Almost crashed my Spark checking out an Osprey (2ND VIDEO)
839 11 2018-6-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Duke56
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1761844 ft
United States

As I approach the nest on a shorter wooden tower you can see a bigger metal tower nearby.  I start to go around the nest and lost track of the metal tower and bumb into it and got inside the structure and then back out.  I'm extremely lucky it didn't crash right there.  At the end, once I recovered, I focus on the nest and you can see on the far side of the nest another Osprey.  

A 2nd, short video much closer to the Osprey.  You can see there are 2 of them, one on the far side of the nest.

2018-6-17
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

Hi Duke, your where Very Lucky ! Two bumps and your Spark is 100% Rock Solid.

Always BEWARE of Flying near the Nests, as their Osprey Mother could have attacked the Drone, to defend her Territory.

ANy type of mothers birds and animals, are very aggressive if they see something approach their little ones.

2018-6-17
Use props
Duke56
lvl.4
United States

I was VERY aware of that.  As you may have noticed, I started my approach in sport mode to cut the time to get there.  the nest was about 1,000 ft from my location.  Once I got close I went back into GPS mode and approached slowly.  Appears the parent was on the other side of the nest.  They seemed to be aware of my presence but didn't feel threatened.  Kept my distance as I tried to pan around the nest.  It's a miracle my Spark didn't go down from hitting that metal tower.  Bad judgement on my part.  Knew it was there starting out but was concentrating on the shot and it almost cost me.

DJI_0192.JPG
DJI_0183.JPG
2018-6-17
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, Glad to know that you were able to retrieve your aircraft after that collision and in any case that you encounter any problem on your spark due to that incident I would suggest contacting our support to send your unit to our repair facility. I strongly advise to as well that we should stay away from any interference or hazardous environment for us to avoid an accident and have maximized the usage of your drone.
2018-6-17
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>

Excellent footage, you truly never want to mess with an Osprey Mother who, as referenced by DMX_MT, could have attacked the Spark to defend her chicks.
2018-6-17
Use props
Duke56
lvl.4
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 2018-6-17 16:43
Hi, Glad to know that you were able to retrieve your aircraft after that collision and in any case that you encounter any problem on your spark due to that incident I would suggest contacting our support to send your unit to our repair facility. I strongly advise to as well that we should stay away from any interference or hazardous environment for us to avoid an accident and have maximized the usage of your drone.

DJI Tony,  my Spark was able to fly out of the tower and I continued to fly during that same trip.  Brought it back to me and went up 2 more times before calling it a morning.  Thanks for your concern.
2018-6-17
Use props
Flighty
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1977175 ft
Croatia

wow,, very lucky to survive that,, you were determined to get that good shot..
2018-6-17
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Just from the light, you could have gone the other way around the nest!
Lucky, indeed. Seems you've been inside the tower.
Oh, I like the airplane in the footage, from about 2:00
2018-6-17
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Lucky pilot
2018-6-17
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Very cool shots   
2018-6-17
Use props
Duke56
lvl.4
United States

S-e-ven Posted at 2018-6-17 22:13
Just from the light, you could have gone the other way around the nest!
Lucky, indeed. Seems you've been inside the tower.
Oh, I like the airplane in the footage, from about 2:00

I was in the flight path to Newark Airport.  I'm about ten miles from Newark so no worries there.  In the video and one of the pictures you can see the Newark sklyline in the distance.
2018-6-18
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
United States

I did not worry, I really like plane path like that in a drone video.
Alone the lenght of it in the frame tells it is quite in some distance.
I flew lately just outside the legal distance to an airport. That is much more difficult, to keep the planes in the focus.
2018-6-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules