Feedback on recent Spark issues
1758 18 2018-6-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JimboHUN
lvl.4
Flight distance : 37156 ft

Hi All,

I had some issues recently and have done some tests finally today with a Samsung Galaxy J3.

My issues recently were:

4.2.12 and 4.2.14 with phone only - all good
4.2.14 with RC - lag issues
4.2.20 with RC - even worse lag issues and unusable video feed, files not saving on phone

Today I flew with 4.2.12 after a full reinstall.

Without cable the lag was around 3-5 seconds, but the feed quality at least has improved compared to 4.2.20. I have tested various distances and my RC antennae was set properly.

With OTG cable it was spotless on the same distance with rare and minor feed errors though I did not go more than 50m away due to the windy weather. So obviously the issue is between the phone and the remote, not the Spark and the remote.

I will keep on looking into options and if no success open a ticket with DJI as I'd like to avoid the use of RTG since it is officially not supported, and in case of issues I am not sure warranty would be applicabe if I fly with OTG.

The issue of not saving images was solved apparently by reducing the cache from 2G to 1G - maybe it was caused by my SD card being 1.88G only.

What amazed me today that RTH worked spotlessly in some wind and landed on the top of the Spark box it took off from (well I had to catch it the last minute as I was worried for the rotors but it was like 20 centimeters exactly over the box). Please see below -picture is from low res verson.

I have managed to score a Samsung Galaxy J5 that is supposed to have stronger HW and I will use that for flying ony, maybe that will improve things. I got it free as the screen is a bit broken

Képkivágás.JPG
2018-6-24
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

Good to know it worked for you.
2018-6-24
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello. Thank you for sharing that information. It well explained and well discussed. I just want to post the list of recommended mobile devices for the DJI Spark for reference.

2018-6-24
Use props
JimboHUN
lvl.4

DJI Stephen Posted at 2018-6-24 06:41
Hello. Thank you for sharing that information. It well explained and well discussed. I just want to post the list of recommended mobile devices for the DJI Spark for reference.

[view_image]

Hi Dji Stephen,

Thank you for your reply.

Are you suggesting then that with these phones ther video feed works OK?

My Android is v7 by the way.

Cheers,
2018-6-24
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

JimboHUN Posted at 2018-6-24 07:51
Hi Dji Stephen,

Thank you for your reply.

Thank you JimboHUN. We do not recommend our DJI Drone owners to use non recommended mobile devices or phones for their Drone. Some non recommended mobile phones can work properly on some aspects of the DJI Go 4 application and might not work properly on some functions. As of the moment, it is better to use the recommended mobile device for safety and accuracy of the Drone.
2018-6-24
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

DJI Stephen Posted at 2018-6-24 08:07
Thank you JimboHUN. We do not recommend our DJI Drone owners to use non recommended mobile devices or phones for their Drone. Some non recommended mobile phones can work properly on some aspects of the DJI Go 4 application and might not work properly on some functions. As of the moment, it is better to use the recommended mobile device for safety and accuracy of the Drone.

Thank you Stephen for Sharing all this Information.

I am sure it will help so many Pilots on this Forum. DJI Customer Care is one of the Best I ever seen !

2018-6-24
Use props
JimboHUN
lvl.4

DJI Stephen Posted at 2018-6-24 08:07
Thank you JimboHUN. We do not recommend our DJI Drone owners to use non recommended mobile devices or phones for their Drone. Some non recommended mobile phones can work properly on some aspects of the DJI Go 4 application and might not work properly on some functions. As of the moment, it is better to use the recommended mobile device for safety and accuracy of the Drone.

Hi Dji Stephen,

So if I am buying a phone from that list I will have no video feed issues please? Currently I have 3-5 seconds of delay.

Thanks again.
2018-6-24
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

JimboHUN Posted at 2018-6-24 08:58
Hi Dji Stephen,

So if I am buying a phone from that list I will have no video feed issues please? Currently I have 3-5 seconds of delay.

DJI Stephen already told you that.
2018-6-24
Use props
JimboHUN
lvl.4

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-6-24 09:01
DJI Stephen already told you Jimbo that you will be Safe.

Good luck !

Hi Mate,

I got him, but I'd prefer a clear yes/no answer. I admit the DJI Team helps a lot but sometimes the replies are too generic to my taste.

Don't want to spend money on a new phone and get the same error :/

I might be able to get hold of an iPone 5 too for testing.

Cheers,
2018-6-24
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

JimboHUN Posted at 2018-6-24 09:09
Hi Mate,

I got him, but I'd prefer a clear yes/no answer. I admit the DJI Team helps a lot but sometimes the replies are too generic to my taste.

Good luck.

2018-6-24
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

JimboHUN Posted at 2018-6-24 08:58
Hi Dji Stephen,

The mobile devices in the recommended list have been tested and the stability can be ensured. Also, the video lag is closely related to the mobile devices and environment, so we suggest to use one of the recommended mobile devices and fly in open filed to see whether the lag appears.
2018-6-24
Use props
JimboHUN
lvl.4

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-6-24 20:21
The mobile devices in the recommended list have been tested and the stability can be ensured. Also, the video lag is closely related to the mobile devices and environment, so we suggest to use one of the recommended mobile devices and fly in open filed to see whether the lag appears.

Thank you.
2018-6-24
Use props
JimboHUN
lvl.4

Hi,

So finally I have had a chance to check out the Samsung Galaxy J5 I got only for flying, as my sister smashed the screen a bit

Which means no other useless aps, no SIM card, etc.

This phone is better than my old one, but still not high end.

I installed DJI GO 4.2.20 and during my test flights the video lag was finally minimal, and no real quality issues like before (green flashes, screen going black, etc).

So apparently it is indeed also up to the phone you are using.

This phone also enabled me to select between 2.4 and 5.8 ghz and both worked pretty fine, even though I am normally not flying away more than 100 meters and I was in the middle of a field. The chached video quality seemed much better with 2.4 once I cheched as home.

Also this phone has a built in compass so the attitude indicator finally also makes sense.

The logs showed no errors at all.

Cheers from a happy camper!
2018-7-1
Use props
fansb5bd6534
lvl.1
Flight distance : 10069 ft
United States

After my update to Go 4.2.20 last month, I experienced severe video breakup on the phone.  Video and stills stored on the SD card were fine.  (I'm flying a Mavic Pro with a Samsung Galaxy S7 running Android OS 8).  I was all ready to send the unit into the repair shop but called DJI support first.  They have identified a known issues with Go 4.2.20 and Android OS8, and suggested I roll back to an earlier version.  I went back to 4.2.14 and all is well.  App load time and video response time is much much better as well.  The support person said they are working on the problem.   I hope this avoids some heart ache for others.
  Doug
2018-7-11
Use props
S.J
Second Officer
Flight distance : 322454 ft
Kuwait

Vers 4.2.12 seems to best stable version for the moment.
2018-7-12
Use props
JimboHUN
lvl.4
Hungary

S.J Posted at 2018-7-12 02:47
Vers 4.2.12 seems to best stable version for the moment.

Yep, worked like a charm on my older phone. Though my newer phone works spotless with 4.2.20 too.

Cheers,
2018-7-12
Use props
S.J
Second Officer
Japan

JimboHUN Posted at 2018-7-12 08:18
Yep, worked like a charm on my older phone. Though my newer phone works spotless with 4.2.20 too.

Cheers,

Which phone are you using and what is the RAM size ?
2018-7-12
Use props
JimboHUN
lvl.4

S.J Posted at 2018-7-12 10:01
Which phone are you using and what is the RAM size ?

Hi,

Samsung Galaxy J2 1.5G RAM 1.5 Ghz quad core - worked well with 4.2.12 only.
Samsung Galaxy J5 2G RAM 1.6 Ghz 8 cores, no SIM, no apps, works well with 4.2.20.

Cheers,
2018-7-12
Use props
S.J
Second Officer
Kuwait

JimboHUN Posted at 2018-7-12 11:44
Hi,

Samsung Galaxy J2 1.5G RAM 1.5 Ghz quad core - worked well with 4.2.12 only.

thank you for the info.
2018-7-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules