A LIST OF QUESTIONS -PHANTOM 3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
shed14
lvl.2
Flight distance : 6854 ft
Australia

Hey fellow flyers!

Got my hands on the PH3 and the little bird is tip top! miss my PH2v+ but time to move on to bigger and better..

Now here is a list of probs/questions relating to the PHANTOM 3-

1-  Where is a detailed manual for the IOS app? The basic version included in the Phantom manual is crap and does not explain any setting in the app in detail

2-How do i play back any video recorded thru the app? The only way to do this for me is to use the "play button' on the controller.. is there no way of playback using a button on the app?

3- in the app.. under batteries.. the details listed there are very basic.. no manufactured date , no history info other than 'normal' .. the inspire1 seems to have this additional info

4- how can i reset the home point once its set. say i turn on the phantom in one spot then i move it 10 meters away to the take off point... how do i reset the home point to the new take off area? again the dji youtube video and manuals refer to the inspire1 features nothing listed for PH3..

5-  in the map view.. what is the eraser button in the bottom right for? doesnt do anything on mine..

6- not that i plan to, but how can i fly above 500m?  eg.. if i was filming the burge kalifa in DUBAI, the building is 800m high.. how could i fly to the top?? (for example)

7- how do you active home lock?

8- what is the video cache for? should i have it on or off?

9- what is "enable hardware decode'?? is this feature on the PHANTOM side or the Iphone App side?

10- when i use a screen recorder to record the iphone screen the video feed from the phantom is glitchy.. possible reasons? and is it possible to record my iphone screen without the glitches? do i have to change something else to make this work?

11- should i use auto or custom in the "image transmition setting" to get the furthest flight distance?

12- how can i tell what version of firmware my battery is? (this is not shown in the battery app)

13- what setting do i need to have my camera set to, for filming at night?  Video settings that is....

14- what settings do i need for getting clear colorful night shots?

15- how do i get the flight records found in 'user center' > middle tab at the bottom off ontop my laptop rather than send it to the dji cloud.. (cheeky by the way) spying on where i fly!

i think thats about enufff questions for now..

if anyone can enlighten me on these issue that would be super!!

many thanks in advance!

Harvey

2015-5-16
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

1. Up till yesterday, it appeared we users were going to provide the manual, mostly via YouTube videos. Yesterday DJI released a series of introductory videos. Nothing yet about the pilot app.
2. In the app, on the right side of the screen, the next-to-the-last "control" is the playback button.
3. ???
4. Maybe in the future - not yet
5. ???
6. Personally, this should be classified as "...doing something stupid..."
7. When the app displays (in green) "Ready to fly - GPS" you'll know a home lock has been set.
8. ???
9.???
10. Bitch to Apple, not DJI
11. ???
12. If you do an update, the battery gets updated with the same firmware as the craft and remote.
13. I'm an amateur photographer - still learning also.
14. See answer #13
15. Connect mobile device to PC. Find DJI Pilot Logs. Choose a log. Open www.flylitchi.com and select LOGS. Copy and paste your selected log to the "selected file" and press the Convert to CSV button. When your download is complete (I'm running WIN 7) you can open that file in Excel. Save the result anywhere you like. You will NOT have a summary, but a detailed snapshot every so many milliseconds.

I'm hoping DJI will soon release a detailed video and/or manual on the Pilot app specifically as it applies to the Phantom 3.
2015-5-17
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

Ad. 5
You can draw lines on your map - to help with your mission planning I presume. The "Draw"-tool is on the left in the middle. Not really sure what the Eraser does (erases them) - I usually tab "Clear guides (or lines?) when I want to clear the lines I've drawn.

Ad. 8
It seems to use the video cache for the Director - if you want to edit quick videos on your device. Also, it might be handy in case of an accident where you lose your Phantom. If using an iPhone or iPad you can access the files in iTunes, click APPS and click the DJI Pilot App, you can then see the "documents" - and then you can Save As the files to your computer. These are 720p video files captured from Lightbridge connection I believe. If you have room on your device I don't see why you should not have it enabled - just in case, or for when you want to use Director. So ultimately your digression.

Ad. 9
I would have it turned on - I assume it uses the GPU-features on your device to display the live video in the most efficient manner. Try turning it off to see what happens? I could imagine that if you had problems with the live-feed or the app crashing, this might be something that might be worth trying to turn off. Also, older devices might not have the feature so they can't use it. I'm guessing a bit here - but it is likely not of any concern.

Ad. 11
I would not fly so far away that it was an issue. But I would think that Custom would allow for lower quality - thereby less bandwidth, meaning it should stay stable (but not as pretty) for longer. Setting lower quality might also be an idea if flying in a heavily wifi-congested area. So the option is nice - I just haven't tested it out - or had the need to.

Ad 13.
Colorful photos at night? thats a tough one!   There needs to be some light, obviously... And colorful and night does not sound likely. However, you CAN switch to Manual mode and manually set the exposure-time really high. You can go as far as 8 seconds - but that will likely create blurry shots, unless the Phantom is super-stable (it might also help getting a good distance away from what you are filming - so the tiny inevitable movements won't be noticed as much).

Ad. 14.
Same as 13, but there is another trick that can help (but remember it is not a night vision camera...!). You can use "bracketing" - hold down the shutter button and a menu opens. Select 3 or 5 brackets. 5 brackets for the highest amount of HDR (High Dynamic range). It will then shoot the image at low exposure (dark) and normal and high exposure (light).  You can then combine those photos in for example Adobe Lightroom, into a HDR-picture where it uses the detail from both the dark and the light areas of the photo and combines them into one higher quality photo. This might not work too well at pitch dark - but shooting sunsets or after sunset or against the sun or in dark situations, this is really a great feature. Takes some work - but you'll appreciate that great shot. Photography, in my opinion, with the Phantom 3 is more about getting a few great shots you will cherish, than shooting a lot like we might be used to do with a mobile phone these days.

Also, I suggest shooting in RAW (I shoot in RAW+JPG). Takes a little longer for the shots - but you have more freedom editing afterwards.

Also, I shoot in LOG-color-mode and even turn down the contrast even further in Custom Style. That creates a bit boring looking "flat" photos and videos - but gives me the maximum ability to color-grade and add the darkening or lightening of parts of the video/photo and get the look I want. This is more difficult to do if you are already shooting "Vivid" or similarly photos with high contrast - where some of the image-data has been lost.

Thats a few answers and suggestions. Hope some of it will be useful
-
Buy your DJI-gear, batteries, cases by using this link - it'll help me out

2015-5-17
Use props
shed14
lvl.2
Flight distance : 6854 ft
Australia

THANKS VERY MUCH for your informative replies gents!
Got most of the answers i was looking for.  It would be nice if DJI would publish something more in depth to explain in detail every function of the dji pilot app. FIngers crossed it comes out soon.
This bird is great and i want to know im flying it to its full potential..
Again thanks for the details replies and if i work out the best settings for the camera/video at night i will share with you guys.
Ill start with FANTOMDKs suggestions and go from there.
and thanks aburkefl for the log info too!

see ya in the skies
2015-5-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules