Phantom 4 Vision sensor fail and fly away
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jet760
lvl.1
Flight distance : 28471 ft
Australia

Hi I have a new Phantom 4 Advance that has had a vision sensor fail, Pleae see screen photo. The airecraft was hovering at about 3m then started to decend on its own. I stopped this by going up but when I released the stick it kept climbing and would not stop when I let the stick go, I was able to land. this was the aircrafts first flight. I do not have any 3rd part attachments added to the drone under the sensors. I restarted the drone and it flew ok. The next day I was hovering about 5-8m above the ground in course lock mode about to test it out. After testing it out a little I set myself up to do a fly past. just then it started moving backwards on its own. I stoped this using the forward pitch (as this is the direction I had set the orrintation in course lock) this stoped it and moved forwad. I let go the stick and then it start moving backwards again but this time alot faster, this is all without any inputs from myself. to stop this I had to push forwards stick hard. I released the stick it stoped and then did it again. I looked at the screen and saw a vision system error warning , but this time it appers to be the front sensors unlike the day before when it was the bottom sensors. I was able to turn the vision system off and bring it back and land safely. Unfortantly I was unable to get a screen shot of this errror. After reviewing the flight in the DJI go4 app, and watching the stick movements at the time it is clear the aircraft did these movements on its own without any inputs from me.
As I mentioned this is a brand new drone , never crashed or Knocked around. It is now untrustworthy to fly.
Please Help.
2018-06-23 16.08.14-2.jpg
2018-6-24
Use props
R&L Aerial photography
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Did you reboot everything and if so did all the error reappear?
2018-6-24
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Why don't you post the flight log here, and let folks have a look.
2018-6-24
Use props
Jet760
lvl.1
Australia

R&L Aerial photography Posted at 2018-6-24 03:27
Did you reboot everything and if so did all the error reappear?

It has happened twice, the second time almost crashing the drone so dont really want to test it again. I have left if on and not errors on the ground
2018-6-24
Use props
Jet760
lvl.1
Australia

ALABAMA Posted at 2018-6-24 03:34
Why don't you post the flight log here, and let folks have a look.

How do I upload a flight log?
2018-6-24
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>

Jet760 Posted at 2018-6-24 03:43
How do I upload a flight log?

You can do this here:
http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
Instructions included. Once you have the link come back here and post it in a reply.
But I don't think that's gonna give us more info.

Try to calibrate the vision sensors:

2018-6-24
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hello there. We apologize for the inconvenience that you're having right now. Can you try to calibrate the vision system using DJI Assistant 2? If not, you can refer to this tutorial:
2018-6-24
Use props
Jet760
lvl.1
Australia

DJI Wanda Posted at 2018-6-24 04:48
Hello there. We apologize for the inconvenience that you're having right now. Can you try to calibrate the vision system using DJI Assistant 2? If not, you can refer to this tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkV1rhG7YpU

The problem is if this does not work I run the risk of crashing as it almost did today as it flew away.
2018-6-24
Use props
Jet760
lvl.1
Australia

DJI Wanda Posted at 2018-6-24 04:48
Hello there. We apologize for the inconvenience that you're having right now. Can you try to calibrate the vision system using DJI Assistant 2? If not, you can refer to this tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkV1rhG7YpU

If this doesn't work I could crash the drone as when the errors happened the drone showed a extreme flying on its own. please advise warranty will still replace if this occurs . Or I can send DJI the flight log to show how the aircraft moved away on its own with no input from the pilot
2018-6-24
Use props
Spirytus
lvl.2
Flight distance : 126864 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Jet760 Posted at 2018-6-24 05:31
If this doesn't work I could crash the drone as when the errors happened the drone showed a extreme flying on its own. please advise warranty will still replace if this occurs . Or I can send DJI the flight log to show how the aircraft moved away on its own with no input from the pilot

In my experience DJI support has been quite good in honoring their warranty but what you're looking for is written guarantee on a public forum -- I don't think you'll get that here.

My suggestion:

Since your Phantom is still brand new (I.E. within the exchange period), and assuming you purchased it from the DJI store:

• Raise a ticket with DJI support for the VPS issue you described ASAP.
  • After a short wait they'll advise you to perform the calibration that Wanada posted, also possibly the controller and compass.
  • If you feel uncomfortable flying regardless, you can discuss your concern with the service rep. Likely he/she will send you a shipping label to send your drone off to a repair station; You will be able to get an exchange or a refund.

Depending where you live, in can take some time (for me in Canada takes roughly 3 ~ 4 weeks) before the replacement arrives.

If you purchased it through another retailer, talk to them about an exchange.

Stating that, I would definitely try the VPS calibration first. Once successfully calibrated I would:
  • Test the controller in the simulator that comes with assistant 2 (make sure your propelers are off). Once done:
  • Go to an an empty football field somewhere.
  • Power on the drone and turn off VPS through the GO4 app and wait for near full satelite bars.
  • Check the heading of the drone, make sure it is correct by looking (expanding) the map.
  • Make sure the GO4 app is in beginner mode and/or make sure the controller toggle is set to P Mode then take off to an altitude of 15m (or higher).
  • Test GPS lock is working (P mode) let it hover for a bit to make sure.
  • Then finally switch on VPS and test it carefully by descending below 10m and hovering infront of you etc...

Your flight experience seems to differ however, so if in doubt, just send it back and let them deal with it while you get a new one.

P.S. I have to ask; The VPS cameras come with protective stickers, you removed them yes? The cameras are not abstructed / covered by something right?
2018-6-24
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

If this doesn't work I could crash the drone as when the errors happened the drone showed a extreme flying on its own. please advise warranty will still replace if this occurs . Or I can send DJI the flight log to show how the aircraft moved away on its own with no input from the pilot

If calibration didn't work, we highly suggest to send it to our repair center to have it check by our engineers to confirm what could possibly be the problem.
2018-6-24
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>

Just shut all sensors off and take off again.
As a precaution you might want to do this in beginner mode.
If the drone behaves well you know it's the sensors. Then just calibrate them.

No need to get a support ticket for doing this. It's a process recommended by DJI and you won't lose warranty.
And if you don't succed on your first calibration: Do it again.
I had difficulties the first time as my cable to the computer was too short and I was fighting hard to turn the drone as needed. :-)
On my 2nd try it went well.

2018-6-24
Use props
Porkhunt
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1417 ft

Those damn little green men! They tried to take mine over as well! Negotiations were made, 3 "Mars Bars" later I got control of it again!
2018-6-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules