12Next >
2473 50 2018-6-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jeff Millard
lvl.4
Flight distance : 503635 ft
  • >>>

Had a neighbor walk up and tell me “people are getting creeped out” saying I was flying over their backyards. I fly over my house, and over the streets only at altitude 200’ to 300’ but I didn’t argue with her. At least I have the flight records and can demonstrate to the police where I’ve flown, and how. But, this pretty much means I’ll be flying in the backyard only when around the house. I figured it would eventually happen. Even if I wasn’t over their yard, they’d say I was. Guess we’ll be saving a few $ on neighbor gifts at Christmas this year...

Jeff
2018-6-17
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>

What perhaps may solve your problem once and forever is a simple and polite conversation. Happen to me as well, but instead escalating the confrontation to an angry argumentation I let her went off and apologized. Next day I approached with a box of chocolates, asked for a minute or two of attention and explained what I do with my drone in details. Worked charmingly, never had a issue after.

2018-6-17
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hi, thanks for sharing your experience with us. People who complaint do not know the rules and regulations of flying drone thinks that we are invading their privacy.  Flying a drone comes with lots of responsibilities. All we need to do is to talk to them and explain how and why we fly our drones. So that they will be able to understand why. Thank you and have a safe flight.
2018-6-17
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Just tell her she looks absolutely beautiful from 300 ft.
2018-6-17
Use props
DEUCEDOG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2501575 ft
United Kingdom

ALABAMA Posted at 2018-6-17 11:42

Lol
2018-6-17
Use props
Eric13
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>

I had some similar experience. In the countryside though, I don't fly in my city.
A few weeks ago I was on the edge of some farmers field. Pretty ideal, with trees casting a shadow on my display.
On the 3rd battery I was bringing the drone back and saw a tractor rushing over the fields my way.

The farmer was yelling at me! He said I flew over his house two times. (Which was not true verifying the flight path afterwards).
He took a photo of me and my car/license plate. I apologized, I said I'm only interested in landscape photos. I left with a bad feeling.

A few days later I visited him and brought him two prints of photos I took. I apologized again and he was quite kind.
In the process of our conversation we exchanged phone #'s and he invited me to come again if I announce it with a text message.
And he was interested in getting some shots of his farm/house.

So a week later we met and he brought family+dog and they were excited looking at my screen.
I took pictures of his property from all sides, retouched them later and sent those to him.

We are kind of friends now - he is e-mailing me about other opportunities since he knows all the farmers in the area.
And I said I'd shoot everything for them for free .

I think a good way to solve issues is inviting people to look at the screen, making them understand that the camera is very wide angle and no good for spying. Handing out a personal/business card helps to built trust.
Plus offering to take some aerial footage of their property for them.

I did this three times over the last 1.5 years at different occasions.
Fortunately I haven't encountered a real Hater so far...

2018-6-17
Use props
Jeff Millard
lvl.4
  • >>>

I’ve lived here for 22 years. This person is single and has a teenaged daughter. They’ve lived here for about 3 years. We’ve always been friendly to them. I think the best thing to do will be to keep the drone low in the backyard and travel when I wish to fly. I’m within five years of retirement, and we won’t be staying in the area, so this isn’t the end of the world. People don’t know what your intent is when they look up and see something buzzing around. Last week in Philadelphia a guy was arrested breaking into cars. He was using a drone as cover, to keep from looking suspicious. It was all over the news, so there’s that fun part. I didn’t argue, just indicated I understand and went in the house. I can say for sure, I’m not surprised at all. People always seem to want to start something, even when there’s nothing there. It’s the environment we live in. It has prompted us to start looking for that retirement place though...

Jeff
2018-6-17
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hahahahahaha
2018-6-17
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Yep, it's a delicate issue. I don't know about the States, but there is actually no such thing as "privacy" legislation in Australia. I've dredged up an article I read last year written by a lecturer in law - it's based on Australian law, but some here may find the underlying principles interesting to read nevertheless (and especially some of the comments).

https://theconversation.com/back ... drones-at-bay-76580

Worthy of note is that when many people perceive that their "castle" or personal space is threatened, it stops being a logical discussion and becomes a very emotional one.
2018-6-17
Use props
Jeff Millard
lvl.4
  • >>>

Punchbuggy Posted at 2018-6-17 14:39
Yep, it's a delicate issue. I don't know about the States, but there is actually no such thing as "privacy" legislation in Australia. I've dredged up an article I read last year written by a lecturer in law - it's based on Australian law, but some here may find the underlying principles interesting to read nevertheless (and especially some of the comments).

I've noticed there was drone privacy legislation passed in a southern conservative state here in the US recently. I believe someone even posted about it here.

I'm hearing a bit more about the individual from a few other neighbors... I believe the "people" she spoke of were all in her head. But, this really is a touchy subject and I think it's better for the hobby in general not to provoke in any way.

Jeff
2018-6-17
Use props
Markon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1296585 ft
Australia

Punchbuggy Posted at 2018-6-17 14:39
Yep, it's a delicate issue. I don't know about the States, but there is actually no such thing as "privacy" legislation in Australia. I've dredged up an article I read last year written by a lecturer in law - it's based on Australian law, but some here may find the underlying principles interesting to read nevertheless (and especially some of the comments).

It comes down in part to perception.

One of my next door neighbors complained to me about my drone seeing details of his farming operations when I fly over my own property. Quite interesting as living on a plain all I have to do is look over the fence, no drone required. (Mind you he manages to complain about everything.)

This same gentleman has a Cessna 206 and regularly flies over my farm at 500 ft so  I really wonder what his problem is. I did ask him if he was concerned about hitting my drone and all I got was a grumph.

I have no issues with any of my other neighbors and with one of my other neighbors have taken the drone up over his place a couple of times to help him spot mobs of sheep while mustering. No payment, just a couple of beers shared after the muster.
2018-6-17
Use props
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

You handled it well.  Kudos.  Just more fuel for the “gotta get yourself some property in the country” fire.  Seriously, people are getting odder and odder each year.  
2018-6-17
Use props
Jeff Millard
lvl.4
  • >>>

Oracle Miata Posted at 2018-6-17 15:12
You handled it well.  Kudos.  Just more fuel for the “gotta get yourself some property in the country” fire.  Seriously, people are getting odder and odder each year.

Yep, it lit a fire under me for a large open space somewhere away from civilization.

Jeff
2018-6-17
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Its the "female teenager" part thats the main concern for her here, i doubt its anything else, but shes making it bigger by saying "others"

Take a photo to show her of you in your yard from 2-300ft up so she can see that any privacy issues are of no concern
2018-6-17
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 2018-6-17 11:06
What perhaps may solve your problem once and forever is a simple and polite conversation. Happen to me as well, but instead escalating the confrontation to an angry argumentation I let her went off and apologized. Next day I approached with a box of chocolates, asked for a minute or two of attention and explained what I do with my drone in details. Worked charmingly, never had a issue after.

Very good approach!
2018-6-17
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
First Officer
Flight distance : 3440476 ft
Spain

lol
2018-6-18
Use props
BobUnplugged
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1140502 ft
  • >>>
United States

"Tell our neighbors that I will record video on every flight that I do in the neighborhood, and make the file available for anyone to review, so they can easily determine what I can and cannot see, and what I do and do not seek."
2018-6-18
Use props
KedDK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

I would invite them to be participating a flight, looking over your shoulder so they can see what it is about, that should calm them i guess. Perhaps they even want you to go over their property and have a picture taken from above when they see the beauty sight from up there.
2018-6-18
Use props
BobUnplugged
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1140502 ft
  • >>>
United States

Also, if your neighborhood is included in the NEXTDOOR app (It's kinda like Facebook for neighbors), that can help.  I occasionally post a picture or video from the neighborhood, and I think that creates goodwill, and it certainly doesn't show anything improper.  
2018-6-18
Use props
Joe D.
lvl.2

I think the government gave the word "drone" a bad name. I still find people who think I can zoom in from 300' and look down their shirt. I have had a few encounters with people over the last couple years  who think i am recording everybody and that is just not right. So I have them look on my iPad when I am doing a "routine flight" around the neighborhood. I show them I usually fly around about 150' and I cannot zoom with my P4P. They usually end up saying "wow, that's cool".

But, I think it is only gonna get worse as far as complaints and privacy issues. It is the moron drone operators who are, in fact, recording people and taking backyard bikini pics of people from their drone that are making it hard on the other 99% of us.
2018-6-18
Use props
Jeff Millard
lvl.4
  • >>>

Joe D. Posted at 2018-6-18 06:11
I think the government gave the word "drone" a bad name. I still find people who think I can zoom in from 300' and look down their shirt. I have had a few encounters with people over the last couple years  who think i am recording everybody and that is just not right. So I have them look on my iPad when I am doing a "routine flight" around the neighborhood. I show them I usually fly around about 150' and I cannot zoom with my P4P. They usually end up saying "wow, that's cool".

But, I think it is only gonna get worse as far as complaints and privacy issues. It is the moron drone operators who are, in fact, recording people and taking backyard bikini pics of people from their drone that are making it hard on the other 99% of us.

Bingo. This is what’s happening. I’ve also discussed this with about 8 other neighbors, all located around her. Up front, I asked them to be honest with me and not to worry about hurting my feelings if they’re bothered by my drone. Each of them laughed and said drone on. Several of the closest to her have stated she made peeping Tom accusations at them. So, that. I just appear to be the current accused. I’m guessing there's no way to improve this with discussion or acts of kindness, or cool flying demonstrations. I’ll politely bow out and let it blow over. Besides, I think it all started when I flew up to 350’ and triggered a panorama using the standard props. Even that high it was pretty loud, and after taking 34 images while doing pirouettes I raced right down to the yard. So all that buzzing was pretty annoying even to me.

Jeff
2018-6-18
Use props
Joe D.
lvl.2

Jeff Millard Posted at 2018-6-18 08:10
Bingo. This is what’s happening. I’ve also discussed this with about 8 other neighbors, all located around her. Up front, I asked them to be honest with me and not to worry about hurting my feelings if they’re bothered by my drone. Each of them laughed and said drone on. Several of the closest to her have stated she made peeping Tom accusations at them. So, that. I just appear to be the current accused. I’m guessing there's no way to improve this with discussion or acts of kindness, or cool flying demonstrations. I’ll politely bow out and let it blow over. Besides, I think it all started when I flew up to 350’ and triggered a panorama using the standard props. Even that high it was pretty loud, and after taking 34 images while doing pirouettes I raced right down to the yard. So all that buzzing was pretty annoying even to me.

Jeff

That's why I can't wait to get my hands on the new props. I have heard from others who have them that it really is noticeable. And the props get rid of that weird whine the P4 has as opposed to the P3 I had.
2018-6-27
Use props
Jeff Millard
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Joe D. Posted at 2018-6-27 16:40
That's why I can't wait to get my hands on the new props. I have heard from others who have them that it really is noticeable. And the props get rid of that weird whine the P4 has as opposed to the P3 I had.

Yes, it's like a bell ringing. When I put the new props on that is almost silent. The only time we heard it was when I was braking hard. I was in sport mode bringing it in and the stick slipped from my finger. It braked hard and my wife said there's that bell again. As soon as it stopped, so did the bell. I was away in the forest last weekend and I put the Obsidian props back on. I was really annoyed at how loud it is with the standard props. I still haven't committed to using a sharpie on them to get the color to match the aircraft.

Jeff
2018-6-28
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

Todays world seems to be find someone having a good time and ruin it. A lot of people today are so depressed - they pass it on to others.

I don't know what the answer is .... I think its hard to solve because the TV is so bl***y depressing as well !

I'm lucky that I live in an area that is underdeveloped and still being built, I have large lands around my house ... I do fly well outside my borders but no-one cares. I really feel sorry for those who cannot do same.

I do admit though - I have a respect for others and privacy as i wish others to respect mine. I do not go for the what is law - that is just invitation to argument with a lot of people. I would not want anyone flying low over myself or others on my property - regardless of whether lawful or not. So I do unto others as i want to me.

There are many times discussion and openness solves potential and actual problems. Its the lack of understanding that is the 'poison' in this. Once people are involved .. understand ... can even benefit ... they soon become supporters. A few flights checking roofs and chimneys for the Neighbourhood Watch can work wonders ... free and as a hobby event of course.

Many communities have Meetings ... why not offer to give a chat and show the DJI with maybe a general video ? Once you have support of the majority - the others generally slink away ...

Nigel
2018-6-28
Use props
KedDK
Second Officer
Denmark

ncgfLAXnr7rH Posted at 2018-6-28 14:21
That doesn't work with a prick bitch who steals your drone and you have to call the police on her to get your drone back!  I was flying at 300 feet in an unrestricted area. Plus she stole my memory card which I filed theft charges .  Just sayin'.  The most evil person I have ever met! 3 weeks later I get a call from an FAA rep.  After hearing what happened he totally sided with me that I broke no rules.

It sure must have been some kind of an evil witch you have collided with there, not many would manage to steal a drone flying at 300 feet and get the card removed.
2018-6-29
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

KedDK Posted at 2018-6-29 01:03
It sure must have been some kind of an evil witch you have collided with there, not many would manage to steal a drone flying at 300 feet and get the card removed.

Did cross my mind as well !!

C'mon 'ncgfLAXnr7rH' ...... questions :

1. Where did you get that name from ??

2. How did she get to take your drone ?

I reckon I'm only one of many interested to hear more about how it all happened ...

Nigel
2018-6-29
Use props
dont slow down
lvl.4
Flight distance : 574977 ft
United States

A few months ago I had some friends and their kids over visiting. I let their oldest kid fly my P3A in our front yard. We have an empty lot right across from our house and he was flying it at about 50 feet back and forth from our yard to the lot. The guy in the house next to the lot came out an yelled "That thing have a camera on it?" I responded yes and he yelled back "Get it away from my house or I'll shoot it down!" I told him we were nowhere near his house and were over the field. He went to his truck and pulled a gun out and pointed it at my drone. I shrugged at him because my drone is insured and we were recording this at the same time. Instead of yelling back and forth across the street I decided to walk over and just try to talk to him. As I was walking over he put the gun away and started to go inside. I asked him if I could talk to him and he refused to talk to me. All I wanted to do was apologize, explain, and tell him that I would be sure not to fly over his property anymore. Some people just want to be mad I guess. I still fly in my neighborhood often as many others have told me they don't mind, but I make sure I never cross his property line. If he gets upset again and decides to shoot it down its his problem. In case some don't know drones are considered aircraft by the FAA and shooting one down is a felony offense.
2018-6-29
Use props
KedDK
Second Officer
Denmark

ncgfLAXnr7rH Posted at 2018-6-29 19:40
I had to land in the road because the battery was at 12%. she pulled up and pushed me out of the way  right after I landed and took the drone and put it in her car.

This is not what you claimed in the previous post and from the sound of it there is more to this story. but don't bother, even tell it all as it actually was or don't tell anything.
I liked the first part the most, very unrealistic.
2018-6-29
Use props
Eric13
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

solentlife Posted at 2018-6-29 07:27
Did cross my mind as well !!

C'mon 'ncgfLAXnr7rH' ...... questions :

"1. Where did you get that name from ?? "
Some people use their password as user name so they won't forget it.
Now you know my password :-)
2018-6-29
Use props
Eric13
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

dont slow down Posted at 2018-6-29 11:11
A few months ago I had some friends and their kids over visiting. I let their oldest kid fly my P3A in our front yard. We have an empty lot right across from our house and he was flying it at about 50 feet back and forth from our yard to the lot. The guy in the house next to the lot came out an yelled "That thing have a camera on it?" I responded yes and he yelled back "Get it away from my house or I'll shoot it down!" I told him we were nowhere near his house and were over the field. He went to his truck and pulled a gun out and pointed it at my drone. I shrugged at him because my drone is insured and we were recording this at the same time. Instead of yelling back and forth across the street I decided to walk over and just try to talk to him. As I was walking over he put the gun away and started to go inside. I asked him if I could talk to him and he refused to talk to me. All I wanted to do was apologize, explain, and tell him that I would be sure not to fly over his property anymore. Some people just want to be mad I guess. I still fly in my neighborhood often as many others have told me they don't mind, but I make sure I never cross his property line. If he gets upset again and decides to shoot it down its his problem. In case some don't know drones are considered aircraft by the FAA and shooting one down is a felony offense.

Too bad the guy didn't shoot. Imagine the footage you might have gotten.
And on top of it filming the guy being handcuffed and carried away.
That's what I would call a Happy Ending :-)
2018-6-29
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain

sorry to read that
2018-6-30
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

I am just totally gobsmacked at some of the stories coming out ..... dare I say it ?

It could only happen in the US of A ??

Nigel
2018-6-30
Use props
Jeff Millard
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

solentlife Posted at 2018-6-30 03:05
I am just totally gobsmacked at some of the stories coming out ..... dare I say it ?

It could only happen in the US of A ??

I'd like to speak to the current state of things, but this isn't the place. From what I've learned by asking a couple dozen people, there's not much negativity about me flying a quad copter around the neighborhood 200' to 300' up. But there is one single home with people who don't like it. I have an opinion about those people. But I don't intend to push back. The worst case of doing so could result in a stain on participation in our hobby. Somehow throughout my life, if there was a worst case of any subject I seem to be it's sole target. I'm close enough to retirement that I don't really care about restricting myself from flying near the house as it won't last forever. If this was 1996 and I was just moving in, and 22 years younger I might not be quite as passive. For that 22 years none of the eggs in the basket that is our neighbor hood were rotten. It was bound to eventually sour.

Jeff
2018-6-30
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

Sour neighbourhood ?

I live in an area that is slowly developing but I am lucky that I have a large area to keep the 'peskies' at distance !!  Jokes aside - the area is very good and no-one bothers others .. we help each other when needed ... have even had BBQ's ...

But now a house is being built on the land next to me and the Father is fine ... but his Wife ........... Oh Dear ! She is totally THE BOSS ... and completely against any compromise / discussion .... not that I want any with her !!
It will be interesting once they move in ... because I'm a very nice easy going quiet guy - TILL someone tries one on me ! I am totally in favour of friendly neighbours and keeping the peace. But I'll not accept her rude ignorant attitude .... she's already upset the people on other side !!

I'm sure I will have to re-draw my flight route around their boundary !!

Nigel
2018-6-30
Use props
KedDK
Second Officer
Denmark

ncgfLAXnr7rH Posted at 2018-6-30 08:00
Sorry for you to think I am a liar! This wasn't even a home but a nursery! Yeah I just love making up stories.

I didn't say you're lying Just that first part didn't make much sense and adding the second part to me sounds like there is more to that story still left out, making it hard to judge if this is about a crazy lady or a incautious droner and take a stand.
That it now was happening at a nursery only add more doubt about what's really happened and why.

Here's a full story about a crazy woman.
2018-6-30
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Flying over a nursery here in the UK would lead to trouble from the feds let alone the public, so i can understand why she was a tad upset, even if you didnt have ill intentions, she was not to know this.....
2018-6-30
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Neighbors. Often need a swift boot in the arse.. haha

Mine are swell, and only complain about the odiferous situation, emanating from my abode.

RedHotPoker
2018-6-30
Use props
Jeff Millard
lvl.4
  • >>>

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-6-30 22:53
Neighbors. Often need a swift boot in the arse.. haha

Mine are swell, and only complain about the odiferous situation, emanating from my abode.

Another thumbs up for Canada. Sweet odiferous emanations!

Jeff
2018-7-1
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Jeff Millard Posted at 2018-7-1 01:13
Another thumbs up for Canada. Sweet odiferous emanations!

Jeff

Wait for it...

until ~ tada

Oct. 17 2018... haha

That day will go down in history, as it goes up in Smoke.
Maybe Tommy Chong will move back here to Edmonton.. Chuckles

RedHotPoker
2018-7-1
Use props
Jeff Millard
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-7-1 06:57
Wait for it...

until ~ tada

If I was he, the way he was treated by police and government, I'd have left the moment I was released and never set foot here again. In fact, every day I get closer to doing that myself anyway...

With that date, your Country became all that more appealing!

Jeff
2018-7-1
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules