DIRECTOR - Not bad but could be better - Feature suggestion thread
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mvkilmer
lvl.2

United States

I took my Phantom 3 Pro out for the first time today and used the Director "video editor" in the DJI Pilot app to put together this quick vid on an iPhone 6+:

I was planning on editing and color correcting so everything is a bit flat since I shot manual settings and "log" color. I was pleasantly surprised at some of the features and then quickly realized it's limits.  Bottom line - it's great to quickly put together a quick vid of highlights from a shoot or two but not capable of any customization.  It basically plugs everything into a pre-defined template (choice of 4 currently) that locks in the timing of cuts and the music.  You can choose which part of the clips you use, after selecting them as "moments".  I quickly found myself wanting so many more features so I thought I'd start this thread so people can make suggestions of features. I would personally like to see:

- user defined templates
- user selected music
- "picture style" or some instagram-like filters
- HD export final video (and individual clips) to camera roll
- what else?

Again, I can't see this being pro-level anytime soon, but it useful and some small features and tweaks will go a long way to making it a much more enjoable in-app editor.  

Thoughts?

2015-5-15
Use props
nzcoastcopter
New

New Zealand

Or just continue using iMovie [free on iPhone 6] and enjoy way more features and flexibility...
2015-5-16
Use props
mvkilmer
lvl.2

United States

nzcoastcopter Posted at 2015-5-16 19:57
Or just continue using iMovie [free on iPhone 6] and enjoy way more features and flexibility...

That would be fine with me, but currently there's no way to export the cached video in the iphone/ipad to the camera roll or another app.
2015-5-16
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

It does seem like a major drawback that it appears to use the 720p cache'd Lightbridge footage rather than the sweet 4K (from the Pro) recorded straight to the microSD.

I guess you could copy footage from the P3 to the camera-roll when it is still on so you could edit with iMovie or something like that? But will the iDevice even playback 4K? I could not sync a 4K video I made (in Final Cut Pro X) to my iPad Air. I had to recompress it to 1080P.

The best way that offers the most control is to transfer your reel footage from your microSD to your computer and edit it there.

But it is - or would be - fun sometimes to do a quick cut on the iPad to show around.

-

Buy your DJI-gear, batteries, cases by using this link - it'll help me out

2015-5-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules