Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
This multi charger fried my battery in a second! Don't buy!!!
2728 18 2015-5-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
syujihonda
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281651105196

I wasted my $150 battery in a second when I plugged in the power cable to this multi charger that doesn't work.
2015-5-16
Use props
Muzzy
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Sure glad you posted this, I was looking at this item a few days ago. I don't think I'll bother to get one!

Sorry about your battery man.

Muzzy.
2015-5-16
Use props
druefenacht.gmx
lvl.1

Switzerland

syujihonda
Would you please explain us what has happend during that distroing charge cycle?
2015-5-16
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Could you please provide us how this happened? You had your stock (100 watt) power supply connected to the strip connector with only one battery connected? How is that going to destroy the TB47 battery? That would be a one to one charge connection at the very least. The three way battery strips cannot possibly work with the standard power supply, this has already been discussed on other threads.

Please explain your comments above.

Rich
2015-5-16
Use props
dundee
First Officer
Flight distance : 33550 ft

Thailand

RichJ53 Posted at 2015-5-17 03:37
Could you please provide us how this happened? You had your stock (100 watt) power supply connected  ...

IMO a shortcut on the strip
2015-5-16
Use props
pb05life
lvl.2

United States

Not sure how it could have been the cause, I have used mine many times and what I have seen is it will only charge one at a time. sometimes you have to restart the battery manually but it doesn't make extra voltage which is the only thing that can fry a battery
2015-5-16
Use props
syujihonda
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

I connected a battery to the strip first.  Then I connected the charger to the strip.  I heard strange quiet sound from a battery.  I pressed the power button on battery, but it didn't light up.  I connected DJI charger directly to the battery, but it didn't come back.  No lights.  I noticed slight bloating on the battery that was fried in a second.
2015-5-16
Use props
michaelanthony.
lvl.2

United States

dundee Posted at 2015-5-17 03:51
IMO a shortcut on the strip

I agree, you probably have a short circuit in the strip.
2015-5-16
Use props
syujihonda
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

michaelanthony. Posted at 2015-5-17 12:54
I agree, you probably have a short circuit in the strip.

Yes, I believe that was the case.  $150 gone in 1 second because of this stupid strip charger wanna be.
2015-5-17
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

There are electronics in the battery itself. By pairing 2 batteries on a strip like that you are doubling the amount of current being supplied. If the batteries are not drawing the exact same amount of current which is unlikely you are asking for disaster. the battery that does not need very much current to bring it to a full charge is going to have it thrown at it anyway. The circuitry in the batteries are going to be completely confused.That is why it only took a second to fry the battery. Most multi battery chargers have a separate bay for each battery.
2015-5-17
Use props
syujihonda
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

rodger Posted at 2015-5-17 22:22
There are electronics in the battery itself. By pairing 2 batteries on a strip like that you are dou ...

I only connected 1 battery.
2015-5-17
Use props
GENETTICO
lvl.3

United States

rodger Posted at 2015-5-17 22:22
There are electronics in the battery itself. By pairing 2 batteries on a strip like that you are dou ...

Not sure I agree with anything you said Rodger! No disrespect! Maybe I am misunderstanding you...

2 batteries drawing from the same PSU will not double the current, it will decrease it in half to each battery.... The PSU will not give more than what it can give... So if you have for example a 100watts power supply and you have a battery that draws 50 watts you will effectively be using about 50% of what the PSU can provide as power... If you have 2 batteries then you will be asking 100% capacity of the PSU.

If you have 2 batteries drawing in parallel it does not matter that they  are asking different amperage rates as long as the PSU can provide it... I.e one battery is only asking 25watts and the other 50watts leaving 25watts if we continue using our example from above.

Hope this helps, and if I misunderstood you please take my apologies in advanced.
2015-5-17
Use props
rodger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

syujihonda Posted at 2015-5-18 10:38
I only connected 1 battery.

Then there are larger issues with the unit pictured such as the regulator or filtering and rectifying to provide clean DC.
2015-5-20
Use props
rodger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

GENETTICO Posted at 2015-5-18 11:59
Not sure I agree with anything you said Rodger! No disrespect! Maybe I am misunderstanding you...  ...

The battery will only take what it needs. My point is that the current is available and will be present at the circuitry in the battery. When you put batteries in series the voltage adds and the current remains the same. When put in parallel the voltage stays the same and the current doubles. Point being is that the current is present at the circuitry in the DJI battery. The DJI batteries are smart batteries in that there are components other than the cells. That is why you have all of the battery information on your pilot program. There is also a circuit in the battery that will discharge it for storage after a time period of no use. Batteries in parallel will demand more current and if the charging unit such last the one in the post at the selling price id definitely not of a good quality. Put a volt meter in series (in the amperage mode) and watch the amount of current being drawn and then add another battery in parallel and see what is going on.
2015-5-20
Use props
GENETTICO
lvl.3

United States

rodger Posted at 2015-5-20 19:47
The battery will only take what it needs. My point is that the current is available and will be pr ...

I think I know now where the confusion is..... I feel like we are talking about two different things yet expressing accurate information depending..... One of them is batteries by themselves, not being charged, rather discharging them and being turned ON on different configurations and then putting a load to check their resulting voltages and amperages  vs turned OFF and  being charged and measuring the voltage and amperage of the PSU if you connect two batteries on one terminal either in series or in parallel.

Discharging batteries:

if you connect two batteries by themselves (no PSU talk  here) in series and turn batteries on, then the resulting voltage will increase and the amperage stays the same... As you mentioned ..That is if the over voltage protection on batteries do not detect the voltage on circuitry and turn themselves off to protect itself.

If you connect 2 batteries in parallel and turn batteries on  (No PSU involved) and again, measure the voltage and amperage by having a load in it to read the amperage,  The voltage will stay the same and NOW the amperage doubles...

CHARGING BATTERIES
Now... If  we talk about the PSU (which is what I feel we should be talking about since he is not trying to discharge batteries but to charge them) lets assume the PSU is the DJI supplied one at 100watts capacity, and you put 2 batteries in parallel to a single terminal lead coming from the PSU, and measure the amperage draw at the batteries, the current available from the PSU would not double from say 100 watts to 200 watts... There is still only 100 watts available... and it wil have that to ditribute among the 2 batteries... So, if each battery is asking 50 watts each, then the PSU would be running at 100% capacity.if they are both asking 100watts each then the PSU would still only have 100watts to give but the batteries would only be getting about 50 watts each...the PSU may get estremely hot, maybe even burn out. If  I wanted to follow your explanation, then I would have to put 2 PSU's in parallell to increase the current two fold, the same would go for the voltage when in series.
However, if you read the original posting and title, he was not trying to turn on batteries and draw power from them, also he only connected 1 battery. I assume the charging strip he bought runs parallel not in series, otherwise it would not make sense... So effectively he is putting 3 charging terminals to a single one coming from PSU...

If the battery burned out while charging a single battery (maybe he was just testing strip) so then I agree with the concensus, and that probably it short cicuited. The battery  is supposed to have built in protection to counter act this, but then again... Our birds are not supposed to loose gps signal and crash onto a wall...

Anyways... Sorry about the battery!
2015-5-20
Use props
jon
lvl.3

United Kingdom

If that has one, or two batteries connected, does it not leave exposed spade connectors where batteries are not connected (empty bay) that are live? (connected to battery and power supply) seems like a recipe for a short / burn up to me.  Also can't see the point in it, as it cannot charge the 2, or 3 connected batteries at the same rate that it would charge one, due to the limitations of the power supply.
2015-5-20
Use props
GENETTICO
lvl.3

United States

jon@thefullers. Posted at 2015-5-21 01:52
If that has one, or two batteries connected, does it not leave exposed spade connectors where batter ...

All true and great Points! Maybe with the exception that it would only charge one... i think It would charge more than one... i dont know whqt type of circutry is in the PSU and if it will protect itself or not.... But I would expect  PSU would be hot... Maybe a fire hazard for sure... If it lets you charge 2 or even 3 batts!

2015-5-20
Use props
jon
lvl.3

United Kingdom

GENETTICO Posted at 2015-5-21 08:49
All true and great Points! Maybe with the exception that it would only charge one... i think It wo ...

Wasn't really suggesting it wouldn't charge more than one, just that with only 100 watts available, charging two will likely take twice as long as one. So cannot see the point of it.

I guess if it worked, you could at least set it charging three and leave it overnight, avoiding the need to change the power supply to each batt as they finish charging. But that means leaving it unnatended, which appears to be a no-no.

I'd just buy extra power supplies (in fact I have done exactly that, as I have three power supplies and five batteries).
2015-5-21
Use props
GENETTICO
lvl.3

United States

jon@thefullers. Posted at 2015-5-21 17:25
Wasn't really suggesting it wouldn't charge more than one, just that with only 100 watts available, ...

My apologies. Just misinterpreted/misread your post. Yes, too dangerous to leave overnigth.
2015-5-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules