Phone Battery Dies/Charging Issues Since DJI Go 4 Installed
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mark Weiss
lvl.4
United States

For the past month, my phone's been refusing to charge and the battery has been running down much faster than normal. At lunch time, I had 58%. By 1:45, the phone had shut down with 0%. I put it on the charger and it charged to 1% and stopped charging.

I've been researching the issue and the one cause that keeps coming up is misbehaving apps. Since DJI Go 4 is the only new app I've installed on my phone in about a year, all suspicion points to it.

The nasty part is that not only does the battery drain quickly, but it won't keep charging when I put it on the charger. It charges for about 2 minutes and then stops.

I was keeping DJI Go 4 on my phone as a backup in case Crystal Sky becomes unusable and I need to get my drone home, but now I'm thinking I need to delete that puppy if I want to use my phone normally and charge the battery.
2018-6-14
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi thank you for reaching DJI forum and we do apologize if you are having issues with the DJI GO 4,  may we know the brand or make of your mobile device?  Below is the list of the compatible devices.  

2018-6-14
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

How old is your phone?  Sounds like it may be time for a new battery.
2018-6-14
Use props
Mark Weiss
lvl.4
United States

ALABAMA Posted at 2018-6-14 12:18
How old is your phone?  Sounds like it may be time for a new battery.

I got it for Christmas 18 months ago.
2018-6-14
Use props
Hurley1718
Second Officer
Flight distance : 549295 ft
  • >>>
United States

It seems like the default USB selection has been changed. Under settings and then applications you want to reset all of the default actions when a USB is plugged in. Your phone might be thinking that when you plug in a USB cable you want to use the DJI Go4 app instead of charging.
2018-6-14
Use props
Mark Weiss
lvl.4
United States

Hurley1718 Posted at 2018-6-14 17:46
It seems like the default USB selection has been changed. Under settings and then applications you want to reset all of the default actions when a USB is plugged in. Your phone might be thinking that when you plug in a USB cable you want to use the DJI Go4 app instead of charging.

I'm not using the USB port. It's a wirelessly charged phone. My wife's Note 5 charges normally on this charger, but mine won't charge on either mine or her charger.
2018-6-14
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

For battery issues

1st off, are you making sure DJI Go app is actually closed and not sitting there in the background, always best to either reboot the phone or do a maintenance run to clear the ram after using it.

But, i suspect that you are not getting enough charge using the wireless charger, never used one myself, try to charge it the proper way and see if there is any difference, it does sound like a dud battery though and its not unheard of after 18 months....
2018-6-14
Use props
Mark Weiss
lvl.4
United States

Bashy Posted at 2018-6-14 19:33
For battery issues

1st off, are you making sure DJI Go app is actually closed and not sitting there in the background, always best to either reboot the phone or do a maintenance run to clear the ram after using it.

With Android, it seems NOTHING is closed--everything is running or snooping in the background. On the Android forum, they are saying that battery charging issues are often caused by misbehaving apps. I've tried clearing the cache partition several times this month, but the phone still won't charge for more than a minute.

Up til a month ago, wireless charging worked great. Would charge my phone from 15% to full in just 90 minutes.
2018-6-15
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mark Weiss Posted at 2018-6-15 06:00
With Android, it seems NOTHING is closed--everything is running or snooping in the background. On the Android forum, they are saying that battery charging issues are often caused by misbehaving apps. I've tried clearing the cache partition several times this month, but the phone still won't charge for more than a minute.

Up til a month ago, wireless charging worked great. Would charge my phone from 15% to full in just 90 minutes.

I ok, highly doubtful it's the dji app, uninstall. It and see if it charges OK, I myself thi K ya wireless charging ain't work g properly with your phone, I cannot advise as I do not use wireless with my note 5
2018-6-15
Use props
Mark Weiss
lvl.4
United States

Bashy Posted at 2018-6-15 10:29
I ok, highly doubtful it's the dji app, uninstall. It and see if it charges OK, I myself thi K ya wireless charging ain't work g properly with your phone, I cannot advise as I do not use wireless with my note 5

I'm skeptical about how an app can affect charging too--especially when the phone is off. But one time I was able to charge the phone by booting it in 'safe mode', per recommendations to see if an app was causing the charger to stop after some minutes.
2018-6-15
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

did you try uninstalling the app yet? i still say its the charging side of things, not the app, its just a coincidence that it started playing up the same time, but, ive been known to be wrong on many occasion...
2018-6-15
Use props
Mark Weiss
lvl.4
United States

Bashy Posted at 2018-6-15 20:34
did you try uninstalling the app yet? i still say its the charging side of things, not the app, its just a coincidence that it started playing up the same time, but, ive been known to be wrong on many occasion...

Not yet, because I need the phone as a backup in case Crystal Sky dies on me while the drone is in the air.

I know, it could have been a firmware security update that got quietly pushed to the phone during the night. I know the various apps update automatically without my permission all the time.
2018-6-16
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Mark Weiss Posted at 2018-6-14 18:28
I'm not using the USB port. It's a wirelessly charged phone. My wife's Note 5 charges normally on this charger, but mine won't charge on either mine or her charger.

'My wife's Note 5 charges normally on this charger, but mine won't charge on either mine or her charger.'

That is a problem with your phone. It has nothing to do with DJI Go4. I am guessing your phone is a Samsung? If so, have you changed the protectvie case or sleeve on it lately? The Samsung phones often will not charge with a protective case on them because it lifts the phone off the wireless charger too far. Try taking the cover off to charge it.
2018-6-16
Use props
Mark Weiss
lvl.4
United States

Geebax Posted at 2018-6-16 15:59
'My wife's Note 5 charges normally on this charger, but mine won't charge on either mine or her charger.'

That is a problem with your phone. It has nothing to do with DJI Go4. I am guessing your phone is a Samsung? If so, have you changed the protectvie case or sleeve on it lately? The Samsung phones often will not charge with a protective case on them because it lifts the phone off the wireless charger too far. Try taking the cover off to charge it.

Nope. No changes to the phone, except installing the DJI Go 4 app. The phone may have undergone hidden software updates that occur automatically, but nothing was done to it with my knowledge. I've had the same plastic protector case as when the phone was new. It has not been a problem in the first 17 months of ownership. That it suddenly won't charge on the wireless charger is an unexplained mystery now.
2018-6-16
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Mark Weiss Posted at 2018-6-16 17:04
Nope. No changes to the phone, except installing the DJI Go 4 app. The phone may have undergone hidden software updates that occur automatically, but nothing was done to it with my knowledge. I've had the same plastic protector case as when the phone was new. It has not been a problem in the first 17 months of ownership. That it suddenly won't charge on the wireless charger is an unexplained mystery now.

OK. Just try taking the cover off and charge it to see if it works. I discovered this one purely by accident. I can assure you, the Go App has nothing to do with the charging of the phone.
2018-6-16
Use props
Mark Weiss
lvl.4
United States

Geebax Posted at 2018-6-16 17:26
OK. Just try taking the cover off and charge it to see if it works. I discovered this one purely by accident. I can assure you, the Go App has nothing to do with the charging of the phone.

Why would it suddenly need to have the cover off in order to charge? It does start charging when I put it down on the base, but the next morning the battery is dead and the base is blinking. So it begins charging for some minutes, and I walk away, thinking all is well with it charging, only to find out that it stopped charging after a short time.
2018-6-16
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Mark Weiss Posted at 2018-6-16 19:05
Why would it suddenly need to have the cover off in order to charge? It does start charging when I put it down on the base, but the next morning the battery is dead and the base is blinking. So it begins charging for some minutes, and I walk away, thinking all is well with it charging, only to find out that it stopped charging after a short time.

It can happen because the distance between the phone and the charging pad is critical, so the thickness of the protective cover can affect charging. But I am not saying that is the problem, it is just something to try. In any event, the DJI Go 4 App has nothing whatsoever to do with the issue. It sounds more like a problem with your phone battery.
2018-6-16
Use props
Jimmy hoffa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1824291 ft
  • >>>

My back up note 5 is fine with dji go 4....maybe u need a warranty on yours sounds like battery is toast...
2018-6-16
Use props
Mark Weiss
lvl.4
United States

Geebax Posted at 2018-6-16 19:16
It can happen because the distance between the phone and the charging pad is critical, so the thickness of the protective cover can affect charging. But I am not saying that is the problem, it is just something to try. In any event, the DJI Go 4 App has nothing whatsoever to do with the issue. It sounds more like a problem with your phone battery.

That would imply that the thickness of my phone's protective cover increased suddenly this month. Why did it work all the 18 months prior and stop working a month ago? If the case were the problem, I would have been unable to charge from day one of ownership.
Unfortunately, there's no information from the manufacturer about this problem or its cause, which maintains the mystery status. If I knew what was wrong, I could take steps to correct it.
2018-6-17
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You dont seem to like to try out ideas that may help, if you post on a public forum, you have to accept that ideas and advice will differ from your own, we are only trying to narrow down and or eliminate other possibilities, thats how it works in IT, when all other ideas are exhausted, its down to the major components, battery or phone, so, you need to eliminate other possibilities \

Uninstalling DJI go would have said if its the app or not, one would be eliminated....Using a proper charger would also eminiate the wireless charging in your phone, like i suggested to try....
Now someone else suggested the protective cover, is that just a film covering on the glass on the back and front? or is it an actual case like Geebax possibly thinks you meant?
2018-6-17
Use props
Mark Weiss
lvl.4
United States

Bashy Posted at 2018-6-17 19:37
You dont seem to like to try out ideas that may help, if you post on a public forum, you have to accept that ideas and advice will differ from your own, we are only trying to narrow down and or eliminate other possibilities, thats how it works in IT, when all other ideas are exhausted, its down to the major components, battery or phone, so, you need to eliminate other possibilities \

Uninstalling DJI go would have said if its the app or not, one would be eliminated....Using a proper charger would also eminiate the wireless charging in your phone, like i suggested to try....

It's an actual plastic case, but it's the same case I've had since the phone was new.

In troubleshooting, I always look for what parameter has changed since the problem began. It is useless to start blaming things conditions that have existed outside the problem window.

In the case of the phone protective cover, if it were too thick, the charger would not initiate charge as the phone's too far from the charging coil. My problem is that after a minute or two, the phone stops charging. Although one time I was able to get it to charge by booting the phone in 'safe mode' which disables all 3rd party apps from running in the background.
2018-6-18
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Never useless to look at things that existed prior, things can break down, something in your phone could have started to break down thus making the signal weaker.

You are very adamant  its the DJI app but still you have not uninstalled it to see and rule it out.
If my phone was not charging properly, i would have done a factory restore on the 1st day if all other avenues were exhausted , that i cant tell you for free!!
You also need to realise the DJI app is not the only app that auto update ;)
I bet you still have these installed (enabled) too, even if ya dont use them..... ;)

You say it works ok when in safe mode, ok, so that points towards beings an app, what you should have done the 1st time you noticed the issue was to go on to google store and see which apps were the latest to update,  i would be surprised if its the DJI app but we cannot rule it out until you have uninstalled it, surely doing that for 5 minutes just to see aint gonna interrupt it being the backup device, (also reboot phone after uninstall)
2018-6-18
Use props
Mark Weiss
lvl.4
United States

Bashy Posted at 2018-6-18 21:03
Never useless to look at things that existed prior, things can break down, something in your phone could have started to break down thus making the signal weaker.

You are very adamant  its the DJI app but still you have not uninstalled it to see and rule it out.

As I said, I need that app as a backup in case the Crystal Sky fails while the drone is far away from me. I've also got a very busy work schedule this month, so not much time to spend hours fiddling with phones and testing trial runs of charging.

It's entirely possible that one of built in apps updated itself transparently and is causing problems. But these things take enormous amounts of time to weed out. Been there, done that.

If others are not having a problem with phone charging on this model of handset with the current DJI app, that's what I need to know. Perhaps something else updated around the same time as installation of DJI app.

A factory reset wipes all data on the phone. That would be real inconvenient, to say the least, as I'm using several apps to study Japanese language right now, and I'd lose those as well as the data and my place in the courses.

I just put the question out here to find out if others have noted a correlation with wireless charging failure and DJI app installs. You seem rather trolling for an argument than being of genuine help.
2018-6-19
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mark Weiss Posted at 2018-6-19 06:38
As I said, I need that app as a backup in case the Crystal Sky fails while the drone is far away from me. I've also got a very busy work schedule this month, so not much time to spend hours fiddling with phones and testing trial runs of charging.

It's entirely possible that one of built in apps updated itself transparently and is causing problems. But these things take enormous amounts of time to weed out. Been there, done that.

I really do not get it, are you telling me you are using the drone every waking hour? is the Cystal Sky failing that much where you cannot afford to be without the app for 30 mins whilst testing, you did say that it charges for 2 minutes then stops!!! surely you would know within 10 minutes if its the DJI app or not!!!

Yes they do or very little or somewhere in between, but if you do not try something then you will never get it resolved, there is no magic answer here, you have to actually try something!!

If others are not having a problem with phone charging on this model of handset with the current DJI app, that's what I need to know. Perhaps something else updated around the same time as installation of DJI app.

Perhaps there are very few actually using the wireless charging side of things

A factory reset wipes all data on the phone. That would be real inconvenient, to say the least, as I'm using several apps to study Japanese language right now, and I'd lose those as well as the data and my place in the courses.

Whats more inconvinient, not being able to charge the phone or spedning an evening reinstalling?

I just put the question out here to find out if others have noted a correlation with wireless charging failure and DJI app installs.

Im very sorry if my advice was of no help, perhaps if you actually tried some of the advice we have given you then maybe, just maybe, you would have gotten to the bottom of it by now, i dont know, was just a passing thought is all.

You seem rather trolling for an argument than being of genuine help.

and ouch, on that note, i'm out!

2018-6-19
Use props
rwynant V1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>
United States

WOW,   Weiss......ok,  I won't say THAT.

You must realize.......these phone companies design obsolescence INTO their phones so that when they start closing in on 2 years.....things happen, like batteries get tired along with other electronics.
We all know that our phones DO NOT last as long on a charge as they did when brand new....or even a year old.  THEY JUST DON'T STAY THE SAME FOREVER.

By taking off the plastic case, as suggested, you might see there is a "BETTER " connection for charging.

Also, as stated uninstalling the GO4 app is just another step in the search.....you can always take the 4 minutes to reinstall if that APP is NOT the issue......SIMPLE.....no need to get snotty about all the suggestions provided to you by this very knowledgeable forum.

You haven't been back in 2 days, so I hope you have figured out the issue.  It would be considered " considerate " for you to update this thread so that anyone else might find the answer.......

Randy
2018-6-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules