Mavic Air Battery Charger dock only charges 1 at a time.
18755 27 2018-6-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Captain Mal
lvl.4
Flight distance : 337890 ft
United States

So it looks like my battery charger dock, that can hold 4 batteries, will only charge one at a time. When I plug in a battery by itself, it will start charging as it should. When I plug in a second battery, the first one will stop charging and the second one will start. Once the second battery is fully charged, the first one will begin charging again. So both batteries do charge fully, but it takes twice as long as it should. I'm using all DJI charging hardware and batteries. No 3rd party hardware anywhere.

Is this normal? I figured it would be able to charge 4 batteries all at the same time.
2018-6-16
Use props
Jeff7577
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1916821 ft
United States

That is normal
2018-6-16
Use props
Captain Mal
lvl.4
Flight distance : 337890 ft
United States

Ugh, well that's kind of a let down. I guess I should have researched that a little more. It just seems silly that it wouldn't charge all at once.  Thanks for the reply, though!
2018-6-16
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 666483 ft
Netherlands

Captain Mal Posted at 2018-6-16 14:15
Ugh, well that's kind of a let down. I guess I should have researched that a little more. It just seems silly that it wouldn't charge all at once.  Thanks for the reply, though!

Why would it be silly? You'd only have to wait longer before you can fly again. Either way the end result for all batteries to charge to full would take the same amount of time. Or at least a higher capacity charger would be needed.
2018-6-16
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

same way with mavic pro, and prob same with pro II whenever that happens.   it makes sense, less stressful to charger to charge 1 battery at a time at max charge rate, vs trying to charge all batteries at once at same full rate..  
2018-6-16
Use props
Ken Storm
Second Officer
Flight distance : 178583 ft
United Kingdom

The charging hub is intelligent. It will charge the battery that is closest to full 1st to ensure your back in the air ASAP.
2018-6-16
Use props
Folkestone
First Officer
Flight distance : 843199 ft
United Kingdom

It starts with the battery that needs the biggest charge and works up from there. Is normal.
2018-6-16
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

Folkestone Posted at 2018-6-16 14:53
It starts with the battery that needs the biggest charge and works up from there. Is normal.

its the other way around... picks the battery that it will complete fastest and works backwards from there to ensure your back flying asap.
2018-6-16
Use props
Sweepickit 8
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3709022 ft
United Kingdom

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2018-6-16 15:50
its the other way around... picks the battery that it will complete fastest and works backwards from there to ensure your back flying asap.

That's what mine does... charges the fullest one first!
2018-6-16
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 635764 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ugh, well that's kind of a let down. I guess I should have researched that a little more. It just seems silly that it wouldn't charge all at once.  Thanks for the reply, though!

There are after market chargers that will charge all of them at once,  but DJI admins will advise against using them.

2018-6-16
Use props
AlansDronePics
First Officer
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Guernsey

LoSBoL Posted at 2018-6-16 14:31
Why would it be silly? You'd only have to wait longer before you can fly again. Either way the end result for all batteries to charge to full would take the same amount of time. Or at least a higher capacity charger would be needed.

Quite right.
A charger able to charge 4 at once would be at least twice the size to handle the current so most people would be complaining about the unnecessary bulk they had to carry around.
2018-6-16
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Get 3 more batteries, a second charger and second hub then you can charge 6 batteries with 2 charging in pairs (50 minutes quicker than 4 batteries on one hub) and all 6 will be ready in 2.5 hours and will give you 1.75 hours of real time flight without touching a charger in the field.
2018-6-17
Use props
djiuser_kU1yG1SD1IGY
New

United States

Ugh, well that's kind of a let down. I guess I should have researched that a little more. It just seems silly that it wouldn't charge all at once.  Thanks for the reply, though!

I was hoping it wasn’t so. That’s so trash. What’s the point of having a 4 battery charger
2020-4-24
Use props
djiuser_kU1yG1SD1IGY
New

United States

I was hoping it wasn’t so. That’s so trash. What’s the point of having a 4 battery charger
2020-4-24
Use props
NightThunder
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106020 ft
United States

djiuser_kU1yG1SD1IGY Posted at 4-24 16:54

Seriously, get a 4 battery parallel charger. There are some good ones on Amazon. Power is not critical as it only takes 104 watts of power to charge 4 Mavic Air batteries at once. I have been using a parallel 4 battery charger for my M2P for over 1 year now. The one I have now not only has intelligence charging in parallel but also a complete discharge which is recommended to be done every three months or so and a safe for storage charging/discharging mode as well as full power charging. The charger runs very cool and does NOT heat up the batteries.
2020-4-25
Use props
DrSutton
lvl.1
United States

Thanks for the input guys. Really helped me out. I was a little concerned about my charger hub. I have a Tello and I think the charger hub charges them all at the same time, so I though there might be something wrong with my Air 2 charger hub. Turns out it's normal. Thank you for the information.
2020-8-19
Use props
K6CCC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 651683 ft
United States

djiuser_kU1yG1SD1IGY Posted at 4-24 16:54

Being able to charge all the batteries without any intervention by you.  For example, drop all the batteries into the charger and go to bed.  No getting up every couple hours to start charging a different battery.
2020-8-20
Use props
Ruzhye
Second Officer
Flight distance : 795640 ft
United States

I wondered about this when I first started charging mine as well.  Thanks for explaining how it works.
2020-8-20
Use props
djiuser_kwnrj5RvVg7q
New

United States

K6CCC Posted at 8-20 17:29
Being able to charge all the batteries without any intervention by you.  For example, drop all the batteries into the charger and go to bed.  No getting up every couple hours to start charging a different battery.

No disrespect here, but this advice is terrible and unsafe.  Please don't charge Lithium polymer batteries when you are not monitoring them in a safe environment.  Do not go to bed while charging and risk having a fire in your home while you are sleeping.  Come on now, shame on you.

Just because the batteries have built in safeguards does not mean you should be taking chances like this.
2020-12-17
Use props
K6CCC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 651683 ft
United States

Millions (or is it billions) or people worldwide charge cellphones and other assorted devices with Li batteries of one chemistry or another overnight EVERY night.  Rarely is there a problem.
2020-12-17
Use props
djiuser_aHk1gQJ9Qa4M
New
Flight distance : 382444 ft
United States

Why would it be silly? You'd only have to wait longer before you can fly again. Either way the end result for all batteries to charge to full would take the same amount of time. Or at least a higher capacity charger would be needed.

well that’s why it’s silly... you have to wait longer when one expected to wait a shorter time since it’s a battery hub
2021-2-7
Use props
djiuser_aHk1gQJ9Qa4M
New
United States

well that’s why it’s silly... you have to wait longer when one expected to wait a shorter time since it’s a battery hub
2021-2-7
Use props
djiuser_aHk1gQJ9Qa4M
New
United States

2021-2-7
Use props
djiuser_qyMT8KZeJBIl
lvl.1

Germany

NightThunder Posted at 2020-4-25 11:08
Seriously, get a 4 battery parallel charger. There are some good ones on Amazon. Power is not critical as it only takes 104 watts of power to charge 4 Mavic Air batteries at once. I have been using a parallel 4 battery charger for my M2P for over 1 year now. The one I have now not only has intelligence charging in parallel but also a complete discharge which is recommended to be done every three months or so and a safe for storage charging/discharging mode as well as full power charging. The charger runs very cool and does NOT heat up the batteries.

Hey, which one do you have? I will go for a long video shoot and would charge 6 packs.
2021-6-17
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

djiuser_qyMT8KZeJBIl Posted at 6-17 09:27
Hey, which one do you have? I will go for a long video shoot and would charge 6 packs.

Then buy two of the chargers.
2021-6-17
Use props
Sought
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Thank you for this post, as I had the same problem. I assumed as did others that the batteries would be charged up all at the same time, as I have seen other chargers that actually do that. So whilst I do not think this is a good method compared to the usual expentation, as all being charged simultaneously then trickle fed would be better, I am guessing (not always a good thing to do) that there is a boost in only charging one at a time, if not, not very practical.
2022-4-5
Use props
Wilson 000
lvl.2

Hong Kong

If charging at the same time, it will be very slow to charge the three pieces together.
Charging a block first allows us to use it in advance at special moments, isn't it better?
2022-4-6
Use props
TomKatt
lvl.4
Flight distance : 115184 ft
United States

Wilson 000 Posted at 4-6 19:43
If charging at the same time, it will be very slow to charge the three pieces together.
Charging a block first allows us to use it in advance at special moments, isn't it better?

That all depends on the capacity of the charger... There's no technical limitation preventing a charger design capable of charging all the batteries at the same time at the same speed the provided charger operates - it would just be bigger and more expensive, and DJI estimated most people would be satisifed with a smaller cheaper charger.
2022-4-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules