MA Fly away Flight log
1898 11 2018-6-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
PappyD
lvl.2
Flight distance : 343816 ft
United States

Had a fly away last month, Hope I uploaded the proper files.
  I just started to fly and within a second or two, the MA had a mind of it's own, off it went and into a grove of palm trees it flew. I searched with the 'find my drone' part of the App. the sound and light flashing button in the App. made it a little easier to find in the tall grass. I don't know if I was at fault or if there was another issue. I contacted DJI to try to purchase one of the little black landing gear legs on the back arm have yet to hear anything. let me know your thoughts.

DJIFlightRecord_2018-05-07_[19-31-06]log.zip (93.28 KB, Down times: 9)
2018-6-20
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there, In this case, it is highly recommended sending the drone back for repair. Your drone will undergo damage assessment and we will know if the cause of the issue is pilot error or manufacturing defect. Please click on "Reply" to make sure I can get notification from your reply.
2018-6-20
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

Here is your flightrecord: http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/EZHRBSPD9ABHAI94V7YV/
Luckily it flew in that direction.
2018-6-20
Use props
PappyD
lvl.2
Flight distance : 343816 ft
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 2018-6-20 04:01
Hi there, In this case, it is highly recommended sending the drone back for repair. Your drone will undergo damage assessment and we will know if the cause of the issue is pilot error or manufacturing defect. Please click on "Reply" to make sure I can get notification from your reply.

My MA has been flying fine since then. I have had no other issues since that fly away. I would like to get the little black piece for the landing gear . I spoke with support about it, they took all my information and I have yet to hear anything else.

I have updated the firmware since then and re calibrated the compass, gimball and the other options from the DJI Assistant that it offered.
2018-6-20
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi PappyD,

Had a look at your flight. See my charts.

When u press RTH your MA could not fight its way back due to high wind. There was a warning land ASAP, guess u missed that one.
After canceling RTH MA got several errors, so it went into ATTI for a while.
Last records in GPS mode, steady at 194 meter away from your homepoint.

If i may....if you press RTH check your little compass in the app and check if the distance is decreasing. In your case the distance increased, so beacuse the heading to home is OK cancel RTH home, switch to Sport mode and fully forward. If that does not work (decreasing distance) than land somewhere safe.

During RTH few weird YAW heading excursion happend, a motor obstructed as well.  (did it hit a bird?)
Mayby because of the error "NotEnoughPower" if did not kept his height.

cheers
JJB
analysis1.png
analysis2.png
analysis3.png
2018-6-22
Use props
Brantel
lvl.4
Flight distance : 294997 ft
United States

JJBspark Posted at 2018-6-22 00:52
Hi PappyD,

Had a look at your flight. See my charts.

Nice, can I ask where you got the tool your using for analysis?  Is that something home-brew or is it available somewhere?
2018-6-22
Use props
SparksBird
First Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

Brantel Posted at 2018-6-22 05:19
Nice, can I ask where you got the tool your using for analysis?  Is that something home-brew or is it available somewhere?

He actually made it himself.  He has a link somewhere for it.
2018-6-22
Use props
Brantel
lvl.4
Flight distance : 294997 ft
United States

SparksBird Posted at 2018-6-22 05:24
He actually made it himself.  He has a link somewhere for it.

Thanks I found it!

2018-6-22
Use props
GDL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Hong Kong

Why DJI not provide tools like that for pilot to analysis the flight log?
2018-6-22
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

If you have any question, just ask.

It kind of "first-line-analyzing tool", just to make drone flyers more aware what they doing!

cheers
JJB
2018-6-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Hi first off sorry about your crash, glad you found it and take dji paladin advice, send in to get checked.

Looking at your log, IMU EXCEPTION HEADING warning came up pretty early in flight log, this is a direct problem with your IMU usually caused by an error with your compass, from your log I can see you took off from a car park, this leads me think that you picked up compass problem on the ground from some interference either rebar on the ground or close to metal objects.

When this occurs what happens is once your aircraft leaves the interference compass will correct itself, but leaves behind errors with IMU causing problems with the attitude of your aircraft, which often lead to aircraft going to Atti mode during your flight.
Yes on first warning you should have landed, later in your flight as Aircraft went into RTH mode, it was trying to reach its RTH altitude but as JB said wind was blowing it backwards it never reached its RTH height likely caused by strong wind. Then loss of gps because of recurring IMU heading problem and aircraft dropping to Atti mode, before it flew away .

The area you take off from should always be clear of any possible magnetic interference, like rebar concrete , buried power lines, large metal objects ie cars, and once you get warning of aircraft going to Atti mode you should always try to land safely immediately .

Also in similar wind conditions, when aircraft goes to RTH mode you can still control aircraft altitude and it’s forward movements, in your case lower RTH altitude if it’s safe and push full forward on your elevator, right hand stick, it will increase the pitch of your aircraft and it will fly faster.
But most important always start your outward journey flight, into the wind, that way at least if you get into trouble aircraft will be returning your way.

Good Luck.
2018-6-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Hi first off sorry about your crash, glad you found it and take dji paladin advice, send in to get checked.

Looking at your log, IMU EXCEPTION HEADING warning came up pretty early in flight log, this is a direct problem with your IMU usually caused by an error with your compass, from your log I can see you took off from a car park, this leads me think that you picked up compass problem on the ground from some interference either rebar on the ground or close to metal objects.

When this occurs what happens is once your aircraft leaves the interference compass will correct itself, but leaves behind errors with IMU causing problems with the attitude of your aircraft, which often lead to aircraft going to Atti mode during your flight.
Yes on first warning you should have landed, later in your flight as Aircraft went into RTH mode, it was trying to reach its RTH altitude but as JB said wind was blowing it backwards it never reached its RTH height likely caused by strong wind. Then loss of gps because of recurring IMU heading problem and aircraft dropping to Atti mode, before it flew away .

The area you take off from should always be clear of any possible magnetic interference, like rebar concrete , buried power lines, large metal objects ie cars, and once you get warning of aircraft going to Atti mode you should always try to land safely immediately .

Also in similar wind conditions, when aircraft goes to RTH mode you can still control aircraft altitude and it’s forward movements, in your case lower RTH altitude if it’s safe and push full forward on your elevator, right hand stick, it will increase the pitch of your aircraft and it will fly faster.
But most important always start your outward journey flight, into the wind, that way at least if you get into trouble aircraft will be returning your way.

Good Luck.
2018-6-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules