MY DRONE WAS STOLEN
49580 75 2018-6-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_b6aIOVnNxd7c
lvl.1

United States

I would also add that all these need service eventually. I know DJI requires  Everything except birth weight to process the service request. There is no way that they would not know or be able to see a stolen drone that comes in period I just got my magic air back and they know everything about me and it.  The FAA is getting so involved with pilot ID which would of course have to be linked to a particular craft I think it's a no brainer that finding a drone that is being operated.
2020-2-26
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

randy.sauder Posted at 2018-9-10 21:31
I agree, I think it is total BS that DJI 'can't' provide info on lost drones.  If a drone is stolen, the OWNER registers this drone with DJI.  Assuming the drone is flown again by anyone (eg. theifs) DJI's servers know exactly where the drone is via the flight logs when they are synced.  Every owner of a DJI drone should have full access to the flight records of the drones that they have registered.  This is in no way a privacy thing.   This would be EXACTLY the same system that both Apple and Android phones currently have.."Find my Phone".  Users/Owners should have access to remotely track their drones (for recovery purposes etc).  NOT having this ability is a huge security concern ...do you want who steals your drone to fly it into someone's property (or person) and have it crash with all your ownership info on the drone pointing blame AT YOU?? ( eg. your name/# ,. serial #, FAA Reg # etc).  Come on DJI!!!!!!!!!

Are you aware that it is quite possible to fly any of DJI's drones without any form of Internet connection, and also that not everyone syncs their flight records. I don't sync mine, as it is none of DJI's business and there are many like me. For those reasons alone, the aircraft would never show up again and could not be traced.
2020-2-26
Use props
USS Pretty-Bird NCC-1702
Second Officer
Flight distance : 872572 ft
Canada

Geebax Posted at 2-26 19:00
Are you aware that it is quite possible to fly any of DJI's drones without any form of Internet connection, and also that not everyone syncs their flight records. I don't sync mine, as it is none of DJI's business and there are many like me. For those reasons alone, the aircraft would never show up again and could not be traced.

Extremely limited example case.  Also, DJI could simply prevent any FW updates if the drone's serial # were 'blacklisted'.  FYI, there are laws being developed that will require all drones to have internet.
2020-4-10
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

USS Pretty-Bird NCC-1702 Posted at 4-10 20:08
Extremely limited example case.  Also, DJI could simply prevent any FW updates if the drone's serial # were 'blacklisted'.  FYI, there are laws being developed that will require all drones to have internet.

Bullcrap. It is a totally unworkable idea, as many people fly in remote areas where there is no internet connection available.
2020-4-19
Use props
fans6a108f8f
lvl.1
Flight distance : 59475 ft

India

I have lost my drone dji mavic mini theif in attack in myhouse how to get last fly location another
2020-6-1
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

fans6a108f8f Posted at 6-1 01:30
I have lost my drone dji mavic mini theif in attack in myhouse how to get last fly location another

There is no way.
2020-6-1
Use props
djiuser_iNRv22BNMznJ
lvl.1

United States

Need some help. 6 days ago  I landed my Mavi Mini drone in a tree  located on the edge of a public road . Not on any ones property. It had become dark before the landing attempt.  Both on my phone and with my eyes I could see the drone it was only 16 meters  above ground and literally 10 feet off the road . But i didn't have any way to get it and at 48 feet up in a tree thought it would be safe. So i left it for the night. My  DJI FLY APP showed the drone I  the tree and still does in flight records. But the next day I went back with equipment to retrieve it and it was not there so I went to the app hooked up controller just incase it would help with something. Any way I went to Profile pand pushed flash and beep and nothing and the drone had 37% battery when i left it so it should at least done that or the camera view should have worked but nothing. So I pushed find my drone and all 6 days it popsup in the house across the street. But he refuses to say he has it . What can i do?
2020-9-18
Use props
djiuser_iNRv22BNMznJ
lvl.1

United States

I am correct in thinking the tracking device is accurate , right?  Because when I lost my Spark in a forest for a  few days it led my right to it and I didn't land that drone it emergency landed a long ways away from me.
2020-9-18
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

djiuser_iNRv22BNMznJ Posted at 9-18 20:30
I am correct in thinking the tracking device is accurate , right?  Because when I lost my Spark in a forest for a  few days it led my right to it and I didn't land that drone it emergency landed a long ways away from me.

Am I correct in thinking the tracking device is accurate, right?  
You are not correct, since there is no tracking device.
Find-my-drone can only show you the last location that the app had contact with the drone.

It's hard to believe that FMD would be showing your drone inside someone's house.
This is only possible if the drone is powered up and turned on and is in contact with your controller.
It could well be that the guy across teh street doesn't have your drone at all.
2020-9-18
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

It's not doing anything because the battery is dead after hours of waiting unless someone had turned it off manually, extremely unlikely. Even then "he" would have to turn it back on just as you were "tracking" it. FMD is showing you the last known position during operation, no updates possible. I wish the battery in my Mini would last days long ;-)

The accuracy of the FMD feature depends on the accuracy of the device (phone, tablet, etc) you are using, which may change slightly from one day to the next.
2020-9-19
Use props
djiuser_iNRv22BNMznJ
lvl.1

United States

So he knew that I left the drone i. The tree and it shows in the tree with 37% battery at the end of the flight record. Then when I got back and hooked the controller up to the phone and went to find my drone it had changed locations to his house and battery shows a flashing hollow red battery shaped box.
A year ago my spark had emergency landed in a no fly zone hospital i was unaware of. But for 2 days the camera view would come on though it didn't help because it was under pine needle but both the tracking and the camera view was still active for almost 3 days and the location it was pinging was within a couple feet if that. And on this drone at the time I put it in the tree it was linked to 16 satellite ls. I was under th drone when it lightly landed on the tree branch and I saw it as i left and the app was showing in satellite view on the exact limb that I was looking at it on.
2020-9-20
Use props
djiuser_iNRv22BNMznJ
lvl.1

United States

I guess my question is if it was showing there and the battery died it should still show in that spot. But if someone were to get it and take it to here house and took the battery out wouldn't the position change? And with 37% battery left and not being lost or wrecked  the tracking or the camera view or something should still active for a day or so shouldn'tl it? And when i go to find my drone its showing the drone and the distance I am from it. So  that is not a reading that can be trusted is what you saying? If it is then this sucks bad because its not it the tree  where I left it or on the ground any where and it was only 5 to 10 feet to the side of the road so it wouldn't be hard to find at all especially since I've been over there looking everyday for six days.  until today
2020-9-20
Use props
djiuser_iNRv22BNMznJ
lvl.1

United States

If it can only show last position and my controller was still on for a long time in my back Seat only a couple blocks away then it would show if it was moved right? The pic is of both positions it shows that is making me crazy.
20200920_064721.jpg
2020-9-20
Use props
ffaxdavid
lvl.1
Flight distance : 840433 ft
United Kingdom

I agree, I think it is total BS that DJI 'can't' provide info on lost drones.  If a drone is stolen, the OWNER registers this drone with DJI.  Assuming the drone is flown again by anyone (eg. theifs) DJI's servers know exactly where the drone is via the flight logs when they are synced.  Every owner of a DJI drone should have full access to the flight records of the drones that they have registered.  This is in no way a privacy thing.   This would be EXACTLY the same system that both Apple and Android phones currently have.."Find my Phone".  Users/Owners should have access to remotely track their drones (for recovery purposes etc).  NOT having this ability is a huge security concern ...do you want who steals your drone to fly it into someone's property (or person) and have it crash with all your ownership info on the drone pointing blame AT YOU?? ( eg. your name/# ,. serial #, FAA Reg # etc).  Come on DJI!!!!!!!!!

they soon track its flight logs when try claim a flyaway on dji refresh i bet, so wtf cant they track it when its stolen ?
2020-11-12
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

ffaxdavid Posted at 11-12 09:02
they soon track its flight logs when try claim a flyaway on dji refresh i bet, so wtf cant they track it when its stolen ?

The only way that DJI can see your flight log is if you upload it to their sensors.
Unless you do that, the data stays in your drone and they have no way of seeing it.
2020-11-12
Use props
SparkedJoint818
lvl.1
Flight distance : 147884 ft

United States

Well since the drone is registered in my name, wouldn’t the thief now be flying around a drone showing up as if it were me? Like could the FAA try to hold me responsible if whomever stole my drone is now flying it illegally or in an illegal area? Also if APPLE can have FIND MY IPHONE work the way it does, then FIND MY DRONE SHOULD DO THE SAME!!! After all, since it’s registered and I paid over $1000 that’s funny Grandtheft and since it was from my car in my garage that’s able to be a strike in CA!!!!
2021-2-16
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

SparkedJoint818 Posted at 2-16 09:39
Well since the drone is registered in my name, wouldn’t the thief now be flying around a drone showing up as if it were me? Like could the FAA try to hold me responsible if whomever stole my drone is now flying it illegally or in an illegal area? Also if APPLE can have FIND MY IPHONE work the way it does, then FIND MY DRONE SHOULD DO THE SAME!!! After all, since it’s registered and I paid over $1000 that’s funny Grandtheft and since it was from my car in my garage that’s able to be a strike in CA!!!!

Well since the drone is registered in my name, wouldn’t the thief now be flying around a drone showing up as if it were me?
Except that your drone doesn't "show up" at all.

Also if APPLE can have FIND MY IPHONE work the way it does, then FIND MY DRONE SHOULD DO THE SAME!!!
Apple can do that because a mobile phone is constantly reporting in to the cell phone network.
DJI drones don't ever report in to anywhere.

2021-2-16
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

I agree, I think it is total BS that DJI 'can't' provide info on lost drones.  If a drone is stolen, the OWNER registers this drone with DJI.  Assuming the drone is flown again by anyone (eg. theifs) DJI's servers know exactly where the drone is via the flight logs when they are synced.  Every owner of a DJI drone should have full access to the flight records of the drones that they have registered.  This is in no way a privacy thing.   This would be EXACTLY the same system that both Apple and Android phones currently have.."Find my Phone".  Users/Owners should have access to remotely track their drones (for recovery purposes etc).  NOT having this ability is a huge security concern ...do you want who steals your drone to fly it into someone's property (or person) and have it crash with all your ownership info on the drone pointing blame AT YOU?? ( eg. your name/# ,. serial #, FAA Reg # etc).  Come on DJI!!!!!!!!!

"Assuming the drone is flown again by anyone (eg. theifs) DJI's servers know exactly where the drone is via the flight logs when they are synced."

Who says you have to sync your flight records. I am on my second DJI drone in 6 years and have never once synced my flight records.
2021-2-16
Use props
djiuser_anKnVmsRDUmB
lvl.1

Netherlands

Update from September 2021, DJI does not care AT ALL if your drone gets stolen. The police does not care neither. Sorry for this harsh truth, I am never investing into expensive drones again given how little help you get into a problem.
2021-9-4
Use props
djiuser_anKnVmsRDUmB
lvl.1

Netherlands

Update from September 2021, DJI does not care AT ALL if your drone gets stolen. The police does not care neither. Sorry for this harsh truth, I am never investing into expensive drones again given how little help you get into a problem.
2021-9-4
Use props
djiuser_anKnVmsRDUmB
lvl.1

Netherlands

2021-9-4
Use props
NinjaTurltezz
lvl.1

Netherlands

2021-9-4
Use props
NinjaTurltezz
lvl.1

Netherlands

2021-9-4
Use props
NinjaTurlezz
lvl.1

Netherlands

2021-9-4
Use props
NinjaTurlezz
lvl.1

Netherlands

2021-9-4
Use props
ABeardedItalian
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1063107 ft
United States

NinjaTurlezz Posted at 9-4 03:18

And this is why Drone Insurance exists, my drone could break, fly away, land in the ocean, or i could just tell them I lost it and be cut a check for FULL cost of the drone. You can't count on DJI for crap, they have a fly away program and it's only for 2 drones, no continuity what so ever amongst it's products. We offer a fly away program, don't you think all our flying drones should be covered? Nah.
2021-9-4
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

NinjaTurlezz Posted at 9-4 03:18

DJI won't do anything because there's nothing that they can do.
What were you expecting them to do?
2021-9-4
Use props
djiuser_knOrwt3l2OZv
lvl.1
Flight distance : 314377 ft
United Kingdom

If the stolen drone is ever switched on the GPS will activate & u will find it on ur app in find my drone. I lost mine & found it using its GPS signal. Luckily only had to travel 7 miles. Its just a matter of when they switch it on. & also u should see it register on ur flight record. Also if registered with CAA let them know just incase it comes on there screen once reached certain hight.  Good luck.
2022-1-29
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_knOrwt3l2OZv Posted at 1-29 09:47
If the stolen drone is ever switched on the GPS will activate & u will find it on ur app in find my drone. I lost mine & found it using its GPS signal. Luckily only had to travel 7 miles. Its just a matter of when they switch it on. & also u should see it register on ur flight record. Also if registered with CAA let them know just incase it comes on there screen once reached certain hight.  Good luck.

Are you saying that your drone was found by someone who then charged it and, 7 miles from your position, switched it on, or are you suggesting that it few 7 miles???
If so please explain how the drone communicated its position to the phone after its loss?
As far as I know GPS is not a two way communication system (meaning the drone could not have reported its position via the GPS system),nor do any DJI controllers have a ground level communication range of 7 miles, trees, hills, and buildings would get in the way. Besides which most DJI drones do not communicate directly with the phone. Nor can a drone report its position via the mobile phone network (the basis of Samsungs "find my phone" feature).
Yes you might have found you drone using the "find my drone" feature but that position was sent to the phone and recorded by the phone whilst the drone was in communication with the phone VIA the controller. Also you could have activated the find my phone fucntion as soon as the drone was lost, when you were probably within one or two miles of the drone.
Nor, as far as I know, do the CAA have ANY records of what drones are connected to a hobby pilot's registration, how on earth would they know if a drone was 400ft AGL.

2022-1-29
Use props
Staffydog33
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1348881 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The frustrating thing for me is that I know who stole my drone as I chased him but he got away and ran into a business where he works I phoned the police but they did not do anything so sadly well sadly for him I am going to do it my own way.

I even emailed him a couple of times saying look give me the money for the drone or buy me a new drone and that we'll leave it at that but if you we have to do things the hard way then they are going to be hard and you are going to lose and you are going to suffer.

One day I was walking down the road and I saw the **** walk into his business where he works and I shouted at him look can I have my drone please and the amount of abuse he was shouting back at me was absolutely unbelievable so I'm afraid he may or may not have to suffer via his car to the value of five times DJ mini 2 combo.

The mad thing is I rang the business and a female secretary answered the phone and explained the situation and she went absolutely mental on this to God men women I've never ever seen such verbal aggression in my entire life.

I had a very strange dream that somebody... not me but somebody caused a lot of damage to their business 10 times the value of the drone they stole look who's laughing now that was a crazy dream obviously, me I wouldn't do anything I'm not violent I did not a criminal so I just say in a dream.
2023-5-16
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Staffydog33 Posted at 5-16 14:02
The frustrating thing for me is that I know who stole my drone as I chased him but he got away and ran into a business where he works I phoned the police but they did not do anything so sadly well sadly for him I am going to do it my own way.

I even emailed him a couple of times saying look give me the money for the drone or buy me a new drone and that we'll leave it at that but if you we have to do things the hard way then they are going to be hard and you are going to lose and you are going to suffer.

It really is rather stupid to make such comments on a public forum, it's probably a perfect demonstration of premeditation should the other person be assaulted or their property damaged.
2023-5-16
Use props
djiuser_khMbqva0FCiF
lvl.1

United States

That’s straight bull..., you’re telling me that my thousands of dollars worth of  DJI drones that I have worked so hard for, and if someone m steals it, it can’t be tracked because of privacy or data protection.. are you f-in kidding me… don’t worry Mr Thief we’re Protecting who you are and where your flying my f-in drone that I worked my f-in ass off just for your bitch ass to bolt cut my storage locker and steal it…   I should know where MY F-in drone and who.the scumbag is that stole it.. I should be able to see my drones gps system using my apps find my drone. You connect your drone to the phone when you pilot, right there it should update on your fly logs… I cannot believe you have not implemented this on your drones.  
Remind me not to buy the inspire 3. I’d rather just jack someone else’s. Why you be bull...ting.
An actual gps tracker??? theyll find it and toss it out just like they did…  2 fpv drones, avata & 2 mini pro 3 w/2 smart controllers: all w/fly more packages GONE!!
3-17 18:05
Use props
djiuser_khMbqva0FCiF
lvl.1

United States

Staffydog33 Posted at 2023-5-16 14:02

Hell yeah.. let me know if you need a lawyer!! I won’t charge you
3-17 18:07
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

djiuser_khMbqva0FCiF Posted at 3-17 18:05
That’s straight bull..., you’re telling me that my thousands of dollars worth of  DJI drones that I have worked so hard for, and if someone m steals it, it can’t be tracked because of privacy or data protection.. are you f-in kidding me… don’t worry Mr Thief we’re Protecting who you are and where your flying my f-in drone that I worked my f-in ass off just for your bitch ass to bolt cut my storage locker and steal it…   I should know where MY F-in drone and who.the scumbag is that stole it.. I should be able to see my drones gps system using my apps find my drone. You connect your drone to the phone when you pilot, right there it should update on your fly logs… I cannot believe you have not implemented this on your drones.  
Remind me not to buy the inspire 3. I’d rather just jack someone else’s. Why you be bull...ting.
An actual gps tracker??? theyll find it and toss it out just like they did…  2 fpv drones, avata & 2 mini pro 3 w/2 smart controllers: all w/fly more packages GONE!!

That’s straight bull..., you’re telling me that my thousands of dollars worth of  DJI drones that I have worked so hard for, and if someone m steals it, it can’t be tracked because of privacy or data protection.. are you f-in kidding me.
Are you the one that's kidding?
You don't seem to realise that your drone doesn't phone home to tel DJI where it is and what it's doing.
The drone and controller only have a very limited range that can only reach a couple of miles.
How are you thinking that DJI have any idea what your drone is doing, whether you have it or it's stolen?

I should be able to see my drones gps system using my apps find my drone.
That would only work if there's a connection between the drone and your controller.
Without that the controller has no way to tell where the drone is.

3-17 18:17
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

djiuser_khMbqva0FCiF Posted at 3-17 18:07
Hell yeah.. let me know if you need a lawyer!! I won’t charge you

You are responding to a post that's a year old ... he probably doesn't need your help.
And if he wanted help, it would be better to get it from someone who actually understands how drones work.
3-17 18:18
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 3-17 18:18
You are responding to a post that's a year old ... he probably doesn't need your help.
And if he wanted help, it would be better to get it from someone who actually understands how drones work.

@Labroides - nailed it.
3-19 10:18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules