New problem on a boat
2097 18 2018-6-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jaws369
lvl.1
Flight distance : 319990 ft
United States

New one for me today.  Took my MA on a boat to take some awesome video stripper fishing and after turn on, it asked for a calibration   Which I did on the bow.  Then I started the motors and left it idling to show my friends the screen.  After about 3 to 5 seconds, not touching the sticks, it spun to full power and flew up and directly in my direction.  Hit my leg and hand.  Nice gash cut into leg.  I learned on another site that someone else had a similar experience, but I did not command take off.

So is it IMU, Compass, firmware or joystick?   Anyone else have this happen?  I would HATE to think the MA would take off, even with boat pitching, unless a T/O cmd was asked for.

Thanks.

2018-6-18
Use props
LoSBoL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 666483 ft
Netherlands

Just curious, was the boat moving by any chance?

And I don't know the answer to the next question either, but like to know, what does a MA do when you turn on the engines and move it around?
2018-6-18
Use props
Tyredecals.com
lvl.4
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

To the OP... i think you don't have an understanding on how your Mavic works.
The boat you are on is probably made of metal. This throws the compass off and the app will ask you to calibrate the compass. There is no need to calibrate the compass. Just raise the mavic above your head in the air and hand launch.
As for it launching by itself, i am not sure why. Even if you are moving, the mavic will not take off unless you give it stick inputs.
2018-6-18
Use props
GDL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Singapore

May be you touch the takeoff button on App?
2018-6-18
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>

Dude! how can you think you can do a calibration and IMU on a rocking boat??? As Tyre mentioned above, metal a NO NO, rocking motion NO NO. Reading the manual is YES YES YES!
2018-6-18
Use props
GDL
lvl.4
Singapore

I never take off for moving platform. It’s possible the IMU unable to warm up correctly when power up aircraft in motion. Need others to confirm can MA takeoff on motion platform or not.
2018-6-18
Use props
InvisibleName 7
lvl.4
Flight distance : 795653 ft
Switzerland

As was discussed on the other site, once you’ve started the rotors the MA is waiting for a launch command. Normally this would be by pushing the ascend stick forward. However, if you wish to do a throw launch, the rotors will self accelerate to accommodate this.

In your case, you were on a moving platform & it would appear that the MA interpreted this as a throw launch, hence the take off!
2018-6-19
Use props
GDL
lvl.4
Singapore

You can launch MA by throw it out? Not see this on the user manual. Is this a hidden function? I don’t think I want to try that.
2018-6-19
Use props
Bokepacha
lvl.4
Flight distance : 149265 ft
Netherlands

InvisibleName 7 Posted at 2018-6-19 00:00
As was discussed on the other site, once you’ve started the rotors the MA is waiting for a launch command. Normally this would be by pushing the ascend stick forward. However, if you wish to do a throw launch, the rotors will self accelerate to accommodate this.

In your case, you were on a moving platform & it would appear that the MA interpreted this as a throw launch, hence the take off!

It's the first time I hear about it too, but I remember one time I had the drone in my hand and while I was trying to find a way to let it take off automatically, I raised my hand and it took off by itself...
2018-6-19
Use props
Robothamster
lvl.3
Flight distance : 51135 ft
United Kingdom

GDL Posted at 2018-6-19 00:06
You can launch MA by throw it out? Not see this on the user manual. Is this a hidden function? I don’t think I want to try that.

No, don't throw it!

Just hold it in the palm of your outstretched hand and swipe the apps takeoff command with your other hand.
2018-6-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Czechia

Just to reiterate what others have said calibration on a boat is a no no, why it would take off I’m not sure, if the boat was moving and you lost signal , is it possible that it went into what ever setting you had for loss of RC signal. IE land hover or RTH .
I have had something similar happen some years ago with a P4, so I landed it some 30 metres from where I was standing, it was still turned on I was talking to someone not concentrating and just turned off RC, with that action P4 just took off and went to RTH mode , correct procedure is when you land is turn off aircraft.
In your case as I said I’m not sure remember you can also initiate start automatically.
2018-6-19
Use props
Jaws369
lvl.1
United States

dronist Posted at 2018-6-18 19:37
Dude! how can you think you can do a calibration and IMU on a rocking boat??? As Tyre mentioned above, metal a NO NO, rocking motion NO NO. Reading the manual is YES YES YES!

I did not, nor did I intend to imply I did an IMU cal on the boat.  However it did require a compass cal on the boat.  When you are out in the ocean and a long way from land, I had no choice, so went to the bow to hold it away from things to do the compass cal.
2018-6-19
Use props
Jaws369
lvl.1
United States

InvisibleName 7 Posted at 2018-6-19 00:00
As was discussed on the other site, once you’ve started the rotors the MA is waiting for a launch command. Normally this would be by pushing the ascend stick forward. However, if you wish to do a throw launch, the rotors will self accelerate to accommodate this.

In your case, you were on a moving platform & it would appear that the MA interpreted this as a throw launch, hence the take off!

This is new info to me.  I had no idea the MA could do a throw launch.  Quite interesting actually.  I will try this.  How did you know it could do this?  I have never seen it written up on anything.  Just curious...
2018-6-19
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Jaws369 Posted at 2018-6-19 04:02
This is new info to me.  I had no idea the MA could do a throw launch.  Quite interesting actually.  I will try this.  How did you know it could do this?  I have never seen it written up on anything.  Just curious...

Hi,

Just go to the top floor of a high building, start the engines and throw it away from you!
Please make a video with another cam....

Oke, now serious, too many mishaps are due to kind of silly excercises, so just take off from a normal spot, do all the checks before and at hover. Happy flying!

Cheers
JJB
2018-6-19
Use props
Jaws369
lvl.1
United States

Ok - so just so everyone understands here is how the current system works when using it.
1. After you turn on the entire system and it finishes the checks you are ready.
2.  I wait until I have confirmation of valid gps and a confirmed home position.
3.  once you start the motors, the system is basically armed and will respond.
4.  If you are on a moving platform, the system will react to hold itself there, regardless of if you commanded it or not.  It is Assumed Consent once you start the motors.  According to the MANY "experts" that have been telling me everything on the various websites, once you turn on the props - you have given control to the drone and that is the best way....
5.  If you own a boat, race a boat, sail in any moving seas - the MA is not for you for this reason.  I have about 8 drones from $40 to $2500 each and this is the ONLY one I own, that does not have a 1) start Interlock and 2) a throttle up interlock to ensure the drone does not take off without clearance.  It is also the best one that I own, but I guess not for boats.  

What is great is all the people telling me what I need the drone for and what I need to use it for.  LOL

Thanks,
Jaws
2018-6-19
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>

Jaws369 Posted at 2018-6-19 04:00
I did not, nor did I intend to imply I did an IMU cal on the boat.  However it did require a compass cal on the boat.  When you are out in the ocean and a long way from land, I had no choice, so went to the bow to hold it away from things to do the compass cal.

Then I would have hold off the URGE to fly... PERIOD!
2018-6-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Jaws369 Posted at 2018-6-19 04:58
Ok - so just so everyone understands here is how the current system works when using it.
1. After you turn on the entire system and it finishes the checks you are ready.
2.  I wait until I have confirmation of valid gps and a confirmed home position.

Wow you own a €2500 drone and MavAir is better, what drone is this.
2018-6-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Jaws369 Posted at 2018-6-19 04:58
1. After you turn on the entire system and it finishes the checks you are ready.

You still have not explained what happened on your crash did you use auto take off.
2018-6-22
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

At least in case of Mavic Pro, once props have been started, all it takes is up/down movement of Mavic Pro to get it to Rev up motors and start flying.

You can skip to 1-Minute time mark.

UPDATE: On another forum, the word is Mavic Air will do same.  

Boat's up/down movement due to waves, can cause Mavic's to think they are in flight, or being hand launched with quick upward lift, followed by quick downward lower.

2018-6-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules