Thoughts on Mavic Air - is it worth getting right now?
12Next >
2514 49 2018-6-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Wireframe
lvl.2
Flight distance : 7441 ft
Germany

So right now we have a kind of sale promotion in Russia (which means that our prices now are finally down to "regular" European pricetag. That's still a good thing here).
I am thinking of getting myself an Mavic Air Fly More combo to replace/add to my Spark - as MA has almost twice the flight time and a lot of improvement in video quality department. Redundant compass and navigation sensors also add to the picture.

Keeping in mind that Mavic Air is my top at what I can pay for the drone - do you think I should get it now? Or should I wait for 7/18 announcement? Whatever that is going to be, i don't think it will be priced at the same (or below) the Mavic Air price.

All two cents are welcome.
2018-6-22
Use props
alpbird
lvl.3
Flight distance : 779281 ft
Turkey

All I can say is that DJI Mavic Air is the Ferrari of the drones. You should not waste even a second to buy it no matter how much it is sold.  Amazing video quality, balance, and flying on sport mode is really fun.
2018-6-22
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Great drone for sure but I would wait until 18 July if you can and see what, if anything, DJI has next.
2018-6-22
Use props
Wireframe
lvl.2
Germany

A CW Posted at 2018-6-22 02:32
Great drone for sure but I would wait until 18 July if you can and see what, if anything, DJI has next.

I am just afraid that our promotion would end, MA will jump up 100 euro to old price and presented product will be nowhere in the price between Spark and Air
2018-6-22
Use props
Drone-Mike
lvl.4

United Kingdom

If the MA is at the top of your price bracket I'd go for it! Educated guess is that anything new will be more expensive anyway.
2018-6-22
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Wireframe Posted at 2018-6-22 02:41
I am just afraid that our promotion would end, MA will jump up 100 euro to old price and presented product will be nowhere in the price between Spark and Air

If it's the £1000 price point you are looking for then yes, get the MA now.
2018-6-22
Use props
3-D
lvl.4
Flight distance : 635764 ft
  • >>>
United States

I think that you should go ahead and get the MA.  With regard to the July 18 announcement, whatever it is, I really don't think that it is going to affect MA pricing.  If it's on special now, AND that's at the top of your price range, I would do it.

Even if i'm wrong, (which is VERY, VERY possible, because I have no information at all) and the announcement does affect the price of the MA,  What are the odds that the price will come down more than the current special?

I say do it, and don't look back.  You'll appreciate the MA a lot,  and you'll be satisfied with the cost.
2018-6-22
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft

Wireframe Posted at 2018-6-22 02:41

In this case go for the Mavic Air, it is a great device and I have never regretted the buy (also coming from Spark as first drone)! Whatever will be presented on 18 July, you can be sure that it will be several hundreds (or more, depending on what it will be) more expensive.
2018-6-22
Use props
Robothamster
lvl.3
Flight distance : 51135 ft
United Kingdom

Buy it now.

I bet the announcement will not affect the Air price as it'll be either a Mavic Pro 2 at £1500ish, or a Phantom 5 at even more.
2018-6-22
Use props
Wireframe
lvl.2
Germany

Thank you very much, guys. You pretty much confirmed what I was thinking. Will head for MA in a couple of days.

Thanks again, dear community!
2018-6-22
Use props
Free2be
lvl.3
Flight distance : 229570 ft
Belgium

Hello Wireframe,
I have even like you make a dissision between the Pro and the Air, and have choosen for the Air combo, with no regret at all! Buy it from a official DJI store, so you haven't troubles when you need support. Succes!
2018-6-22
Use props
3-D
lvl.4
Flight distance : 635764 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wireframe Posted at 2018-6-22 04:57
Thank you very much, guys. You pretty much confirmed what I was thinking. Will head for MA in a couple of days.

Make sure you come back and share some of your work with us!  We look forward to seeing it!
2018-6-22
Use props
Wireframe
lvl.2
Germany

3-D Posted at 2018-6-22 07:10
Make sure you come back and share some of your work with us!  We look forward to seeing it!

I am a newbie pilot and of course I need critics as a beginner clipmaker, so - of course will do!
2018-6-22
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Wireframe Posted at 2018-6-22 04:57

Good decision - it's become my favourite drone to date.
2018-6-22
Use props
wobbles
lvl.4
Flight distance : 547438 ft
  • >>>

DEFO DO IT, i had exactly the same dilema, and after my third flight today with MA , its a no brainer the quality of video is like night and day from sparky , dont get me wrong sparky was by far my favourite , but this MA is amazing. will post some video comparing sparky and MA later ..
2018-6-22
Use props
JERRY K
lvl.3
Flight distance : 308327 ft
United States

The price on a air is not going down in the near future- They are selling a lot of units- I love the air!
2018-6-22
Use props
Jmathews77
lvl.3
Flight distance : 810636 ft
United States

Looks like you pretty much made up your mind already, but I was going to agree with most others here and say to just buy it now.  Whatever is coming on July 18th is most likely going to be priced higher than the Air, and maybe even higher than the Mavic Pro, so if you're at the ceiling of your budget, your money will not be spent on anything better than the Mavic Air.  You will not regret it.
2018-6-22
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JERRY K Posted at 2018-6-22 09:42
The price on a air is not going down in the near future- They are selling a lot of units- I love the air!

Agreed - it's not going to be replaced with what comes next month - that will be in a different drone category.
2018-6-22
Use props
nixuspix
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2864974 ft
  • >>>
Latvia

Buy MA and try to add DJI Care refresh. It will help a lot in future
2018-6-22
Use props
Agentbolt
lvl.2
Flight distance : 104980 ft
United States

The Air just came out a few months, so I promise you, whatever comes out in July is NOT going to be a direct competitor. It's going to be a Mavic Pro 2 with a bigger camera sensor (and a MUCH bigger price) than the Pro/Air, or some other item that won't be an option for people looking to spend $1000 max. It's also a very very popular drone that has sold a LOT of units in the past few months, and DJI isn't stupid enough to anger that many new customers by going "PSYYYYYCH!!" and releasing anything that would be considered an upgrade to it so quickly.

The Autel Evo sounds like it's simply a better product (on paper) so you could wait for it, but like others have said, I'm not sure a very new company can just waltz in and dethrone the champ like that. The new Parrot is not comparable at all, no obstacle avoidance and a fairly shoddy track record with their previous consumer camera drones, the Bebop I and II.  

In other words, even if you waited SIX months (an eternity!) to buy a drone, I'll be willing to be the MA will still be your best bet, it might just be a bit cheaper by then.
2018-6-22
Use props
cspain
lvl.4
Flight distance : 662644 ft
United States

The only other option I can think of is that after the new announcement, if the new drone is really cool then a lot of people might sell their Mavic Air on Ebay so they can upgrade to the new Mavic II. You might be able to get a good deal if they ship to Russia.
2018-6-22
Use props
djiuser_mknsgHLhrI2Q
lvl.1

Canada

I would say wait, till it has more obstacle avoidance sensors. I my opinion all drones should have sensors on the top, bottom, front, back, left and right sides. I can see DJI slowly adding more, this is one way you will always want to buy a new drone because it has more sensors and avoids obstacles better. If I had the current Mavic Air and a new model with sensors on all axis came out I would love to buy it!  
2018-6-23
Use props
ShadyDealer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 983428 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It’s a tough one, especially as the announcement is looming. Some great deals on Mav Pros and Airs at the minute. White Mav Air fly more combo from a reputable retailer selling for £830! That’s a huge discount from the £949 usual price. These sort of discounts do make me wonder if they are trying to reduce stock infantry. Heck only just purchased an Air myself and whilst it’s great I’m sort of torn on what to advise.

Air is a great drone but the range and interference compared to my Pro is a lot worse. Either way, whatever you decide it will be a great purchase.
2018-6-23
Use props
rwynant V1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>

It's like any computer......don't buy this one,  wait 2 weeks and the NEXT one will be better.

So,  buy what you believe will WORK FOR YOU now......fly and have a great time!!  

I have an Inspire 1 V1,  and a P4Pro........my next drone will have at least  the camera on the P4Pro, or better.  360 panos and Mapping are important to me...as well as simply GREAT pics and video.

Good luck with your choices.

Randy
2018-6-23
Use props
Wireframe
lvl.2
Russia

wobbles Posted at 2018-6-22 07:23
DEFO DO IT, i had exactly the same dilema, and after my third flight today with MA , its a no brainer the quality of video is like night and day from sparky , dont get me wrong sparky was by far my favourite , but this MA is amazing. will post some video comparing sparky and MA later ..

Thanks!
PS: Love the bike. I drive st1300 and love taking drone with me
2018-6-25
Use props
Wireframe
lvl.2
Russia

nixuspix Posted at 2018-6-22 10:11
Buy MA and try to add DJI Care refresh. It will help a lot in future

N/A in Russia. I would definitely do that if it is available. But it is not
2018-6-25
Use props
Wireframe
lvl.2
Russia

Got the RED Mavic AIR. It is smaller than Spark! And so cute!
Today - charging, tomorrow - first flight.
2018-6-25
Use props
nixuspix
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2864974 ft
  • >>>
Latvia

Happy flying mate!
2018-6-25
Use props
RGMGFitness
Second Officer
Flight distance : 233757 ft
  • >>>
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-6-22 02:32

Ditto!! Sit tight until we all hear what DJI is releasing in the next few weeks!  
2018-6-25
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

RGMGFitness Posted at 2018-6-25 11:22
Ditto!! Sit tight until we all hear what DJI is releasing in the next few weeks!

That's what I'm doing but then I already have the MA so easy for me to say so    
2018-6-25
Use props
RGMGFitness
Second Officer
Flight distance : 233757 ft
  • >>>
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-6-25 11:23
That's what I'm doing but then I already have the MA so easy for me to say so

You and me both!  
2018-6-25
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

2018-6-25
Use props
KREMi
lvl.4
  • >>>
Poland

just wait. always after next big DJI announcment prices drop for "older" models so IMHO it's worth waiting
2018-6-25
Use props
ShadyDealer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 983428 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Personally on the balance of pros and cons against function, performance and cost and as a user of both the Pro and Air models, I can conclude the following;

The Pros camera in most situations is better for photos. It’s range and low latency for live view with Occusync is phenomenal and easily outperforms the Air. The battery is significantly better and this is noticeable especially when flying hard and at distance.

However, the Air for it’s portability and lower cost price makes it well worth challenger. It has a couple of unique quick shoot modes which is nice and the video recording seems somehow better. Smart gesture is a great addition which works well for the most part. The inbuilt storage is a nice touch too.I just wish I’d have waited a couple of days later as a UK retailer has a massive discount on the fly more combo for Mav Airs!

In terms of flying performance, again the Mavic Pro wins as it’s longer span makes it more stable and seems to hover far more steadily and surprisingly a lot quieter!

Would I buy one with all this mind, 50-50. Having paid £900 probably not but as they are now on offer for £830 then yes. Sorry if that’s not much help!  
2018-6-25
Use props
Wireframe
lvl.2
Germany

Thanks a lot! Can't wait to get out of the city
2018-6-25
Use props
Wireframe
lvl.2
Germany

ShadyDealer Posted at 2018-6-25 11:38
Personally on the balance of pros and cons against function, performance and cost and as a user of both the Pro and Air models, I can conclude the following;

The Pros camera in most situations is better for photos. It’s range and low latency for live view with Occusync is phenomenal and easily outperforms the Air. The battery is significantly better and this is noticeable especially when flying hard and at distance.

Well, portability is vital for me so i decided to go for MA. As you listed them, some quickshots are also adding nice touch. So I hope everything will be nice with my new MA

Happy flying, everyone!
2018-6-25
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Wireframe Posted at 2018-6-25 23:04
Well, portability is vital for me so i decided to go for MA. As you listed them, some quickshots are also adding nice touch. So I hope everything will be nice with my new MA

Happy flying, everyone!

Not to mention the clearly superior gimbal and updated tech and processor - you'll love the 32mp spheres and FHD in slow mo. The MP is just dated now - it will be discontinued a lot sooner too. You made the right choice.
2018-6-25
Use props
Scoobywrx05
lvl.2
Flight distance : 917844 ft
United States

I’d buy the phantom 4 advanced. With the issues surrounding a number of the Mavic Air s now you would be taking a gamble whether you will or will not get a good one.
2018-6-26
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Scoobywrx05 Posted at 2018-6-26 01:00
I’d buy the phantom 4 advanced. With the issues surrounding a number of the Mavic Air s now you would be taking a gamble whether you will or will not get a good one.

Too big, too loud - would rather the P4PV2.0
2018-6-26
Use props
Wireframe
lvl.2
Germany

A CW Posted at 2018-6-25 23:34
Not to mention the clearly superior gimbal and updated tech and processor - you'll love the 32mp spheres and FHD in slow mo. The MP is just dated now - it will be discontinued a lot sooner too. You made the right choice.

Thank you very much. The spheres really ARE cool and allowing MA stitch them saves time A LOT. I can do this anything with my own hands (and i will be leaving all the stitched frames just in case I think I can stitch them better), but... These 'automation' saves so much time that I am very happy
2018-6-26
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules