc. etc.)?  If not then what does it shoot at and can I make it so it does shoot as the camera settings were last in the app?

3.  There's a section at the end of the user manual about sharing you "masterpieces" but only with a DJI account.  This caught me by suprise because I started noticing all stills and video clips stored on my phone's local storage using my default gallery.  So I decided to take a closer look at the clips and look at the properties and I notice all the 1080/60P clips are stored on my phone ast 720P clips (not sure the frame rate).  Why is this?  Can I set it to also copy to my phone's local storage in-kind?  If not, then to me it seems like wasted resource and I would rather just not have any data copied to my phone, so can I turn this off?

4.  At the latest FW version, are there any limitations on using 3rd party batteries?

5.  Setting the camera fan to default on while recording obvisouly produces unwanted sound.  This is why the user can either choose to auto turn fan off during recording or use an external mic.  I, for now, plan to set the fan to turn off for recording.  I plan to record 1080/60P only for usually no more than max 30 second clips.  Any danger in doing this?  Again, max 30seconds with at least 1 minute rest.  Most of the time 10-20 second clips with 1-2 min rests.

6.  Is there transcoding software for the H.264 MP4 files provided by dji ex. Cinform avi etc. just like what GoPro did with GoPro studio mainly for post NLEs?  Basically I want to use Sony Vegas to post process these clips from the dji Osmo.

7.  It's quite obvisous I need an ND filter to record outdoor in bright conditions to maintain a shutter of 1/120th when filming in 60fps.  Any recommendation on make/model filter?  Ones to avoid?  I don't want too harsh color cast.

8.  Last question, not really applicable to not being in the manual.  But I've seen these cool facebook image posts that ore 360 degree inneractive shots.  Can I do this with the dji Osmo and if so how?

Thank you,
Roy Niswanger
2018-6-14
Use props
niswanger
lvl.1

United States

...adding more questions.  After searching the forum, like I did for all previous questions (yes I found some related but they were either A.  ancient and didn't want to resurrect them.  OR  B.  Not fully applicable.):

9.  The 360 degree pano is giving me trouble like so many.  It will take and produce 180, but only takes then "tries" to produce 360 and just craps out.  I have a Samsung Galaxy S8 and it's lean, meaning well over 16 gigs of free internal space (plus 20 of 32gb free on micro SD), and RAM free is about as much as I can after cleaning memory I am usually at about 1.5gb free.  I've cleared cache and data on dji go app and still it hangs at about 25% rendering 360 panos.    So my question is how to I make it such that it doesn't try to compile and only takes the shots?  This is what I'm hearing to do but I look in the local storage and on the microSD and the stills are just not there.  Need some help here.

Thanks,
Roy
2018-6-15
Use props
niswanger
lvl.1

United States

Well this forum isn't helpful at all (silence).  Easy format here to answer for ex. #2 Use the search function or paste a good search link or just say I'm wrong look here etc. etc.    Anyway, I'm logging out, using this unit once more on the Oregon coast next week.  It will suffice.  For now my biggest complaints are:  1.  servo noise picked up with the internal mic.  2.  Seems full resolution data recorded to micro SD card is NOT transfered to the phone for immediate sharing, this provokes me to have to wait until I can share directly off the micro sd card.  3.  the gimbal behavior drifts a lot and often need a double-trigger to recenter and doesn't wan to track well downwards.  4.  Page 17 of the user manual says "Pano, camera will rotate 360 degrees and is is false, it needs to be corrected.  

So I will answer my own questions:

#1 no fix, it's how the gimbal operates

#2 haven't had time to test, I sure hope the settings are "sticky" after setting with app and then using camera w/o app????

#3  I think my experience is spot on...too bad.

#4  I have read so based on a recent firmware version

#5  Get a Rhode video mic with cat tail/fur sock...period.

#6  Using GoPro Studio to convert to Cinform avi highest quality.  Only downside is I can't pre-clip/trim source files before transcoding...anyone know a work-around to this?  

#7  Did my own test:  

#8  Found the local stored images under a folder on micro sd card, so I'm good but the dji go app doesn't work well enough to generate the panos so I need to find another post-processing app to generate them.

#9  See #8

Bye
Roy
2018-6-18
Use props
mrbill
lvl.4
Flight distance : 717100 ft
United Kingdom

I’ve only just got my Osmo, but I can tell you that the full res video files you’ve recorded are on the camera micro sd card - the device feeds your phone with a 720p feed, and it’s this that gets recorded on your phone, just like DJI’s drone products. Turn video caching off in the settings if you don’t want to record this feed.
2018-6-30
Use props
mrbill
lvl.4
Flight distance : 717100 ft
United Kingdom

As far as filters go, I couldn’t recommend the polar pro nd32pl - it’s got a really bad colour cast. I also have the DJI nd8 and nd16, which are clean
2018-7-2
Use props
Judic
lvl.4
Ukraine

Regarding recording sound - as a quick workaround  I record it on the same phone I use to control my Osmo.
2018-7-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules