Canon 5D Mark III cable for Ronin S
38013 109 2018-6-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Pedro Costa Prohens
New

Chile

fans6a950673 Posted at 2018-6-30 16:00
I got the micro to mini adapter today ($5) for my 5d iii and everything works great!  The focus wheel, video, pics.  It's amazing!

Hi! how did you make it work? I bought the same adapter but nothing happens. can you tell me the steps you took to fake the focus wheel and everything else work? please, I bought the roning S and I'm very disappointed because on the official DJI website it says that is compatible with the canon 5d Mark III and the 24-105 f4 USM L series lens but it's not true...
2018-8-4
Use props
Pedro Costa Prohens
New

Chile

Greene HDTV Posted at 2018-7-3 19:37
In regards to using the Ronin S with the Canon 5D MKIII...

I just took possession of a new Ronin S two days ago.  It is heavy and very well built.  After reading up on anything I could find, I have completed the following:

Hi, how did you updated the firmware on the canon and ronin? could you tell me the steps to do it properly? thaks
2018-8-4
Use props
djiuser_VYFv0gGLbz5q
New

fans6a950673 Posted at 2018-6-18 11:40
Any updates? If this can't trigger the video to start or take pictures with the 5d iii, I'm going to cancel my order.  I tried calling tech support and sales and no one can answer the question.  Strange that they aren't putting more details on the cameras it works with.  Just says 5d but there is a big difference between the 1-4.

This part of the gimbal is working for me after updating to the latest firmware via the DJI assistant.
2018-8-11
Use props
fanse0b55cae
lvl.1
Flight distance : 188537 ft
United States

Greene HDTV Posted at 2018-7-3 19:37
In regards to using the Ronin S with the Canon 5D MKIII...

I just took possession of a new Ronin S two days ago.  It is heavy and very well built.  After reading up on anything I could find, I have completed the following:

hello!   I have the mark 3 also.  Did you think the latest firmware on the mark 3 made the follow focus work correctly?  I'm using magic lantern and it required to downgrade my 5d3 firmware to one release lower.    the focus knob is acting weird like focusing erratically.    I did update the ronin s software this weekend and the rec/stop + auto focus half press works.
2018-8-13
Use props
filmnoob
lvl.1
United States

got this! the rec/stop works but the follow focus is acting erratically.  ronin s firmaware updated last saturday but my canon is one update behind due to magic lantern. 5d mark 3
https://www.amazon.com/gp/produc ... 0?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2018-8-13
Use props
filmnoob
lvl.1
United States

Jq4209 Posted at 2018-6-17 04:24
I purchased a Micro USB to Mini USB 2.0 Adapter for the Canon 6D Mark II and 5D Mark II and then one for the 5D Mark IV via Amazon.  I also purchased a USB-C adapter to Mini USB...none of these worked for me.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/produc ... 0?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2018-8-13
Use props
filmnoob
lvl.1
United States

samar1979 Posted at 2018-7-15 21:28
Sounds to me like with a firmware updates on both the Ronin and the 5dmark3, it's all working now.  This is good in theory, but can someone tell me how I am supposed to shoot now RAW 4K using my Magic Lantern modules now?  Canon's latest firmware does not let Magic Lantern work at all, and so I'm now caught between a rock and a hard place.... upgrade so I can use the focus wheel , or keep as is and continue to use Magic Lantern but not really able to do pro focus work on indie films.... why is it all so much give and take - why can't we have it all!!!  Does anyone have any solution to this issue?

recently learned about magic lantern until i found out from this forum that i need to update canon's latest firmware for follow focus to work.  ---
2018-8-13
Use props
fella5
lvl.1

Netherlands

Does the IR work on the 5D Mark iii?  I just got my Ronin S and set everything up, my 5D Mark iii is running v1.3.5 and the Ronin is running v01.03.00.20.  I have the EF 16-35mm f/2.8L III USM which is listed in the compatibility list and have setup the shot to use 2sec and or 10 sec timer.  I can 't get the Ronin S to take a shot or video using the gimbal or the app.  Seems like I must be missing something as a few have gotten this to work with the IR.
2018-8-26
Use props
Open Infinity
lvl.1
United States

Can anyone confirm that Ronin-S is fully working with 5D Mark iii
2018-8-28
Use props
Fotobug
lvl.1
Flight distance : 41427 ft
United States

Thank you for adapter information - I can confirm it works on the 5D MK III  and also I can control focus on a Tamron 17-35mm lens!!
2018-9-4
Use props
pappag60
lvl.1

DJI-Paul Posted at 2018-6-25 22:04
A mini USB cable will be made available for older cameras and is currently in the pre-production phase. Firmware will need to support this and is coming shortly as well.

Is the cable for follow focus camera connection canon 5dm3 available yet?
2018-9-6
Use props
libertyts
lvl.1
Australia

pappag60 Posted at 2018-9-6 05:00
Is the cable for follow focus camera connection canon 5dm3 available yet?

Any updates??? There has been very little to NO communication from DJI on this. A little disappointing, especially for those of us that purchased the Ronin-S on release. You've made a fair chunk of money from us and we aren't getting the support in return.

We need this cable, the IR Cable is NOT a solution. Just as a tree branch isn't a replacement for a leg!

I will be using it on my 80D. Same connection, same system, so shouldn't be any issues. Just need this cable released so we can all get on with creating!
2018-9-12
Use props
Jose Mª Laffitte
New

Spain

Jq4209 Posted at 2018-6-16 13:31
I am in similar situation.  I have a Canon Canon EOS 6D Mark II, EOS 5D Mark II,  and Canon EOS 5D Mark IV.  All of these cameras are listed as being supported.  What I have discovered is that none of these cameras are fully supported in this current firmware version.  I would say "are not supported", however, the RSS IR cable included with the Ronin-S does trigger the shutter for the 5D models for still images only; the RSS IR cable does not trigger the 6D Mark II at all - stills or videos.  It does not trigger video recording on any of the models whereas an IR remote control I have does.

I bought an adapter(s) for the other two cables included.  This does not work either.  It is interesting because when I attach the camera(s) to the gimbal via the MCC cables it causes the gimbal's motors to go into rest mode, and you have to restart the gimbal.  Once the gimbal is powered back on, no adjustments can be made to the camera(s)' settings (a message of "busy" is received), and the shutter button does not trigger the camera - stills or videos.

Hola, tengo una canon 5 Mark IV y no se como conectar el Ronin-S a la camara por el cable de infrarojos, puedes ayudarme?
Gracias
2018-9-13
Use props
Jq4209
lvl.3
United States

Jose Mª Laffitte Posted at 2018-9-13 12:23
Hola, tengo una canon 5 Mark IV y no se como conectar el Ronin-S a la camara por el cable de infrarojos, puedes ayudarme?
Gracias

Puede usar el cable tipo MCC "C" en lugar del cable IR. Asegúrese de elegir su tipo de cámara en la aplicación Ronin-S.
2018-9-14
Use props
Drone 4K
lvl.3
Canada

so , is it working without any cable problem now (or any other problem) for Canon 5d mark III please?
Thanks
2018-9-15
Use props
djiuser_2VB88Nzh2GJf
New

Argentina

fans1eaa4c60 Posted at 2018-7-14 03:00
Hey mate, yep - first things first, ensure you have the latest firmware installed for BOTH your 6D II (v1.0.4) and your Ronin-S (1.2.0.1). Then, connect the RSS-IR cable from the Ronin S to the camera, setting the IR cable as close as possible to the sensor. Turn off your bluetooth on your 6D II, turn the camera off, turn the ronin off, then turn everything back on. Once everything is back on, to take a photo from the Ronin-S, ensure you have the self timer mode selected on your 6D II and it'll start working. For video, just switch to video and it'll work. Half pressing the Ronin shutter to focus doesn't work as yet from my testing (this is what I'm also asking DJI Paul about) and likewise for the follow focus wheel. Hope that helps. If not and you're having issues, let me know what issues you're having and I'll do my best to assist. Cheers, Jim.

Hey, I’ve done everything you just said but nothings happen. I’ve try several times and nothing. I updated the firmware of both camera and ronin. I put the camera on self-timer. The ir is pointing right and really close. Any other tip or maybe something I’m missing? Thank you
2018-9-15
Use props
groovy100
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3140876 ft
  • >>>
Malta

Do any of you know whether the new firmware supports the focus ring for focus adjustment for the Canon 5D Mark II via the Mini USB connector (or a micro USB with an adapter)?
2018-10-12
Use props
Spider Video
lvl.1
Canada

NCP Posted at 2018-6-18 20:27
I was able to get the infrared cable to work, but only to start/stop video recording (with the 5D Mark III switch set to video) but it wouldn't do any focusing on half press of gimbal button.

how did you get that to work?
2018-10-19
Use props
Dronegirl1
lvl.1
Flight distance : 362956 ft
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-6-25 01:17
Please connect the RSS-IR cable to the RSS port in the gimbal, and then point the infrared light to the camera's receiver, please set the camera to Video Recording Mode and Infrared Control Mode (Self-timer Mode) to enable the camera control. Please let us know if the issue persists. Thank you.[view_image]

I’ve done as instructed with my 5d Mlll, it will take still photos. But no start/stop video or focusing. Really frustrated with DJI. I’m certainly not going to order the 20 dollar cable that causes the gimbal to go crazy and beat up my camera. What is the solution?
2018-10-27
Use props
Dronegirl1
lvl.1
Flight distance : 362956 ft
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-6-25 01:17
Please connect the RSS-IR cable to the RSS port in the gimbal, and then point the infrared light to the camera's receiver, please set the camera to Video Recording Mode and Infrared Control Mode (Self-timer Mode) to enable the camera control. Please let us know if the issue persists. Thank you.[view_image]

I’ve done as instructed with my 5d Mlll, it will take still photos. But no start/stop video or focusing. Really frustrated with DJI. I’m certainly not going to order the 20 dollar cable that causes the gimbal to go crazy and beat up my camera. What is the solution?
2018-10-27
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Dronegirl1 Posted at 2018-10-27 09:39

Hi Dronegirl1, sorry for the troubles on operating the camera, may I verify if you have selected the correct camera model in Create--Camera Control of the APP?
2018-10-28
Use props
fans6381fdf7
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Come on DJI - this is ridiculous - I had a Zhiyun Crane 2 and I can control all camera functions - Aperture, ISO, Shutter whilst recording - why can't the Ronin S do this!!! So annoying. And I can't find any other third party device to do this either The OKii can do it all, but not while recording
2018-12-8
Use props
DmytroK
lvl.4
Ukraine

Drone 4K Posted at 9-15 10:53
so , is it working without any cable problem now (or any other problem) for Canon 5d mark III please?
Thanks

Ronin S works with Canon 5d mark III, even on an old camera firmware 1.1.3 with Micro-to-Mini USB adapter and a dedicated cable. Ronin runs the latest firmware v1.7.0.60

There is one small problem, if you use Magic Lantern.
I've described it in this topic: https://forum.dji.com/thread-175177-1-1.html
2018-12-18
Use props
Jon Penn
lvl.1
United Kingdom

groovy100 Posted at 2018-10-12 02:29
Do any of you know whether the new firmware supports the focus ring for focus adjustment for the Canon 5D Mark II via the Mini USB connector (or a micro USB with an adapter)?

Hi did you get an answer on this? I have just bought a ronin s and have canon 5Dmk2 but cables supplied arent compatible. (Im still beginner with all this)
2019-1-2
Use props
paullixiao
New
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-10-28 02:18
Hi Dronegirl1, sorry for the troubles on operating the camera, may I verify if you have selected the correct camera model in Create--Camera Control of the APP?

Okay this is what worked for me guys. In the App you have to select Camera as Canon. Then the infrared works for starting/stopping record video...
2019-1-3
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

paullixiao@hotm Posted at 1-3 21:39
Okay this is what worked for me guys. In the App you have to select Camera as Canon. Then the infrared works for starting/stopping record video...

Hi paullixiao, yes, that is the trick, please let us know if you have a further concern.
2019-1-4
Use props
360* Photograh
New
United States

I just bought the Ronin S for a video shoot next weekend. Was told the same thing, that the Ronin s was comparable and came with all the cables needed. Went to set everything up today and no cable for the Canon 5d mark iii. Went to Best Buy nothing, not even an adapter. Went to the Micro Center and they didn't have this. Came home and updated firmware on the Camera and the Ronin, third the IR cable and don't work. Looks like no shoot for next weekend. Or I go return and get the crane 2. Very dis satisfied with DJI in this. How hard would it be to add the one extra cable !?
2019-3-2
Use props
djiuser_C9naKNg4dFWN
New

United States

DJI-Paul Posted at 2018-6-29 21:13
At the moment, 6D has not been implemented yet.

Canon 6D here.  Mine seems to need your 8 pin cable to HDMI to utilize the connection features.  Is that available to purchase?
2019-3-2
Use props
ManOfMysore
New

India

NCP Posted at 2018-6-29 16:14
I just tested out the new firmware and cable combination DJI-Paul mentioned, and can confirm it works. My 5D Mark III now has auto focus ability thru the record button on the grip and the focus dial also works now.

There are some small quirks still, but very happy it is working now.

Thanks for the update.

I have Canon 80D - Will the above method what you used works with 80d?

Also were you able to use Timelapse and motion-lapse?
2019-6-24
Use props
ManOfMysore
New

India

Hello All,

PFB Youtube link of Aerial footage of Nandi Hills - On top of clouds.On top of clouds - Aerial Footage
2019-6-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules