p-gps mode issue when in sport mode
4577 10 2018-6-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CHEFFY
lvl.2
Flight distance : 164596 ft

Anyone notice when flying in sport mode, the screen will flash a exit p-gps mode for a second or two then resume flying? It almost seems to happen when you go from full throttle press to nothing instantly. Maybe the air brake causes a gps issue until it levels itself out?
2018-6-23
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hello. Sorry for this trouble. Is this the first time that you encounter this issue? Have you tried calibrating the GPS and IMU?
2018-6-23
Use props
CHEFFY
lvl.2

I did calibrate the IMU and GPS already as well. It doesn’t seem to affect the flight at all, but I get worried it may switch to ATTI mode suddenly when your out of VLOS.
2018-6-23
Use props
Mirek6
Second Officer
Flight distance : 609724 ft
Canada

CHEFFY Posted at 2018-6-23 15:42
I did calibrate the IMU and GPS already as well. It doesn’t seem to affect the flight at all, but I get worried it may switch to ATTI mode suddenly when your out of VLOS.

Cheffy,

Interesting. I do not recall forum members noticing this issue before. I certainly did not. I could only speculate that your suspicion of sudden stop causing this may be correct. There are moving parts in Spark: gyroscope and accelerometer. If, due to sudden change of acceleration some measurements gets inconsistent, Spark may exit P-GPS. We have seen h/w issues with gyroscopes and accelerometer before.

But - these are just speculations and, in your case, the culprit may be different.

If you ever drop to ATTI with no VLOS, use your compass on DJI GO App. Little arrow on compass display points where Spark is pointing and will tell you which direction Spark is heading - towards home point, away, sideways? Direct Spark manually and fly back. Or, if safe, start landing manually and than retrieve your Spark.

I would try to avoid Spark going out of VLOS - especially behind any obstacles like buildings and trees. Outside of the fact that, in my country, it is not legal, you are risking losing signal with Spark. It is WiFi and it is not that strong. I have seen some fly-aways when Spark got to ATTI (for whatever reason), and, before pilot could steer it back home, got behind some structure, the signal was lost and Spark just drifted away with the wind.
2018-6-23
Use props
marlowe
lvl.4
Flight distance : 300932 ft
United States

Mirek6 Posted at 2018-6-23 16:09
Cheffy,

Interesting. I do not recall forum members noticing this issue before. I certainly did not. I could only speculate that your suspicion of sudden stop causing this may be correct. There are moving parts in Spark: gyroscope and accelerometer. If, due to sudden change of acceleration some measurements gets inconsistent, Spark may exit P-GPS. We have seen h/w issues with gyroscopes and accelerometer before.

Actually this has been frequently reported and happened to me one time. Speculation has been that Sport mode can be hard on the IMU causing a mismatch between IMU  and GPS causing brief switch to ATTI then back to GPS mode.
2018-6-23
Use props
Mirek6
Second Officer
Flight distance : 609724 ft
Canada

marlowe Posted at 2018-6-23 16:33
Actually this has been frequently reported and happened to me one time. Speculation has been that Sport mode can be hard on the IMU causing a mismatch between IMU  and GPS causing brief switch to ATTI then back to GPS mode.

Yes - thank you. I have not seen it but your post confirms my speculations.
2018-6-23
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

If you put your aircraft on the sport mode it will increase the speed of your aircraft, you can't access the intelligent flight mode and the 3D sensing system is disabled which means your aircraft will not sense any obstacle, therefore, the P-GPS will switch to ATTI mode due to this sports mode.
2018-6-24
Use props
CHEFFY
lvl.2
Canada

DJI Tony Posted at 2018-6-24 12:33
If you put your aircraft on the sport mode it will increase the speed of your aircraft, you can't access the intelligent flight mode and the 3D sensing system is disabled which means your aircraft will not sense any obstacle, therefore, the P-GPS will switch to ATTI mode due to this sports mode.

This is incorrect. I agree when you say 3D sensing is disabled, and so are the intelligent flight modes. But GPS mode should work perfectly fine while in sport flight.
2018-6-24
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

I can put my "findings", just lately, to this:

Even with no speed, switching to sport or back to P, but being in "heigh wind areas" seems to set the spark to Atti
And flying in Sport and in high winds (evenjust straight forward was wobbly), may do that too.
I just got this way a new highspeed ;-) 74.8 kph, and minimum one flight record with a "blink drive" jump.
2018-8-3
Use props
Sparky_17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

this is interesting point that should be checked out a little more to see if anyone else gets the same behavior.  My guess is the sudden stop in movement will cause a GPS issue for a fraction of a second while it levels out.  Could this be the cause for those loosing GPS in Sport Mode?  I guess we should all test it and she what everyone is experiencing and identify any other issued caused by this short GPS connection issue.  Maybe it's nothing but worth a try
2018-8-3
Use props
Jakab Gipsz
Second Officer

Hungary

Mirek6 Posted at 2018-6-23 16:09
Cheffy,

Interesting. I do not recall forum members noticing this issue before. I certainly did not. I could only speculate that your suspicion of sudden stop causing this may be correct. There are moving parts in Spark: gyroscope and accelerometer. If, due to sudden change of acceleration some measurements gets inconsistent, Spark may exit P-GPS. We have seen h/w issues with gyroscopes and accelerometer before.

Mirek! There is evidence that the small compass works correctly when the Spark falls to "ATTI". To do this, you have to have GPS (how you know where it is from home pointer) and compass (how the arrow points to the Spark nose). Those systems are bad, then. how do they show the right direction?
2018-9-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules