Ronin S & Canon Camera Control
12Next >
23592 41 2018-6-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sumoadam
lvl.2
United States

I asked DJI support earlier this week about start/stop button functionality with Canon 1dx ii via mcc-b USB cable. The smartphone app is also impacted by the "create" functions, so no panoramas or motionlapses.  After 3 emails back and forth this week I received the following this morning;

------------------
Confirmed with our senior engineers, this feature will be supported through a future firmware update.

Currently, start/stop recording videos/ photos are not supported.

Please wait for the next firmware version.
------------------

No mention of a timeframe for the firmware update.

2018-6-23
Use props
Jq4209
lvl.3
United States

I had a similar experience.  I have a Canon 5D Mark IV, 5D Mark II, and a 6D Mark II.  The IR cables does trigger still pictures in the 5D models.  However, it does not trigger the video.  The USB cables will trigger the video in the 5D Mark IV, but will not trigger stills (needed for the create functionality).  When attaching the USB cables to the 6D Mark II and 5D Mark II, this causes the Ronin-S' motors to go into sleep mode.  The cables do not control these two models, even after rebooting.  The 6D Model Mark II is not controlled by any of the cables, including the IR cable.  
2018-6-23
Use props
Jq4209
lvl.3
United States

I had a similar experience.  I have a Canon 5D Mark IV, 5D Mark II, and a 6D Mark II.  The IR cables does trigger still pictures in the 5D models.  However, it does not trigger the video.  The USB cables will trigger the video in the 5D Mark IV, but will not trigger stills (needed for the create functionality).  When attaching the USB cables to the 6D Mark II and 5D Mark II, this causes the Ronin-S' motors to go into sleep mode.  The cables do not control these two models, even after rebooting.  The 6D Mark II model is not controlled by any of the cables, including the IR cable.  The focus wheel does not work on any of the models (for now), but this is not unexpected as the compatibility matrix shows Canon lenses will be supported in a future firmware update.  
After contacting DJI as it relates to the cables on the various Canon models, the final reply was that these models would be supported in a future firmware update.  No date or timeframe was provided.  I am dubious, though, given the current state of compatibility with the different models that all these cameras will, in fact, be supported.  Why wouldn't the Canon 6D Mark II be supported now on the IR cable when a cheapy IR remote works just fine on the same Canon model?  Anyway, I guess I have no choice but to wait for the firmware update to see if this resolves the compatibility issues.
2018-6-23
Use props
rbendjebar.mac
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3170190 ft
  • >>>

I'm still awaiting shipping notice (July 2 will be 25 business days from order placed) but the various threads on this forum give me little optimism that the Ronin s is ready for prime time:

Both Nikon and Canon DSLR camera owners have posted various issues with using the provided USB camera cables to control even basic functions like video/still start stop, with the RSS cable being recommended as a work around until a FW update. That means that creative functions like panorama and timelapse (photo) are unavailable or unreliable. Long exposure timelapse is dependent on the coordination of camera movement and shutter release (start-stop-start) which doesn't seem to have occurred to the DJI engineers.  If the gimbal moves continuously during a sequence it would blur any long exposure images. Control of stop-start and shutter release needs to be synchronized to avoid gimbal movement during open shutter. Is this feature awaiting future development or has this not even been considered? "Holy Grail" timelapse sequences are impossible without control of camera parameters like shutter speed or f-stop.
I'm a Canon owner, so I feel for the Nikon owners who have been told that the issue of camera control lies with the Nikon SDK. I'm hopeful that the promise of a future FW update to enable camera controls beyond video/photo stop/start will include follow focus as well as parameters like shutter speed, f-stop and ISO (and do so via USB control cable instead of RSS).

Once again it seems as if early adapters are in beta testing mode instead of receiving a fully functioning (and compatible) gimbal. Nothing new here
2018-6-25
Use props
Jq4209
lvl.3
United States

Jq4209 Posted at 2018-6-23 10:23
I had a similar experience.  I have a Canon 5D Mark IV, 5D Mark II, and a 6D Mark II.  The IR cables does trigger still pictures in the 5D models.  However, it does not trigger the video.  The USB cables will trigger the video in the 5D Mark IV, but will not trigger stills (needed for the create functionality).  When attaching the USB cables to the 6D Mark II and 5D Mark II, this causes the Ronin-S' motors to go into sleep mode.  The cables do not control these two models, even after rebooting.  The 6D Model Mark II is not controlled by any of the cables, including the IR cable.

The latest firmware resolved my issues with the IR cable across the different camera models.
2018-6-28
Use props
sumoadam
lvl.2
United States

Latest Firmware: v1.2.0.10 did not fix the usb cable functionality or focus button trigger with 1dx ii.  
2018-6-28
Use props
YeahBuddy
lvl.1
Canada

So currently  you have to press the start/stop button on your camera to start recording? Oh boy.
2018-6-29
Use props
sumoadam
lvl.2
United States

YeahBuddy Posted at 2018-6-29 11:26
So currently  you have to press the start/stop button on your camera to start recording? Oh boy.

That's true.  

On a 1dx ii, the supplied usb cable pretty much has no functionality with the start/stop button on the Ronin and the App "create" choices until a future firmware update.   Without the cable you're just manually start/stop video, or tapping the screen to focus on the camera directly.  The ronin s is still doing it's intended job and it's pretty good at that.
2018-6-29
Use props
Agustinmgc
lvl.2
Mexico

Jq4209 Posted at 2018-6-23 10:28
I had a similar experience.  I have a Canon 5D Mark IV, 5D Mark II, and a 6D Mark II.  The IR cables does trigger still pictures in the 5D models.  However, it does not trigger the video.  The USB cables will trigger the video in the 5D Mark IV, but will not trigger stills (needed for the create functionality).  When attaching the USB cables to the 6D Mark II and 5D Mark II, this causes the Ronin-S' motors to go into sleep mode.  The cables do not control these two models, even after rebooting.  The 6D Mark II model is not controlled by any of the cables, including the IR cable.  The focus wheel does not work on any of the models (for now), but this is not unexpected as the compatibility matrix shows Canon lenses will be supported in a future firmware update.  
After contacting DJI as it relates to the cables on the various Canon models, the final reply was that these models would be supported in a future firmware update.  No date or timeframe was provided.  I am dubious, though, given the current state of compatibility with the different models that all these cameras will, in fact, be supported.  Why wouldn't the Canon 6D Mark II be supported now on the IR cable when a cheapy IR remote works just fine on the same Canon model?  Anyway, I guess I have no choice but to wait for the firmware update to see if this resolves the compatibility issues.

Hello Jq4209 I'm new to the filmmaking hobby. I cannot see a way to use the focus wheel on my 6d mark ii or even connect it to the gimbal. Any luck with that camera?
2018-7-12
Use props
Jq4209
lvl.3
United States

Agustinmgc Posted at 2018-7-12 17:23
Hello Jq4209 I'm new to the filmmaking hobby. I cannot see a way to use the focus wheel on my 6d mark ii or even connect it to the gimbal. Any luck with that camera?

No.  This was confirmed the focus wheel accessory is not supported on the Canon 6D Mark II at this time. The MCC cables (neither the The micro USB [type B] or USB-C [type C]) can be connected without an adapter as you are pointing out, but unlike the 5D Mark III which will work with the adapter, the 6D Mark II will not.  

I do love the functionality on my Canon 5D Mark IV, and the focus wheel works with lenses which I did not anticipate, but I would really like to be able to use the focus wheel with my 6D Mark II because of the 6D’s rotatable flip out screen.

The compatability list shows DJI is working on USB cable functionality for the Canon 6D Mark II, but it is not clear if this will allow the use of the focus wheel, or if that will only address the ability to trigger the camera for stills/videos. I’m really hoping it allows the use of the focus wheel.

So, we and all the others, along with all of the Nikon users, wait together for the next firmware upgrade.
2018-7-12
Use props
Agustinmgc
lvl.2
Mexico

Jq4209 Posted at 2018-7-12 17:51
No.  This was confirmed the focus wheel accessory is not supported on the Canon 6D Mark II at this time. The MCC cables (neither the The micro USB [type B] or USB-C [type C]) can be connected without an adapter as you are pointing out, but unlike the 5D Mark III which will work with the adapter, the 6D Mark II will not.  

I do love the functionality on my Canon 5D Mark IV, and the focus wheel works with lenses which I did not anticipate, but I would really like to be able to use the focus wheel with my 6D Mark II because of the 6D’s rotatable flip out screen.

I appreciate your reply! Even if the focus wheel does not work with the 6d have you been able to use it with the moving time laps? I cannot connect the camera at all to the ronin s
2018-7-12
Use props
StianGel
lvl.4
Flight distance : 686654 ft
Norway

My 6D mkI works fine in motion timelapse. You have to use the ir cable, and have the drivemode set to 2 sec. self timer. Shortest interval needs to be set to 3 sec. or longer.
You could probably use the track function and the built in timelapse function. This will require a faster shutterspeed since the gimbal moves constantly.
2018-7-12
Use props
Jq4209
lvl.3

Agustinmgc Posted at 2018-7-12 18:38
I appreciate your reply! Even if the focus wheel does not work with the 6d have you been able to use it with the moving time laps? I cannot connect the camera at all to the ronin s

Yes.  After the first firmware upgrade, the IR cable works well for the 6D Mark II.  If you haven’t upgraded the firmware, try that. Some settings you’ll want to make sure are on are: you’re not in video mode (of course), that you have the remote control setting enabled, and that your drive mode is set appropriately. There shouldn’t be a problem as long as the IR light is positioned well in front of the camera’s IT sensor.
2018-7-13
Use props
Justaboutme007
New

United States

Jq4209 Posted at 2018-6-23 10:23

Hey, is there an adapter needed to use MCC-B cable with canon 5dM4?
2018-7-13
Use props
Jq4209
lvl.3
United States

Justaboutme007@gmail.com Posted at 2018-7-13 08:36
Hey, is there an adapter needed to use MCC-B cable with canon 5dM4?

No, you can use the MCC type B cord...the micro-usb cord...it will plug into the bottom part of the 5D Mark IV’s input.  In other words, the input port is “split” with an upper and lower part.  It’ll plug in the lower part just fine, and then you’ll be able to control your camera.  

For others who might read, if you have a 5D Mark III it will work with a mini to micro USB adapter - you can pick one up from Amazon for a couple of dollars.  The adapter will not work for the 5D Mark II, 6D, or 6D Mark II...Sorry for any others, but I am out of cameras to test.

The word is that an official USB cord for the mini USB port cameras will be out in late July, but not confirmed.  Also, not sure what functionality the mini USB cable will bring.
2018-7-13
Use props
Timothy Burgess
lvl.1

Australia

Hi guys,

Trying to get this button/controls working with the Canon 5Dsr.
I am on the latest firmware, 1.03.

I am using the MCC type B cord, plugged into the bottom part of the camera input.

No luck.
I get nothing.

Anyone got any tips?

Thanks.
Timothy

2018-8-6
Use props
Flying Robot
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2255092 ft
  • >>>

Any news on the Ronin-S follow focus update for Canon DSLR's? I would think with the 5d on the Ronin-S packaging this would be a priority update?
2018-8-8
Use props
Giorgos321
lvl.1
Flight distance : 51342 ft
Cyprus

StianGel Posted at 2018-7-12 23:21
My 6D mkI works fine in motion timelapse. You have to use the ir cable, and have the drivemode set to 2 sec. self timer. Shortest interval needs to be set to 3 sec. or longer.
You could probably use the track function and the built in timelapse function. This will require a faster shutterspeed since the gimbal moves constantly.

Do you know if the 6D MK 1 works? In the list they had the camera as well as as the basic lens 24-105mm! But it doesn’t seem to work!
2018-10-6
Use props
StianGel
lvl.4
Flight distance : 686654 ft
Norway

Giorgos321 Posted at 2018-10-6 03:02
Do you know if the 6D MK 1 works? In the list they had the camera as well as as the basic lens 24-105mm! But it doesn’t seem to work!

I had it working at before with the IR cable, but i have replaced the camera, so i don't know if it works on the current firmware.
2018-10-6
Use props
fansdc8160d1
lvl.1
Peru

Jq4209 Posted at 2018-7-13 04:40
Yes.  After the first firmware upgrade, the IR cable works well for the 6D Mark II.  If you haven’t upgraded the firmware, try that. Some settings you’ll want to make sure are on are: you’re not in video mode (of course), that you have the remote control setting enabled, and that your drive mode is set appropriately. There shouldn’t be a problem as long as the IR light is positioned well in front of the camera’s IT sensor.

have you managed to use the focus wheel?
2018-10-6
Use props
Giorgos321
lvl.1
Cyprus

StianGel Posted at 2018-10-6 05:17
I had it working at before with the IR cable, but i have replaced the camera, so i don't know if it works on the current firmware.

Tried but it doesn’t seem work! At least the trigger should have been able to work as before with the Canon 6D! How can DJI updated the ronin s and excluded other cameras from working that worked fine with previous version of the software in Ronin?! It’s a really a shame!
2018-10-8
Use props
Giorgos321
lvl.1
Cyprus

Jq4209 Posted at 2018-7-13 11:34
No, you can use the MCC type B cord...the micro-usb cord...it will plug into the bottom part of the 5D Mark IV’s input.  In other words, the input port is “split” with an upper and lower part.  It’ll plug in the lower part just fine, and then you’ll be able to control your camera.  

For others who might read, if you have a 5D Mark III it will work with a mini to micro USB adapter - you can pick one up from Amazon for a couple of dollars.  The adapter will not work for the 5D Mark II, 6D, or 6D Mark II...Sorry for any others, but I am out of cameras to test.

Hi, have you tested the new software 1.5 something and the adapter with these canons especially the 6D?
2018-10-8
Use props
Dina G.
New

United States

Any luck using the canon 5d mark ii with the ronin s yet?
2018-11-10
Use props
Dina G.
New

United States

2018-11-10
Use props
Mattcoq
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3642602 ft
  • >>>
United States

Jq4209 Posted at 6-28 07:32
The latest firmware resolved my issues with the IR cable across the different camera models.

Thanks for this information ...

So just to make it clear, even though the Canon EOS 5D Mark II isn't mentioned in the compatibility list (for the time being), can you trigger (start and stop) the video from the handle on the Ronin S ?

2018-11-14
Use props
vzphotography
lvl.1
United States

Timothy Burgess Posted at 8-6 20:44
Hi guys,

Trying to get this button/controls working with the Canon 5Dsr.

Hi Timothy,

I just recently bought the Ronin-S, expecting it would work with the Canon 5DSR .

Did you get any response from DJI? Or any tips you can give me to make it work?

Thank you!
2018-11-20
Use props
SHEKI
lvl.1
Flight distance : 132753 ft
United States

vzphotography Posted at 11-20 08:47
Hi Timothy,

I just recently bought the Ronin-S, expecting it would work with the Canon 5DSR .

I'm with you on that one.... I bought the ronin s as a pre-order item and am still waiting!!!! The IR works for me but I bought this for the pull focus feature, why is this so compliocated for DJI?!
2018-11-30
Use props
BobbyShots
lvl.1
Flight distance : 220538 ft
United States

Has anybody been able to get the canon 1dxII to start/stop recording with the supplied cables? If so, could you let me know the procedure followed? I can not get it to run with the IR cable.
I have been successful with my 6dII.

Also, DJI please could clarify on the release notes and on the compatibility chart what cable is needed to make the idx ii work.

release notes from 11/29 = Added photo capture, video recording, autofocus, and focus pull support for EOS-1D X Mark II cameras
with supported EF lenses. To use autofocus on the EOS-1D X Mark II, press halfway down on the gimbal’s
camera control button (requires RSS-P control cable connection)

compatibilty pdf from 11/19 = rss-ir and mcc-b

Please help!
2018-12-4
Use props
sumoadam
lvl.2
United States

BobbyShots Posted at 12-4 13:54
Has anybody been able to get the canon 1dxII to start/stop recording with the supplied cables? If so, could you let me know the procedure followed? I can not get it to run with the IR cable.
I have been successful with my 6dII.

Use the supplied MCC-B cable for 1DX II, you just have to plug it in the bottom half of the USB port on the body.  All the functionality should work.  The Canon 1D bodies don't have IR ports.

2018-12-4
Use props
fans6381fdf7
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Come on DJI - this is ridiculous - I had a Zhiyun Crane 2 and I can control all camera functions - Aperture, ISO, Shutter whilst recording - why can't the Ronin S do this!!! So annoying. And I can't find any other third party device to do this either The OKii can do it all, bit not while recording
2018-12-8
Use props
pete29
lvl.1

Australia

2018-12-22
Use props
sumoadam
lvl.2
United States

pete29 Posted at 12-22 18:34

I can't imagine the 5d2 ever being supported, pretty old body plus no dual pixel AF is supported.  

Dual Pixel supported Canon Bodies;
- C100, C200 and C300 cinema cameras
- M5, M6 and M50 mirrorless cameras
- 1DX Mark II, 5D Mark IV, 6D Mark II, 7D markII, 70D, 77D, 80D, Rebel T71 (also known as the EOS 800D) and the Rebel SL2 (EOS 200D) DSLRs
2018-12-22
Use props
pete29
lvl.1

Australia

sumoadam Posted at 12-22 18:45
I can't imagine the 5d2 ever being supported, pretty old body plus no dual pixel AF is supported.  

Dual Pixel supported Canon Bodies;

It's odd because I saw a clip on YouTube which suggests it works.  Interestingly the publisher never replied to a question which was raised.  So I'm not really sure what to make of this this.

Unfortunately I can't publish the URL here, but the creators name is Jawad alabd and the clip is titled "DJI Ronin S + Canon 5D Mark II"

I want to use the 5D MK ii and Ronin S for time lapse and stills photography and ideally use a mini USB cable for the connection.  Canon's EOS utility supports remote shooting of various models under the same version, I've used it on an old 30D and it supports the 5D MK iv.  I'm hoping there hasn't been such a huge technology shift when it comes triggering.
Fingers crossed and thanks for the quick response.
2018-12-22
Use props
diy-guy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11857 ft
Germany

I use my 6d Mk2 with this small hack to adapt the normal MCC-B to Mini-USB and it works (most of the time). Description as here:
https://konkludenz.de/en/dji-ron ... k-ii-control-cable/
Maybe it helps you.
2018-12-24
Use props
pete29
lvl.1

Australia

diy-guy Posted at 12-24 02:46
I use my 6d Mk2 with this small hack to adapt the normal MCC-B to Mini-USB and it works (most of the time). Description as here:
https://konkludenz.de/en/dji-ronin-s-canon-eos-6d-mark-ii-control-cable/
Maybe it helps you.

Thanks DIY,
I checked out your web page, thanks for sharing the information.  I ordered an adapter the other day on ebay, I'm uncertain if the one I purchased has all the required pin outs. I see that DJI sell a dedicated mini cable, if the adapter fails I'll try it.
2018-12-24
Use props
Singh Jashan
New

Canada

Can someone help me here..
I just wanted to know if we can control Shutter speed, Exposure or ISO of camera straight from gimbal!!!
If YES, then how?
I’m using canon 5d mark 4 with Ronin S.
Thanks.
2018-12-26
Use props
jokers999
lvl.1
Flight distance : 36204 ft
New Zealand

Singh Jashan Posted at 2018-12-26 00:15
Can someone help me here..
I just wanted to know if we can control Shutter speed, Exposure or ISO of camera straight from gimbal!!!
If YES, then how?

Exactly! I'm waiting for this! Canon 5D Mark IV
2019-1-19
Use props
djiuser_yYBCXSNcciHw
lvl.1
Canada

Hi,

I installed the special cable I purchased from Ronin to allow control on my camera Canon 6D/5DMIII.
Plug it in and.. nothing.
Red light flashing on focus wheel, which means it's not connected, but there is no information about what that means or how to resolve it.
Can't stop or start recording.
Tried moving the button underneath from s-mode to Can with no effect.
So, what is the magic step that is missing to make this work.

The last time I tried this it worked but not now, so it's not a firmware thing.

Thanks.

2019-3-23
Use props
HARVARD69
lvl.1
United States

Hi All

Please help me. Has DJI ever made a cable so I can control all the functions on the Ronin s with my Canon 7D Mk ii. I have been waiting for 2 years . what a bummer

I own Ronin S
Mavic Pro 2
Osmo Mobile
Osmo Pocket.

I support DJI please support me. Anything you can do to help. Your Apps are amazing, but not if my camera can’t use there functions.
2020-1-6
Use props
HARVARD69
lvl.1
United States

djiuser_yYBCXSNcciHw Posted at 2019-3-23 09:55
Hi,

I installed the special cable I purchased from Ronin to allow control on my camera Canon 6D/5DMIII.

I think I am beating a dead horse. I should sell it and cut my loses. UGH
2020-1-6
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules