1998 5 2018-6-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fanseaf43ff8
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4544 ft
United States

This gimbal is EXCEPTIONAL!

I use it with an A7S-II and an A7R-III, both with a wide variety of lenses - and have rapidly concluded that I can't do without it!

So, what have been my challenges? There are really only two:

• I have found that the remote control for the Sony A7 series bodies, which requires the use of the IR cable, is totally reliable with the A7S-II but much less so with the A7R-III. Positioning the LED end of the cable is MUCH more critical with the "R" than the "S". Incidentally, I have found it very helpful to use two Velcro-based cable straps to hold the IR cable in place. These are mounted on the main bar of the gimbal.
  • With a Sony body and big lens installed, the whole rig is definitely a bit heavy (the camera + lens together weigh about 5lb). However, a few days ago I received an item that I had ordered from Amazon - and the weight problem has gone away for good! That item is a harness designed for use by flag bearers during parades etc. Honestly, One of these should be bundled with every Ronin S. The straps are adjustable and allow me to use the gimbal either with its own "tripod" foot (closed of course) OR a Gitzo monopod instead of the DJI foot. Yes, I do have to walk strangely. but the harness helps a LOT to minimise stress on my 78yo arms.

I couldn't be happier with my purchase - but am eagerly looking forward to the availability of some accessories.  BTW, I have a Ronin-M that I will soon be offering for sale...

The Ronin S also works well on my Kessler Pocket Jib Pro and I will soon be trying it on a vibration-damped RigWheels platform that's magnetically mounted to my car.

If you would like to know what I find to be so effective in helping to carry the weight, go to amazon.com and search for "Parade Carrying Belt Double Harness White Web"

Pete
2018-6-22
Use props
Surface2Air
Second Officer
Flight distance : 167441 ft
Canada

Great idea and thanks for the info!
2018-6-23
Use props
jamesedmunds.gmail
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2533 ft
United States

I bought one of those flag holders on your recommendation and it works great! Can't tell the difference between footage hand-holding and resting on my tummy. BUT it would be worth having it anyway even if you couldn't shoot while using it, just for the rest it provides between takes, moving from location to location, etc. Thanks for sharing this terrific idea!
2018-6-23
Use props
IMMKU
lvl.1
Flight distance : 341949 ft
  • >>>

Pete, thanks for the tip! I just ordered the harness and it's great that they offer free returns in case this doesn't fit a petite woman. I've got the a7R-III with 16-35 lens on mine and it's very heavy (for me) so fingers crossed!
2018-6-23
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Pete, thank you so much for sharing your experience with Ronin-S, our engineers are working on improving our products and we will release accessories very soon, please pay attention to the online store.
2018-6-24
Use props
picturemark1
lvl.1
United States

Great idea. I just got my Ronin S and was looking for some fatigue relief soon.
2018-9-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules