Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Canon 5D Mark III cable for Ronin S
105993 105993 2018-6-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
NCP
lvl.2
United States

Received the new Ronin S yesterday and was disappointed to discover that the included cables don't work with my Canon 5D Mark III, even though it was listed as compatible. It ships with a micro USB cable, but the 5D Mark III needs a mini USB connection.

I'm looking into purchasing a Micro to Mini USB adapter, but not sure if that will work or if it may possibly damage my camera?

Wondering if anyone has had any luck connecting connecting to their 5D?
2018-6-15
Use props
Mad_Angler1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2741657 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Does the MMC cable not fit ?
2018-6-16
Use props
PlamSam
lvl.1

Very disappointing. The focus wheel was the only reason I got the thing. Please update if you find a work-around.
2018-6-16
Use props
Jq4209
lvl.3
United States

I am in similar situation.  I have a Canon Canon EOS 6D Mark II, EOS 5D Mark II,  and Canon EOS 5D Mark IV.  All of these cameras are listed as being supported.  What I have discovered is that none of these cameras are fully supported in this current firmware version.  I would say "are not supported", however, the RSS IR cable included with the Ronin-S does trigger the shutter for the 5D models for still images only; the RSS IR cable does not trigger the 6D Mark II at all - stills or videos.  It does not trigger video recording on any of the models whereas an IR remote control I have does.

I bought an adapter(s) for the other two cables included.  This does not work either.  It is interesting because when I attach the camera(s) to the gimbal via the MCC cables it causes the gimbal's motors to go into rest mode, and you have to restart the gimbal.  Once the gimbal is powered back on, no adjustments can be made to the camera(s)' settings (a message of "busy" is received), and the shutter button does not trigger the camera - stills or videos.

I contacted DJI's support, and "Van Norbert" writes: Some of the support functions is not yet available on the current firmware.  Please upgrade to the latest firmware once it is available.  

So, for those of us who purchased the Ronin-S, I suppose we wait for a firmware to see IF this resolves these issues.
2018-6-16
Use props
djiuser_qhKP4fh8N2Eg
New

I have no issue with the IR cable start and stopping recording on the 5D mark IV as long as the 5D has Remote control enabled in the menu. I can’t get the 1Dx II to work with the IR cable on the other hand.
2018-6-16
Use props
sumoadam
lvl.2
United States

djiuser_qhKP4fh8N2Eg Posted at 2018-6-16 16:11
I have no issue with the IR cable start and stopping recording on the 5D mark IV as long as the 5D has Remote control enabled in the menu. I can’t get the 1Dx II to work with the IR cable on the other hand.

I spent hours trying to figure out connecting to a 1dx2, no luck.  The 1d series don't have IR sensors so out of luck I guess until a ronin firmware upgrade.  I just watched a video where a guy wasted hours with a Sony a7iii since he couldn't use the micro usb but rather the IR cable.
2018-6-16
Use props
NCP
lvl.2
United States

Jq4209 Posted at 2018-6-16 13:31
I am in similar situation.  I have a Canon Canon EOS 6D Mark II, EOS 5D Mark II,  and Canon EOS 5D Mark IV.  All of these cameras are listed as being supported.  What I have discovered is that none of these cameras are fully supported in this current firmware version.  I would say "are not supported", however, the RSS IR cable included with the Ronin-S does trigger the shutter for the 5D models for still images only; the RSS IR cable does not trigger the 6D Mark II at all - stills or videos.  It does not trigger video recording on any of the models whereas an IR remote control I have does.

I bought an adapter(s) for the other two cables included.  This does not work either.  It is interesting because when I attach the camera(s) to the gimbal via the MCC cables it causes the gimbal's motors to go into rest mode, and you have to restart the gimbal.  Once the gimbal is powered back on, no adjustments can be made to the camera(s)' settings (a message of "busy" is received), and the shutter button does not trigger the camera - stills or videos.

What adapters did you try? I purchased a Micro to Mini usb adapter but haven't tried it yet.
2018-6-16
Use props
Jq4209
lvl.3
United States

NCP Posted at 2018-6-16 20:24
What adapters did you try? I purchased a Micro to Mini usb adapter but haven't tried it yet.

I purchased a Micro USB to Mini USB 2.0 Adapter for the Canon 6D Mark II and 5D Mark II and then one for the 5D Mark IV via Amazon.  I also purchased a USB-C adapter to Mini USB...none of these worked for me.
2018-6-17
Use props
StianGel
lvl.4
Flight distance : 686654 ft
Norway

This is troubling to read about.
For the first couple of weeks i want to make motion timelapse with my 6D.
How does the motion timelapse function work? Thinking about the motion of the gimbal. Does it move in the programmed motion in a smooth way, or will it move "frame by frame"?
2018-6-17
Use props
sumoadam
lvl.2
United States

StianGel Posted at 2018-6-17 12:27
This is troubling to read about.
For the first couple of weeks i want to make motion timelapse with my 6D.
How does the motion timelapse function work? Thinking about the motion of the gimbal. Does it move in the programmed motion in a smooth way, or will it move "frame by frame"?

The app today can control the joystick movement very well, just can't trigger the shutter or adjust any exposure settings.  So basically it's useless at this point.  With the 1dx2 I could attach a Canon WFT‑E8A and use the canon app to camera settings but still doesn't allow me to create panorama's, timelapse, or motionlapse stuff that looks cool.  Seems like a huge hole in releasing this product.
2018-6-17
Use props
fans6a950673
lvl.1
Flight distance : 36631 ft

sumoadam Posted at 2018-6-17 12:56
The app today can control the joystick movement very well, just can't trigger the shutter or adjust any exposure settings.  So basically it's useless at this point.  With the 1dx2 I could attach a Canon WFT‑E8A and use the canon app to camera settings but still doesn't allow me to create panorama's, timelapse, or motionlapse stuff that looks cool.  Seems like a huge hole in releasing this product.

Any updates? If this can't trigger the video to start or take pictures with the 5d iii, I'm going to cancel my order.  I tried calling tech support and sales and no one can answer the question.  Strange that they aren't putting more details on the cameras it works with.  Just says 5d but there is a big difference between the 1-4.
2018-6-18
Use props
sumoadam
lvl.2
United States

fans6a950673 Posted at 2018-6-18 11:40
Any updates? If this can't trigger the video to start or take pictures with the 5d iii, I'm going to cancel my order.  I tried calling tech support and sales and no one can answer the question.  Strange that they aren't putting more details on the cameras it works with.  Just says 5d but there is a big difference between the 1-4.

I just called DJI support and they didn't seem to know of any problems with the usb communications cable triggering the camera.  They suggested I send in the steps I took and any images via email to support so they can forward on to engineers.

All the early reviews and first week reviews by people on Youtube, I guess nobody is using a Canon with the usb cable.
2018-6-18
Use props
NCP
lvl.2

I was able to get the infrared cable to work, but only to start/stop video recording (with the 5D Mark III switch set to video) but it wouldn't do any focusing on half press of gimbal button.
2018-6-18
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Sorry for the inconvenience. We'll forward this to our engineers and hope more adaptive cables will be available in the near future. Appreciate your attention.
2018-6-19
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Currently, it is recommended to use the RSS-IR Control Cable as a workaround, please note our online store about more update, sorry again for the inconvenience.
2018-6-19
Use props
TTYXy2Djjj2N
New
Flight distance : 256325 ft
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-6-19 01:12
Currently, it is recommended to use the RSS-IR Control Cable as a workaround, please note our online store about more update, sorry again for the inconvenience.

How in the world do you hook up the RSS-IR Control Cable to a Canon 6D MK II?
2018-6-24
Use props
Jq4209
lvl.3
United States

TTYXy2Djjj2N Posted at 2018-6-24 15:45

I have tried and tried to do this with my Canon 6D Mark II to no avail. I cannot get the IR cable to work with this model at all. Love the gimbal, but really hope the firmware fixes these issues.
2018-6-24
Use props
NCP
lvl.2
United States

Jq4209 Posted at 2018-6-24 17:01
I have tried and tried to do this with my Canon 6D Mark II to no avail. I cannot get the IR cable to work with this model at all. Love the gimbal, but really hope the firmware fixes these issues.

Make sure to set your camera mode to self timer 2 or 10sec mode. I also think you need to turn off Bluetooth remote possibly?

Anyone have luck getting the IR remote to also start the 5d Mark III's auto focusing?
2018-6-24
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

TTYXy2Djjj2N Posted at 2018-6-24 15:45

Please connect the RSS-IR cable to the RSS port in the gimbal, and then point the infrared light to the camera's receiver, please set the camera to Video Recording Mode and Infrared Control Mode (Self-timer Mode) to enable the camera control. Please let us know if the issue persists. Thank you. GTScreenshot_20180625_171629.png
2018-6-25
Use props
Jq4209
lvl.3
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-6-25 01:17
Please connect the RSS-IR cable to the RSS port in the gimbal, and then point the infrared light to the camera's receiver, please set the camera to Video Recording Mode and Infrared Control Mode (Self-timer Mode) to enable the camera control. Please let us know if the issue persists. Thank you.[view_image]

Yes, I see what it says. I have followed the instructions word for word for the Canon 6D Mark II, and the IR cable does not work for this Canon model.  For the Canon 5D models (Mark II, Mark III, and Mark IV) the IR cable triggers only stills - not videos.  However, with an adapter, the MCC type C cable, will trigger video on the Mark IV, but this cable will not trigger stills.  Neither the MCC type B or C will (with adapters) trigger the Canon 6D Mark II, or 5Ds (Mark II or Mark III) - stills or videos. Of course, please share if anyone has had any different results.
2018-6-25
Use props
NCP
lvl.2
United States

I have the 5D Mark III and the IR cable triggers videos for me if I'm in video mode, but it won't trigger stills from video mode. In stills mode it will trigger stills but not video.
2018-6-25
Use props
fans6a950673
lvl.1

How is everyone getting theirs?  I bought mine at 7:00 am the morning it came out and haven't gotten a ship date yet.
2018-6-25
Use props
fans6a950673
lvl.1

I reached out to Michael Perry and he got me in contact with a sales team leader who said the following, "the Ronin-S was designed/tested  for a little more recent DSLR’s, so there was not a mini-USB cable included.  R&D said they are planning to start shipping the mini-USB cable for older cameras late July. That is the plan now, but they’re pretty backed up with the incredibly high demand of the Ronin-S units themselves."
2018-6-25
Use props
DJI-Paul
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41159547 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

A mini USB cable will be made available for older cameras and is currently in the pre-production phase. Firmware will need to support this and is coming shortly as well.
2018-6-25
Use props
NCP
lvl.2
United States

DJI-Paul Posted at 2018-6-25 22:04
A mini USB cable will be made available for older cameras and is currently in the pre-production phase. Firmware will need to support this and is coming shortly as well.

Awesome. Great to hear an official response to this. Being an early adoptor can be frustrating sometimes.
2018-6-26
Use props
fans1904ef8e
lvl.2

NCP Posted at 2018-6-26 10:16
Awesome. Great to hear an official response to this. Being an early adoptor can be frustrating sometimes.

DJI-Paul good to hear, disregard my other response on the Crane post, I had not seen this one yet.  With that said I have to agree with NCP post, definitely can be frustrating.

I hope it is coming out to those that ordered early first, since Canon is what I use too.

Is there a list to get on?
2018-6-26
Use props
fans1904ef8e
lvl.2

DJI-Paul good to hear, disregard my other response on the Crane post, I had not seen this one yet.  With that said I have to agree with NCP post, definitely can be frustrating.

I hope it is coming out to those that ordered early first, since Canon is what I use too.

Is there a list to get on?
2018-6-26
Use props
CanonMax
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8953215 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Well... @ DJI-Paul, I do not think my Canon EOS 5D mark IV and my Canon EOS 7D mark II are OLDER camera's... will these be supported by using the cable you wrote about?
In my opinion this cable should have been included in the RONIN-S package........
And this new firmware -as you stated-  which should be on it's way... will this arrive "soon"?

BTW I heard that DJI stopped shipping the RONIN-S because of some malfunction...
2018-6-26
Use props
Jq4209
lvl.3
United States

CanonMax Posted at 2018-6-26 23:36
Well... @ DJI-Paul, I do not think my Canon EOS 5D mark IV and my Canon EOS 7D mark II are OLDER camera's... will these be supported by using the cable you wrote about?
In my opinion this cable should have been included in the RONIN-S package........
And this new firmware -as you stated-  which should be on it's way... will this arrive "soon"?

Ha!  I agree. I, too, do not consider my Canon 5D Mark IV or Canon 6D Mark II older cameras given these cameras were models were just very recently released.
2018-6-27
Use props
Jq4209
lvl.3
United States

Jq4209 Posted at 2018-6-16 13:31
I am in similar situation.  I have a Canon Canon EOS 6D Mark II, EOS 5D Mark II,  and Canon EOS 5D Mark IV.  All of these cameras are listed as being supported.  What I have discovered is that none of these cameras are fully supported in this current firmware version.  I would say "are not supported", however, the RSS IR cable included with the Ronin-S does trigger the shutter for the 5D models for still images only; the RSS IR cable does not trigger the 6D Mark II at all - stills or videos.  It does not trigger video recording on any of the models whereas an IR remote control I have does.

I bought an adapter(s) for the other two cables included.  This does not work either.  It is interesting because when I attach the camera(s) to the gimbal via the MCC cables it causes the gimbal's motors to go into rest mode, and you have to restart the gimbal.  Once the gimbal is powered back on, no adjustments can be made to the camera(s)' settings (a message of "busy" is received), and the shutter button does not trigger the camera - stills or videos.

The latest firmware update resolved my issues across the differt models for the IR cable.
2018-6-28
Use props
DJI-Paul
lvl.4
  • >>>
Hong Kong

CanonMax Posted at 2018-6-26 23:36
And this new firmware -as you stated-  which should be on it's way... will this arrive "soon"?

FIrmware is here and for your 5DMKIV, plug the micro usb cable here:

2018-6-28
Use props
JrLintz
New

United States

DJI-Paul Posted at 2018-6-28 07:43
FIrmware is here and for your 5DMKIV, plug the micro usb cable here:

[view_image]

Thanks Paul, is there any update on the 5Dmkiii cable and firmware?
2018-6-28
Use props
fans6a950673
lvl.1

I just got mine today.  There are 3 cables but none of them fit my 5diii.  How are people connecting to theirs?  Are you buying a separate cable?
2018-6-28
Use props
sumoadam
lvl.2
United States

fans6a950673 Posted at 2018-6-28 15:33
I just got mine today.  There are 3 cables but none of them fit my 5diii.  How are people connecting to theirs?  Are you buying a separate cable?

Numerous usb cables don't exist at the moment, and even if they did a firmware updates still pending to fully support the focus button and smartphone  app.  Just have to hang in there.
2018-6-28
Use props
DJI-Paul
lvl.4
  • >>>
Hong Kong

The firmware has 5DMKIII functionality but it's currently undocumented. If you're really in a hurry and cannot wait to purchase the official cable from DJI (which will probably be around mid/end of July) you can get one of these Micro to Mini USB adapters.  This straight one pictured here will result in the cable orientation as shown when hooked up to the camera.

2018-6-29
Use props
fans1904ef8e
lvl.2

Canon 6D as well?  Is this a firmware update that is needed?

Just to clarify, it will be an extra purchase to get the correct cable that makes it compatible, direct plug in?
2018-6-29
Use props
NCP
lvl.2
United States

DJI-Paul Posted at 2018-6-29 06:08
[view_image]
[view_image]

Awesome! Thanks for confirmation, will try this out and see.
2018-6-29
Use props
JrLintz
New

United States

Thanks again Paul! I ordered an adapter and will post here with results when its received.
2018-6-29
Use props
NCP
lvl.2
United States

DJI-Paul Posted at 2018-6-29 06:08
[view_image]
[view_image]

I just tested out the new firmware and cable combination DJI-Paul mentioned, and can confirm it works. My 5D Mark III now has auto focus ability thru the record button on the grip and the focus dial also works now.

There are some small quirks still, but very happy it is working now.

Here are some things I noticed in different focusing modes. You need to half press the record button on the grip until you get focus confirmation, then you can fully press the button to start recording. When you fully press the button to stop recording, it will first try to focus again before it actually stops recording. This was in the 5d's quick focus mode. The other focus modes have different quirks to them. It also seemed that it randomly changed my autolight optimize setting to on, when I had it off. But not 100% sure if it did that or if I hit something by mistake. Will need to test more.
2018-6-29
Use props
MvMedia
lvl.2
Flight distance : 437247 ft
Australia

This sounds promising.... If anyone who has their Ronin-S and a Canon 6D Mark II, could you let us know if this works for you. I am still waiting for my Ronin-S to ship. If i get it before someone else can test, i will test it out and give feedback.
2018-6-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules