GPS waypoints or planned flight path
12280 9 2018-6-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansf37546e2
New
United States

Hey All,

First off we are Jason and Elise Cox hailing from Phoenix, Arizona. This is not my first Drone per say (never spent more than $150 were more “toys” instead of business tools.) We own a successful photography business and Real Estate Brokerage.

I am looking for tips on waypoints or planned flight since my wife and I aren’t the best at “free flight.” Is there a way to set a flight pattern for optimal video of a property? I would like it to be fluid and not choppy since we sell multi-million dollar assets (mostly commercial buildings and land projects) I am very excited to launch the Mavic Air for the first time later today to record a rocket launch with our children. Later this week we will be touring some of our listings including a hotel and golf resort, so I would like to shorten the learning curve and insight is greatly appreciated!!!!

Your new friends and fellow pilots,

Mr and Mrs Jason Cox
Jason@Cox.Properties
480-319-5771
Jason S. Cox PLLC & KW Commercial
Elise Juna Photography
2018-6-23
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hi. Welcome to DJI Forum. I understand that you want to know more about the waypoint function. Let me help you with this. I will be posting an official DJI tutorial link the waypoint function. Hope this can help you. Thank you.

2018-6-23
Use props
fansf37546e2
New

Excellent thank you! After charging everything and inserting battery and holding the “function” button on the back it will not start or beep twice for me to continue connecting the remote.....PLEASE HELP!
2018-6-23
Use props
Ken Storm
Second Officer
Flight distance : 178583 ft
United Kingdom

The Mavic air does not have a waypoint function via the DJI Go App, search for litchi.
I have an MA and as long as you do some pre flight checks, its very easy to fly. I keep an one eye on the craft and the other on the view screen.
Not flown vast distances but every flight my confidence rises.

Also read the manual.. at least twice.
2018-6-23
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI's "waypoint" function is substandard.  You need to be able to pre-plan/program and test your flights before launch.  I use Litchi (admittedly with a Pro, not Air) and it is extremely solid and useful.... Worth every penny of the $20-25.  Search this forum and MavicPilots.com forum for all kinds of endorsements of the App.  Runs on both Android and iOS, but I use it primarily on iOS.  I do ALL my planning on my iMac desktop, test run it on Google Earth Pro (which isn't necessary, but fun), and save each flight to the monitor from which the flight will be controlled.  You MUST also do a search on YouTube... there's a number of tutorials available that will give you the confidence for your first flight plan.  
2018-6-23
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 2018-6-23 10:52
Hi. Welcome to DJI Forum. I understand that you want to know more about the waypoint function. Let me help you with this. I will be posting an official DJI tutorial link the waypoint function. Hope this can help you. Thank you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvvbMxQ9Hj0

Completely unhelpful, Stephen. Read the OP's post before including a video.  He/She has a Mavic Air.  Waypoints do not work with the Air !!!
Again, DJI Stephen... you've misled your customer.  If you can't fix something, or don't know when it will be fixed, or if a feature is lacking, just SAY SO.  You're giving a bad name to your Support Staff.
2018-6-23
Use props
BKahuna
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7425909 ft
United States

I use Litchi with my MA on Android and have found it to be solid and have excellent features for waypoints.  You can setup your entire mission at home using their Mission Hub (based on Google Earth).  Then just go to the property you want to film, load the mission and watch your aircraft go.  It will make smooth transitions between waypoints and each waypoint is defined by coordinates, altitude and heading.  I would keep my finger hovering over the Pause button on the remote in case anything starts to go wrong.
2018-6-23
Use props
Atlanta
lvl.2
Flight distance : 335679 ft

BKahuna Posted at 2018-6-23 20:36
I use Litchi with my MA on Android and have found it to be solid and have excellent features for waypoints.  You can setup your entire mission at home using their Mission Hub (based on Google Earth).  Then just go to the property you want to film, load the mission and watch your aircraft go.  It will make smooth transitions between waypoints and each waypoint is defined by coordinates, altitude and heading.  I would keep my finger hovering over the Pause button on the remote in case anything starts to go wrong.

Compatible with mavic Air
2018-6-28
Use props
fans9cce4681
New

United States

WebParrot Posted at 2018-6-23 19:30
DJI's "waypoint" function is substandard.  You need to be able to pre-plan/program and test your flights before launch.  I use Litchi (admittedly with a Pro, not Air) and it is extremely solid and useful.... Worth every penny of the $20-25.  Search this forum and MavicPilots.com forum for all kinds of endorsements of the App.  Runs on both Android and iOS, but I use it primarily on iOS.  I do ALL my planning on my iMac desktop, test run it on Google Earth Pro (which isn't necessary, but fun), and save each flight to the monitor from which the flight will be controlled.  You MUST also do a search on YouTube... there's a number of tutorials available that will give you the confidence for your first flight plan.

Hi there.  Your posts are informative.  I am wondering if I could ask you a question.  I need a drone for a project.  It is being done in an orchard and we will be taking pictures/video. We will use the Litchi app for GPS waypoints.  Can you please advise which drone would be best for this purpose?  Thanks.
2020-4-21
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

fans9cce4681 Posted at 4-21 10:09
Hi there.  Your posts are informative.  I am wondering if I could ask you a question.  I need a drone for a project.  It is being done in an orchard and we will be taking pictures/video. We will use the Litchi app for GPS waypoints.  Can you please advise which drone would be best for this purpose?  Thanks.

Wow... you really latched on to an old post!  I appreciate the compliment, but I think you'd be well to spend a little time looking at some of the videos posted here (recently).  Make a list of the quads that you think you could afford, then search the sub-categories e.g., Mavic Pro, Pro 2, Spark, Mini....  See if there are any that display shots that would mimic the end result you desire.  There are tens-of-dozens of YouTube videos that compare the various DJI models features as well.  FlytPath is one that I've followed for years and he's recently done one comparing all four.
Lastly, I hope you're familiar with the video editing tools available.  iMove does the basics, but DaVinci Resolve is the master... and free.   Casey Faris has a YTube Channel that covers DaVinci including some beginner tutorials.  It may seem overwhelmingly complex, but you can master the basics, know that there are other options for fixing or making pretty.  
My point in bring up video editing in the context of 'which one' -- good editing software can make average footage great.  Unless, of course you happen to be a lousy photographer !! :-)
BTW.. at this point the Mini doesn't work with Litchi.  I use Litchi with an original White Mavic Pro and ... two years out it still works fine.
2020-4-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules