Lightbridge & BlackMagic Pixilated Slow Video
5209 23 2014-9-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
davidh56
New

United States

I have just purchased an S1000 with the LightBridge.  Everything works, except the video monitor has a large lag and very little clear video, most of the video is pixilated. Are there any setting for the BlackMagic camera or the LightBridge that I can use to improve the monitor?
2014-9-18
Use props
DJI-Daniel
lvl.1

China

I think you start by making sure all firmware are up to date, set the camera to 1080p30 and see if it improves any.
Also run the signal diagnose to check signal interference/strength.
2014-9-19
Use props
Scott-Heliguy
lvl.1
  • >>>
United Kingdom

check your antenna location and if you don't need 1080 720 would be best
2014-9-19
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have my camera set at 1080 24.  Try that.
2014-9-20
Use props
pulsarc
New

Singapore

I have this issue as well. A2 + Z15-BMPCC + Lightbridge. Flight control works but video is very pixelated despite having 100 on the video transmission quality. There was a very recent firmware update and all components (gimbal + lightbridge) were updated.  Also tried changing BMPCC framerate but it did not help. Signal diagnostic was good (green bars).

Previously was using analog transmission which was fine until the switch to lightbridge.

Any good ideas?
2014-10-16
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I have been able to get good video transmission from the Lightbridge and the BMPCC.  Try smooth mode and the camera at 24fps that may help.  Also make sure that your device has the wifi and bluetooth turned off.  The placement of the antennas are critical.  The ground unit needs to be away from the Tx and monitor with the antennas pointed up.  The air unit needs to have the antennas clear from interference from other components and CF materials.  You need to experiment.  But 500-600m is a good range for this combination.
2014-10-16
Use props
pulsarc
New

Singapore

Hi Tahoe, Thanks for your response. will try and report back the findings!
2014-10-17
Use props
kirilian
New

United States

Did you ever find a solution?  I am having the same problem and have tried all of the suggestions listed here.
2014-10-23
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

kirilian Posted at 2014-10-23 21:50
Did you ever find a solution?  I am having the same problem and have tried all of the suggestions li ...

If you have tried all these steps, you may want to consider contacting your dealer or DJI for repair/replacement.
2014-10-23
Use props
pulsarc
New

Singapore

So. I tried something interesting for the BMPCC + Zenmuse Z15 + Lightbridge + A2 + S800 Evo setup. Instead of connecting the HDMI output of the BMPCC to the gimbal connector, which feeds through the Z15 GCU, i connected it directly to the HDMI input of the lightbridge, thereby bypassing the Z15 altogether. Video LED because green (it used to be red when going through BMPCC Z15 GCU/HD-AV).

The result was very good. Video was flawless and did not have the pixalating/tearing issues when connecting through the Z15 HD-AV module and the GCU.

I'm guessing there is some issue with the encoding on the Z15 HD-AV unit or even the Z15 GCU. I was looking through the lightbridge manual and it states that encoding is done by the Z15 on the BMPCC Z15 gimbal rather than lightbridge .

Kirilian could you perhaps try this and verify the results?
2014-10-26
Use props
kirilian.mediac
New

United States

I should have checked back here sooner.  Hopefully everyone is still around.

Yes, I tried this same setup (bypassing the gimbal and connecting the camera directly to the LB air unit) and it works perfectly.  Perfect video signal.  I also tried connecting a different camera to the gimbal HDMI connector and the noise returned.  It is definataly something in the gimbal.

I tried sending the gimbal and LB back to the dealer and they told me I must have damaged it somehow and wouldn't even test it to see if they could figure out what was going on.  They suggested sending it to DJI.  I contacted DJI and they told me there was no fix for this problem and if there ever were to be a fix, it would be a firmware change.  There have been no firmware updates that address this problem  Also, if it were a firmware problem, wouldn't every user of the HD gimbals be having this problem?
2015-2-16
Use props
atlrivas
lvl.2

Mexico

kirilian.mediac Posted at 2015-2-17 01:08

Yes, I tried this same ...

hello, your RC is 2.4 Ghz ? you tried to land without turning your rc ?, may be interference if they are the LB and Your RC on the same frequency , already tried connecting your RC to LB ? sorry for my poor language,  try in real time, and video source in single video source, channel automatic.  good luck
2015-3-5
Use props
richardpos
New

United Kingdom

kirilian.mediac Posted at 2015-2-17 01:08

Yes, I tried this same ...

I've had exactly the same problem but with GH4 gimbal.  I carried out the same test by bypassing the gimbal which proved the light bridge was working etc.  So I contacted DJI Germany. They gave very little info but said one of the internal wiring looms will be at fault and I should return the gimbal for repair.  Eventually my gimbal was returned apparently all tested and fixed.  When I plugged back in and turned on the problem persisted.  So I kicked off and they kindly sent me a new gimbal.  When I plugged the new gimbal in I had exactly the same problems.  Anyway cutting a very long story short I had some spare cables which run from G9 on the GCU to the Gimbal.  2 out of 3 cables gave me heavy pixelation and one works well.  There's no physical signs of damage or obvious bad joints on the two bad cables.  If you have any spare I would try them.
2015-4-14
Use props
toyota635
New

United States

my latency is horrible. See pixilation and lag in Real Time, Full HD is completely unusable with horrible pixilation, tracers, and lag with freezing at times, and smoothing has a great picture if your not worried about the 2 second lag. no milliseconds. disgusted with this product that cost $1300. Bought for ground robot. Tested without any systems on so there is no RF to disturb signal.  also using a gopro 3+ black edition
2015-7-11
Use props
smaldo
lvl.1

Australia

richardpos Posted at 2015-4-15 05:44
I've had exactly the same problem but with GH4 gimbal.  I carried out the same test by bypassing t ...

So I had the same issue with poor video out of the Z15 GH4 HD + Lightbridge. Didn't happen when bypassing the gimbal (HDMI direct from camera to air end of LB).
Tried another HDMI cable to the HD/AV module - same issue.
Tried heating the HD/AV module.... still happening.
Found the issue to be related to the "10 pin to 9 pin" cable between GCU and gimbal. Moving the cable appeared to change the video.... good thing is that 2 cables are included in the Z15 kit.

Not sure how much time I wasted trying to resolve the issue but hopefully it's fixed for good now.

PS - richardpos - wish I saw your post earlier!
2015-7-28
Use props
ANDY1492
lvl.2

Suriname

pulsarc Posted at 2014-10-27 15:24
So. I tried something interesting for the BMPCC + Zenmuse Z15 + Lightbridge + A2 + S800 Evo setup. I ...

good afternoon,

Could you maybe explain a little bit better how you did this? maybe a picture?
I haven't had any image for months now and still cant find the problem

thank you
2015-8-9
Use props
youzq
lvl.2
Hong Kong

ANDY1492 Posted at 2015-8-10 06:42
good afternoon,

Could you maybe explain a little bit better how you did this? maybe a picture?

in one word, he connected the camera in the gimbal and lb directly by a hdmi cabel, bypassing the hd/av endcoder on the gimble. there is must be something wrong with his gimbal. there are too many cable in the gimal, maybe someone of them goes bad.
2015-8-14
Use props
kuau
lvl.1

United States

youzq Posted at 2015-8-15 15:16
in one word, he connected the camera in the gimbal and lb directly by a hdmi cabel, bypassing the h ...

I'm having the exact same issue with my gimbal, if I bypass the gimbal HD/av I get perfect video feed from Lightbridge. Is it the G7 cable being the issue?
2015-8-25
Use props
kuau
lvl.1

United States

Does anyone know what the fix is for this? I am having the exact same issue
2015-8-25
Use props
youzq
lvl.2
Hong Kong

kuau Posted at 2015-8-26 08:04
Does anyone know what the fix is for this? I am having the exact same issue

there maybe something wrong with the cable embeded in the gimbal, i am not sure which one goes bad, maybe the G7 cable, maybe not, I think you need to send your gimbal to DJI for repairment.
2015-9-22
Use props
kirilian.mediac
New

United States

Thought I would post an update.

A month or two after my last post last year (about a year ago), I contacted DJI again and they suggested sending the gimbal in for repair.  They replaced the HD/AV module under warranty.  When the gimbal returned, I installed and tested it.  It worked great for 1 flight then the problem returned.  It wasn't as bad at first, but after the third or fourth time I tried to use it, it was worse than before.

I didn't use it for a while until about a month ago I contacted DJI again and they suggested sending it back in. This time they said the 'camera HDMI cable' needed to be replaced for $141.  I agreed to the repair and when the gimbal returned, I found they had sent me an entirely brand new gimbal still sealed in the original box!  I was excited to see this hoping that my problems were gone for good, but when I powered it up...same problem!!! (I noticed the date code on the outside of the box was August 2014 which makes this one older than my original unit - flawed design???)  I thought the firmware might be old with this unit so I updated everything, but still had the problem.

Just to make sure something else wasn't the problem, i tested my BMPCC HDMI output with a HD monitor and it was still fine.  HDMI directly in the L.B. air unit also works just fine still.

Is there any hope?
2016-3-16
Use props
doctrrf
lvl.3

kirilian.mediac Posted at 2016-3-16 21:37

A month or two after my last post last year (about a year ago), I c ...

I had the same problem.  Turned out it was the G9 cable connector on the gimbal. It's almost impossible to judge when this connector is fully seated. I used a 1/8" diameter wood dowel to catch the edges of the connecter to help push it in.
2016-4-10
Use props
gaussmonkey
New

United States

kirilian.mediac Posted at 2016-3-16 21:37

A month or two after my last post last year (about a year ago), I c ...

I recently purchased a discounted Lightbridge from B&H and had pixelated/choppy/poor video until I put a simple EMI choke around cable G9 near the gimbal-end connector.  System performs flawlessly, now.

In the Lightbridge configuration, my rig consists of:
S900 w/A2 configured for single operator
Lightbridge 1
Zenmuse Z15-BMPCC
BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera (kinda obvious...)
ReadyMadeRC PRO700 CCD Camera
CANBUS 1: GPS, IMU
CANBUS 2: PMU, Bluetooth, CANHUB, Datalink, Zenmuse

ZenmuseFix.jpg
2016-10-30
Use props
image23
lvl.1
Flight distance : 256686 ft
Italy

I've had the same problem as a above on a S900 A2 Lightbridge with the Zemuse Z15-BMPCC.
Thx to this thread I could resolve it. Thank you all!
By fiddling around with the G9 cable at the place where it is attached to the Zenmuse all the problems of pixillation went away.
Now it is taped in place.

I don't know if the cable is damaged or that the connector came loose and was rightly put back in place.

To be sure, I'd like to change the G9 cable.

I can't seem to find out how to order this G9 cable for the Zenmuse Z15-BMPPCC on the DJI Store.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Eugene

2016-11-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules