1234Next >
5061 136 2018-6-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JimboHUN
lvl.4
Flight distance : 37156 ft
Hungary

I mean I was not anymore. Though I must admit video feed was better without the RC.
2018-6-24
Use props
JimFandango
lvl.4
Flight distance : 130768 ft
United Kingdom

Sorry to read your story....sounds like a nightmare and I sympathise. I can understand how this kind of thing can happen, particularly in the first flush of having the Spark. Although I have a controller, I have flown the Spark a few times using the phone to control it. I don't like it, but sometimes convenience trumps carting the controller around. The onscreen controls do disappear when it's in gesture control (and maybe some of the other flight modes?). Part of the reason I much prefer to use the controller is that sometimes with the phone I want to manually fly the Spark and the virtual joysticks aren't there, and I find it clunky to bring them up again. So I can certainly see how having the Spark enter ATTI mode and then trying to bring the joysticks back up or restart the app would lead to the Spark drifting out of range before you've figured it out.

I hope you get in the air again soon. I'd feel utterly sick if I'd lost my Spark as you did.
2018-6-25
Use props
Mirek6
lvl.4
Flight distance : 609724 ft
Canada

knelson69 Posted at 2018-6-24 10:54
http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/B8QU82YG6KKK6RJ6SH7Y/

Here is the record of the flight.  I do have the flight video from the cache and have attempted to send it but it is not wanting to upload.

Knelson,

Yaw error indicates disagreement between IMU and compass. Compass error indicates magnetic interference. Often they both go hand in hand.
When IMU and compass disagree, Spark may drop from GPS to ATTI mode to avoid “toilet bowl effect”. This is by design and correct behaviour.

You were quite brave flying by your mobile Wifi at such distances (in places – 70 metres away). Depending on mobile’s signal strength – this may be pushing the boundaries of Spark/mobile WiFi communication.
I do not see any obvious sources of electromagnetic interference in your vicinity. Regular power lines along the road and some off-shots of power to the houses on the side. Nothing drastic.

3m 37.1 s. You get first short burst of yaw errors  during regular flight over the empty field at altitude of 44 metres. Lasts 0.2 secs. It is accompanied by sudden wobbliness of Spark. I’ll explain below – read on.

9m 32.3 s. Compass error due to magnetic interference. You are flying low (5.5 – 6 metres altitude) over some households. It is very possible that there is a source of magnetic disturbances there which affects your compass. Lasts for a second Spark holds GPS.

9m 38.3 s. Another compass error while you are at the same low altitude and still around the same place as six seconds before. You are hovering over this point turning your Spark around. You have also lost your communication for 0.5 seconds here. You are far away (in terms of mobile device WiFi signal – 69 metres away) and, most likely, not in VLOS. While you are standing in the field, your Spark is hovering quite low and Wifi signal may be shielded by trees and building between you and Spark. Magnetic interference is strong enough to show on your compass. Since Spark is not moving, there is no positional disagreement between compass, IMU and GPS. Spark stays in GPS mode.

10m 19.5 s. You initiate RTH. Spark start ascending from 4.5 metres to 30 metres (RTH altitude) and turns in your direction. Correct behaviour – no issues.

10m 38 s. Spark is up, facing you and starts flying back. Its trajectory becomes ellipsoidal showing quite strong gusts of wind from SW. Spark rolls to its right and changes its pitch to compensate. It struggles and becomes wobbly.

10m 43.1 s. While heaving to left and right (roll) Spark experiences yaw error. As I mentioned before, yaw indicates disagreement between IMU and compass. Here, at this altitude and in this vicinity, I do not see any obvious source of interference. Most likely the gusts of wind confused Spark’s IMU and gyroscope and caused its firmware to interpret its correct ellipsoidal course caused by fighting with the wind as beginning of toilet bowl effect. Since toilet bowl effect is dangerous and difficult to control, Spark’s correct reaction is to switch to ATTI mode to allow manual control.

10m 44.4 s. Spark gives up, throws compass and yaw exceptions and drops to ATTI.

10m 45.2 s. IMU reports heading exception and instructs the pilot that AC may behave abnormally. Spark is being pushed by the wind in the direction of NE with increasing but uneven velocity (at times up to 23 km / hour). Some abnormal compass function warnings are generated but I believe that Spark’s firmware is just confused now.

11m 3s. Communication between Spark and mobile starts to break. It stops altogether 15 seconds later when Spark is already 85 metres away. At this point it is moving with a speed of 3m/s.

When Spark looses signal in ATTI mode, it starts to land. Normal landing speed is less than 3 m/s. Being at 30 metres altitude, it would take at least 10 seconds but, likely much more – perhaps half a minute while Spark is being pushed along red line on the map. Chances are that with varying wind speed, Spark would have been close to the ground and start hovering before it hit the river. Unfortunately the field here is open and nothing would stop Spark flight towards inevitable swim.
I would search for you drone from the last recorded lat/long and along red flight path until you get to river. You may find it. If not, it most likely have drowned.

Given the above, I strongly believe that irregular gusts of wind blowing diagonally from the back right side of Spark caused elliptical path of return. Since path should have been straight, Spark’s firmware erroneously interpreted it as disagreement between IMU and compass and beginning of the toilet bowl effect thus dropping Spark to ATTI. Within short period of time, Spark was blown out of range of your mobile WiFi and you lost control.

Forum members,
Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that this is the first time anybody on this forum was able to connect irregular strong gusts of wind and Spark’s elliptical path with yaw errors and dropping to ATTI. I would love to hear some good counterarguments and have a good discussion. Until I am proven incorrect, I will advise anybody to be extra vigilant in irregular wind. It seems to me that Spark’s firmware could be improved and perhaps DJI could better differentiate between true disagreement between IMU and compass caused by interference or h/w error and false disagreement caused by irregular wind. If I were DJI I would research and try to connect Spark’s wobbly behaviour which strongly suggested irregular wind making ellipsoidal path correct and making decision to drop to ATTI unnecessary.

Knelson – while your actions may not have been wise (flight distance with mobile only, flying at high altitude with irregular and strong gusts of winds) I would not necessarily say that what you experienced was a pilot error. I would try to get warranty claim due to weakness in Spark’s design. This is supposed to be beginners drone and DJI cannot expect from beginners to know what I just described.

Mirek
2018-6-25
Use props
DMX_MT
Second Officer
Malta

Mirek6 Posted at 2018-6-25 06:33
Knelson,

Yaw error indicates disagreement between IMU and compass. Compass error indicates magnetic interference. Often they both go hand in hand.

Mirek, I don't think there is someone else here in this Forum so precise and does deep analysis as you.

2018-6-25
Use props
knelson69
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3990 ft
United States

Knelson,

Thank you so much for taking the time to give me such a detailed analysis of the flight record and your input on what things may have been contributing factors to the drone getting away from me.  I definitely agree now that I had it in a place where interference from things around me could be very likely a part of it.  However on my second flight on the same day I was flying at the park near me in a large open field without those types of possible interference and i had a error occur but was able to get control and land it as soon as it happened.  I was in a much better position to do it because I didn't have trees obstucting my view of the drone.  I will definitely not be flying without a controller in the future  if I am lucky enough to get another drone.  I had flown my brother in laws spark in his neighborhood just outside of Portland Oregon and in a very heavily populated neighborhood and I didn't have any issues and I know he hasn't either so I just thought   that flying near the house should be safe to do while demonstrating the drone to my Dad.  That all said I wouldn't fly so near to homes and trees in the future because i now understand all of the possibilities for interference.  Also the day that this happened there didn't seem to be any winds that were strong enough in my mind that I would have thought that flight would be unsafe.  I will be putting another tool in the box though to measure wind speeds before any future flights.   I will sit down later and look at the log and follow along with the points in your reply and get myself more acquainted with interpreting a flight log.  Again I appreciate very much that you took the time to help me better understand what went wrong and look forward to hearing from other members as well with a continued discussion relevant to the topic.
2018-6-25
Use props
Mirek6
lvl.4
Canada

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-6-25 06:52
Mirek, I don't think there is someone else here in this Forum so precise and does deep analysis as you.

I have read so many analysis by others, but most are just Nonsense, even last few days was reading a post by some Genius with his Personal Program saying that a Guy Lost his Drone as the Battery Popped Off, when the Pilots said he was still hearing it Wizz from Side to Side.. Anyways, everyone can be wrong, thats ok, but the BLUFF some users think they are hear is extraordinary ! I don't know from where you get all this Patience Mirek. Sometimes I even read Bad Comments on DJI Coorporation as still DJI don't answer back to the Users who want to cause Damage ! For me its Incredible as I don't have that type of Character, so I admire you Mirek.

DMX_MT,

Thanks for you candor. No, I have no intention to criticize you, or anybody else for that matter.
As I said before, I do appreciate you contributions. They are really good. The videos you dig out from YouTube are very informational. You are helping.

For me life is not black and white but full of shades of gray. Yes - people make mistakes. Believe me, I was as negligent when I started with drones (one of my first flights was beneath huge power transmission lines). So I understand even if somebody makes glaring mistakes.

With Knelson - yes, perhaps he was unwise, made some mistakes and paid for it dearly. However, DJI should shape up because inefficiencies in the firmware are causing unacceptable fly-aways. Knelson is beginner, DJI are professionals. I demand much more of them than of, however misguided, newbies.

The point of this forum is to help and learn. The only thing which I have problems accepting is when people start to delude the discussion and just complain without providing information we ask for. Hence my earlier, a bit stronger, reply to Knelson.

In summary - all is good. People are people. Let's have fun and help and learn.
2018-6-25
Use props
Mirek6
lvl.4
Canada

knelson69 Posted at 2018-6-25 07:26
Thank you so much for taking the time to give me such a detailed analysis of the flight record and your input on what things may have been contributing factors to the drone getting away from me.  I definitely agree now that I had it in a place where interference from things around me could be very likely a part of it.  However on my second flight on the same day I was flying at the park near me in a large open field without those types of possible interference and i had a error occur but was able to get control and land it as soon as it happened.  I was in a much better position to do it because I didn't have trees obstucting my view of the drone.  I will definitely not be flying without a controller in the future  if I am lucky enough to get another drone.  I had flown my brother in laws spark in his neighborhood just outside of Portland Oregon and in a very heavily populated neighborhood and I didn't have any issues and I know he hasn't either so I just thought   that flying near the house should be safe to do while demonstrating the drone to my Dad.  That all said I wouldn't fly so near to homes and trees in the future because i now understand all of the possibilities for interference.  Also the day that this happened there didn't seem to be any winds that were strong enough in my mind that I would have thought that flight would be unsafe.  I will be putting another tool in the box though to measure wind speeds before any future flights.   I will sit down later and look at the log and follow along with the points in your reply and get myself more acquainted with interpreting a flight log.  Again I appreciate very much that you took the time to help me better understand what went wrong and look forward to hearing from other members as well with a continued discussion relevant to the topic.

Download .csv file and open it with Excel.
If you use only what Phantom site displays you will not see all the details I am talking about.

No need to get paranoid over dos and don't. Just read the manual (carefully :-), watch the videos on this forum (DMX-MT provided a lot of of them), make sure your AC is up to snuff, follow pre-checks and  go out and have fun. And yes - get the RC. I would not have enough courage to fly with mobile only.

Good luck in the future!
2018-6-25
Use props
knelson69
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3990 ft
United States

Mirek6 Posted at 2018-6-25 07:35
Download .csv file and open it with Excel.
If you use only what Phantom site displays you will not see all the details I am talking about.

Will Do.  Thanks again!
2018-6-25
Use props
DMX_MT
Second Officer
Malta

Mirek6 Posted at 2018-6-25 07:27
DMX_MT,

Thanks for you candor. No, I have no intention to criticize you, or anybody else for that matter.

Thank you Mirek.

2018-6-25
Use props
Jakab Gipsz
lvl.4

Hungary

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-6-24 14:14
@Jakab Gipsz this is just Speculation as I asked several time DJI to tell us all what this Yaw Error is and still no reply.

I think what you did was Blame DJI  for not giving you a refund for the Spark. That's where I was laughing as you will never get the money back.

Man you're very weird!
If someone agrees with you, you really love me, even me ...
you wrote this when someone said what you want to hear:

@They are PERFECT! I Love This Guy!
I like your comment Jakab.
Thanks for discussing with me Jakab.
Thank you for your comment Jakab. You're totally right.
Sometimes I just keep Secrets to myself and my close friends only. You are a Wonderful Guy Mirek, I admire You and you know it.@

Then, after another YAW error, you wrote this:

I asked about a week ago, to DJI Admins here to come and explain to use what this means, but I think it fell on the ears again ...
No reply from any DJI Admins here ... Pity.

Yaw Error again Mirek.
Maybe its another Bug in the DJI GO4 App?
I do not remember all these Yaw Error, until Version 4.2.12 was released. I think the DJI GO4 App for Android is a Real Disaster!

This does not matter for the DJI attack ???

Then I promised to find out which version might be firmware causing YAW error.
Then you took your sneer, offensive style and you stepped in to me.

Calmly tell me what your interest in DJI is, to protect it.
You begin to be unaffected by this arrogant style that you suddenly (apparently) fail to point out if you personally do not like something.
It's not about solving the problem, but writing a long writing about not getting a new drone ever and trying to beat everyone ...

Why is it your job to judge how this can help solve this problem?
In addition, it turned out that he did not show the flight log because he was inexperienced.
You and now, to show the evidence why you do not apologize.

Someone (Mirek) tries to help without judgment ... You are not such a man. Stand in front of the mirror and ask why?

(And you're wrong, I do not want anything from the DJI.) It has Spark and it works, I'm dealing with the problem of the problem (YAW error) and I'm very much keen to be with such people as you ...)

Postcards: I will not respond in future to your posts in which you feel your emotions instead of a professional conversation.

cheers
2018-6-25
Use props
BrilhasMuito
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3745554 ft
Brazil

Knelson,

Indeed, great input Mirek. I didnt see the gusts there.
But we can not associate the yaw error with the wind. It's a really strong argument, I know, but I've not seen any proof these two factors walk together. Please feel free to feed me with reliable proof then I change my mind.
It was not a windy day besides a few gusts. Even with both the gusts and the drop to ATTI, I truly believe the spark would have enough muscle to fight wind if Knelson had control over his drone. I can say b/c I already fought a feel strong gusts myself one of them in ATTI mode when the spark handled it flawlessly. It's kind of impressive how this little drone can handle the wind.
Maybe, if knelson didnt hit RTH button and brought it manually the drone wouldnt drop to ATTI.
There are too many 'maybes' and 'whys' in this case. Really though one. I believe that the main factor is the controller loss that caused knelson's incident.
The spark was fully within Knelson's sight so the gusts and the ATTI mode are not enough to lose the spark, not in my book.

2018-6-25
Use props
BrilhasMuito
lvl.4
Brazil

Jakab Gipsz Posted at 2018-6-25 14:24
Man you're very weird!
If someone agrees with you, you really love me, even me ...
you wrote this when someone said what you want to hear:

Come on Jakab! DMX is a very nice guy, you know it.
He's from Malta so I guess there is some italian blood running through his veins, just like me. As you might know Italians are very emotional. Italians talk with the heart.
Don't take it personal! DMX is a nice addition to this forum.
PEACE!

2018-6-25
Use props
Jakab Gipsz
lvl.4

Hungary

BrilhasMuito Posted at 2018-6-25 15:03
Come on Jakab! DMX is a very nice guy, you know it.
He's from Malta so I guess there is some italian blood running through his veins, just like me. As you might know Italians are very emotional. Italians talk with the heart.
Don't take it personal! DMX is a nice addition to this forum.

Nice... if you are Malta, or you agreeNice men with skull in logo...
2018-6-25
Use props
BrilhasMuito
lvl.4
Brazil

Jakab Gipsz Posted at 2018-6-25 15:08
Nice... if you are Malta, or you agree

I'm from Brazil but my grandma was born in Italy which is pretty close to Malta.
2018-6-25
Use props
DMX_MT
Second Officer
Malta

Jakab please stay away.

I am done replying to trolls like you, continue hiding under your Fake Accounts to do more Damage to DJI Corporation and Other Pilots.
2018-6-25
Use props
Jakab Gipsz
lvl.4

Hungary

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-6-25 15:14
Jimbo Hun and Jakab Gipsz are same Troll

This Malta men very nice...
2018-6-25
Use props
DMX_MT
Second Officer
Malta

Jakab please stay away.

I am done replying to trolls like you, continue hiding under your Fake Accounts to do more Damage to DJI Corporation and Other Pilots.
2018-6-25
Use props
DMX_MT
Second Officer
Malta

Jakab please stay away.

2018-6-25
Use props
DMX_MT
Second Officer
Malta

Jakab please stay away.

2018-6-25
Use props
Jakab Gipsz
lvl.4

Hungary

Now you see how nice this DMX is.
If the arguments are out of the question then it gets dirty.
I will not answer that, I will not go down to his level and end this up.
2018-6-25
Use props
DMX_MT
Second Officer
Malta

Jakab please stay away.

2018-6-25
Use props
DMX_MT
Second Officer
Malta

Jakab please stay away.

2018-6-25
Use props
Mirek6
lvl.4
Canada

BrilhasMuito Posted at 2018-6-25 14:49
Indeed, great input Mirek. I didnt see the gusts there.
But we can not associate the yaw error with the wind. It's a really strong argument, I know, but I've not seen any proof these two factors walk together. Please feel free to feed me with reliable proof then I change my mind.
It was not a windy day besides a few gusts. Even with both the gusts and the drop to ATTI, I truly believe the spark would have enough muscle to fight wind if Knelson had control over his drone. I can say b/c I already fought a feel strong gusts myself one of them in ATTI mode when the spark handled it flawlessly. It's kind of impressive how this little drone can handle the wind.

BrilhasMuito,

It is not about Spark not being able to fly in gusts of wind. It certainly can. And I never said it couldn't. It could do it in the scenario Knelson presented.

The wind was there. And gusts were fairly strong. You can see it in logs looking at how Spark changes its pitch and roll without any corresponding input from RC sticks. You can also see it by the direction and speed it flew away when it dropped to ATTI. Spark' flew away not because it was too weak for the wind - it flew away because, when in ATTI, Knelson lost signal and could not control it. Wind did the rest.

Both Spark's attitude in the air and ellipsoidal trajectory it was flying (not straight) when it started to return to home are very consistent with wind direction.

In order to understand why I think that yaw errors where a direct result of Spark fighting with the wind and flying on ellipsoidal trajectory instead of straight, you would need to understand how Spark knows which direction to fly and how to keep its course. It is a very complex co-operation and feedback between compass, IMU and GPS positioning system. I am thinking about perhaps writing a short document which will give examples of how it is done in a series of pictures so everybody can understand. It is impossible to explain here in several sentences.

The key is that drone's series of commanded positions (positions where the drone should be as per input form sticks or, in this case, RTH sequence) as calculated by compass and GPS, do not match physical positions along flight trajectory. Commanded trajectory does not match physical trajectory because the wind is pushing Spark to the side. As a result Spark is in continuous adjustment mode along ellipse. This triggers alarm that something is wrong with either compass or IMU gyroscope (there is discrepancy). Since there is no magnetic interference, Spark decides that it must be IMU and throws yaw error.  Spark has no way of knowing that it is flying across side wind (but it was my point that through Spark's wobble which is consistent with gusts of wind DJI engineers could, possibly, figure it out).

To make long story short. Yaw error and ellipsoidal trajectory are consistent with toilet bowl effect - dangerous phenomenon which DJI engineers figured out how to avoid. Simply drop to ATTI. In ATTI there is no longer GPS positioning and no longer a problem with IMU and compass discrepancies - Spark is totally at mercy of manual control. My complaint was that Spark's firmware could have predicted or measured with better accuracy that this is wind not un-calibrated IMU or bad compass. So, I believe, that the culprit is firmware which could have been tuned better.

One more thing, and very consistent with the findings above. Did anybody figure out why so many situations like that were saved by switching Spark to Sport mode? (Knelson could not do it since he was using mobile not RC). Why, when Spark experiences yaw errors and drops to ATTI, switching to Sport may recover the situation?

I have a hypothesis - in Sport's mode Spark's sensitivity to disagreement between compass and IMU must be toned down because it moves much faster and its commanded and physical positions are recalculated at greater intervals. It is like driving a car. The same yank on the steering wheel at 20km/h versus 80 km/hour will have radically different effect. So DJI must have de-sensitized Spark a bit in Sport's mode otherwise it would be just riddled with yaw errors at small discrepancies. This is why, when IMU/compass disagreements are large enough to cause Spark to drop to ATTI during regular flight, they may not be enough when in Sport.

I do not know Spark's inner design. But I know a bit about generic design of drones and a bit about drone's flight engineering. The findings above are very consistent with these.

Now - I do welcome other forum members to correct me if they see error in my thinking. I will certainly do much more experiments and will certainly research this topic more.

Mirek
2018-6-25
Use props
Antipaxi
lvl.4

Mirek6 Posted at 2018-6-25 17:55
BrilhasMuito,

It is not about Spark not being able to fly in gusts of wind. It certainly can. And I never said it couldn't. It could do it in the scenario Knelson presented.

The Sport mode hypothesis makes sense. The moment you switch to Sport mode every other fancy sensor or gadget doesn't matter, it's pure turbo.
2018-6-25
Use props
landude
lvl.3
Flight distance : 126407 ft

Mirek, after that post I truly believe you are an alien and that is so cool.
I love reading your ideas and am learning from them. One thing I wonder is,
when the spark goes blind and is at  the hands of mother nature shouldn't it be programmed.
to just gently land. At that point it's pretty much toast anyway right?
2018-6-25
Use props
Antipaxi
lvl.4

landude Posted at 2018-6-25 20:00
Mirek, after that post I truly believe you are an alien and that is so cool.
I love reading your ideas and am learning from them. One thing I wonder is,
when the spark goes blind and is at  the hands of mother nature shouldn't it be programmed.

I think that would open up a new can of worms. It would just start to land anywhere, water trees, etc. And it would also drift in the wind.
Turning to atty instead of just landing still gives you a chance to control it and ultimately save it. But having the option of deciding yourself what the AC does when losing signal might be nice, so if you plan to fly in a field, let's say, you can, by a touch of a button before the flight, program it to immediately land when losing signal, and if you fly above water, not to land but to hover in atty. I think that would be an interesting option for the GO4 app.
2018-6-25
Use props
JimboHUN
lvl.4

Antipaxi Posted at 2018-6-25 19:50
The Sport mode hypothesis makes sense. The moment you switch to Sport mode every other fancy sensor or gadget doesn't matter, it's pure turbo.

Good thing that I am not interested in sports mode at all then
2018-6-25
Use props
JimboHUN
lvl.4
Hungary

But will keep in mind for STFU situations Never actually tried sports mode.
2018-6-25
Use props
Harry Moman
lvl.1

Australia

Mirek6 Posted at 2018-6-22 08:09
Hey djiuser,

Instead of getting skeptical, read this forum, head the advise, read the manual, be educated and be prepared. Do pre-flight checklist, calibrate the drone. You will be fine.

correct i hit a tree at 50 kph  smashed mine bad and it was al my fault, it took me two days to totally rebuild  my spark, if it was not for my Pc main board soldering history i would of had to throw it in the bin

i think from my short history with my spark is that if i loose it it will be because i have gone or tried to go past its limits.

still sorry to hear you lost yours mate .
2018-6-26
Use props
eelco
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1091447 ft
Netherlands

I had exact the same thing yesterday, can not find it anymore.. fly away.
2018-6-26
Use props
Mirek6
lvl.4
Canada

Antipaxi Posted at 2018-6-25 20:08
I think that would open up a new can of worms. It would just start to land anywhere, water trees, etc. And it would also drift in the wind.
Turning to atty instead of just landing still gives you a chance to control it and ultimately save it. But having the option of deciding yourself what the AC does when losing signal might be nice, so if you plan to fly in a field, let's say, you can, by a touch of a button before the flight, program it to immediately land when losing signal, and if you fly above water, not to land but to hover in atty. I think that would be an interesting option for the GO4 app.

Antipaxi and @landude,

The design of Spark is correct in such situations. Switching to ATTI is intended to give manual control to the user when Spark cannot rely on its instruments anymore.

The problem is that, with wind, Spark will start to drift. Some experienced pilots will react accordingly and steer it back to their position. Some newbies will start hitting RTH button in vain hope that Spark will return.

When Spark loses signal in ATTI mode it is programmed to land. It knows that it is in ATTI, it knows that pilot is out of range and it cannot do anything to control it manually so the only logical option is to land (instead of being pushed to God-knows-where until battery dies and landing is forced).

So Spark will start to land. But it will not fully land. Short distance above the ground it will stop, hover and wait for one of three things:
1. Return of GPS communication (than it can fly back home in fail safe mode).
2. Restoration of communication with the RC so the pilot can tell it what to do.
3. Battery getting to critical level, at which time the Spark will finish landing.

The additional fly in the ointment here is that if Spark finishes his ATTI landing sequence over water, it may not wait for conditions 2 or 3 above, but instead could take a happy and refreshing swim with VPS fooled by reflections on the water suggesting to it that it is still high and can continue landing.

Spark's design is superb. I am amazed that DJI engineers thought about and implemented so much mind-boggling technology in such a small package for such a low price. But, having said that, I am much less impressed with their DJI GO software and Spark firmware. As discussed above, being software and telecom engineer myself, the problems we are seeing could be, potentially, avoided by smart programming (no, I am not saying that DJI programming is not smart - it definitely is, but perhaps could be better :-)).

Of course, I am not DJI developer so it is easy for me to criticize and throw advice.
One thing I would sincerely wish for - that DJI support gets senior and experienced technical support people on this forum. Right now DJI responses here are, to say it gently, not helping much. They could resolve childishly simple situations but nothing more.

Co-operation between DJI and forum members would benefit both sides.
Having said that, I know I am dreaming in technicolor.  Cheers!

Mirek
2018-6-26
Use props
Mirek6
lvl.4
Canada

eelco Posted at 2018-6-26 02:19
I had exact the same thing yesterday, can not find it anymore.. fly away.

eelco,

Post you logs on Phantom site and let us analyze. Perhaps we can help you find your drone. Perhaps we can all collectively learn something more.
2018-6-26
Use props
DMX_MT
Second Officer
Malta

Mirek6 Posted at 2018-6-26 05:45
eelco,

Post you logs on Phantom site and let us analyze. Perhaps we can help you find your drone. Perhaps we can all collectively learn something more.

Thanks Mirek for always helping others.

2018-6-26
Use props
Mirek6
lvl.4
Canada

JimboHUN Posted at 2018-6-25 21:52
But will keep in mind for STFU situations  Never actually tried sports mode.

Try it. It's fun. Be careful though since Spark turns off obstacle avoidance in Sport mode so if you are directing it at 50km/hour at a tree - don't ask for DJI warranty replacement :-). RC sticks sensitivity jumps as well.

As discussed above, very often when people are in trouble and have problems controlling their drone, switching momentarily to Sport mode may save your day. I have seen reported on this forum countless times. So far we did not know why. I think we have a very strong suspicion why now.

Mirek
2018-6-26
Use props
DMX_MT
Second Officer
Malta

Mirek6 Posted at 2018-6-26 05:50
Try it. It's fun. Be careful though since Spark turns off obstacle avoidance in Sport mode so if you are directing it at 50km/hour at a tree - don't ask for DJI warranty replacement :-). RC sticks sensitivity jumps as well.

As discussed above, very often when people are in trouble and have problems controlling their drone, switching momentarily to Sport mode may save your day. I have seen reported on this forum countless times. So far we did not know why. I think we have a very strong suspicion why now.

Nice Idea Mirek,

So lets imagine I get a Yaw Error and it goes in ATTI, you suggest I swith to Sports Mode right away, fly it back and switch off Sports Mode and Land ?

I am interested in your Suggestion.

2018-6-26
Use props
Mirek6
lvl.4
Canada

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-6-26 05:59
Nice Idea Mirek,

So lets imagine I get a Yaw Error and it goes in ATTI, you suggest I swith to Sports Mode right away, fly it back and switch off Sports Mode and Land ?

DMX_MT,

I have never been in such situation (I am wiping sweat out of my forehead now ;-) so I do not have first hand experience. But I have seen many posts on this forum where people switched to Sports mode when drone was in trouble (ATTI and difficult to control) and it saved them. I believe we understand now  why and what is the science behind such behaviour.

So yes - this is what I would do if I were in trouble. It shouldn't hurt but it can help stabilize the drone. Needless to say, once you do that, do not try to fly full throttle into oblivion :-).

Mirek
2018-6-26
Use props
DMX_MT
Second Officer
Malta

Mirek6 Posted at 2018-6-26 06:11
DMX_MT,

I have never been in such situation (I am wiping sweat out of my forehead now ;-) so I do not have first hand experience. But I have seen many posts on this forum where people switched to Sports mode when drone was in trouble (ATTI and difficult to control) and it saved them. I believe we understand now  why and what is the science behind such behaviour.

LOL ! I will listen to you and take Precaution. You made me laugh with the last sentence as that is what I would have probably done in Panic Mode.

I really like the idea Mirek as it makes very much sense to me. Welldone again !

Thanks Mirek !
2018-6-26
Use props
BrilhasMuito
lvl.4
Brazil

Mirek6 Posted at 2018-6-25 17:55
BrilhasMuito,

Man,
You know a lot about drones!
Now everything is clear to me. Thanks for your input. I fully agree with you.
I've never read anything about recovering from ATTI by switching to sport mode. It makes real sense. I hope I never need to confirm it to you. hahahahahhahahahahaha
Your input is always pretty helpful!
Thanks man!  
2018-6-26
Use props
eelco
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1091447 ft
Netherlands

Mirek6 Posted at 2018-6-26 05:45
eelco,

Post you logs on Phantom site and let us analyze. Perhaps we can help you find your drone. Perhaps we can all collectively learn something more.

o.k wil do now thank you
2018-6-26
Use props
Northwood
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2148596 ft
Canada

Long read, but good advice.  A few frayed nerves too.  A couple of things come to mind.  And perhaps these have been raised before....

Why dont we have have a switch to enable dropping to Atti manually, so people can learn to fly in that mode in a safe environment?

And another question, when in Atti mode, is there any kind of altitude hold or is it automatically going to sink, which I gather you can over-ride with the stick.  Also, does VPS kick in near the ground?  Thx

Glad everyone chilled out.
2018-6-26
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules