Question about future focus control with SONY
1442 4 2018-6-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
patryk.k
lvl.1

Poland

Hi everyone,
I do have question to anyone who might know something...

I'm interested about Ronin S to work with A7mk3.
I know that there are problems with Sony and such gimbals - as for example Zhiyun Crane 2. I guess that main functionality of Ronin is available for Sony but what is important for my is follow focus.
Probably everyone here can only guess is it will work natural in future, but my question is different.
DJI wrote that will be available additional motor to work with older/different lenses!
Will it be way to skip electronic connection between sony system and gimbal? Will it work normally from focus wheel on gimbal?

And two most important questions... When such motor will be available and what price it could be? (i know that no one can say anything for sure, but i hope that anyone from DJI could say something about that.)

I hope that everyone can understand what i mean - i'm sorry for my english skill

Best
2018-6-15
Use props
patryk.k
lvl.1

Poland

Hi, sorry for pushing, but can anyone help me?

I need to make decsision quite fast about gimbal, and unfortunatelly Zhiyun Cran 2 gives me things about i wrote before. However i would prefer DJI ronin s.
2018-6-16
Use props
bob_angie
lvl.3
Flight distance : 321519 ft

patryk.k Posted at 2018-6-16 11:06
Hi, sorry for pushing, but can anyone help me?

I need to make decsision quite fast about gimbal, and unfortunatelly Zhiyun Cran 2 gives me things about i wrote before. However i would prefer DJI ronin s.

Follow focus' traditionally only worked with manual lenses that had gears built into the lens, but with the popularity of DSLR cameras, people started creating gear attachments that you could connect to any lens allowing it to work with any follow focus. This introduces its own list of issues I won't get into, but the point is, in order for non supported lenses to work with the Ronin-s focus wheel, there will need to be an additional focus motor that needs to attach to a 15mm rail that will attach to a baseplate on the camera and plug into one of the 8 pin ports on the Ronin-S. Then you will need to place one of those gear attachments to your lens so that the focus motor can control the lens if it's not a manual cine lens with the gears built it. Dji already has a focus motor that can attach this way but is only available as a set with their focus wheel priced at $1,200 and is pretty much discontinued. this is the motor seen currently at trade shows. Individually priced at $399, they don't appear to be promoting this item currently, as I said it's pretty much discontinued and availability is probably slim or nonexistent. They do appear to be working on something they're calling "focus motor lite" which I'm assuming is the same thing as what I've described but no word on release or progress, I know other gimbal manufacturers are working on similar concepts. As for release and pricing? I'd say a good estimate is somewhere in the $299 range as this would price the "full package" Ronin-s and focus motor somewhere close to $1,000 which seemed to be the benchmark they wanted to stay under. However, there's still the additional screen and dual grip setup and probably a whole host of accessories that will be released in the future so as far as dates your guess is as good as anyones. Quarter 4 maybe? Q1 of next year? No gimbal has full compatibility with every camera and every lens so if that's what you're looking for, you won't find it, every set up has pros and trade-offs and you'll just have to find the best setup that works for you. I imagine by NAB of next yet we'll see a more complete Ronin-S with all the fixings ready to go, until then, it's a "build as you go" system, but's that's how ALL of Dji's product releases have been, there will be plenty of third-party accessories and adaptors coming but seeing as they cannot even fulfill all the orders for the Ronin-S at the moment, we'll have to wait. If you need something RIGHT NOW that fills all of your needs, you should probably buy something else and sell it and get the Ronin-S when it's ready.

Hopefully, this answers your question.

Cheers.
2018-6-16
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Patryk, we have not received any news about the time frame and price of the motos for now, sorry about this. We'll release on our website as soon as there is an update. Appreciate your attention.
2018-6-19
Use props
patryk.k
lvl.1

Poland

@bob_angie
Thx for answering.
Yes, i know about DJI Focus, but to be honest price of this comparing to prics of Ronin S is really without sense - also from what i found somewhere, focus is not compatible with ronin s.
So generally i can only wait untill DJI will finaly present full offer of accessories.

In mean time i will have to buy something else. It's a pity cause i'm already working on several DJI products :/

But anyway thanks for information @bob_angie and @DJI Susan .

2018-6-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules