3148 26 2018-6-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans5a2c14ec
lvl.1
Flight distance : 17844 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I am so Happy with The DJI GO4 APP Updating Itself without asking consent and shutting down both My New Mavic Air and My Spark (Leaving Me to scramble to get reconnected and tossing out the Passwords for my spark which had worn off the back of the controller and no way would it reconnect to the Mavic Air) only to loose once in a Lifteme Footage of My Son Graduating from High School and the Parade of Cars the Students were pulling up in Old and Classic Cars afterward  lining up to enter with thier Dates etc!   This just Wrecked My day after spending Tens of THOUSANDS in DJI Equipment since 2011 only to be foiled by a stupid app that cant be overidden! Yes I feel like pouring gas on everything and burning it!! Just when I needed everything to work and brought my spark as backup DJI GO4 just wreaked Havock on my Evening! Thought about bring my P3s along but nah what could happen well it did happen just when i needed it the most! Should have brought my 3DR Iris at least I would have something to show that no program overides !

2018-6-22
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

I am guessing your Smartdevice, that was running the DJI GO-4 App, was connected to Internet via your cellular provider when it did an update without asking you?
2018-6-22
Use props
Lok Mavic
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1486660 ft
Malaysia

I firmly believe that apps auto update is in no way under DJI control. The option for auto update is in the OS that you use. For apple devices, it is in Settings>iTunes & App store and for android, open Play Store>Settings>Auto update apps.
2018-6-22
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft

Lok Mavic Posted at 2018-6-22 23:11
I firmly believe that apps auto update is in no way under DJI control. The option for auto update is in the OS that you use. For apple devices, it is in Settings>iTunes & App store and for android, open Play Store>Settings>Auto update apps.

Exactly! And flying with internet connection can have other negative impacts too.
2018-6-22
Use props
AlansDronePics
Second Officer
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Guernsey

Sounds like you need to spend a couple of minutes learning how to work your smartphone.
You can prevent auto updates. You can restrict updates over wifi only. You can be notified of update so you can decide if you want it or not. Don't blame DJI or your smartphone for your error.
2018-6-23
Use props
InvisibleName 7
lvl.4
Flight distance : 795653 ft

I’d say this was an ‘own goal’!
2018-6-23
Use props
fans5a2c14ec
lvl.1
  • >>>
Canada

I don't like paying hundreds even thousands then being held up because a app will not restart,going back to what works when I want it to. Yes it is my fault for buying something that's held to the mercy of third party apps to be able to operate properly,whish these things had their own basic screen for fpv
2018-6-23
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer

fans5a2c14ec Posted at 2018-6-23 04:23
I don't like paying hundreds even thousands then being held up because a app will not restart,going back to what works when I want it to. Yes it is my fault for buying something that's held to the mercy of third party apps to be able to operate properly,whish these things had their own basic screen for fpv

You could have a look at DJI Crystalsky. It's not cheap but great value for money.
2018-6-23
Use props
paul2660
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10331 ft
  • >>>

Note to self, if a iOS device, always turn off auto updates, and don't allow auto OS updates.  Apple has a ton of issues with their own code.  

Apps won't update if you turn off "autoupdate" on a iOS device.  If Android you can alway go back to the previous level, something Apple can't seem to either figure out or allow.

I would also never update the firmware on the drone unless you know the firmware is fixing some problem you have with your drone.   You can bypass the firmware updates when prompted.

The world is running on auto "auto updates", I hate this, and at least you can still turn it off on iOS devices.

Paul C
2018-6-23
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

paul2660 Posted at 2018-6-23 09:26
Note to self, if a iOS device, always turn off auto updates, and don't allow auto OS updates.  Apple has a ton of issues with their own code.  

Apps won't update if you turn off "autoupdate" on a iOS device.  If Android you can alway go back to the previous level, something Apple can't seem to either figure out or allow.

something Apple can't seem to either figure out or allow.

Apple is arrogant in that way.  Along with a few other ways.
You can get around problem by making Full backups from time to time, and keeping backups.
Apple update causes problems, wipe iPhone / iPad, and revert to Full backup prior to update.

2018-6-23
Use props
fans5a2c14ec
lvl.1
  • >>>
Canada

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-6-23 08:59
You could have a look at DJI Crystalsky. It's not cheap but great value for money.

did not know this was available?
2018-6-23
Use props
fans5a2c14ec
lvl.1
  • >>>
Canada

Did not know this was available
2018-6-23
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

It's not cheap (period).

2018-6-23
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

fans5a2c14ec Posted at 2018-6-23 09:42

Be a well informed buyer.
Check out - CrystalSky forum - first.

2018-6-23
Use props
nixuspix
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2864974 ft
  • >>>
Latvia

I have 2 CrystalSky devices - 5.5" and UB 7.85". Both are working quite well so far (knock, knock...) About have a year.
2018-6-23
Use props
paul2660
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10331 ft
  • >>>

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-6-23 09:36
something Apple can't seem to either figure out or allow.

Apple is arrogant in that way.  Along with a few other ways.

Apple, iOS, you can prevent both updates to the OS and or apps.

You have to go into settings on iPad, iPhone and set apps to not auto update.

iOS, you will get flagged to update, and here you have to be careful not to select the update option, but instead update later.  The OS will keep asking you but will not force an update.  Only time I know that this can bite you is if you have to replace a iPad or iPhone under warranty as if the physical device is replaced you will get the most current version of the iOS.

Mac OS, always prompts you as to updates.  Which is actually much better than win10.  If you are on a mobile device laptop, win10 will ask you about updates since you may not have a good connection, where as if you are on a ethernet direct connection (albeit rare these days), win10 will just update when necessary during a shutdown.  I know of no way to stop that process on a desktop, but there may be a setting somewhere.  I tend to allow windows updates as sadly windows tends to need a lot of them, on Mac, I rarely update, unless it's something I am needing.  

Paul C
2018-6-23
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer

As mentioned, it has it's price but myself I would not fly with any other device again unless for testing purposes. I fly with the larger 7,85 High Brightness version, but I have seen a lot of positive feedback also for the smaller 5,5 version.
2018-6-23
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

paul2660 Posted at 2018-6-23 11:51
Apple, iOS, you can prevent both updates to the OS and or apps.

You have to go into settings on iPad, iPhone and set apps to not auto update.

Thank you.  But I was already aware.
2018-6-23
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I have both Crystalsky, both work fine and save a lot of trouble with phones getting clogged up, along with a whole host of other stuff.
2018-6-23
Use props
Lok Mavic
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1486660 ft
Malaysia

I wont get a Crystalsky. It still is an Android device. If fpv is more to your preference, DJI Goggles is a good investment. If you dont use it with your drone you still can hook it up to your computer using the HDMI port.
2018-6-23
Use props
SparksBird
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-6-23 12:35
As mentioned, it has it's price but myself I would not fly with any other device again unless for testing purposes. I fly with the larger 7,85 High Brightness version, but I have seen a lot of positive feedback also for the smaller 5,5 version.

Really need to get the CS but um yeah wife not allowing for the time being   I have such a hard time so often seeing my iphone 6 plus screen sometimes I just do not fly as even a sun shade does not help and do not want to risk.  
2018-6-23
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer

SparksBird Posted at 2018-6-23 17:25
Really need to get the CS but um yeah wife not allowing for the time being   I have such a hard time so often seeing my iphone 6 plus screen sometimes I just do not fly as even a sun shade does not help and do not want to risk.

I cross my fingers that your next birthday or Christmas might get your wife in the right mood!
2018-6-24
Use props
Datadogie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 27028 ft

nixuspix Posted at 2018-6-23 10:30
I have 2 CrystalSky devices - 5.5" and UB 7.85". Both are working quite well so far (knock, knock...) About have a year.

Do you think it is worth the extra for the 7.8"
2018-6-24
Use props
R&L Aerial photography
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Go to settings and uncheck the box the says “automatically update apps” then when you fly put your device in “airplane mode” and this issue will never happen again....
2018-6-24
Use props
nixuspix
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2864974 ft
  • >>>
Latvia

Datadogie Posted at 2018-6-24 03:14
Do you think it is worth the extra for the 7.8"

Yep, for sure. And besides UB provides 2000 Nits against 1000 nits of 5.5"
2018-6-24
Use props
fans5a2c14ec
lvl.1
  • >>>
Canada

Just great when trying to get your password and  link for a spark when it rubs off the transmitter and its nowhere on the box?? suppose its my fault too? blame it on android and everything else besides the maker?

?
2018-6-25
Use props
fans0474319c
lvl.1

United States

It appears that folks are starting to catch on to the PITA DJI has become. when we stop buying their products, they will let us have what we paid for.
2019-8-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules