5308 27 2018-6-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
photojeg
lvl.2
Flight distance : 233409 ft
  • >>>
United States

I live in Columbus, Georgia and my city borders Ft. Benning military post. DJI has created a 30km resticted no-fly zone that not only covers the military post but all of Columbus where it was legal to fly except near our airport previously. We have asked both Ft. Bennining and DJI for help in correcting this problem. I can no longer fly any DJI drones here. I will not buy any other DJI drones until this NFZ is corrected. A friend who has a Yuneec drone can fly in Columbus with no problem.

Can anyone at DJI help?
2018-6-17
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Sorry for this trouble. You may submit the request to unlock the NoFly Zone on this link: https://www.dji.com/flysafe?site=brandsite&from=nav
2018-6-18
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

I guess all you get from here is a request of contacting flysafe@dji.com with your issue.

If the official maps look anywhere like the below you have a bad case ...

2018-6-18
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

A P2 series will probably fly there
2018-6-18
Use props
photojeg
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2018-6-18 00:37
Sorry for this trouble. You may submit the request to unlock the NoFly Zone on this link: https://www.dji.com/flysafe?site=brandsite&from=nav

The unlock process is not acceptable. DJI should remove the restricted area so that it only affects the military post. Every other military base (e.g. Ft. Rucker) has restricted areas that do not spill over to civilian areas. DJI could fix this in a heartbeat if they wanted to.
2018-6-18
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

I am familiar with the Ft. Benning area, and this is ridiculous.  So much surrounding area should not be included.
2018-6-18
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

photojeg Posted at 2018-6-18 06:58
The unlock process is not acceptable. DJI should remove the restricted area so that it only affects the military post. Every other military base (e.g. Ft. Rucker) has restricted areas that do not spill over to civilian areas. DJI could fix this in a heartbeat if they wanted to.

If this does not unlock the request, you may send an email to flysafe@dji.com
2018-6-19
Use props
photojeg
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2018-6-19 08:51
If this does not unlock the request, you may send an email to

Natalia, two thoughts. DJI can fix this problem. Second, the unlock disables the multiple flight modes. Finally, I will be buying competitive drones that are not affected if this restriction over civilian areas that are legal to fly is not corrected.
2018-6-19
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>

photojeg Posted at 2018-6-19 10:54
Natalia, two thoughts. DJI can fix this problem. Second, the unlock disables the multiple flight modes. Finally, I will be buying competitive drones that are not affected if this restriction over civilian areas that are legal to fly is not corrected.

The other thing is that unlocking is only good for 2 days.
If you live in that area you have to request unlocking again and again.
2018-6-19
Use props
Mark Weiss
Second Officer
United States

I wonder if some crafty Russian hacker will find a way around this and publish a 'cracked' firmware? That's how it's always been in the software industry.
2018-6-19
Use props
photojeg
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Mark Weiss Posted at 2018-6-19 14:28
I wonder if some crafty Russian hacker will find a way around this and publish a 'cracked' firmware? That's how it's always been in the software industry.

They have.
2018-6-19
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

You properly still would be able to "hack" it yourself by using an older version of Assistant2 that has the parameter editing feature.
But the point in this is that if DJI wan't to limit our use and be in control of where/when we're flying they better do it right.
2018-6-20
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>

I think the point that DJI Natalia is making is that you can inform DJI via that link that the NFZ is incorrect. That may or may not make a difference. But perhaps if enough people were to report it as being wrong then DJI might do something to fix it or at least adjust it to make life a bit easier for some of their customers.
2018-6-20
Use props
photojeg
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2018-6-20 00:46
I think the point that DJI Natalia is making is that you can inform DJI via that link that the NFZ is incorrect. That may or may not make a difference. But perhaps if enough people were to report it as being wrong then DJI might do something to fix it or at least adjust it to make life a bit easier for some of their customers.

This has been extensively reported to DJI and Ft. Benning by residents of Columbus and surrounding areas for the past year ever since this situation occurred. DJI has done nothing. Only DJI can reduce or eliminate this restriction. DJI is well aware of the problem. Siince only Columbus and the immediate area is affected not enough protests are made, but I personally know of a dozen DJI owners who have complained. My only recourse apparently is to quit purchasing DJI drones.
2018-6-20
Use props
Xorg
lvl.1
Belgium

Their objective seems to be: prevent drone flight.
You are able to flight, but your are not able to film or take pictures!
Which is crazy! What they implemented is definitely not the right way! And more over in case you have a mission with all clearance from airport to fly above an airport, you are blocked by Dji, which is a complete non sense !
Ok, you can take contact with them to unlock your flight, but do you have any commitment it will be when you will be on site?
I do not have any guarantee
2019-5-20
Use props
Jeffvr4
New
Flight distance : 6713 ft
United States

I have the same problem here in NY. Been going back and forth with DJI and they keep telling me to contact the FAA who is not handing out authorizations in a red zone for the next few months.  This goes back and forth and I'm getting no where. I can't even fly it in my home. I've been flying this drone around my home for 1.5 years now, and all the sudden, I can't fly.  DJI is not helping. Considering to buy another brand.
2019-6-12
Use props
Tree Wolf
lvl.4
Flight distance : 451119 ft
United States

There is no LAANC instant authorization in the red zones, only in the green zones can you get LAANC auth.
You can file for a FAA Operational and a Airspace waiver to fly in the red zone on the FAA dronezone website.
If it's marked red on flysafe you can't fly, if it's blue you can get a dji unlock, and if it's orange you do a self unlock.

You can no longer get or call for clearance from the ATC to fly in B,C, or D airspace, you need a FAA waiver.
New rules went into effect in May 2019.
2019-6-12
Use props
BagoDJIoperator84
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1077608 ft
Trinidad and Tobago

Since this post is a year old, have you tried updating the NFZ they redesigned the NFZ for a true representation of the NFZ. Hope this helps.
2019-6-13
Use props
*DM*
Second Officer
Flight distance : 507087 ft
United Kingdom

Deleted. Wasn't aware this is an old thread ...
2019-6-13
Use props
TGale
lvl.1
United States

why doesn't dpi have a support team to address issues that are mentioned on the dpi forum boards, be proactive instead of reactive

2019-6-13
Use props
TGale
lvl.1
United States

why does DJI have a support team to address issues on the forum board. Trying being proactive instead of reactive.
2019-6-13
Use props
TGale
lvl.1
United States

DJI needs to be more proactive instead of reactive and they need to address issues on the DJI forum boards. It is so silly when all it is are software issues.
2019-6-13
Use props
TGale
lvl.1
United States

Xorg Posted at 5-20 22:37
Their objective seems to be: prevent drone flight.
You are able to flight, but your are not able to film or take pictures!
Which is crazy! What they implemented is definitely not the right way! And more over in case you have a mission with all clearance from airport to fly above an airport, you are blocked by Dji, which is a complete non sense !

FAA will soon make it impossible to fly a drone unless you pay for some huge fee to be hold a certificate to fly. It is just a matter of time, I am finding more and more places they are putting restrictions on to fly and changing the rules every year.
2019-6-13
Use props
TGale
lvl.1
United States

Tree Wolf Posted at 6-12 15:18
There is no LAANC instant authorization in the red zones, only in the green zones can you get LAANC auth.
You can file for a FAA Operational and a Airspace waiver to fly in the red zone on the FAA dronezone website.
If it's marked red on flysafe you can't fly, if it's blue you can get a dji unlock, and if it's orange you do a self unlock.

not if your drone software won't allow you to take off
2019-6-13
Use props
BagoDJIoperator84
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1077608 ft
Trinidad and Tobago

TGale Posted at 6-13 09:33

True, but if you get approval from them before you can submit the documents from the through DJI unlocking feature and they can unlock it for you through a verified process.
2019-6-13
Use props
Tree Wolf
lvl.4
United States

TGale Posted at 6-13 09:33

Your drone software works as intended. You just need to understand how US FAA airspace works using sectional charts that apply to where you want to fly your drone. Also understand how Flysafe works in conjunction with US FAA airspace.
Very soon all recreational drone pilots will need to take a FAA test in order to fly. If people don't understand airspace they shouldn't be flying. Airspace and sectional charts are easy to understand.
2019-6-13
Use props
Mark Weiss
Second Officer
United States

Some folks keep arguing that geofencing is good. But daily complaints like this just prove otherwise. Manned aircraft should not be flying 12" above the grass in your back yard. It should not the be FAA airspace to regulate in the first place.
2019-6-13
Use props
Tree Wolf
lvl.4
United States

I'm not saying it's good, but we have to live with it, and it's not going away.
It's just going to get more harsh on all drone pilots, recreational and certified in the future due to those who refuse to accept this fact.
Besides that, no one has the right to put others lives in danger just because they have no respect for others safety not abiding with long established rules.
That's selfish and arrogant to think some people have more rights than others. Most people are a@@holes. And you know they are going to fly where they shouldn't.

Would you drive down the interstate against traffic? just saying...
2019-6-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules