Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
What is a good limit for acceptable winds to fly in?
739 7 2018-6-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
david_eberhardt
lvl.2
Flight distance : 51486 ft

Winds here today are 10 mph gusting to 21 mph. I usually fly when the winds are a bit calmer and I'm a little nervous to fly in stronger winds.
Do you think these winds are a little too strong or have you flown P4P in similar or even stronger winds?

2018-6-14
Use props
S.D. Pilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

Should be fine. I've flown those wind conditions and the P4P held up well. Kept it mostly in "Sports Mode' though.
2018-6-14
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

It's not so simple.
The answer depends on what you want to do and what direction the wind is.
If you just need to photograph a house and won't fly far, the Phantom can easily handle 20+ mph winds - although you might need a sheltered launch point.
But if you want to fly 2 miles away downwind, the Phantom might not make it back.
However it could fly slowly in the other direction and would have an easy return flight with the wind assisting.
2018-6-14
Use props
david_eberhardt
lvl.2
Flight distance : 51486 ft

Thanks for the answers. I just did a little more research using UAV Forecast and it showed gusts up towards 25 mph later this morning and a "NO" in the "Good to fly" column.
Then I changed the altitude to 300 ft ( my Litchi mission planned altitude) and it shows gusts in the 40's! A definite NO-GO for me.

Great forum as I found the info on UAV Forecast in a similar thread here.  
2018-6-14
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi thank you for reaching DJI forum,  the maximum speed resistance is 10m/s .
2018-6-14
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Labroides has the best advice.  Just use common sense and you'll be fine.
2018-6-14
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

I don't worry too much about gusts.  
2018-6-14
Use props
luciens
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

The limit in the docs translates to about 23mph and I'd say that's about right for when the machine is getting towards its limits. It also is about the minimum wind I usually have to fly in, and usually with gusts higher than that. The aircraft is able to handle it ok, but with the really strong gusts you might get a little bit of camera shake.

I can't remember the last time I didn't see "Wind too strong, fly with caution...." in yellow letters on the goggles screen, but generally it handles it ok.

More than 25mph though and it's kind of futile and that's when I get out my helicopter...

2018-6-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules